Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I know I've asked this 1000 times, but are you able to change the game from Turn Based to Real time? I think Raze' response to me when I asked this the 999th time was that we could change it via editor from the game. I haven't tried the editor yet since I haven't finished the game yet.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
S
stranger
stranger
S
It's a bit strange request...
The whole idea and mechanics of the game is turn-based.
Just remember real-time in Fallout: Tactics and Arcanum.
Half of the real-time battles in these games were possible ONLY via constant save/load,
given both had AUTO attack.
I would gladly play Divinity in real-time with mechanics of the first Dragon Age, but i'm 99.9% sure it will never happen... And WHY does it have to be in the first place?))))

veteran
veteran
I'd like it, tbh. but those turns are not bad.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
In theory it is possible, whether the engine or the editor allows this change to be made externally is anyone's guess I would guess you would need to specifically code in the ability to manage the time state of the game in mods.

Meaning, that the engine is always turn based, just outside of combat a turn is roughly 8 seconds (from an old interview so the actual time may have changed) in real time. The one exception to this seem to be summon skills who afaik do not expire in turn based mode (at least they have not for me), but have a 30 expire on them in real time mode (also controlling summons in real time mode was disabled for some reason).

So because the real time exploration is actually technically simulated turns it should be possible to use similar simulation for combat, whether it would be playable as is I have no clue.

R
addict
addict
R
I think the real roadblock would be that there would need to be some sort of AI for the rest of your party (and for the enemies as well). As it is right now, you're easily able to control your entire party in combat because it is turn-based; only one character is controlled at a time.

If the turns are taken out, all of a sudden you're controlling just one character while 7+ enemies wail away at your party (assuming they can be changed to work in RT as well).

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
The enemies already have AI scripts for combat and they can presumably be made realtime. The sparring soldiers are likely proof of that (Cyseal), although not a very complicated one. Like you said the biggest problem is party AI. There is a solution for that though. Seeing as how their scripting languages work a basic system of if then rules can be used to define behaviours. See also the helpful dogs in Cyseal. So something like the cambit system from final fantasy 12, I think would be more than a workable solution. Although UI is not moddable atm I think.

henryv Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'll just quote the response of raze from prior threads:

Originally Posted by Raze

The editor is going to be updated post release to support real time combat (since the engine/editor will be used for several future projects). D:OS isn't designed with PvP in mind, but mods may be able to change that.

in this thread: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=31842&Number=470037#Post470037

I'm not the one who asked actually. Maybe I've been asking inside my head for a long time now lol.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"

Link Copied to Clipboard