Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by LordCrash

Nobody likes self-entitled and dogmatic missionaries, dude. Get out. We don't need or want you here. We are clever enough ourselves to make our own decisions how we buy our shit. We don't need you to judge on us. Especially not if you really think that you had a right to own a product just because you don't like the way it is offered to you. What kind of weird logic is that? It's not even logic at all, it's deeply flawed egoism at its finest.

So don't even try to crusade against Steam here with your "I am more important, more intelligent and more entitled than everyone else" philosophy bare of all logic.

Visit the GOG forums or whatever if you have a such deep desire to crusade. Likely you'll even find more likeminded people there anyway...

Your location is "Germany" a country which has been known throughout the ages for oppressing not only its people, but everyone near it and far from it. It is natural that you would accept these laws and embrace them, it is what you are accustomed to due to the country you reside in.

You also seem to speak for everyone, which is either commendable (since you must be ambassador for the world), rather frightening or insane (particularly since your location is Germany).

"We don't like you" "Nobody loves you" "We are one." "We all agree" Typical of a delusional and egotistical maniac, as most forum mods and internet bullies are nowadays. You control this forum, hence in your petty little existence outside of real life, in your warped perception, you control us all.

Yes these posts have been written since 2002. They will continue to be written until things are fair.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Tanist
I swear, its like people keep getting dumber with more technology.

I won't even pretend to understand what that means. You swear on what or whom? Or you simply swear?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by NoDRMforMe

Nobody likes self-entitled and dogmatic missionaries, dude. Get out. We don't need or want you here. We are clever enough ourselves to make our own decisions how we buy our shit. We don't need you to judge on us. Especially not if you really think that you had a right to own a product just because you don't like the way it is offered to you. What kind of weird logic is that? It's not even logic at all, it's deeply flawed egoism at its finest.

So don't even try to crusade against Steam here with your "I am more important, more intelligent and more entitled than everyone else" philosophy bare of all logic.

Visit the GOG forums or whatever if you have a such deep desire to crusade. Likely you'll even find more likeminded people there anyway...

Your location is "Germany" a country which has been known throughout the ages for oppressing not only its people, but everyone near it and far from it. It is natural that you would accept these laws and embrace them, it is what you are accustomed to due to the country you reside in.

You also seem to speak for everyone, which is either commendable (since you must be ambassador for the world), rather frightening or insane (particularly since your location is Germany).

"We don't like you" "Nobody loves you" "We are one." "We all agree" Typical of a delusional and egotistical maniac, as most forum mods and internet bullies are nowadays. You control this forum, hence in your petty little existence outside of real life, in your warped perception, you control us all.

Yes these posts have been written since 2002. They will continue to be written until things are fair.

Now you've switched from missionary to full troll? Not unexpected at all (you've already reached the second troll stage and I'm curious how good you are)...

But you're right of course, I'm the new insane German dictator and you are all my petty (were)sheep. You've unmasked me! meh

Last edited by LordCrash; 09/07/14 07:27 PM.

WOOS
K
K
Originally Posted by Shaki

You dare to DEMAND something from Larian in that tone??? Get the fu... out here ASAP. There is NO justification for piracy.

I think there is, actually. From the time when i paid insane amount of money for complete piece of shit which was Dragon Age 2, I nearly always first pirate the game, play ~2 hours, and then decide to uninstall or buy. Don't want to make that kind of mistake again. From my point of view, that kind of "piracy" is pretty justified.

This is pretty much legit, if no demo is supplied, I'm not gonna make a blind purchase based on neither pre-release marketing materials, or (the generally payed off when it comes to AAA games) reviews.
I bought Original Sin without testing it first because I wanted to support Larian and because they have not let me down in the past. Honestly I don't see myself ever having to pirate to test in the future though, the AAA industry is so far gone, that I don't even want to play their games to test them, unless there's some really good reason to, which there hasn't been for a long while now...

Last edited by Kriss; 09/07/14 07:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kriss
This is pretty much legit, if no demo is supplied, I'm not gonna make a blind purchase based on neither pre-release marketing materials, or (the generally payed off when it comes to AAA games) reviews.

There is something called "youtube" today. It's a sorry excuse to use piracy if you can just many video of the respective game in action (no trailer or stuff) after release...

The "I have to inform myself before buying" argument for piracy is long since outdated nowadays.

I've pirated games myself in my youth like probably 95% or all gamers. But I never tried to justify it or even boast with it. It was just lacking sense of guilt as a teen tbh. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 09/07/14 07:27 PM.

WOOS
K
K

The "I have to inform myself before buying" argument for piracy is long since outdated nowadays.

Watching a game is not the same as playing it.

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
OP, how is your pirated version any different/better than Steam? For both you needed to connect to someone elses server and download the game.

Now the Steam version offers a ton that your pirated version can't like updates, community, not having to deal with cyber criminals, customer service (what is the customer service policy from your pirate site like...), etc.

Arguments like OP's dumbfound me. Non-Internet only games all work without Steam (after activation). Try it. Shut down your internet and try and run the games they will work unless the game itself requires the Internet (developers choice). They will also work without Steam so if Valve bans your Steam account/id the games will still work (again unless they are Inet required).

You can dislike Valve as a company or Steam as a service that's fine. Use the alternate services like GOG, etc. Or is every company "disgusting".

Your post says more about you than Steam, Larian or the game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by cytoSiN
OP, you're an admitted criminal. And since this likely isn't your first/only time, you're a felon.

The OP is a moron, and deserves nothing but contempt. I think we can all pretty much agree on that. Having said that, I thought this comment in particular warranted a response for clarification. Digital "piracy" is not theft, as that implies the loss of a physical item (e.g. take someone's wallet, they no longer have it, but you do, etc). What he did would be classified as 'copyright infringement', which is not the same thing legally or technically (morally or ethically is a different matter, however). It's an oft misunderstood concept.

veteran
veteran

Watching a game is not the same as playing it.

It's enough to make a solid assessment whether you might like the game or not.

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jito463
Originally Posted by cytoSiN
OP, you're an admitted criminal. And since this likely isn't your first/only time, you're a felon.

The OP is a moron, and deserves nothing but contempt. I think we can all pretty much agree on that. Having said that, I thought this comment in particular warranted a response for clarification. Digital "piracy" is not theft, as that implies the loss of a physical item (e.g. take someone's wallet, they no longer have it, but you do, etc). What he did would be classified as 'copyright infringement', which is not the same thing legally or technically (morally or ethically is a different matter, however). It's an oft misunderstood concept.

Well, you are of course right but that's in fact only wording games (and they only apply because jurisdiction and laws are still years or even decades behind technology...). You take something which belongs to another person. That's just wrong in any possible fashion.

WOOS
R
RtM Offline
R
Lol this guy was obviously just looking to wind up people. Sad.

S
S

I bought Original Sin without testing it first because I wanted to support Larian and because they have not let me down in the past.

I've played only Divinity 2 before, and it wasn't so bad, but it wasn't good either. So, to be honest, I pirated the beta some months ago. Loved it, so instantly preordered.

There is something called "youtube" today. It's a sorry excuse to use piracy if you can just many video of the respective game in action (no trailer or stuff) after release...

I can't agree. Watching is not the same thing as playing. By playing the game 2 hours, you get more insight than by watching it for 10. And demo versions are often ridicolous. Like Mass Effect 3 - Demo was just 20-30 minutes of fight. You had no idea how much they simplified quest system, etc. by playing the demo.

For example, I've played DA2 demo too, and it was ok. But full version was horrible.

If game cost 5 dollars, I don't care. But I'm not goin to pay again 40-50$ or more, before I'm sure I will enjoy the product. And I don't have any moral qualms about it. I will support developers who make games I can enjoy, I would gladly pay 100 or 200$ for games like D:OS. But I will never let EA-like scums cheat me, and sell me shit disguised as RPG again.

addict
addict
Well, you are of course right but that's in fact only wording games (and they only apply because jurisdiction and laws are still years or even decades behind technology...). You take something which belongs to another person. That's just wrong in any possible fashion.

That's why I added the distinction between legally and morally/ethically. Obviously, we all agree on an ethical stance that it's wrong. Morally, as well (especially given how Larian works hard to not only put out the game, but patch/update it afterwards). Legally is where I was specifically making my point, which was in direct response to the labeling of the OP as a criminal/felon.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Bah, now I realize what he is doing. Hes a troll. Off to ignore.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Shaki
For example, I've played DA2 demo too, and it was ok. But full version was horrible.

I fell for that one, too, and ended up buying it on pre-order. That was a horrible mistake, one that I still regret to this day.

J
stranger
stranger
J
You could have just said that you wanted a DVD copy. You could have easily ordered one from Larian studios without a fuss. Instead you do this.
While it is a good idea to have physical, non-internet copies of games, many will cause a loss of features and updates this way.
Furthermore, once you have purchased a game, be it from steam, a publisher, or store shelves, there are multiple ways to keep it safe. You could install it on a portable hard drive for example.
In addition, I feel it is perfectly okay to make copies of games so long as it is within the context of the law. Pirating games is obviously illegal, doubly so if you do so for financial or other gain. You can, however, legally make a copy of a game such as D: OS provided you have paid for it or acquired permissions (either one), you do not distribute the copy(s) for any reason without the publishers and other parties express written consent, and finally, it must be for personal use only. For example, you could buy a game online and download it. Copy it to a disk or portable hard drive, and take it so you can install and play somewhere you do not have internet access.
However, Pirating the game just because you don't want it off of steam or some such is stupid and a crime. Plus telling the world publicly that you pirated a game...on the developer's OWN FORUM SITE!! Hello?
Oh and by the way, you can bet that Larian studios will be reporting you to the authorities if the FBI doesn't nab you first.

I've pirated games myself in my youth like probably 95% or all gamers.

Speak for yourself please, not everyone else.

Last edited by Von_Rotten; 09/07/14 07:54 PM.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
J
stranger
stranger
J
In addition to that, the laws concerning copyright infringement are Identical to those of theft. The only difference in the law that I am aware of is that the copyright holder of whatever you infringed upon can file a lawsuit for financial compensation in addition to regular court and criminal proceedings.
In short: Pirate a game, you go to jail, likely go to prison, pay a fortune in legal costs, and provide financial compensation to the game developer.
He didn't want to buy it legally, now he'll probably pay a thousand times its cost in compensation alone.

Last edited by jaysemreedy; 09/07/14 08:02 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Von_Rotten

I've pirated games myself in my youth like probably 95% or all gamers.

Speak for yourself please, not everyone else.

That's why I added "probably" and it's indeed just a speculation based on my own experiences. I never counted specific people to that number. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 09/07/14 08:05 PM.

WOOS
addict
addict
Originally Posted by jaysemreedy
In addition to that, the laws concerning copyright infringement or Identical to those of theft. The only difference in the law that I am aware of is that the copyright holder of whatever you infringed upon can file a lawsuit for financial compensation in addition to regular court and criminal proceedings.
In short: Pirate a game, you go to jail, likely go to prison, pay a fortune in legal costs, and provide financial compensation to the game developer.
He didn't want to buy it legally, now he'll probably pay a thousand times its cost in compensation alone.

That depends heavily on where you live. Different laws for different countries/regions.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard