Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
addict
addict
i always play in easy. less frustration

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
journeyman
journeyman
I've switched back and forth on settings. I started the alpha in normal and continued in that in the beta and completed that first level that way.

This time around I've started on easy to get a feel for the whole thing but you can switch back and forth at any time which I think is a nice touch. Allows for some experimentation with tactics and testing the ai.

addict
addict
I normally jump right into the hardest mode (especially since most modern games have gimped the hard mode into normal). For D:OS, I'm playing on normal the first time through. My second time, I'll try hard.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I'm playing coop on hard. It's difficult, but personally I really like it. Every fight feels like a new strategic puzzle that we have to figure out.

My friend and I have had to set up oil roadblocks, place some strategic barrels, then cleverly time our teleport spells to win some fights. But I think this is great. Yes, it does make the game take longer, we've probably played for 18 hours and are still in Cyseal, but I have absolutely no problem with that.

apprentice
apprentice
Since we're all sharing so nicely without judging, I started normal, and at 75% of the way through Cyseal switched to hard. Like others here, I found normal to be a fun challenge; once I got my strategy down, I wanted to be challenged again.

There were a few times I considered putting it back to normal--Braccus Rex and his goons were very difficult, and I was determined not to cheese the fight. 3rd time in with more attentive CC, counter elements (ice on Twins), and the help of fire resistance scrolls, I pulled through, and found it very rewarding. smile

N
stranger
stranger
N
Normal here. There are short bouts where fights can be fairly challenging. Evelyn kicked my ass a bunch of times for instance. And also if you run in an area slightly higher level than you are. But overall I think its fine.

I'm definitely not ready for Hard tho.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by cilantroll
There were a few times I considered putting it back to normal--Braccus Rex and his goons were very difficult, and I was determined not to cheese the fight. 3rd time in with more attentive CC, counter elements (ice on Twins), and the help of fire resistance scrolls, I pulled through, and found it very rewarding. smile

That is exactly the point I am going for. I want to struggle, be forced to approach things different ways and eventually find a solution that works. That is what makes playing a game fun. If I want simple entertainment, I will watch a movie or read a book.

journeyman
journeyman
I`m that kind of player who play the first Playtrhough on Normal(even if it get`s easy), the Second on Hard. I think the last Games where i have to play/switch on Easy was Ninja Gaiden 2, Street Fighter IV(i really sucks in Beat em Ups) and on the Bossfight on Tales of Vesperia(god i hate that Bossfight... ._.)

But i don`t judge Players if they play on Easy, that doesn`t make a Bad Gamer or so. For Exampel: Some Peoples have hard Times on some Games, or a bad Day. Or they want to enjoy Story/Atmosphere and don`t want to interrupted by frustration.

And sorry for my Englisch, isn`t my native Language..

Last edited by LightningYu; 08/07/14 09:08 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
I play on normal. I've never really thought about adjusting downward because normal doesn't feel that difficult to me. I've thought about trying hard on my next play-through depending upon how difficult things get later on. I might give easy a try, though, for a good old roflstomp.

enthusiast
enthusiast
play the way you want and have fun, don't worry about how others are playing it smile

stranger
stranger
I play on easy. I did change it up early on but found it was a bit frustrating with the characters I had designed so I settled back on easy. Once I finish the campaign on easy I'll probably play through again on normal and then hard with different group compositions. I have a hard mode/lone wolf campaign running alongside my easy campaign too, but the easy one is definitely the most progressed.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by LightningYu
I`m that kind of player who play the first Playtrhough on Normal(even if it get`s easy), the Second on Hard. I think the last Games where i have to play/switch on Easy was Ninja Gaiden 2, Street Fighter IV(i really sucks in Beat em Ups) and on the Bossfight on Tales of Vesperia(god i hate that Bossfight... ._.)

But i don`t judge Players if they play on Easy, that doesn`t make a Bad Gamer or so. For Exampel: Some Peoples have hard Times on some Games, or a bad Day. Or they want to enjoy Story/Atmosphere and don`t want to interrupted by frustration.

I have a hard time doing multiple playthroughs. I remember too much of everything the moment I start playing and it ends up making the game kind of bland. It is the same with reading books, first page in and bam... I set it down, been there... done that. So I play on hard first time through on every game I play, regardless of how difficult it may seem.

This game is a bit different though. The combat is interesting, so it may sustain me to play multiple runs through the game. time will tell, though likely I will probably move to the development kit once I have run through the game once.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by DragonCommander
play the way you want and have fun, don't worry about how others are playing it smile

Sure, nothing wrong with that, though I wish "hard" was a bit harder. Not sure if simple stat adjustment is the answer though. I think more AI tactics are needed. Have mobs team up and use combination abilities on the players (I haven't seen a whole lot of that, some... not a lot though).

I think Hiver had a good write up about the problems with hard a while back.

Last edited by Tanist; 08/07/14 10:20 PM.
addict
addict
I first started playing on normal during beta. Found the fights were not challenging me a lot, so I switched to hard. Never switched away from hard since and I've finished the whole Cyseal area just before launch, currently waiting on a few things to get patched in before I play the full game proper.

And, uh... I still found it a bit not challenging, despite the few deaths (most of which came from being stupid about something), but it was probably because Lone Wolf is powerful early, weak late and using a wizard and ranger, both LW and Glass Cannons.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Tanist
Originally Posted by LightningYu

I have a hard time doing multiple playthroughs. I remember too much of everything the moment I start playing and it ends up making the game kind of bland. It is the same with reading books, first page in and bam... I set it down, been there... done that. So I play on hard first time through on every game I play, regardless of how difficult it may seem.

This game is a bit different though. The combat is interesting, so it may sustain me to play multiple runs through the game. time will tell, though likely I will probably move to the development kit once I have run through the game once.

I think one of the redeeming features of this game is that the random nature of combat, loot, the multiple dialogue options and the huge variety in the class/talent/skill system are going to make replay value a lot better.

Your Rose Colored Spectacles of Nostalgia appear to be cracked. Maybe it's time to look forward to something.
W
stranger
stranger
W
I played on normal but (I play rpgs for more than 20 years now and guess I know how to play them^^) at lvl 11 I turned the difficulty up to hard, because there is almost no fight where I even lose a single HP.

BUT that is mostly because of the AI that is attacking summons and charmed enemys first.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm after that satisfying feeling every time I beat a tough fight, so I just crank difficulty to highest/2nd highest in any game I start playing. And no, I don't assume that's "hardcore" so I can sleep at night. It's just, I've played *a lot* of RPG's, so I know how things go. Game *will* eventually become easy. Always. I always end up having too many stuff piling up in my inventory, taking up space, without me touching them ever, simply because I never have to bother to. Unless you are pushed hard, you might not try to think critically and will not take *full* advantage of every single item you have in your possession. Not to mention the popular trend of dumbing down video games nowadays... Baldur's Gate II, with about a dozen of mods that revise and improve combat/AI, is the only exception I know of.
When I got to Braccus Rex and his "goons", my team were level 9 and I expected a seriously tough fight so I just went all out, throwing everything I was having at them xD Turned out it was not too bad. I was surprised that the goons were much weaker than when I fought them the first time. The first time I fought the fire-twin-guy-something was seriously brutal. And I agree that, enemies focus too much on summoned monsters. A summoned elemental will just tank enemies who use the same element for ever, and they *rarely* switch target. A burning skeleton wielding a fire sword dealing *only* fire damage? In Baldur's Gate at least enemies always have pure physical damage accompanying whatever elemental damage they have.

Last edited by Adrian Blake; 08/07/14 11:32 PM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Adrian Blake
I'm after that satisfying feeling every time I beat a tough fight, so I just crank difficulty to highest/2nd highest in any game I start playing. And no, I don't assume that's "hardcore" so I can sleep at night. It's just, I've played *a lot* of RPG's, so I know how things go. Game *will* eventually become easy. Always. I always end up having too many stuff piling up in my inventory, taking up space, without me touching them ever, simply because I never have to bother to. Unless you are pushed hard, you might not try to think critically and will not take *full* advantage of every single item you have in your possession. Not to mention the popular trend of dumbing down video games nowadays... Baldur's Gate II, with about a dozen of mods that revise and improve combat/AI, is the only exception I know of.
When I got to Braccus Rex and his "goons", my team were level 9 and I expected a seriously tough fight so I just went all out, throwing everything I was having at them xD Turned out it was not too bad. I was surprised that the goons were much weaker than when I fought them the first time. The first time I fought the fire-twin-guy-something was seriously brutal. And I agree that, enemies focus too much on summoned monsters. A summoned elemental will just tank enemies who use the same element for ever, and they *rarely* switch target. A burning skeleton wielding a fire sword dealing *only* fire damage? In Baldur's Gate at least enemies always have pure physical damage accompanying whatever elemental damage they have.

I am a major hoarder when it comes to items in cRPG play. I save everything, only use something if a fight seems impossible. In the old games (Gold Box, Wizardry, etc...), I would often be forced to use them steadily and so I was always getting low or running out on something useful (hence the hoarding behavior).

Thing about this game is that I rarely find myself using my stock even on hard. I have over 50 healing pots, 50-100 scrolls and arrows, etc... and my normal spells and abilities always are sufficient enough to handle the fights. I occasional use a healing pot, but other than that, not much else.

old hand
old hand
Thing about this game is that I rarely find myself using my stock even on hard. I have over 50 healing pots, 50-100 scrolls and arrows, etc... and my normal spells and abilities always are sufficient enough to handle the fights. I occasional use a healing pot, but other than that, not much else.

Time for Nightmare difficulty.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I am a major hoarder when it comes to items in cRPG play. I save everything, only use something if a fight seems impossible. In the old games (Gold Box, Wizardry, etc...), I would often be forced to use them steadily and so I was always getting low or running out on something useful (hence the

Exactly. I hate running out of resources at the critical moment, in a critical fight, just because I have been using them sparingly. I'm just too used to managing very limited resources under very harsh conditions, playing on normal will inevitably make it easy too early. And in my case, having easy time with an RPG actually does ruin the experience.
And I do think the game really should have more than 3 difficulty settings. I like how some games have over-the-top settings, specifically designed for players who either are clinically insane, or have become very familiar with the game. Like 1999 mode in Bioshock Infinite, Nightmare in Dragon Age, or top setting in Van Helsing 2, etc.

Last edited by Adrian Blake; 09/07/14 12:51 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard