Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've got his key from killing him, but I'm still unable to open it. Is this a glitch, or do I need to do a puzzle or something else?

Also, I seem to have the same issues with the chests you dig up at around the church by Cyseal. I got a key from the first one, but had to pick lock the next one and all it had was another key, the third one I've got too low of a level.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 09/07/14 05:47 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
apprentice
apprentice
His chest requires a magic unlock spell which is why have the glowing padlock on it if it is the one I think you mean. You can however teleport the chest away from the glowing lock and open it without a key (an unintended development glitch/bug but useful with those kind of chests) if don't have unlock spell or scroll. If you do not mean the magical one then destroying some chests will open them too. If can't destroy it, if not a magical lock one that can bypass using trick mentioned and if do not have any picklocks or skilled in their usage if is a non-magical chest then not sure what else you could do.

Last edited by Dragoonlordz; 09/07/14 07:39 AM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well right now the chest is at my homestead (with the chest from the church) and unable to open it. The glowing lock is still floating in Braccus REX's crypt. Figure if I keep them there, eventually I'll get to opening it.

When I try to pick the lock, I get a message saying that the lock cannot be picked. Also, I haven't come across the magic unlock scrolls now that I think about it. I remember in beta I'd have a few and never got to use them. Unfortunately, I forget where I found them at.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 09/07/14 07:46 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
apprentice
apprentice
You should be able to buy them throughout the game or just find them. I had plenty as I played through it, when I ran out though at times I would just nuke the chest until it exploded and the loot what falls out or in the example of that same chest you mentioned I teleported it from it's position to another spot in the room and when clicked on it in it's new spot it opened without need for the key.

Last edited by Dragoonlordz; 09/07/14 07:49 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Arhu has a magical unlock scroll in his room in Cyseal.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Assuming you're talking about the Source King's Chest, the key to that is much later in the game, so you're best off using a magic unlock now.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
That chest is stupid. You can't open it without a scroll until ages into the game, and it still drops like lvl 5 items or something when you open it then.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Simulacrum
That chest is stupid. You can't open it without a scroll until ages into the game, and it still drops like lvl 5 items or something when you open it then.

Two posts above yours someone says that Arhu has a magical unlock scroll in his room, which is in Cyseal. So you can actually get it as soon as you kill Braccus.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ok, so what does the Braccus REX Personal key open? Or is it just an junk item?

stranger
stranger
The chest of the Source king requires key dropped by

his sister - Cassandra - phantom forest

but you can unlock it with magical unlock scroll

Last edited by Sttyx; 10/07/14 01:17 AM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
If the loot was levelled to the point you get the key I'd understand it, but the chest just contains a bunch of early game trash.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by DarkFenix
If the loot was levelled to the point you get the key I'd understand it, but the chest just contains a bunch of early game trash.

They still have not fixed this glitch as of August. Pretty huge considering it is the first main boss. As you cannot access the chest until you get the key from later in the game at which the gear is obsolete it is a bug/glitch.

Magical Scroll bypasses it sure, but why make a main quest chest require that? Because they messed up that is why.

T
banned
banned
T
UMM Braccus Rex chest and the Source Hunters Chest are two completely different chests. The names of each one is right on them when you hover your mouse over them.

Source hunters chest has a magic lock. While Braccus Rex chest just needs the key HE drops.

Not sure why people are saying that Braccus Rex chest needs a magic unlock scroll or the key obtained in the forest later on to open it.

K
stranger
stranger
K
braccus rex's personal belonging is opened via a key bracus drops, the other chest called the chest of the souce king ( intended typo ? laugh ) is opened by a magical unlock scroll( the spell itself comes only in scroll form)

NOW : at this point in the game you could get a magical unlock scroll from arhu's place , but if you used that on the harbor storage door , don't despair...

With a crafting of 2 ( no less and NO HIGHER either) you can craft it with a few easy to find materials ( 3 cyseal vendors that sell mats needed for this on a constant basis and reset on level up >>thelyron but at this point he's not available, the market seller of air and water scrolls, the captain of a ship in harbor )

Crafting of 2 can easily be taken from gear starting level 7 when the belts start to appear on vendors with that stat and bracers even before that so 1 from belt 1 from bracer....

Crafting goes as following (thank god to ivra and angry dave for this ):
needed materials :
1 inkpot ( found in the tavern where the potion vendor is, francis he is called and he's talkin madness bout revelations and such)
1 quill= ( pillow from most beds + knife = feather ) + knife
2 or more pixie dust( at mats traders or threadweaver from end of time or craft it from mortar pestle stardust and bones/skulls)
1 or more blank paper =[( axe +log =woodchips )+water barrel=mush ]+ forge

and then you use the above for
1 inkpot and quill= inkpot + quill (doh')
1 magic inkpot and quill = inkpot and quill + pixie dust
1 or more blank witchcraft scroll = any note/parchment/blank paper + pixie dust // OR YOU could get lucky and find one blank witchcraft scroll in book cases or mats vendors

and then finally RAndom witchcraft scroll = blank witchcraft scroll+ magic inkpot and quill ( it's going to be random, so save, create, you get what you want good, not? reload , IF you are peckish and dont want to abuse... use more blank witchcraft scrolls and you'll get it eventually ) GOOOOOOD LUCK and no more QQing ok ? smile

P.S : wrote all this while savescumming on the chest drops haha , anyway chest drops seem to be following for me (characters level 10 and 1 lucky charm point ): 1 guaranteed legendary drop close to my level( 9,10 level loot) ,1 guaranteed skillbook, random essences ranging from 0-3 pieces, random flowers, random blank skill books 0-2 pieces so far, other random stuff

Last edited by khratos; 01/08/14 08:32 PM.

argue with an idiot and he will drag you to his level then beat you with experience
S
stranger
stranger
S
opa
Use a magic unlock scroll on chests with the glowing lock!

Last edited by Salty Cracker; 02/08/14 01:50 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard