W
wibble Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
I just received my KS CE today.

THAT MAP SUCKS BALLS.

Why does it exist? What's that fucking material it's made from? (you said cloth, not nylon. Not doing very well in the accuracy stakes, are you?).. and why is it such a blurry mess? Are we supposed to be able to look at it and recognise something from it, cos I bloody well can't. Why would I want to put this on my wall?

How could Larian have looked at the finished product and said.. Yeah, they'll like that."

For the money you spent on the playing cards (that we didn't ask for) you could have given us a really nice map, maybe even shammy.

With all the cock ups and changes and last minute scrambling to actually fulfil your promises, how is this a reward to anyone? Are we supposed to 'feel' rewarded?

All I feel is that we (as a collective) have had to shout and moan too much over these matter just to keep you on track.

When you have to stand over someone just to make sure that a proper job is done.. that's not fun, it's not rewarding and it doesn't make us predisposed to liking you, in fact believe it or not, it has the opposite effect.

Yes, your game is good, excellent in fact, but you removed the shine and gleam by screwing around too much.

EDIT.. No, this isn't just a 'map' issue, just the latest in a list of disappointments that could, so easily, have been avoided had you cared enough to do it properly.

It's the 'not caring about your backer's enough to make sure a proper job was done' part that really bothers me.

Last edited by wibble; 18/07/14 12:32 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
can you post pic of map?

journeyman
journeyman
You got 2 copies of a game costing 40$ each, which comes to 80$ (digitally that is).
You also got 3 other games, costing 30$ together
You also got PHYSICAL cards, which aren't exactly free as well.
You also got a soundtrack on an actual disc
You also got a cloth map, sure you can debate the quality, but you honestly weren't expecting a 3 foot map to be in such a small box were you?
And all other goodies

So I think that you were not screwed over at all my friend, I think you are just looking for some attention

Last edited by Styno; 18/07/14 12:56 PM.
W
wibble Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by Styno
You got 2 copies of a game costing 40$ each, which comes to 80$ (digitally that is).
You also got 3 other games, costing 30$ together
You also got PHYSICAL cards, which aren't exactly free as well.
You also got a soundtrack on an actual disc
You also got a cloth map, sure you can debate the quality, but you honestly weren't expecting a 3 foot map to be in such a small box were you?
And all other goodies

So I think that you were not screwed over at all my friend, I think you are just looking for some attention

Typical, you can't even expect to get what you expect to get without some asshole piping up that I should be thankful for what I got.

You can have that opinion all you wish, but don't even think to propose that it's in some way, any way, a reasonable point of view.

W
wibble Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by DragonCommander
can you post pic of map?

What would that accomplish? It's not as if I got a special crap map, they are all crap. There are pics available, I just avaoided them til I had it in my hands. This is my reaction.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by wibble
can you post pic of map?

What would that accomplish? It's not as if I got a special crap map, they are all crap. There are pics available, I just avaoided them til I had it in my hands. This is my reaction.

This video is a month old
http://youtu.be/sGngb4egREM?t=3m3s

Here you can see the map as is

S
S
Every day i see someone whining about shitty map. But I've never seen any pics. How can i tell you "Yes, you're right! Larian should be ashamed!" when I really don't know if they should be ashamed?

can you post pic of map?

It would help those of us that haven't seen the map to have an idea of what you are complaining about. Styno's video link helps, though it looks fine there.

When I saw the items during the CE preview, I was not impressed. I remember Swen not dwelling on it either. I was expecting something at least as long as my underarm on some type of heavy fabric.
I had the CE ordered, but I canceled when the dice were cut and have not been sorry.

veteran
veteran
The cloth map is indeed very underwhelming. It's sadly of very poor quality (size is not the problem).

But I hope my kickstarter backer edition will seriously be upgraded once the art book arrives. smile

Last edited by LordCrash; 18/07/14 02:18 PM.

WOOS
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
can you post pic of map?

What would that accomplish?

Oh, I don't know, maybe then people who don't have the map can judge for themselves just how much of a full-of-crap whiner you are?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica
can you post pic of map?

What would that accomplish?

Oh, I don't know, maybe then people who don't have the map can judge for themselves just how much of a full-of-crap whiner you are?

While OP is a big whiner, the map is pretty bad. I was expecting something more like the Ultima cloth maps of old, or even the Dragon Age map...but what we got was just what he said - some kind of nylon material, thin, transparent, blurry image.

That said I'm fine with it as I'm betting it was the best Larian could get with the resources they had available (from their own time and budget to the options available when hiring a print shop), and they're probably as disappointed as we are with the quality.

So sure, disappointing? Ya, I wanted to frame it along with the other classic cloth maps of old. Big deal worthy of a rant? Meh, not really...

Last edited by Norb; 18/07/14 05:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
Here you are:

[Linked Image]

- Quality is bad (VERY thin, not really cloth material)
- Colours are bad (with an extreme red cast)
- Design is lacking (seems loveless and blurry overall)
- Who thought it would be a good idea to use a cryptic font???

Last edited by LordCrash; 18/07/14 05:27 PM.

WOOS
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It didn't immediately strike me as absolutely terrible, though I guess I felt slightly let down: it was a bit small and flimsy, after all. I guess the artistic style is a matter of interpretation: I'd have preferred a full-colour map with readable legends, though what we got was a reasonably believable Rivellonean map. With tea spilt on it.

J'aime le fromage.
The map is definitely a huge disappointment. I don't know if nylon (as the OP said) is the actual material or not, but the actual feel of it is closer to paper than cloth (see the sharp creases in LordCrash's picture for proof of that). On top of that, very few things are marked on the map (and the few things that are, are in a ridiculously cryptic font). Also, the color of the map itself is absolutely atrocious and everything bleeds through to the back.

The game itself is amazing though, so it's forgiveable. And by the way,

Originally Posted by Styno

I actually got 4 copies of the game. 2 Steam keys from Larian Vault, one Steam key on the back of the game manual, and a 4th Steam key in a separate card inside the CE box. Plus a Steam key for Dragon Commander on Larian Vault, and Steam keys for Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity in the CE box. So overall, 7 games.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Well at least you can take comfort in the fact that a map like this, no matter how great it is, is pretty much worthless anyway.

What if this map was the best map ever shipped in the history of videos games? Then what? I'm sorry but this map simply does not MATTER.

veteran
veteran
Well at least you can take comfort in the fact that a map like this, no matter how great it is, is pretty much worthless anyway.

What if this map was the best map ever shipped in the history of videos games? Then what? I'm sorry but this map simply does not MATTER.

Wow, easy. This map seems to matter to quite some people. You're obviously just not one of them. That doesn't mean that it has to be the same way for everyone else. And some things matter even without having a big financial value, you know...

WOOS
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Map is an insult to any backer who based his $95+ pledge on it.

Blurry "cloth" map + still no digital map + cut dice... I wish I'd canceled my CE when given the chance. I don't care about getting 4 copies of the game - I wanted the CE for the swag, not game codes that shall go unused.

Generally, people do not buy collector's editions for the game. They do it for the limited edition items. The premium feel. So if someone pays a premium but gets what amounts to crap.. disappointment is likely.

The regular boxed version of Shadow of the Beast on Amiga came with a nice over sized box with great artwork on the front and a high quality t-shirt inside, also with great artwork.
Today that box sells for 500+ English Pounds, more if mint.

Somehow I doubt D:OS CE will sell for anywhere near that in 20 years.

old hand
old hand
Agreed with the map, I feel cheated there, because it was one of the primary reason I backed for this Kickstarter level. I thought it would have a similar quality than those the Ultima games had.

It was advertised as cloth map then it should be using cloth as material smile

Btw the rune translation is missing in the manual...

Last edited by Nemisis_Dragon; 19/07/14 08:37 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard