Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#520575 16/07/14 05:31 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Does it even work? Im not really seeing any changes is prices . My skill is at 4 now .

"Start with the healer first" -The Mage Killer

Opportunity Within the Link Below
https://thefreedomfightersnetwork.com/?referred_by=14760
TheMageKiller #520578 16/07/14 05:35 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think it makes it so that they will accept lower offers when you haggle?

TheMageKiller #520584 16/07/14 05:41 AM
apprentice
apprentice
You will see a change--when you get the character with 4 bartering to talk, ALL characters in the trade panel (if you switch between them) get the better prices. That is, merchants offer wares cheaper, and you sell higher.

Mouse over any item in the shopkeeper's stock, and something from your own inventory and note the 2 prices shown for buying/selling. Exit out of the trade window; select another character with lower or zero Bartering to initiate the dialog and enter the trade screen. You should see poorer deals.

TheMageKiller #520631 16/07/14 06:45 AM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
You will also get better prices the higher the NPCs' attitude towards you. Around 10-gold worth of gift/junk will raise attitude by 1.

cilantroll #520647 16/07/14 07:01 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by cilantroll
You will see a change--when you get the character with 4 bartering to talk, ALL characters in the trade panel (if you switch between them) get the better prices. That is, merchants offer wares cheaper, and you sell higher.

Mouse over any item in the shopkeeper's stock, and something from your own inventory and note the 2 prices shown for buying/selling. Exit out of the trade window; select another character with lower or zero Bartering to initiate the dialog and enter the trade screen. You should see poorer deals.

What the... I thought Bartering (as well as Charisma) was shared among characters. That's the impression I had when testing Charisma anyway and someone stated the same about Bartering.

TheMageKiller #520717 16/07/14 09:16 AM
journeyman
journeyman
The bartering of the character that instantiated the trade will be taken into account, not the bartering of the current trade inventory character.

See it this way, Roderick can be trading with a trader in Cyseal while you let Scarlet venture forth.
You can switch to her inventory to sell items that she possesses, but it's still Roderick doing all the talking. Even if all party members are near the trader, it's still Roderick trying to sell an item that Scarlet happens to have in her inventory.

For each point of bartering, you get around 20% discount or boost (bartering 5 makes you pay half the buying price and doubles the sell price compared to a bartering 0 character)
Attitude is also taken into account though...

note that these discounts also apply to the repair and identify prices!

TheMageKiller #520720 16/07/14 09:19 AM
veteran
veteran
Nope to both... Charisma and Bartering are character-only.

It used to in early Beta tell exactly how much you saved due to Bartering. I wonder why they removed it, I've wanted it back ever since smirk

Hassat Hunter #520732 16/07/14 09:30 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

It used to in early Beta tell exactly how much you saved due to Bartering. I wonder why they removed it, I've wanted it back ever since smirk

The tooltips became too flooded with information, as you have the base price, the current buy price, discount by bartering and discount by attitude

TheMageKiller #520742 16/07/14 09:46 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Well, when I was testing dialogue rolls (charm, intimidate, reason) via quick save + quick load on different characters I had the same 'strength of argument' (no idea how else to call this, but I hope you get the meaning) on both characters, whereas one had 0 charisma and the other one had 3.

TheMageKiller #520766 16/07/14 10:07 AM
veteran
veteran
Not really... base price is already included in the box next to the coin icon. Buy/sell price, of course.
Just one additional line it was for bartering. It didn't show attitude adjustment, but yes, that's also a good addition to add to the UI.
Can't say I found that flooded rather than extremely useful.

@ Wayward;
That's... weird. If you hover over your characters icon in the RPS many what buildup did it show (base 3 + charisma + option modifier)?

Hassat Hunter #521089 16/07/14 04:53 PM
veteran
veteran

Same here. I really don't understand why they removed the "You saved XXX thanks to Bartering" (or whatever it was) message. It was continuous reinforcement that my invested points were doing something useful.

Wayward #521093 16/07/14 04:56 PM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Wayward
Well, when I was testing dialogue rolls (charm, intimidate, reason) via quick save + quick load on different characters I had the same 'strength of argument' (no idea how else to call this, but I hope you get the meaning) on both characters, whereas one had 0 charisma and the other one had 3.

Sometimes using intimidate/reason/charm does lead to different outcomes.

Gyson #521163 16/07/14 06:07 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I wasnt in beta, but that sounds very useful . I would love to see how much im saving

"Start with the healer first" -The Mage Killer

Opportunity Within the Link Below
https://thefreedomfightersnetwork.com/?referred_by=14760
lmyyyks #521401 16/07/14 10:31 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by lmyyyks

True, but if he tested all options with CHA3 and with CHA0 (so did the RPS 6 times), that shouldn't influence the outcome.

Of course, question is... did he.
Damn, now I want to test it myself :p

Hassat Hunter #521517 17/07/14 12:39 AM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L

True, but if he tested all options with CHA3 and with CHA0 (so did the RPS 6 times), that shouldn't influence the outcome.

Of course, question is... did he.
Damn, now I want to test it myself :p

I believe charisma only gives you a "so-called" edge in the Rock/paper/scissors game. On my first playthrough I invested some points in CHA and had an 8-3 advantage, but after losing 3 duels straight (yes AI won 12 while I couldn't win 4, what a 50/50 game) I gave up this RPS thing.

Now I just skip the RPS and s/l. Much time saved.

Last edited by lmyyyks; 17/07/14 12:41 AM.
lmyyyks #521527 17/07/14 12:59 AM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B

I believe charisma only gives you a "so-called" edge in the Rock/paper/scissors game. On my first playthrough I invested some points in CHA and had an 8-3 advantage, but after losing 3 duels straight (yes AI won 12 while I couldn't win 4, what a 50/50 game) I gave up this RPS thing.

Now I just skip the RPS and s/l. Much time saved.

You were just unlucky.

To get an accurate depiction of your chances in an 8v3 charisma encounter you would have to do at least a hundred samples, the more the better.

12 is nowhere near enough samples to deliver a verdict on the RPS system.

Bluestone #521540 17/07/14 01:17 AM
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by Bluestone
You were just unlucky.

To get an accurate depiction of your chances in an 8v3 charisma encounter you would have to do at least a hundred samples, the more the better.

12 is nowhere near enough samples to deliver a verdict on the RPS system.

This is not about experimental statistics.

From what I see, Charisma only does two things:
1. gives you higher score in RPS, a minigame which I don't enjoy playing or winning at all.
2. a slight premium in selling and discount in buying from the +5 attitude per CHA point, while attitude can actually be "bought" for around 10-gold per attitude.

I believe Charisma point has no effect on the outcomes, rather it is only Intimidate/Charm/Reason that decides.

TheMageKiller #521696 17/07/14 07:07 AM
H
stranger
stranger
H
With high Charisma, sometimes you don't need to do the minigame and you can convince the other party right away.

Link Copied to Clipboard