Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I am wanting to change it so that Lockpicks aren't consumed upon use. There is the Tools RootTemplate from the Main.pak that has a flag for whether it's consumed on use.

I can change that, but since this is the first thing I am trying to change in the game I'm not sure what I would need to do in order for that to apply in-game for the main campaign.

Would I need to re-pak the Main file and replace it in the Divinity folder, or is there a more modular way to make such a small change?

Edit:
I have successfully made a mod that makes lockpicks unbreakable, located here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/teea1ty3ztrdk5a/Unbreakable_Lockpicks.zip

The folders just need to be extracted to the corresponding folders in the Divinity filepath.

This is a Proof of Concept version, so minimal testing has been done. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by Rhidian; 08/07/14 01:01 PM.
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
My attempt to make a mod has thus far not been working.

I tried to create a new mod in the Editor that has a dependency upon the Main module. Then when I loaded up a level (Cyseal) I tried to change the Lockpick template in the Template viewer/editor, but ran into a message saying that it failed to save the change to the actual Tools.lsb due to a lack of developer rights. I'm not wanting to change the actual Tools.lsb, so I gave up on that route.

I then tried creating my own Tools.lsb file in Public/%ModName%/RootTemplates/Tools.lsb. The Editor (with adminstrator privileges) seemingly lets me change it, but when I try to activate the mod in-game it fails to start a new game due to there being no level to load.

So I'm not sure how I should be going about this.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
<snip>
So the basic issue is that right now it's impossible for a separate module to modify the templates of the Main campaign in a modular way. Sure, I could unpak everything and modify the Main files directly, but that will undoubtedly run into issues later down the line.

All of this leads me to believe that I need to create something new instead. Ideally, I would like to create a talent that requires Lockpicking 1 and has the effect I'm looking for. Does anyone know how I could go about creating a custom talent?

Turns out I failed to set a starting level/menu theme when I tried creating my mod earlier. After setting them appropriately, I tried it out and it works! The lockpick found in the tutorial dungeon has the custom description I made and wasn't consumed on use.

Picture of modded lockpick:
http://imgur.com/4RL1wUg

For the sake of others, here is what I did:
1. In the Divinity Engine, I created a new module with a dependency upon Main in both boxes. I called mine "Unbreakable Lockpicks". Starting scene is Character creation.

2. I copied the Tools.lsb file from the unpacked Main.pak file (in the unpacked files, the location is Public/Main/RootTemplates/Tools.lsb) to a new file I made.

The full file path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\Unbreakable_Lockpicks_b3d9a065-c492-43f2-b92f-409972047149\RootTemplates\Tools.lsb

3. Using LStools, I removed every Template in the new Tools.lsb file except for the Lockpick entry. I changed the Lockpick entry to the one I want.

4. I loaded my module in the Divinity Engine with administrator priveleges to make sure that the changes were there. This step is probably not needed, but it's effectively what I did because I forgot the Starting scene the first time. I Checked Out the modded lockpick (the Check Out button at the top of the sidebar when viewing the Template) just in case and saved the mod.

5. I went into the game, activated the mod, started a new campaign and found the lockpick in the picture above. I then used it to unlock the chest nearby and saw that it wasn't consumed.

Full disclosure: I haven't tested any further than seeing that the lockpicks were in the Tutorial dungeon. I don't know if there are any unwarranted issues.

Last edited by Rhidian; 08/07/14 12:34 PM.
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Alright, so I managed to save the game, change the description of the lockpick, reload the game save, and notice the changes. So theoretically, this should work with any save and not require starting a new game (but don't take my word on it, since I have done minimal testing).

Here is a link where you can download the mod files and try it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/teea1ty3ztrdk5a/Unbreakable_Lockpicks.zip

The folders just need to be extracted to the corresponding folders in the Divinity filepath.

Basically what I want to know is whether this mod is usable by others. More specifically, I'm wondering whether this is the method through which mods can be shared.

That being said, use it at your own risk.

Edit: It appears that game-saves are Mod-Locked. As in, a game save without the mod enabled is incapable of using the mod, and games that start with a Mod enabled will always use that mod even if it's deactivated in the main menu. So no retroactive effects on existing game saves.

Edit #2: And it seems that only one mod can be used at a time. If multiple mods are activated, only the top one functions. I created an additional mod that changed the Rain scroll at the beginning of the game so that it doesn't go away when used. Using that and the Unbreakable Lockpick mod, one of them failed to function depending on which one was lower in the priority list.

It might be possible to get around this by making mods that are dependent upon the other ones, but this doesn't look good for multiple mods that change the main campaign.

Last edited by Rhidian; 08/07/14 03:04 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
I was curious if you've thought about doing something similar with the trap removal tools? I have yet to try out the editor for this game myself, but I've done a bit of modding with other games, and after reading some of your posts it doesn't seem overly difficult so I may try it out if there isn't already something for that.

journeyman
journeyman
Rhidian what value did you change in the Editor to stop the lockpicks being consumed on use? Was it TreasureOnDestroy or IsDestroyed?

Like Sticks2681, I'd like to do this for all the tools such as the Trap Removal tools and Indentifying Glass tools and so on.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
In the Sidebar, there should be a box that says OnPeaceUsed or OnUsed or something like that, with its action "lockpick" in the value field. Click the button to change that value, and then in the window that pops up you can uncheck the "ConsumeOnUse" for the Lockpicking use.

journeyman
journeyman
Aha! I found it. Thanks Rhidian smile

Link Copied to Clipboard