Print Thread
#516735 11/07/14 05:46 PM
S
Sykar Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Just wondering what other players think about talents for mages. What are your favourite picks?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Does Bully work with magic?

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
For a an INT/CON hard difficulty glass cannon mage, that is NOT the face/diplomat of your group, something like the following works wonders:

1: Know it All or Far Out Man depending on preference
1: Stench
4: *skip for now*
5: Glass Cannon (Deferred 4 pick)
7: Picture of Health (you'll need skill 2 Man-at-arms here, which is easily affordable by 7, and there's a huge difference between getting 25% health and 35% health so not taking it if you are running a hard mode glass cannon would be silly)
11, 15, 19: The one you didn't pick at 1 of FOM and KIA plus whatever you feel like

You'll end up with 2-5 man-at-arms, and if you go for 5 then Weather the Storm is going to be either the 11, 15, or 19 talent.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Lone Wolf and Know it all would be my go-to picks for character creation.

Glass cannon and far out man are both excellent too. Beyond that it doesn't really matter, you'll have so many action points and with Lone Wolf have such excellent spell access that nothing is going to kill you. Ever.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by DarkFenix
Lone Wolf and Know it all would be my go-to picks for character creation.

Glass cannon and far out man are both excellent too. Beyond that it doesn't really matter, you'll have so many action points and with Lone Wolf have such excellent spell access that nothing is going to kill you. Ever.

Except knockdown, which ruins Lone Wolf characters. Or rangers with charm arrow.

But the advice by peter is sound - with mages, you need ability points for spells, intelligence to make them strong and action points to cast them. Not much you can do with the first two talent wise, but glass cannon solves the latest issue. It's drawback is you need to invest in constitution (so you can hold all of those action points) and your HP is terrible. Manatarms talents can help with that - at 5, Picture of health DOUBLES your terrible HP pool. Weather the storm together with decent armor and a ruby makes you immune to elemental damage, so really, you get a lot of survivability from those 15 points (and a few useful support spells)
Other good pick could be Zombie - WTS does not cover poison resistance and poison is very common. It creates issues thou, you have to be really carefull when using it.

H
stranger
stranger
H
Originally Posted by delray
Does Bully work with magic?

Far as I know, it does not. Only physical attacks.

Last edited by Hexatomb; 15/07/14 02:01 AM.
WRT the magic talents: the Aerotheurge 5 talent that renders the character immune to stun is the strongest option (especially since you can take advantage of it to safely stand in water and benefit from Elemental Affinity), and the Weatherproof talent from Geomancy 5 is very helpful in certain locations. The other two are less so, partly because they come with negatives and partly because you may not WANT to be dealing that type of damage to something that hits you!

Link Copied to Clipboard