Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Issh
We are aware of memory issues on 32-bit systems and are still looking into solutions.

Please try lowering the graphics settings and shut down any non-essential programs running in the background.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you. Probably faster changing to 64-bit system than waiting for a patch/fix then. smile

R
RtM Offline
R
I'm actually avoiding playing now. I cannot play for extended periods for fear of losing large portions of progress and out of annoyance. I don't want be annoyed with this game frown

E
stranger
stranger
E
Any information on the Black Cove issue? I really want to keep playing, but I can't do that until I can load Black Cove (I really don't want to have to load an autosave from outside and skip Black Cove entirely, which is assuming there's not something story-critical in there).

K
stranger
stranger
K
Any news when there will be a fix for the black cove load error ???

G
stranger
stranger
G
Maybe this will help the load/save lock up problem but i noticed that my C: drive was particularly full yesterday, so cleared up another 8gb of space on it and now i can get to around 8 or 9 saves before a hang rather than the previous 3 or 4.

Are the people that experience Black Cove issues playing with version 1.0.67? Those issues should have been fixed in that version.

If you are and haven't sent a report yet please send us one using our support tool: OriginalSinAlpha/AnalysisTool_DOS.exe
Simply run the tool and click generate report, then send this to supportdos@larian.com with a small description.

F
stranger
stranger
F
(Version 1.067 here)

Purchased & installed the game last weekend and it already was at version 1.067. This sunday 07/13, after experiencing the load/save bug and not being able to save even once at some occasions, I tried fixing the issue. Read a few posts about it, and tried most of the solutions i could find. Nothing helped.

I have tried putting all settings on lowest, and it doesn't change anything, except the game looks fugly smile Same goes with stopping all processes running on my comp while playing to free up some memory.

I've tried allocating more memory to the application, as described in some posts i've found, but it was already using up all available memory anyway (my system runs on 4Gb)

I also tried deleting all saves on my HDD except the last 2, but they're still saved on steam's cloud, so they're still present ingame.

My last hope was a patch update, so I changed Divity's update setting in Steam from "regular" to highest priority (this monday), just out of despair. Unexpectedly, this made steam update the game immediately after saving the settings(i saw the d/l and the patching). But the version didn't change. I'm still at 1.067 after the update, like I was before, So I'm a bit puzzled as to what exactly this update was.. ?

With all this, the bug still remains.

- Any "load game" from a current game or from the homescreen after exiting a game systematically made the game crash (white screen, sound goes on, but after 10 minutes of waiting still nothing) and i have to close it manually and restart it.
- Any "big" loading in the game makes it freeze / crash too. I say big because this doesn't happen when you change floors in a building, for an example. But it does crash with events like the one in Cyseal where you have to choose which agonizing man you want to save - i suppose you are to be teleported somewhere after the dialogue, but i never got to that part, the game just crashes.
- I only manage to "manually" save once, then it systematically crashes on the second save (. The save is a new one, i'm not overwriting an existing file. I stopped trying to quicksave with F5 after reading a few posts on the topic.
- Sometimes, even the first save crashes the game, so it's not guaranteed to work once. But it is guaranteed to work ONLY once, never twice or more.
- Not being able to save even once seem to happen anytime there is an event happening in the game. Events like a loading screen, recruiting someone to the party, a fight, a cutscene/script, etc... this does not seem to happen when it's only a small load, like switching floors in a building.
- Of course, autosave is deactived, because the bug happens there too.

So the only solution I have at this point is to systematically save my game after each "event". By event, i mean each dialog, each loading of an area (including different floors of the same building out of safety), each fight, each new henchmen recruited, etc... just to close the game, relaunch it and start and load up the last save I made.

So, when i'm reading the previous replies, where people claim they notice the same pattern (crashed after 1 save, crashes after 3 saves, crashes after 7 saves, etc... ) and compared to what i'm experiencing, i can only conclude this has to do with the available memory on your system? As in, if you have loads of RAM, you can save a few times before it's saturated, with less RAM, it only works once or twice?

How I got to this conclusion:

I managed to save a game in Cyseal's cemetery without having activated any of the fights. After crashing 5 times in a row after digging up the sheep's corpse & fighting Helene, the other undead near the sheep and Jared, i decided to try and save after each fight, starting with Jared. It went fine after his death, saved, quit the game and was about do repeat the same process for the remaining 2 fights.

That's where I thought i was gonna loose it. I went for Helene, I killed her 7 times, and 6 times the game crashed when i tried saving after killing her. I almost gave up on the game because there was no way i could progress, everywhere i went, i just crashed at the first save.

Afterwards, i realised this happened because my toons gained a level and I spent the points before the save. I killed her again, saved before spending my points, and it worked. Spent my points, saved again, reload the game and killed the last undead. That's where i concluded i could save once and no more, but only if I did it between each single little "event" in the game.

Another example: after clearing the cemetery of all 3 fights, and managing to save, i quit, reload the game and the last save, went straight to the first floor of cecil's house to recruit the mage in the library, went back downstairs and tried saving the game again. It did not work. Tried several times after this, with the same result. When i saved the game in the library before talking to him, it worked. Quit game, launch, reload last save, recruit him, went downstairs, tried saving and game crashed again. Tried again after recruiting him but before leaving the library, and there it worked.

Is this fixed by switching to a 64bit OS? If so, it might be safer to format my HDD and switch versions on windows rather than waiting for a fix ... the first posts i see reporting this issue are dated from jan 2014... doesn't really give me hope it will be fixed soon.

Last edited by fonq; 15/07/14 12:21 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
On my system which complies the minimum requirements regarding RAM the game runs absolutely stable as long as I don't save. And I'm pretty sure the saving bug occurred after playing and saving several hours and times, but not in the first twenty hours. Yesterday I made some trials with different settings. It happened, that disabling the shadows made the game crash on every first saving attempt. Enabling Shadows and setting them to normal led to crash on third or more attempt. But because of the irregular numbers of attempts I do not know whether it is just an issue with shadow settings or something else in addition.

I already sent the report.zip to the support and hope they can fix this issue soon.

Are the people that experience Black Cove issues playing with version 1.0.67? Those issues should have been fixed in that version.

Maybe it has something to do with this?
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=516784#Post516784

F
stranger
stranger
F
Salumba - are you running a 32bit or 64bit OS? My setup is above min. requirements and the game pushes settings to medium when I let it choose automatically, and i didn't have to wait hours and multiple saves before it first crashed.

I first crashed at the very beginning of my play through during the loading screen of the "tutorial" cave / dungeon right after the beach. Fresh install of the game, first game, etc...

S
stranger
stranger
S
I have a 32 bit system (XP).

BUT - I just did two things and could save a lot of times without any crash and quit D:OS normally. Unfortunately I didn't try to save between step #1 and step #2, so I suggest if you want to try this out to begin with step #2.

#1 I deleted all saves except 1 and the two quick saves. I now have only 3 saving slots in the one profile I made.

#2 I enabled V-Sync and Triple Buffering (which was activated automatically after I clicked on V-Sync).

So far it seems to work. On the first attempt it stuttered a bit, but saved successfully. I then quick saved 7 times in a row without crash.

Last edited by Salumba; 15/07/14 03:30 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Ok, this fix seems to have worked for me.

Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Enter: bcdedit /set pae ForceEnable

Restart your PC. I don't know the technical details, but basically it removes the 4GB cap for RAM on 32 bit systems.

Divinity's really impressive so far, hopefully this will fix the save issue for some of you and let you play it, good luck!

For more info check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited by McDomble; 15/07/14 03:35 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by McDomble
Ok, this fix seems to have worked for me.

Open Command Prompt as administrator.

Enter: bcdedit /set pae ForceEnable

Restart your PC. I don't know the technical details, but basically it removes the 4GB cap for RAM on 32 bit systems.

Divinity's really impressive so far, hopefully this will fix the save issue for some of you and let you play it, good luck!

For more info check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx

Didnt work for me, sure i am on the newest patch but still cant load in black cove, evrywhere else it works

F
stranger
stranger
F
Just a follow-up on the above posts:

I tried the vsync / 3xbuff option, and it didn't work. When i loaded an actual save, it crashed first time i tried to quicksave. I also crashed systematically every time the game had to load something (in Cyseal, crashed when entering the murder scene at the inn, same with the place where you have to decide which guy you let live).

I tried to start a new game with vsync still on. I managed to kill the first 3 undeads, enter the tutorial dungeon and managed to quicksave about 3 times where the tutorial tells you how to. I then tried again further down the dungeon and there, i was stuck endlessly on the saving screen with spinning wheel and music playing. It just remained stuck for about 7 mins before i had it and closed the game. BUT here it didn't crash the game, if that makes any difference..

Have tried deleting the different saves in my folder, keeping only the last 2 manual saves. This didn't work. But this was a few days ago, before turning vsync on today, so technically i haven't tried your steps in that order / combination. And technically they're still ingame with steam's cloud.

Honestly, i've had it for now. I can bypass the save problem by saving constantly and quit/reloading the game after each one, but that's already ridiculous and way beyond what i would do with any other game. But that doesn't prevent the crashes from happening every time a new zone loads, so there's no point.

I'll get back next patch to see if it's fixed. Thanks for all the suggestions from other posters.

Last edited by fonq; 15/07/14 05:41 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E

If you are and haven't sent a report yet please send us one using our support tool: OriginalSinAlpha/AnalysisTool_DOS.exe
Simply run the tool and click generate report, then send this to supportdos@larian.com with a small description.

Yes, I'm playing with 1.0.67. I was already on that version before I even got to Black Cove.

Also, I'm playing on Mac OS X, so I can't run your support tool. Do you have a Mac version?

Edit: Just checked, still having the problem on v1.0.72.0.

Last edited by Eridius; 15/07/14 07:44 PM. Reason: Added line about v1.0.72.0
stranger
stranger

Can someone please explain what is meant by this? I don't have any such file on my computer, should I download it somewhere?

Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
Originally Posted by Eridius

Yes, I'm playing with 1.0.67. I was already on that version before I even got to Black Cove.

Also, I'm playing on Mac OS X, so I can't run your support tool. Do you have a Mac version?

Edit: Just checked, still having the problem on v1.0.72.0.

Ok, sorry we've been busy with the patch. Can you send me your broken save. Compress it please and submit to platon.fomichev@larian.com

Also please reiterate the problem in the letter.

Thanks!

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Eridius

There are built in tools on the Mac to get the info that the Windows support tool collects. Here is what I was told (though apparently it is not needed, since Stauff1138 just asked for the save):

Crash report is more than enough to diagnose anything. Even if it looks weird it's very good stuff.

Crash report is redundant. All the ending part (list of libs) can be omitted.

Users should use "System Profiler" to collect system info.

To diagnose DOS hang user can launch "Activity Monitor" then select Divinity and press "Sample" button. Resulting sample should be mailed to developers.

Crashes are never lost. They are collected inside the "Console" application.

Originally Posted by JendaV
I don't have any such file on my computer, should I download it somewhere?

Yes, sorry; the start of the URL got cut off: D:OS support tool (for the PC version).

D
stranger
stranger
D
the new patch made it WORSE. with 1.0.67 it randomly crashed on save. now it crashes with every save. it also crashes when it tries to load homestead.

i downloaded the tool and ran the tests (everything passed of course) but it won't create a report. it gets stuck at approx. 50%. i even left it on over night, thinking it may need more time, but didn't work.

i'm very frustrated right now.

edit (forgot the specs):
Windows 7 32-bit SP1
CPU i5-3350P @3.1GHz
RAM 3560 MB
GPU GeForce GTX660 1536MB

Last edited by Dusty2014; 16/07/14 06:39 AM. Reason: additional info
X
stranger
stranger
X
There are 3 priorities that need/must be addressed ASAP since they are game-breaking:

1) Memory Leak: until inevitable game crashes. From the time I load the game my CPU load will start at about 02 then go up steadily to about 73. The memory (private working set) from start of game to crash begins at about 22,000K and crashes at about 1,322,000K. It generally takes about 25 minutes of game-play before crashing (whether I save or not, but see saving the game below).

2) Saving the game: either endlessly saves or just plain crashes the game. Endless saves (when you try to save and the game freezes at the save screen until you ctr+alt+del) occur about every 4th save attempt. Before this patch, it would not actually save and you had to revert to loading a prior save file - after this patch it does seem to keep your save but you still have to exit and restart the game again (and with load times taking forever, it gets really annoying). Then there is the save that just plain crashes the game (it exits to your desktop with a windows pop-up).

3) FPS degradation: The game will start off at about 60 FPS, but very quickly (within 10 seconds) will drop over about 25 minutes until you are down to about 1 or 2 FPS, making the game unplayable.

These 3 issues (especially combined) make the game extremely hard to play and most people refuse to play at all until these issues are fixed (My roommate bought the game, played for about 3 days and quit and from the posts I have read so far in these forums, it looks like every single player has these 3 issues in some fashion as I have not seen 1 person post that they are not affected by these 3 issues).

I have verified the integrity of the game already (after this patch) and it was 100%.
I have used the D:OS game analysis tool. Everything passed and I generated a report which I emailed to Larian.

For others to compare, this is what my specs are-
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400@3.00GHz (2 cores)
Memory: 3070MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 210 - 1024MB

D
stranger
stranger
D
I am having the same issue. The game either crashes when I attempt to save or it stays stuck on the save game screen. It really sucks playing for an hour or so (when I have limited time as is) and then I go to save and it crashes. I've had to replay the same battle about 10 times now. PLEASE FIX THE SAVING ISSUE!!!

EDIT: Specs on PC:
Windows 7 SP 1
Intel i5-2400 3.1 GHz
4 GB RAM
32 Bit

Last edited by deuce; 16/07/14 05:43 AM.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard