Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Colt47 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
First off, hello everyone! New guy #595 to the forums here. (Or whatever number the the counter would be on at this point.)

I recently asked this in the news section, but I'm not sure what section is the most active so I'll ask this here as well...

"So with the collectors edition boxed copy, do you get the keys emailed ahead of time so we can play right away, or do we have to wait for the box to arrive to use the key and download? I'm assuming we'd get the key's in the email since whoever is buying the collectors edition is going to have to download the game either way."

I think from what I gathered in earlier posts that backers had a digital key they were using while the boxed collectors edition was being shipped. So I'm curious (and hoping) if someone were to buy a new boxed copy if they will get the digital key ahead of time via email.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you are a new buyer (i.e. after release - and not kick starter backer) you will only get the keys inside the box. The collector's edition contains two copies of the game though. But you will have to wait until the box arrives.

C
Colt47 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Originally Posted by Jacob Marner
If you are a new buyer (i.e. after release - and not kick starter backer) you will only get the keys inside the box. The collector's edition contains two copies of the game though. But you will have to wait until the box arrives.

Ah, that's a bummer. Thanks for the heads up. I would have thought they'd have the keys in the collectors edition linked in a database so if someone bought a physical copy they could get the key in an email, especially since we have to register with Larian to do the mail order on the box set. There's probably a reason they didn't do it that way, but it would have made the decision to spring for one a bit easier.

Does anyone know if the save files are transferable from one version of the game to another? Was thinking I could just get a standard digital version while I'm waiting for the collectors edition to arrive and maybe gift the spare key to a friend.

Last edited by Colt47; 13/07/14 03:36 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The boxed version is actually a Steam version so if you buy your digital version on Steam - then they are the same. So yes they are compatible.

I have not tested it but I am 99% certain that the save games are compatible even if you buy the GOG version digitally.

Note that the collectors box contain Source Hunter DLC. I think you need that before starting a new game since it gives a few (not very interesting) items to your inventory for new games.

stranger
stranger
Saved games were fully compatible for me.

I had the GOG version installed and when my KS CE box arrived I installed the steam version. My in-game profile and all my saved games worked fine.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Originally Posted by Colt47
[SNIP] I would have thought they'd have the keys in the collectors edition linked in a database so if someone bought a physical copy they could get the key in an email, especially since we have to register with Larian to do the mail order on the box set.

[SNIP]

You don't have to 'register with Larian' to get a box set, I got mine from a local third party supplier - so was unable to get Early Access keys as compensation for the missing dice. Luckily I only had to wait a week or so after release to actually start playing.

Gaming dinosaur!!

Link Copied to Clipboard