Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
stranger
stranger
D
Does this also affect the books you get later in the game that give you attributes/skill points?

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by depresso
Does this also affect the books you get later in the game that give you attributes/skill points?

I didn't change those. All I changed were the Skill books for each skill school (Air,Earth,Water,Fire, Man-at-Arms, Expert Marksman, Scoundrel, Witchcraft).

The only non-standard book I might consider making infinite use later would probably be the Use Tenebrium skill book.

enthusiast
enthusiast
After yesterday's patch playing with this mod enabled causes some pretty extreme loading times for me. I am playing singleplayer and did start a new game.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Actually last night before the patch the mod worked perfectly for me, but today not so much.

Edit: Found a fix, had to unactivate and re activate the mod in the game to make it work again.

Last edited by Shaya; 16/07/14 04:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Shaya - I am getting that with the Font mod. Sometimes when I start up it accepts the new font, other times it accepts the modified one. I moved, recopied from the location. I am currently of the belief the game is flaky here and sometimes it picks it up and sometimes not. The file never changed, nor the location, sometimes it kicks in, sometimes not.

As for the skillbook mod... go figure, prior to the patch I couldn't pass it from one character to another, now I can. To me there is a lot of work yet at Larian with this whole mod'ing thing.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Horrorscope - Yeah they have alot of work to do to fix the modability of this game. So miss the Neverwinter nights game (not NWN 2), loved to mod and build a fully workable server "world".

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Horrorscope
Shaya - I am getting that with the Font mod. Sometimes when I start up it accepts the new font, other times it accepts the modified one. I moved, recopied from the location. I am currently of the belief the game is flaky here and sometimes it picks it up and sometimes not. The file never changed, nor the location, sometimes it kicks in, sometimes not.

As for the skillbook mod... go figure, prior to the patch I couldn't pass it from one character to another, now I can. To me there is a lot of work yet at Larian with this whole mod'ing thing.

The priority and what is actually loaded is another issue...the lockpick/skillbook workaround doesn't really work anymore; so I figured - since it was my 1st game and hopefully won't respecc in my new one - I don't need the skillbook thingie anymore.
Built myself the lockpick change and got it working, but only if positioned at the first load-order. (2nd one is still the recipe mod)
Another mystery is, why it won't accept 2 or more different *txt changes (like less HP boost on normal + tbh I hate "what a rush" on Madora ^^) in one mod. But only if they ain't placed at the top loading position, or it's russian roulette and you only get one file applied but not the other and vice versa.

If I e.g. place the character.txt in the proper path-structure in my own re-created lockpick-mod at the first loading position and then thereafter the recipe-mod everything is fine.

Sadly, am currently about switching jobs and doing some online training and my time is more than limited. yay back to programming business it is :>

Really a wicked thing that D:OS modding is... think

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
The priority issue is known; only the 1st mod at the top of the load order works. This is why we have been suggesting that people merge the RootTemplate/Stat folders into a single mod.

N
addict
addict
N
The load order is only a problem if two mods are modifying the same item.
Because most people mod root templates by copying the original .lsb and changing a few values in them, obviously those are going to conflict sooner or later.

If you're modding RootTemplates, you should (ideally) make a new root template .lsb with only one template in it, the one you're changing.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Yeah I know, but it did or does conflict with generated *txt files as well, if together in one mod.
Its not about root templates, that I've learned myself so far...

In my case, I had or have a modified lockpick mod (re-created; after the old one didn't work for me or the save/load procedure stalled every time) and the 'missing recipe' mod. If I would put another changed *txt in the recipe-mod folder, it will be completely ignored - also pre-patched version. Changed in my game for instance, the boost HP to 10% and switched out one of Madoras' skills.

If I then would put the file in the existent 'recipe' mod, only one of those files is loaded (including the proper file structure). If pointed to loading order 1, then it is working, but the root-template mod (indef. lockpick) was completely ignored.
So, why does that behavior, which should only occur for changing *lsb files also applies to *txt as well?
Haven't had much time for testing, but did put the character.txt in my lockpick-mod (1st load) and recipe as 2nd load-order. That way it is working...might try out to put them all-together...but as long it is working fine without having issues am fine with.

The *lsb/root template stuff is known to me - on a sidenote...

edit: am usually not that interested into *pak file modding, though. But this one pecked my interest ^^

Last edited by valky; 16/07/14 11:13 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
It applies to them because the game uses a similar logic for loading .txt-s.

If two .txt-s contain the same skill, stat block, crafting combination, etc. one of them will overwrite the other.
The proper way to prevent this is to remove stuff from the .txt that you didn't actually modify.
eg. if you only changed the Fortify ability, you should remove *everything* from your SkillData.txt except the following:
Code
new entry "Target_Fortify"

new entry "Target_Fortify_3"
data "Level" "3"

This way it won't overwrite someone elses stuff.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
i c...will give it a shot tomorrow, since am not really satisfied with my solution smile

edit: so it functions like an appendix or kinda, but tries to overwrite the current formula, if existent?

edit2: thx a bunch, mate..that helped a lot to clarify things! :P

Last edited by valky; 16/07/14 11:24 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
quick question, (I hope), about having multiple recipes that are the same. When I tested it, both trying to overwrite an existing recipe, the game engine would alternate between the new recipe and the original. Since I only made the change directly to the .txt file using unurobos mod, it that what is causing me problems? Is there somewhere else to make the changes and avoid this problem? Thanks.

Last edited by bowlfreaknot; 18/07/14 09:42 PM.
P
P
Recipes can only append. They cannot modify the original recipes. When 2 recipes have the same inputs then the outcome is random although it may also be cyclical.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Nuts. I think I keep banging my head against the wall with this and the best answer is just to be patient and wait... but I never was patient.

I haven't tested it enough to be certain but in three trials of 5 sets of combinations where the items where duplicated once in the original file and once in a new .txt file, it alternated between the two recipes. When I created five new recipes each with the same two inputs but a different output, it randomly returned outputs, based on about the same number of trials.

But I'm wondering if it's possible to override that behavior? Does anyone know if we have access to what is making decisions about whether to look at it's original information verses the mod files?

apprentice
apprentice
This is a very important mod, please publish it in Nexus too, many more people will know it, also it will be easy to find, with its own forum for questions and update notes, and probably the most important thing is a safe download system with virus check. Let's enhance the Nexus DOS community!

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by Antartnord
This is a very important mod, please publish it in Nexus too, many more people will know it, also it will be easy to find, with its own forum for questions and update notes, and probably the most important thing is a safe download system with virus check. Let's enhance the Nexus DOS community!

Uploaded to Nexus here

The Nexus mod is under a new Mod name (Infinite Skillbooks, rather than the Enhanced Skillbooks here) and I changed its RootTemplate file so that it doesn't contain the irrelevant entries (like scrolls and non-skillbooks).

I have finally encountered the Disappearing-when-Transferring bug others have been talking about when I was taking a picture of the mod (which doesn't look good on Nexus frown ).

I was able to circumvent it by dropping the Skillbook onto the ground, which for some reason enabled it to be transferred the normal way afterwards.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Thanks so much for the mod. It really is a needed addition. Just wanted to let you know that my friend and I are using the mod and both of us found it to not work with "Boulder Bash" skillbook. Every other book we have encountered has been fine, just boulder bash.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I just updated the file on Nexus so that Boulder Bash works as well. It turns out I got BoulderBash confused with BoulderDash when I was going through the files the first time around, so it got left out.

Edit:
This also means that the file linked to in the OP of this topic (Enhanced Skillbooks) is missing Boulder Bash as well.

Last edited by Rhidian; 20/07/14 09:04 PM.
OK, here's one for your thinking hat.

I've added Missing Recipes mod to my Main game via pasting its content into the Main folder (and of course there's a warning that the main folder's been altered, no multiplayer for you, blah blah blah - don't care) because I already had a game in progress and didn't feel like restarting.

The "missing recipes" mod works - that is, missing recipes have been added.

Now, I want to add this lovely skillbooks mod on top of it. Is there any way to merge it in? If I just paste the RootTemplates folder into Main\Public it doesn't work of course.

Help appreciated!

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard