Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Mr. C Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Couldn't you have found a more inclusive term for the skill set? Something a little less demeaning and sexist?

If you think it's not demeaning and sexist tell me you wouldn't at least notice if it was termed "woman-at-arms".

Hell... you could've gone with fighter or combatant Holy Warrior or best of all Paladin "because the whole skill set screams d&d paladin".

Just something a little less demeaning and exclusionary of women.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Go back to the kitchen.

stranger
stranger
Make me a sammich... then go quilt or something.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Are you serious? I don't see how this is an issue at all. They could have used the term fighter but this probably didn't even cross their minds that it could be interpreted as sexist when making the game. Men at arms is a term used in history in medieval times to describe a soldier.

You could say the exact same thing about the witch spells. By your logic the term Witchcraft implies that it's for women only and its demeaning against men, why not warlock spells? or "Dark Magic" spells?

Last edited by Ragman; 11/07/14 09:06 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
woooooow lmoaa imho its nt big deal doe

but....it stil a manz world imho loll

Spaghetti is life, Spaghetti is love.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Just something a little less demeaning and exclusionary of women.

It never occurred to me to feel demeaned and excluded. I can't really be bothered.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
What does OP think being part of mankind, I wonder....

Man-At-Arms is a historic word.... no reason why it shouldn't be used to describe medieval style skillsets.

And Paladins were certainly never female either.... in fact, Paladins were Man-At-Arms......... ^^

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Bullock Rush, baby.

stranger
stranger
Mankind includes women.

The word Man in this context should be read as 'Human', not as a gender specific word. Those developments in terms of feminism are modern-age developments, most certainly not applicable to the setting the game is in, or in any historical context. And even today it is a completely nonsensical argument to me, but that is personal ofcourse.

Go back to school smile

...or the kitchen ^^

You would have an argument if you could only pick the Man-At-Arms line on a male character though!

Last edited by Vayra; 11/07/14 09:32 AM.

The only constant in time is change
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by rk47
Go back to the kitchen.

This is exactly that kind of comment that show that internet is sexist ... Of course it's for the lol but come on. We are better than that.

About the OP message : I don't think Larian was sexist by choosing this name, it's just that most language use the male as the "default" gender. Yeah yeah I know, it's sexist, but we can't change thousand year of language evolution in a pinch.

In fact my best Warrior is Madora - you have to give credit to Larian that they did use a female character as the though guy in the game.

So the skill name is certainly not a sexist choice, but more a generic name. Sure they could have named that something else, but I'm pretty sure they discarded other name for this one ...

But nothing about Expert Marksman yet ?

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
I'm sorry to pop your cherry, but the skill name clearly said Expert MarksMAN.
Hence no woman in the game can actually be an expert at it, unless it's player cleared then it can be attributed to a she-male.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Turanar

This is exactly that kind of comment that show that internet is sexist

internet is not sexist, mankind is. Internet is just a way to express someone feelings without being identified.

G
stranger
stranger
G
If you're this desperate to bring gender issue into this you might want to start with the lady-on-heels. At least that's a conscious choice made in character art that is actually relevant.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If we go by that argument the hulk male model is FAR more sexist wink Sexism and gender issues are, after all, gender neutral.

D
dot Offline
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Mr. C

If you think it's not demeaning and sexist tell me you wouldn't at least notice if it was termed "woman-at-arms".

So history aside, did you notice that woMAN is also demeaning, always reminding "we" about being only 2 letters next to 3. I think we (not the plural of wo) should debate this in detail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-at-arms

It's a term, but you already knew that. Good trolling attempt though I don't see the point of what makes trolling so enticing to some people. My loss, I guess.

old hand
old hand
Maybe OP is a monkey and wants Monkey at arms ?

Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
What does OP think being part of mankind, I wonder....

Man-At-Arms is a historic word.... no reason why it shouldn't be used to describe medieval style skillsets.

And Paladins were certainly never female either.... in fact, Paladins were Man-At-Arms......... ^^

(Ok Ok been watching too much planet of the ape lately).

Last edited by meme; 11/07/14 12:20 PM.
R
addict
addict
R
"This is going to be interesting."

I think the better question is why are the skills called Man-at-Arms, Expert Marksman, and Scoundrel when the game files refer to those skills as Warrior's Lore, Ranger Lore, and Rogue Lore respectively?

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Issh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-at-arms

It's a term, but you already knew that. Good trolling attempt though I don't see the point of what makes trolling so enticing to some people. My loss, I guess.

Well maybe i got caught in ... didn't think it was a troll but by re-reading it now, i guess maybe it is.

Still Madora still kick a lot a buts in my game, so here is your Man-at-arm woman that really show the world what she is made of.

K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Go back to tumblr with your other social justice warriors stop shitting up gaming

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard