Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
apprentice
apprentice
I can get this mod to work following the instructions in the first post but when I try to use it with any other mod it simply does not seem to work. I am able to use multiple mods if they are combined into one but this one simply does not seem to work for me when used with any other modifications. Am I doing something wrong?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Walk me through your steps? This is what I'd do, but I haven't actually tried it with other mods:

1) Get all the mods I want installed, but not activated.
2) Copy all of the files (in Public and Mods) from all those mods into a single mod's folder structure, the "empty mod" that Rhidian shared and described.
3) Activate that one compiled mod in the game.
4) Start a new game, save it.
5) Take that game's LSB and swap it into my live game's save folder, renamed to replace the LSB there.

That's the theory... but I've had several theories about mod files and saves that didn't work for me. :\

apprentice
apprentice
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I've been doing. I've been able to get the run speed mod, Infinite spell books, and unbreaking lockpick mods to all work together perfectly fine following these steps but when I try adding the recipe mod these all still seem to work but not the recipe mod. It's very odd.

apprentice
apprentice
Ok just tried another time and got the same results 3 mods work yours does not. I can't copy the Mods folder content into the Empty Mod because they all contain the same file "meta.lsx" I can however copy all the files of the Public Folder into the one blank one. Maybe you could try this to see if it works. While I'm super excited to try and use your mod if it doesn't work in conjunction with other mods I think people might not use it as much as they should. Then again maybe I'm just still somehow messing the steps up. I'd like others to try this out and see if they can get the mod to work with others.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I will give it a shot this weekend, sure. I'm already looking at other files myself, specifically Potions.txt, which is similar to the idea of combining multiple mods, so I'll see if I can figure out what breaks it.

meta.lsx won't matter since that really just defines the starting screen and character creation screen. (It's an XML file, you can pop it open in Notepad and check it out.)

Rhidian was saying he was also having problems getting other files to work correctly besides ItemCombos, though in a different context in his case. I suspect the game is still just screwy about letting mods do what they're supposed to. frown

apprentice
apprentice
Well even if the problem is the game just not playing nice with the mods I'm confident you guys will figure it out. The few of you putting mods out already have been doing some cool things in a brand new game engine. I'm impressed.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by PatrickSJ
Basically you also want:
Armors.xlsm
Weapon.xlsm
Shields.xlsm
Objects.xlsm
DeltaModifiers.xlsm

The first 4 define the items, their types, categories, etc.
DeltaModifiers sits between maps a Boost from ItemCombos to an entry in the first 3 files.

Alright, so thanks to this tip I started snooping into the TXT files that those generate. (The XLSM's aren't needed for anything but convenience.)

I had been wondering for awhile why the fish + oven recipe wouldn't give me dinner, and why fish + dough seemed to ignore most fish.

Potions.txt seems to have the answer. It has a bunch of entries like this:

Code
new entry "FOOD_FishA"
type "Potion"
using "_Food"
data "Act part" "1"
data "StackId" "Intelligence"
data "ComboCategory" "FoodFish"
data "Weight" "200"
data "Value" "2"
data "Intelligence" "1"
data "Speed" "-1"
data "Duration" "3"

However, when I pop into the Engine and search for fish in RootTemplates, the names are in the form of CON_Food_Fish_A.

I am going to permit myself just a bit of a rant here and declare my astonishment that a game engine actually depends on plain text files for so much of its logical structure. The fact is, it will inevitably lead to exactly this kind of bug. Things get renamed all the time in large projects (usually as part of "refactoring" during a late optimization phase, when many dependencies now exist), and unless those things are logical objects with singular definitions and a referential structure, it becomes incredibly difficult to ever rename anything or, for that matter, to completely eliminate human error in the form of ordinary typos. I remember when I had this problem working on large bodies of code before modern IDE's provided tools for refactoring... like, in the 90's.

End rant and now I have to decide if this mod is going to fix Potions.txt as well. That's quite possibly a file that other mods are going to want to touch though, so I'll probably just have to wait for Larian on this one. :\

P
P
*Headdesk*

Trying to decode Larian's linkages is a headache.

I am curious, does an add-on always override the other file instead append/modify?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Multiple mods won't append or merge, there would need to be an interface for conflict resolution - which would be more trouble to the end user (and modders) than it's worth. Though to be fair, NWN actually had a working CR model that in my opinion went a long way to keeping the game alive well after its shelf life had expired.

If you're doing things the "manual" way like some of us are right now, you'd have to hand edit the TXT file to have both sets of changes. :\

I'm thinking that I could side-step the fish issue (the "fissue"!) by adding a whole scad of recipes in ItemCombos for every kind of fish, as opposed to fixing the FoodFish category itself. Dinner (elven stew) is pretty darn useful and fish seem to be much easier to come by than raw meat, so it would be worthwhile just for my own playthrough, hopefully for others as well.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by BaronJudas
Well even if the problem is the game just not playing nice with the mods I'm confident you guys will figure it out. The few of you putting mods out already have been doing some cool things in a brand new game engine. I'm impressed.

I'm not sure if this will be good news or bad:

I got a hold of that Tools.lsb and, well, it works together with FoodCombos, for me.

Here were my exact steps:

1) I read your post and Googled for unbreak- well, okay, let's skip ahead a few steps.
2) I'm not using an "empty" master mod in fact, so I did all of my work inside of my own mod's folder, Public \ Fixed_and_Missing_Recipes_85e5adf9-1a66-412d-b24f-71d59331859b.
3) So in that folder, I made a new folder: RootTemplates.
4) I copied Tools.lsb into RootTemplates.
5) Launched my game and tested some of my recipes, then tried picking the door at the end of the hall upstairs in the inn. Recipes worked; I failed to pick and kept my lockpick.

So really, that's all I did. I didn't have to make a new LSB in this case because of my approach... maybe that's a clue. Also just as a sanity check: You do have Stats in a separate *top* level folder, not under RootTemplates, right?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by unuroboros
Also just as a sanity check: You do have Stats in a separate *top* level folder, not under RootTemplates, right?

I'm really glad you had that sanity check there. That was the problem I was including the Stats folder in the RootTemplates folder which is why it didn't work. You might want to make a not of this in your first post so that others don't make the same stupid mistake I did. Thanks for checking this out I wasn't figuring it out on my own and thanks also for working on this great mod.

P
P
Apparently there are recipes to create super belts for regular rabbit paws, but not lucky rabbit paws.

Would you add
Destroy2Transform1 LOOT_Rabbit_Paw_SuperAmulet_A_Lucky + LOOT_Rope_A = LOOT_Rabbit_Paw_SuperBelt_A_Lucky, Crafting 3

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by PatrickSJ
Apparently there are recipes to create super belts for regular rabbit paws, but not lucky rabbit paws.

Would you add
Destroy2Transform1 LOOT_Rabbit_Paw_SuperAmulet_A_Lucky + LOOT_Rope_A = LOOT_Rabbit_Paw_SuperBelt_A_Lucky, Crafting 3

Will do. I'll probably start a new post what with the edit time limit.

I've been giving some thought to pixie dust. It's a gating item for a lot of things, yet it depends on a pretty rare resource, the stardust plant. (Or moonstone if you're desperate.) It's probably outside the scope of this mod - just fixing things like exactly what you noted there - but what's your opinion on making pixie easier to produce or even removing it as a step in some recipes?

(I'm still not even into Luculla yet, maybe things do change past the first act?)

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by BaronJudas
I'm really glad you had that sanity check there. That was the problem I was including the Stats folder in the RootTemplates folder which is why it didn't work. You might want to make a not of this in your first post so that others don't make the same stupid mistake I did. Thanks for checking this out I wasn't figuring it out on my own and thanks also for working on this great mod.

I'm relieved it's not some squirrely game bug. smile Thanks for following up, I will make a note about that in future posts. Going to make a new thread for v04, probably sometime tomorrow!

apprentice
apprentice
I'm relieved it's not some squirrely game bug. smile Thanks for following up, I will make a note about that in future posts. Going to make a new thread for v04, probably sometime tomorrow!

No problem, I'm glad my stupidity might help others. I played all night using version 3 with 3 other mods and had absolutely no problems. I look forward to V04.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Hmm, possible to get the sharp claw working as well?

and cudos for this great mod, some of the non-working crafting recipes were giving me quite the headache. :゙

Last edited by valky; 13/07/14 11:38 AM.
R
addict
addict
R

I've been giving some thought to pixie dust. It's a gating item for a lot of things, yet it depends on a pretty rare resource, the stardust plant. (Or moonstone if you're desperate.) It's probably outside the scope of this mod - just fixing things like exactly what you noted there - but what's your opinion on making pixie easier to produce or even removing it as a step in some recipes?

Maybe make it so that those excess Skillbooks that you find can be transformed into Pixie Dust somehow? You could toss them into the Elemental Forge or something.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Thanks for all the hard work on this guys. I've been playing around with it today and i'm loving the changes. great job.

Last edited by bowlfreaknot; 14/07/14 10:23 AM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I've moved this over to Nexus since I've already used that site extensively for my Skyrim mods.

Link:

http://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin/mods/12/?

Mod number 12, heh. laugh

apprentice
apprentice
Thanks for uploading this to the Nexus Site. I've been a Lifetime member of the sites for years and they allow for a nice way of keeping track of mods and to download them fast. Any news on when we can expect 1.4? And when that does come out can we just drop in the updated file and it works or do we need to do the whole new save copy shuffle again?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard