Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
I don't even know why everyone hates EA so much. Imo Activision is much more evil. Activision/Blizzard is the company I hate most in gaming... wink

WOOS
P
Psi Offline
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by LordCrash
Originally Posted by MindlessAutomata

Well, imo it doesn't fit that Swen is so happy to finaly cut lose from pubs and that he called the development of D:OS the "most rewarding period of his life" and that he should sell out just soon after. That makes no sense at all.

Sure it does. Larian is still engaging in business first and foremost. They are doing what they love--making these good games, but everyone loves money, too, and money does buy happiness.

Nobody said that you don't need money. But if they can make games without the money from pubs they will do so. With kickstarter and Early Access (and own money) there is imo just no reason for Larian to sell out to publishers.

And no, money can't buy happiness. That's one of the biggest fallacies of humanity but sadly most people only realize that when it's already too late...

Do you actually have a job and earn money? I don't mean to sound derogatory, but anyone who says "money can't buy happiness" sounds like they just don't have a concept of how money actually works. Money may or may not be able to directly buy happiness, but having enough and plenty of money frees you up from doing stuff you don't want or need to do and gives you the opportunity to go out there and find what does make you happy. So even if money does not directly allow you to purchase happiness, it does indirectly allow you to find happiness.

S
stranger
stranger
S
LordCrash - The choice between them is like choosing either pest (EA) or collera (Activision/Blizzard), both will kill you eventually, just a matter of time. None of them are good.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Psi
Originally Posted by MindlessAutomata

Well, imo it doesn't fit that Swen is so happy to finaly cut lose from pubs and that he called the development of D:OS the "most rewarding period of his life" and that he should sell out just soon after. That makes no sense at all.

Sure it does. Larian is still engaging in business first and foremost. They are doing what they love--making these good games, but everyone loves money, too, and money does buy happiness.

Nobody said that you don't need money. But if they can make games without the money from pubs they will do so. With kickstarter and Early Access (and own money) there is imo just no reason for Larian to sell out to publishers.

And no, money can't buy happiness. That's one of the biggest fallacies of humanity but sadly most people only realize that when it's already too late...

Do you actually have a job and earn money? I don't mean to sound derogatory, but anyone who says "money can't buy happiness" sounds like they just don't have a concept of how money actually works. Money may or may not be able to directly buy happiness, but having enough and plenty of money frees you up from doing stuff you don't want or need to do and gives you the opportunity to go out there and find what does make you happy. So even if money does not directly allow you to purchase happiness, it does indirectly allow you to find happiness.

Are we in a philosophy course right now? Anyway, that's way off topic.

WOOS
addict
addict
I don't even know why everyone hates EA so much. Imo Activision is much more evil. Activision/Blizzard is the company I hate most in gaming... wink

Activision used to be the favorite whipping boy, but EA ripped the title from them. To be honest I don't play many Activision games and never any MMO's anymore. I did like StarCraft but when they decided to sell StarCraft 2 in three parts, I lost all interest. Now I just watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LeBurns

Activision used to be the favorite whipping boy, but EA ripped the title from them. To be honest I don't play many Activision games and never any MMO's anymore. I did like StarCraft but when they decided to sell StarCraft 2 in three parts, I lost all interest. Now I just watch the cutscenes on YouTube.

Well, if Acitivison games are that bad that you don't even play them anymore... :P

EA games have at least something that can be enjoyed.

Blizzard is a bit different, but their games are way overprized. The expansion for Diablo 3 basically costs as much as full price games from other developers (e.g. Larian). And they almost never go on sale. And I hate their always-online policy. You actually can't become more evil than Blizzard in terms of DRM...

WOOS
addict
addict

Well, if Acitivison games are that bad that you don't even play them anymore... :P

EA games have at least something that can be enjoyed.

Blizzard is a bit different, but their games are way overprized. The expansion for Diablo 3 basically costs as much as full price games from other developers (e.g. Larian). And they almost never go on sale. And I hate their always-online policy. You actually can't become more evil than Blizzard in terms of DRM...

Well Diablo lost me when I saw the PC character models and classes. Then the price ... and auction house ... yeah, Blizzard is a bastard all right.

So, since we are on the topic ... if Larian had to be sold, who would you want to buy them?

veteran
veteran

So, since we are on the topic ... if Larian had to be sold, who would you want to buy them?

CD Projekt

hahaha

WOOS
N
stranger
stranger
N
OMG JUST HAD THE BEST IDEA EVA!!!!

Sega buys out Larian, hands them over to Atlus...Next Divinity game has S-LINKS!!!!!

WOOOOOO

------

Actually Im a fan of Atlus and I do think Sega is getting a lot better (with the occasional one step forward 2 steps back mentality...) so I can't hate on em too much :p.

Here's a serious thought. I would rather pay a more premium 50-60 dollars for their future game as a self publisher where the game is made as intended than as a bought out developer where their intentions are suppressed by corporate politics. Just a thought!

veteran
veteran

CD Projekt

hahaha

Paradox?
But yeah, let's keep them in European hands.

(No, I don't think they will sell themselves out either)

M
apprentice
apprentice
M

And no, money can't buy happiness.

lol, this is so wrong.

money does indeed buy happiness until you reach a level where you know your bills are paid, you have food on the table, and little to worry about.

the majority of stress people face in life comes from financial problems and bills. this is completely based on money.

the only time that phrase is remotely true is if you are talking about a wealthy man who wants to be even more wealthy. well sure, he doesnt really need more money. at some point it will just become greed.

however, just saying money doesnt buy happiness like some blanket statement is some fairy tale crap from childhood stories like santa claus. you know he doesnt exist right?

old hand
old hand
I would be very disappointed if Larian got bought out. So far with someone else pulling the strings, it has caused Larian Studios a lot of headachs.

The article is hard to read, but it appears as if both parties, Larian and the potential buyer, are remaining anonymous. The key facts are first they are all going to take a vacation when things die down and going to think about this offer for a while. I would hope that Swen would talk to the community first, but then again he's been threw hell in the past 12 years with the company.

If he gets bought out, I doubt he'll get to make the game he's been dreaming of. I can't imagine the Divinity series in the hands of someone else. I've already seen how one of my favorite game series went to hell, Castlevania.... talk about a game series that got so utterly ruined.

Mr. Fritz,
Money will buy you some happiness, the rest of the happiness one can get is threw some sort of passion. Right now my faith is that Swen is in it for creating an awesome gaming experiance and earn a good living at the same time. I'd be shocked, horrified, angry, disgusted.... ok I'll go with "all sorts of un-Godly miserable" to find out he sold out.

Also, Santa DOES exist... I've just been a very naughty boy for the past two decades of my life and he won't even waste his time delivering me coal!

Last edited by LightningLockey; 17/07/14 01:09 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
journeyman
journeyman
I am hysterical and crying over this. Please please please don't sell out Larian!

(sheesh, you guys rolleyes)

Last edited by Cattletech; 17/07/14 01:12 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MrFritz

And no, money can't buy happiness.

Another philosophy course? Thanks for taking my quote out of context but anyway, way offtopic.

Last edited by LordCrash; 17/07/14 01:38 AM.

WOOS
A
stranger
stranger
A
From a purely selfish point of view, I hope that Larian doesn't get bought out. Unlike some people I'm fond of some of the AAA RPG that have come out lately. But variety is a good thing; I want both D:OS and DA:I.

That being said, if I was offered a couple of million dollars for an asset of mine, I rather suspect Mrs Askarn would be... unhappy if I said no. End of the day, Swen has to do what's best for him and his.

Sanity is for the weak
W
stranger
stranger
W
Please people from Larian, don't let anyone buy you. You managed to create a real game, a game that true pc players always dreamed about, but it was forbidden to create in a world where gaming industry is corrupted by evil entities.

You proved that it's still possible, that there is still hope.

Stay true to your heart.

Last edited by Wes Knight; 17/07/14 06:42 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Wes Knight
Please people from Larian, don't let anyone buy you. You managed to create a real game, a game that true pc players always dreamed about, but it was forbidden to create in a world where gaming industry is corrupted by evil entities.

You proved that it's still possible, that there is still hope.

Stay true to your heart.

I don't think the developers ("people who created the game") are the ones to decide this. Such cases are usually handled by director / board of directors - by those who own Larian at the moment, not by people who work in the company, sadly. However, Larian might be just the case of the director being the developer and a game lover himself.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Wayward

I don't think the developers ("people who created the game") are the ones to decide this. Such cases are usually handled by director / board of directors - by those who own Larian at the moment, not by people who work in the company, sadly. However, Larian might be just the case of the director being the developer and a game lover himself.

It is actually my understanding that Swen owns the company. Or am I wrong?

K
K

EA have Bioware.

Yup and BioWare are a joke, Dragon Age Origins was the last decent game they made.

veteran
veteran
EDIT: Reply to Jacob, above post wasn't here back then smile

Yup. They're not a stockmarketed company, so no 'board of directors' either...

But really, people actually imagine Larian would do this after just experiencing the liberating feeling of not being owned or guided by a publisher, what they wished for for years...?

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 17/07/14 09:42 AM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard