Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
First off, I love Role playing games, probably my favorite Genre. I was super excited about Dragon Age 3, the next Mass Effect and Fallout games (whenever they would be announced) and even liked a few of the smaller, less known RPGs like Mount and Blade and Kingdoms of Amalur.

However, this game has completely spoiled me with how good it is. MY friend and I were actually talking about Dragon Age and I just said "huh, no matter how good it is I probably won't enjoy it because I've been spoiled."

enthusiast
enthusiast
Dragon Age: Origins is really good though if you're talking about that on your last sentence.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by henryv
Dragon Age: Origins is really good though if you're talking about that on your last sentence.

Lol, talking about the newest one, Inquisition. But that is a great game though.

stranger
stranger
Dragon Age: Inquisition caught my attention when they announced that they were bringing back Tactical view. I'm very hesitant about buying new or preordering it though, Dragons Age 2 was an insult to PC gaming. Bioware have changed a lot over the last few years , especially since EA got their grubby fingers in the pie, and I for one can no longer trust in their product until they can prove otherwise.

Larian Studios on the other hand, have nailed it. Through their transparency during development, to their mediation with the community, they have created a product that represents almost exactly what I want in an RPG. There are a few things that I would prefer to be different in the game, but they are minor irritations compared to what they did right.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Madkat124
First off, I love Role playing games, probably my favorite Genre. I was super excited about Dragon Age 3, the next Mass Effect and Fallout games (whenever they would be announced) and even liked a few of the smaller, less known RPGs like Mount and Blade and Kingdoms of Amalur.

However, this game has completely spoiled me with how good it is. MY friend and I were actually talking about Dragon Age and I just said "huh, no matter how good it is I probably won't enjoy it because I've been spoiled."

Here is the thing. You weren't really playing RPGs as much as you were playing wannabe action games with shallow RPG features. This is how RPGs used to be. Here is to hoping more are made again!

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Flaggerbastard
Dragon Age: Inquisition caught my attention when they announced that they were bringing back Tactical view.

Don't do it... Seriously... don't!!!!

If you have to, wait about 6-12 months after release and pick it up out of a junk bin sale for dirt cheap. Don't enable EA, let them die out like they should.

Last edited by Tanist; 08/07/14 10:33 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Tanist
Here is the thing. You weren't really playing RPGs as much as you were playing wannabe action games with shallow RPG features. This is how RPGs used to be. Here is to hoping more are made again!

What features, specifically, does D:OS have that these "wannabe action games with shallow RPG features" don't have that makes it not shallow?

old hand
old hand
With the tactical view back, Inquisition does look more like Baldur's Gate and Origins again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All that I'm worried about is choices not having consequences, Bioware messed up big time here with DA2 and ME3.

Last edited by Demonic; 08/07/14 10:42 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Simulacrum

What features, specifically, does D:OS have that these "wannabe action games with shallow RPG features" don't have that makes it not shallow?

Not a question of have/don't have exactly, it is an issue of focus. The focus of the games he listed are cheap story interaction (BioRomance, or action play, etc...) Not on detailed character development and its interaction within the game.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Demonic

All that I'm worried about is choices not having consequences, Bioware messed up big time here with DA2 and ME3.

Well, I don't consider RTwP to be a shining example of tactical play. Baldurs gate while entertaining was not my generation of cRPG, the gold box and similar style games were which each had true turn based play.

I can understand how you want dialog choices to have consequences, that is one element of tactical play in an RPG, but I also like combat to have many consequences as well. When a player is forced to consider each stage of their approach, to account for it by the round, you get much more interesting gameplay imo. Which is why I think D:OS is doing so well.

Last edited by Tanist; 08/07/14 10:48 PM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Not a question of have/don't have exactly, it is an issue of focus. The focus of the games he listed are cheap story interaction (BioRomance, or action play, etc...) Not on detailed character development and its interaction within the game.

Removing the radial wheel or not voice-acting all dialogue doesn't change the content of the dialogue. This "detailed character development and its interaction within the game" is something that D:OS lacks just as much as the aforementioned titles.

Unless you can be more specific than that I'm not seeing the difference.

Last edited by Simulacrum; 08/07/14 10:49 PM.
old hand
old hand

Mount and Blade actually has a focus on kingdom building and is more of a sandbox RPG where you go out and make your own character's story.

If Dragon Age 3 is anything like Origins then we can expect detailed character development and its interaction within the game. It already has the tactical camera back so it's possible to play it like Origins again.

Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect and Fallout I've give you though. Those are actiony RPG's and out of them, IMO, only the first two Mass Effects are any good as RPG's (the third one felt like nothing more than a shooter with RPG elements). Kingdoms of Amalur had horrible combat and felt like a clone of Fable and TES. Fallout 3 played like a terrible shooter with RPG elements.

I also like combat to have many consequences as well. When a player is forced to consider each stage of their approach, to account for it by the round, you get much more interesting gameplay imo. Which is why I think D:OS is doing so well.

I agree on that. One of the reasons why I'm enjoying Original Sin.

Last edited by Demonic; 08/07/14 10:51 PM.
G
stranger
stranger
G
I'm loving Original Sin as well (in fact I think it's a 10/10), but I haven't found it to ruin any other RPGs for me.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Simulacrum

Removing the radial wheel or not voice-acting all dialogue doesn't change the content of the dialogue. This "detailed character development and its interaction within the game" is something that D:OS lacks just as much as the aforementioned titles.

Unless you can be more specific than that I'm not seeing the difference.

Story interaction is merely one component of an RPG.

old hand
old hand
To me a good game is a good game, I have high hopes for both Witcher and Dragon Age, what excites me most by far with DA is they are using the Frostbite engine, this will be a first in Bioware history having an engine that doesn't need to load a new area ever couple city blocks. It's hard for me to get a great sense of adventure when the areas are small and the loads are long. If they nail the tactics and their action method is as good as DA2 (no matter how many people want to pan DA2, there are a lot of people that never paused it and played it as an action game) if they nail both sides, there is going to be a lot of happy players.

How high has D:OS raised the bar for Wasteland 2? Torment? & Pillars? There is your competition, having mods and coop are huge beni's to D:OS.

A
stranger
stranger
A
With the tactical view back, Inquisition does look more like Baldur's Gate and Origins again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry but the UI alone is enough to make me wanna puke - also even tough they said that its gonna be more tactical - everything they showed off made me think they finally gone all the way to a hack and slash.

I mean just look at that ugly awful UI - looks like they stole the Sci-Fi- Theme from Mass Effect ...

Not to mention the stupid character voice-system which simply doesnt work since you pretty much never are in control of how and what your char actually says.

Nothing bioware has done so fare convinced me that they are on track again ...

Last edited by Areason; 08/07/14 11:39 PM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Tbh divinity is a big deal for me no question. But before i give it the title "Holy Grail of Rpgs" i would have to forget all the stuff which are totally crap in this game. Maybe the fanboys are too blind to realize:

- Amateur written Story in General
- Amateur written Conversations
- no real Depth in the Gameworld
- Very linear Gamedesign, my second playthrough will exactly be the same, even if i change some directions, it will be the exact same outcome
- Very small World
- No full voice acting
- no "real" freedom in the world ( well how if its so small lol )

You cant just ignore these stuff. It is good 100% but its not the Holy grail, and its definitly NOT an overall awesome RPG even if oyu wish that. Try to be mature and look at it with a clear and sane mind.

Give your feedback in that way and you can help them either improve it to be the game you wish, or to create a better one. But dont be silly lol.

.. and just to make clear that im no hater or troll, the positives totally outweight the downsides.

- very good Character development system ( with some imbalances )
- Perfect choosen Artstyle ( terrain, colours, textures, effects )
- Very impressive Music which i might never forget lol
- Pretty good amount of content playtime ( even on a smallscale world )
- most of all the flawless combatsystem, better then everything i saw till now. Works perfect, is most of the time logic, very innovative and excellent executed. ( sometimes imbalance )

V
stranger
stranger
V
Planescape was the king of tactical combat, to the point where there are only perhaps 5 mandatory fights in the whole game. This is a great game for what it is, which is a tight mechanical RPG. The story is okay, but I like the voice work and the animations as well as the ability to chat with silly animals.

I have not enjoyed any free roaming world since Fallout 2.

This game is 100% on the mechanics, the art and general animation and ambiance but the story could have been improved, and branching could have been introduced, but the latter is quite difficult to get right, so I don't miss it. I have played Syberia 1 & 2 four or five times and you can't change anything, so whatever.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
To me a good game is a good game,...

Well, that is fine. I like playing many types of games as well, but when I feel like eating beef, I want beef, not chicken smothered in beef sauce.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T

If Dragon Age 3 is anything like Origins then we can expect detailed character development and its interaction within the game. It already has the tactical camera back so it's possible to play it like Origins again.

Thing is... it is EA. They will screw it up, guaranteed. Their problems with game design runs extremely deep in the company. Short of EA breaking up and studios going rogue, It is almost certain to be another DA2 garbage gimmick release. These guys can't make good games to save their lives anymore.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard