Page 1 of 2 1 2
#512269 07/07/14 08:12 PM
E
eNTi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
i've received my physical copy of dos today... the cloth map is HIDEOUS.

gog is UNABLE to provide working http links to download the game from. they keep telling me to use the downloader... nonononononono. fuck, this is so infuriating.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Seriously, when you have a physical item and you say it's "HIDEOUS" then you have to provide a picture.. otherwise we got not clue what you mean ;P

And if you have a problem with GOG..well... GOG is responsible for GOG things, not larian wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
I downloaded a copy from GOG. Just use the downloader. It is fine. Don't make a fuss about it.

veteran
veteran
It means that the cloth map is of very poor quality and I wholeheartedly agree. Easily the most disappointing piece of the CE.

WOOS
veteran
veteran
I'm still waiting on my CE, although a friend received theirs and had a similar complaint about the map. Something about the print on it being so low quality that it was difficult to make anything out. That's disappointing to hear. I wonder if everyone's map has that issue.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by LordCrash
It means that the cloth map is of very poor quality and I wholeheartedly agree. Easily the most disappointing piece of the CE.

No - that would be the missing dice smile

As noted in another thread I bought my CE from a local supplier and had no idea the dice were going to be missing - and then couldn't get the 'olive branch' early access when I found out as I didn't get it from Larian.

Gaming dinosaur!!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TonyD

As noted in another thread I bought my CE from a local supplier and had no idea the dice were going to be missing - and then couldn't get the 'olive branch' early access when I found out as I didn't get it from Larian.

Well, there is a large picture of the content of the CE printed on the back, isn't it? wink

Dice,hm. I already have tons of them so no big loss for me.

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Ah, but do you have the Larian Studios dice pouch that was lost with it? wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gyson
Ah, but do you have the Larian Studios dice pouch that was lost with it? wink

I can live without. But the cloth map...it's just bad. Really bad imo.

WOOS
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
All we wanted was the game we were sold, in a box, with the soundtrack, a good manual and nice cloth map. We were happy with that. We didn't ask for dice (just as well), or an art book or the miriad other pieces of pointless flop.. In trying to do too much, Larian have spread themselves far too thin, too many compromises.. which has affected the general quality of the production as a whole.

It all feels too rushed and incomplete.. and the lack of communication on some very important matters just feels tacky, as if they know full well they have things to hide and are carrying on full steam ahead in that direction.

It could all have been done a lot better. I paid early admission once, I won't do it again, next time I'll be waiting til the full product, patched and all, is completed.

The game is good, heaps and heaps of potential and cracking great fun, but there's been too much bullshit involved.

Last edited by wibble; 08/07/14 09:25 AM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by TonyD

Well, there is a large picture of the content of the CE printed on the back, isn't it? wink

Dice,hm. I already have tons of them so no big loss for me.

Ha ha - nice one. Yes - I did notice the picture on the back when the game arrived was missing the dice - unlike the one on the website when I ordered it - which had them smile

It is kind of big for me - I have some really nice dice sets in all sorts of dice bags and was looking for another. Ah well - at least I am enjoying the game.

Gaming dinosaur!!
stranger
stranger
Yup, I was expecting to have the cloth map stuck on my wall as an old rugged parchment, but, it's really bad, you can't see almost anything...

The jewel of the CE for me is the 2 steam keys, everything else is average at best =(

My gaming Motion-Comics (and others, like normal manga or western style artworks)
https://bio-dio.wix.com/primus-animations
F
journeyman
journeyman
F

Yeah they screwed up the thing, it's half the size of MMX standard box cloth map, and the color tend be very dark with a reduced color palette, and overall unreadable.

Moreover it's so thin that it's sort of transparent and finally the texture is a sort of synthetic a bit weird that probably try mimic silk but totally fail.

veteran
veteran
For me everything but the cloth map I'm happy with when I opened my CE wink !

The map is indeed dark, unreadable ... frown and it seems to me the words on the map are in Russian language ? Not that I've problems with Russians ... but I can't understand a word of it :hihi: !

I'm planning to try something with this cloth map ...
and when I succeed I let you all know,
but on this moment I can't promise nothing at all ... wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Originally Posted by eNTi
gog is UNABLE to provide working http links to download the game from. they keep telling me to use the downloader... nonononononono. fuck, this is so infuriating.
I've just checked the GOG installer links and they seem to work fine (without the downloader). What is the exact problem you are encountering? (i.e. what error number if one is given). Edit: GOG have added a patch for the 1.0.57 update too.

I've just received the CE box and I agree with the comments about the map (though the labels are in runic rather than Russian). It's no comparison to the maps supplied with the Ultima sets of yore.

However I also requested (and received email confirmation from Larian of) a proper DRM-free DVD. Instead, the DVD received tries to install Steam making it coaster-worthy for anyone running an offline system, or those who want nothing to do with Steam's insecure software and objectionable EULAs.

Last edited by Stargazer; 08/07/14 12:30 PM.
Had response from Larian about DVDs - the DRM-free DVDs will be sent out once available so I'm guessing they decided to post the box now rather than keep backers waiting.

E
eNTi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
the graphics are shit. the colour is shit. the border looks like a construction warning tape (with shit color). the so called "cloth" feels like the cheapest plastic fabric you can think of. the quality is so sub par. i think an intern did the map in 1h hour and then they messed up the printing process because the material melted when they tried to print. most of the colour must have then dissipated into the material and thus everything became a brown mold.

this map is OBJECTIVELY SHIT. the worst disappointment possible. a slap in the face. the map was the sole reason i bought into that ks tier in the first place. now i know why they never showed the map before delivery. i even bought the game for a friend as well, just to support larian. NEVER again. why do i have to be disappointed by this industry constantly? fuck you larian... FUCK you.

Last edited by eNTi; 29/08/14 08:36 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
the graphics are shit. the colour is shit. the border looks like a construction warning tape (with shit color). the so called "cloth" feels like the cheapest plastic fabric you can think of. the quality is so sub par. i think an intern did the map in 1h hour and then they messed up the printing process because the material melted when they tried to print. most of the colour must have then dissipated into the material and thus everything became a brown mold.

this map is OBJECTIVELY SHIT. the worst disappointment possible. a slap in the face. the map was the sole reason i bought into that ks tier in the first place. now i know why they never showed the map before delivery. i even bought the game for a friend as well, just to support larian. NEVER again. why do i have to be disappointed by this industry constantly? fuck you larian... FUCK you.

Can you flip over the tape measure to get a read in inches?...:) We Americans are still on the English system, and I keep forgetting the conversions.

Edit: Nevermind. 1 inch = 2.54 cm

Last edited by Waltc; 29/08/14 05:12 PM.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stargazer
I've just checked the GOG installer links and they seem to work fine (without the downloader). What is the exact problem you are encountering? (i.e. what error number if one is given). Edit: GOG have added a patch for the 1.0.57 update too.

I download everything from Gog via my browser without a problem. Last time I used the gog downloader was years ago. His problem isn't in the purview of Gog--it's his local ISP that is the problem somehow. I'm running the Gog 1.0.132 version.

I've just received the CE box and I agree with the comments about the map (though the labels are in runic rather than Russian). It's no comparison to the maps supplied with the Ultima sets of yore.

Good call...I remember the old Ultima maps as well. But I think that people should recall that the dissemination of cloth maps actually preceded quality in-game mapping. I really used the Ultima maps as a guide to get around, and they did look good on the wall (for awhile.) But now that games do such a splendid job of in-game mapping, cloth maps just don't serve the purpose they once did. Nice as curios, I expect, but entirely inferior to the game's built-in mapping, imo.

However I also requested (and received email confirmation from Larian of) a proper DRM-free DVD. Instead, the DVD received tries to install Steam making it coaster-worthy for anyone running an offline system, or those who want nothing to do with Steam's insecure software and objectionable EULAs.

Hopefully you have a DVD burner. If not, you can pick them up for ~$15 or more. Just format a blank DVD & copy & paste your Gog executable to your DVD and you are done--your DRM-free installation copy has been created.

You can back up all of your Gog games that way--and not have to worry about Steam being in offline mode, etc.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
E
eNTi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Waltc
Originally Posted by Stargazer

my point is that it didn't work on release... and then it took them a month or so to fix their "ip miss match on download problem". they got there eventually and it works now. i wanted to play on release without jumping through hoops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard