Print Thread
#513025 08/07/14 12:27 PM
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Just finished game.

My tank warrior (not even lead-main) is immune to everything, have 2.5k HP, never miss a hid and does insane damage both single and aoe. And even more with "resistance nulify" and Rage. Elemental damage does nothing to her, all physical damage drown in shield-blocking.

I have 2 mages (pyromancer and support-jahan), melee rogue and this monster. On last boss melee rogue missed EVERY HIT and damage was ridiculous even with stealth+backstab perk.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Yeah, the resist system is pretty broken late-game. Your guys become immune to, our outright get healed by, all elemental effects, which is an especially apparent problem with warriors since they get that huge bonus all resist talent.

It's not really a warrior problem, though. I had a mage late-game that was doing the same thing you describe your warrior doing, although I guess he needed a little bit better gear to pull it off, and his damage was lower - at least single-target.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Stupid question, but is it possible to purposely gimp resistances on your warrior for more of a challenge?

It would appear to me that in a late game situation, your characters should be fairly powerful, kick ass and take names? Is this an issue with the resist system itself or a matter of personal character design choices (game play) made by the user?

A good analogy maybe (if you know the Gothic reference), the game plays like vanilla Gothic 2, and some users hoped it played more like NOTR (more difficult and unforgiving).

D
stranger
stranger
D
With resistances on almost all gear, in addition to perks and skills, it is indeed easy to gain immunity to almost everything. Maybe it would be better if resistances were capped at something like 50% from gear.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Dwel
With resistances on almost all gear, in addition to perks and skills, it is indeed easy to gain immunity to almost everything. Maybe it would be better if resistances were capped at something like 50% from gear.

I understand that, but again, isn't this more a matter of user choice rather than game mechanics? Just don't equip gear that would leave you with 100 % (or more) resistances?

In other words, why should the designers purposely gimp resistances overall to suit a particular play style for some when they have designed a game where this is more a matter of the choices the player makes for themselves?

A
stranger
stranger
A
Why would you gimp your character purposely though just because the developers made an unbalanced game?

I think people expect a challenging game in D:OS, if that is not warranted because of an easily abusable oversight, I think something is wrong with the game design, not with the player who tries to optimize his characters in order to prepare for the challenges that lie ahead.

Stock Trader #1: This is a stock exchange! There's no money you can steal!
Bane: Really? Then why are you people here?
-The Dark Knight Rises
C
stranger
stranger
C
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay
Why would you gimp your character purposely though just because the developers made an unbalanced game?

I think people expect a challenging game in D:OS, if that is not warranted because of an easily abusable oversight, I think something is wrong with the game design, not with the player who tries to optimize his characters in order to prepare for the challenges that lie ahead.

I would be interested to know if the OP played in Hard or Normal mode?

I am afraid I don't have an opinion yet as to whether or not the game is unbalanced, simply due to the sheer number of ways a character can be designed, perks and abilities chosen, etc. Clearly, some abilities and perks are more overpowered then others.

I would imagine there will be quite a few tweaks in store, and with the modding community, a variation created that would make the game far more challenging for the more hardcore amongst us.

D
stranger
stranger
D
If one plays the game as the game is intended to be played (in this case, just progressing as one likes, collecting gear, leveling up, etc.), and the game becomes too easy due to the increased power of the player, then I believe it to be a failure in the difficulty curve of the game.

You can't expect the player to voluntarily gimp himself just to address the game's inability to provide a proper challenge (or rather, to account for the player's growth, both in power and experience).

As far as I've read, Hard Mode only modifies the odds of hitting (-20% or so for the player, and +10% for the AI). Maybe the Hard Mode should also affect resistances in a similar way.

Last edited by Dwel; 08/07/14 06:42 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Hard mode doesn't make it any harder in the late-game, just more tedious. You can't die from the damage you take anyway, so any more or less health doesn't matter. All it does is make the encounters last a little longer.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I totally agree on this. The resistance need a Malus on Normal and Hard. On top of that the perk for +50% restiance on warrior needs lowered. maybe even lower the resistance you can get from gear and the ruby enchants. Potion become useless after the firist half of the game.

The rage buff and the witchcraft +50% dmg boost is too insance imo, also cut it by half :>
But even without this buffs melee still do crazy dmg, dont even know how to fix that.

Spelldmg became useless for me since the enemys get good resists and sometimes there are more or less immun to ever spell lol. But physical + tenebrium dmg holds the whole game, since you can cut the enemy armor by half with silver arrow.

I think larrian should take some note in the combat/stat balance of divinity. It makes fun to push your characters to be better for sure, at least in the first half of the game, after that they are basically overpowered. Not just warriors, i guess you can do this with every class setup.

edit: with my infight-buffed madora 2hander i reached 1400 dmg on sheet at the end. And that was even without the +50% dmg buff from witchcraft lol! i played without witch.

So imagine a 2h 800-1400 dmg madora get teleported by featherfall into 4 mobs without used a single skill yet besides rage. She has bless, haste, inspire form my other tank.

if every hit of flurry crits ( depending on the enemys armor of course ) you could to up to 6k dmg with 8 points lol! whirlwind + dustdevil basically whiped out every mob in range. Everything that not died, my other tank finished with his cheap 3point 1h attacks.

i mean i cant imagine how to push a caster or ranger to do this numbers, but i guess they have their equal Op'ness.

The only other monster i could imagine would be a dagger rouge with glasscanon and witchcraft, arms. 100% more dmg with 1 point dagger backstabs lol.

Last edited by Actionhanz; 08/07/14 07:37 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Mages have the ability to do way more Cleave/Aoe Damage then Melee. Plus you realize everything you're saying it based on the fact is that you're saying "My END GAME character is amazing sauce with END GAME GEAR".

That sort of applies to most solid builds (in normal anyway).

The only playstyle that seems to be gimped right now is a Rogue Backstab style.

Link Copied to Clipboard