Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kriss

Obviously not, because you're suggesting that a common practice in the entertainment industry, intended to drive sales up, known to drive sales up and that can easily be observed (firing someone for a bad review of a game you're displaying ads for, giving a known bad game good reviews while displaying ads for it, reviewers getting free stuff non-stop, Dorito Pope, etc.) is some conspiracy talk.

1) Making a game in a certain way to make it more appealing to a broader audience has nothing to do with reviews but with sales.
2) Mass Effect 3 is NOT a "known bad game", that's only your opinion. If you want to be taken ANY serious stop trying to prevent as if your own opinion was some kind of fact. It's not. It's just your opinion and every other individual can have a different opinion which is equally valid.
3) Placing ads on a site doesn't mean that reviews are bought or influenced. That is just your speculation without any valid proof (=conspiracy) which is not only ignorant but also egocentric and just plain laughable. I know quite a few gaming journalist IN PERSON and I know that none of them would ever change or compromise a review to appease a publisher or the chief editor, no matter how many ads they have for the same game on their page and no matter how much they hyped the game before.
4) How do you explain a 9/10 for Diviniy: Original Sin from sites as GameInformer which are probably among the biggest "press drones" in the industry? Have EA forgotten to pay them this time to devalue other RPGs? Jesus, that is so childish, dude...
5) Haha, firing guys for reviews with a too bad score? I geuss you have MASSIVE examples for that and not only the one case you've preserved for the last ten years (if you have any at all). I know quite a bunch of guys in the industry which gave bad scores for big AAA games without being fired for it, not at all. But I got it: you like generelizations. Another sign of a conspiracist...

This is some of the most ignorant stuff I've read online, and I've been to reddit, abandoning thread, have a nice day.

Would be better since you're obviously out or arguments. Like I said, you might find more applaus for your laughable theories on RPGcodex (or on Reddit I guess).

Last edited by LordCrash; 13/07/14 07:23 PM.

WOOS
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Kriss. I've been writing reviews for a mayor site in my country for 11+ years and have _never_ been approached by publishers who wants to buy anything. I can write exactly what I want at any time. There have evidently been ugly situations with some sites, but calling the industry corrupt is just not in line with my experience. I actually doubt it's worse than any other industry. There will always be some bad eggs, but most reviewers are just gamers who happens to enjoy writing.

G
Garod Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Guys can you take your battle to another post, this is a thread for posting reviews and taking a look at what's out there. Not one where a couple of people slug it out.

Thanks

WeresheepVampire of Original Sin
WoOS - https://weresheep.net/doku.php
veteran
veteran

WOOS
veteran
veteran

WOOS
G
Garod Offline OP
OP Offline
G

K
stranger
stranger
K
9.0 from IGN of all places, I wasn't expecting that.

veteran
veteran

WOOS
G
Garod Offline OP
OP Offline
G

G
Garod Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Also kind of interesting is that Steam only has 1 and I mean a total of 1 negative "recommendation" on it smile

Maybe every reviewer is being paid by Kickstarter, to prove that massive successes can come from there wink Particularly after the sort of fail that was Broken Age smile

Really its awesome to see this continue to shine, both in reviews and seemingly in sales.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by tarasis
Maybe every reviewer is being paid by Kickstarter, to prove that massive successes can come from there wink

Och, unnecessary, and too much like charity for a business :P

More likely the reviewers all realise they're missing an event the longer they remain ignorant of the game, or theres an inherent momentum to the release of a good game - especially when its got shock & surprise value due to the glorious lack of marketing smile

Didn't see a suggestions thread, and some Larian are possibly reading this, so gotta say.... consider building on this game engine laterally, the systems now are all great, keep them, add more, judging by how the game performs on my system theres room.

This game proves it's a fallacy we've often heard to excuse reduction of complexity in games... "we're not streamlining.... we're funlining."

"Is it about a bicycle?"

- The Third Policeman
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Kordac
9.0 from IGN of all places, I wasn't expecting that.

This caught me by surprise as well. Especially after seeing a video of them talking about upcoming RPGs two months ago, and when they got to D:OS, they where like "ummmm.....moving on...". So was pleasantly suprised by this.

journeyman
journeyman

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Garod
Also kind of interesting is that Steam only has 1 and I mean a total of 1 negative "recommendation" on it smile

You mean user reviews? That's actually not true. There are a lot of negative reviews on Steam althought the percentage is REALLY small in general (4% of the total number right now)... wink

Something Awful review: 10/10

http://www.somethingawful.com/video-game-article/divinity-original-sin/

WOOS
G
Garod Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It's actually a 68..

Looking at some other reviews he wrote on the site he's not really an RPG fan.
Also he's clearly not done any homework on this game. How anyone can say there is no demand for this game and no one asked for it clearly didn't notice the 1m raised in KS and the top sellers list of Steam. Simply hated the game and bashed it giving flimsy arguments and trying to be witty about it.

veteran
veteran

It's kind of weird that everyone who gave less than 80 so far was obviously unable or unwilling to understand or evaluate basic concepts of this game like the fact that the whole game is made for co-op.

It's pretty sad that obviously everyone can write trash on the internet today without even basic knowledge about the profession or the work ethics of the job...

Also this review is just snarky and edgy because of no apparent reason other than the reviewer feeling superior to the game he writes about. The only purpose of this review is to present the author as some kind of "cool author" who thinks that he is so good that he could write about pop culture instead of the game he reviews. The whole review itself - what he actucally writes about the game - isn't clearly marked as his opinion. Actually he never really gives any own opinion. It's all about nice words without being spot on. Guys like that are ridiculous and their complacent and illusive stuff isn't worth to be read in the first place. Spare yourself the reading, you won't find anything new there apart from the petty attempt of the author to use nice words and witty writing for covering up a lacking review and for presenting himself as a superior person/writer...

Last edited by LordCrash; 16/07/14 05:12 PM.

WOOS
G
Garod Offline OP
OP Offline
G
LC It's probably also telling that there isn't a comments section under that review.. only thing you can do is comment on FB linking the article. Not going to give him the added publicity so won't do that.

veteran
veteran
You know I'm all in for subjective reviews/critics. But this piece of crap is just written in a that obnoxious and arrogant way that it's infuriating. It's not written as a "normal" and to the point review in which a reviewer gives his honest and direct opinion whether he personally thought the game was fun or not. It's written as witty and snarky as possible to give the reviewer some kind of artifical superiority with which he tries to eradicate his own subjectivity. This "review" (or should I say "bashing"?) is just plain awful to read and insulting to quite a lot of people, of course Larian but also everyone who likes the game (we, who we never demanded a game like that) . Unbearably arrogant, snarky and egocentric trash, that's what this review is. suspicion

Last edited by LordCrash; 16/07/14 05:30 PM.

WOOS
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by LordCrash
You know I'm all in for subjective reviews/critics. But this piece of crap is just written in a that obnoxious and arrogant way that it's infuriating. It's not written as a "normal" and to the point review in which a reviewer gives his honest and direct opinion whether he personally thought the game was fun or not. It's written as witty and snarky as possible to give the reviewer some kind of artifical superiority with which he tries to eradicate his own subjectivity. This "review" (or should I say "bashing"?) is just plain awful to read and insulting to quite a lot of people, of course Larian but also everyone who likes the game (we, who we never demanded a game like that) . Unbearably arrogant, snarky and egocentric trash, that's what this review is. suspicion

Yeah completely agree, this review irritated me as well.

For him to say "no one asked for" the game, after many of have begged for a "classic" RPG game for a decade, is very annoying. He acts as if he alone knows what "all" gamers want, and Larian just went off and did their own thing, completely ignoring their audience.

Such BS.

It also annoys me because this review feeds into the "myth" that the "vast majority" of gamers want very linear, cinematic, hand-holding RPGs like Mass Effect 3 and DA2, as opposed to games like DOS.

That myth should be disproved by the sales that DOS has generated.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard