Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Do you know, I actually really like the cloth map. It's got quite a period feel, if gives a sense of place and scale and a few clues about where looks threatening, but also has a sense of ancient inaccuracy and hand-drawn quality. Really, I like it. Material could be more robust, though.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
"ancient inaccuracy" meaning blown-up jpeg?

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
No, I mean a bit like this:-

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/05/12/new-study-look-norse-farming-orkney-isles/

I can see why people might not like it. Just expressing my own view.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vandraman
No, I mean a bit like this:-

http://www.medievalists.net/2014/05/12/new-study-look-norse-farming-orkney-isles/

I can see why people might not like it. Just expressing my own view.

Well, if you ask me the map in your link looks way better than the map delivered with the CE...

WOOS
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by Drithius
Map is an insult to any backer who based his $95+ pledge on it.

Blurry "cloth" map + still no digital map + cut dice... I wish I'd canceled my CE when given the chance. I don't care about getting 4 copies of the game - I wanted the CE for the swag, not game codes that shall go unused.

Seriously who pledges $95+ solely for a cloth map.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Diabolus_Musica

Blurry "cloth" map + still no digital map + cut dice... I wish I'd canceled my CE when given the chance. I don't care about getting 4 copies of the game - I wanted the CE for the swag, not game codes that shall go unused.

Seriously who pledges $95+ solely for a cloth map.

Why are you even here if you don't give a shit about the CE and its parts???

Last edited by LordCrash; 19/07/14 09:57 PM.

WOOS
stranger
stranger
Here is how I see it. I'm guessing a lot of you are KS backers, who have pledged the CE backing tier. I bring this up because you didn't buy a typical CE. This isn't the Skyrim Super Sexy CE Of The Ages. You invested money into a dream. An unfinished project. Your money was spent on a multitude of things, including which, was the development of this game. We aren't talking about an EA funded mega-franchise that has silly money to spend. Honestly, if you were a tag-along pledger, looking to score some "free" goodies, you are missing the point of Kickstarter in general. The idea behind pledging is that you are willingly supporting the creator's dream. While the game probably wouldn't have been made without our support, that doesn't mean the Dev's "owe" us anything, and that includes a AAA quality goodie bag.

Yes, I am a CE collector myself. I purchase/preorder those packages with the intent of enjoying the included extras. I enjoy having physical reminders of my experiences within a wonderful, or sometimes terrible game. But this isn't a typical CE experience. For me anyway, I was more excited about funding a game that would let me relive my first experiences with games like Baldurs Gate, and Icewind Dale. I could brag about having my name in the credits, or having NPCs named after me. And if I picked up a few physical collectables, so be it.

But let me say this. Even the OP has admitted to the game being an amazing experience. Would you have preferred it if Larian took money away from development, maybe cutting parts of the game you love the most, just so you could have a human skin leather map drawn in the blood of your enemies? Or plastic little gaming dice, that, let's be honest here, most of us nerds have pouches upon pouches of already at home?

It's ok to be disappointed in the quality of physical deliverables. Just don't forget WHY you gave money to these fine folks to begin with. Plus, I'd rather have shoddy toys than a buggy, broken game, which is the main reason why we are all here in the first place isn't it?

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I don't regret giving money to larian. I regret giving as much as I did only to get the carrot at the end of the stick pulled away from me in the form of cut stretch goals and shoddy physical rewards. Supporting a "dream" is all fine and good, but being content with bad business practices is something else entirely.

veteran
veteran
I don't regret giving money to larian. I regret giving as much as I did only to get the carrot at the end of the stick pulled away from me in the form of cut stretch goals and shoddy physical rewards. Supporting a "dream" is all fine and good, but being content with bad business practices is something else entirely.

Unfortunately the unpleasant reality of this world is that 1 mil is a very tiny and extremely limited budget for developers to work with. I pledged plenty myself and some of the things lost have left me quite disappointed but ultimately they did deliver a great game that as far as I can tell is meeting significant financial success topping sales charts on both Steam and GOG....this is great news, Larian have said they intend to continue supporting the game and this success will enable them to do that. Some of the things lost are coming, like the companions which will land in August and we've already had the AI personalities added a few days ago. Not all is lost and I think at some point the 10 level dungeon will arrive as well.

Now obviously the cloth map is going to get any better, nor is it going to be replaced or whatever but in the end it's a shortfall I can handle. The biggest thing that will count most will be the end state of the game once the patches are done and additional content stops....whether that is in a year or in five or in ten. How will history look back upon this game? I think in a very favorable way, the way things are working out right now I'm excited!

R
RtM Offline
R

Think you'd mind sending me a code? I guarantee it will be used and greatly appreciated by my brother wave thankyou

I'd agree with others here that the physical set is a bit of a disappointment (the map especially) but also that it's the game that matters most which Larian has done pretty well, and will hopefully offer major enhancements in future.

Last edited by Stargazer; 20/07/14 10:24 AM.
veteran
veteran
Well, nobody complains that the game itself is bad here...

But still the physical map is lacking. That's imo just a sad fact. wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 20/07/14 01:20 PM.

WOOS
M
stranger
stranger
M
Not really...I disagree with the passive approach of the KS supporters here.

I did not pledge originally in the kickstarter, but let me explain why they should be pissed off this happened:

- THE BIGGEST POINT: Money is money, money makes the world goes around, pays bills, buys hookers, buys food. When somebody puts money into something thats a labour of love, in the crowdsourcing scenario the buyeris INVESTING money and basically expecting NO RETURN, other than the promise of a finished game.

^ If you think about it this is extremely unfair to the kickstarter supporters, they will never see any of the revenue in project they invested in, no matter how much money DOS ends up making. Imagine investing in a company, but not getting any shares of share of the revenue. In that light kickstarter supporters are incredibly SELFLESS.

- The game was delayed again and again, though for good reason. We can imagine the anguish of those who payed 95USD about 1.5 years before the game was released. Its easy for players buying the game now to say the kickstarters are whiners, but they didn't suffer the pain of having to wait.

- A few stretch goals were completely missed, such as the inclusion of more companions and a day night cycle, whilst these are not game breaking, and resources were likely to be put somewhere else, it still doesn't change the fact that the game is not 100% of what was promised. At one point the companions were all meant to have complete story lines, and there was meant to be relationships and stuff (all this was promised on someway).

- So in that light in doesn't make sense for Larian studios to under deliver on a delayed box set, missing dice, and making a crappy map (which is arguable the coolest part of the physical version).

So it is wit these points that I strongly argue that Larian should spend some of the money they have no doubt made from Steam to provide better quality maps to the kickstarter supporters, its really the least they can do from a community of people that funded the completion and perfection of their project and also contributed endless FREE FEEDBACK.

I would personally never support a kickstarter, because why should I spend my own hard earned money to "donate" to a company making a product I have no idea will be good or not, and making a product ultimately I will have no share of the profits at all. I truly respect people who can give up their own money to support somebody else's dream and ask nothing back.

Again money is money, to me if you spend money you should get something back, as much as I adore independent studios, this isn't non profit charity here.

I love DOS, and its a great example of kickstarting gone right, but i've also seen numerous other projects massively underdeliver, ultimately the developers are the ones who walk away with the money.

The least the supporters can get is some dignity in their money spent.

Last edited by Major Legend; 20/07/14 06:48 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Styno
You got 2 copies of a game costing 40$ each, which comes to 80$ (digitally that is).
You also got 3 other games, costing 30$ together
You also got PHYSICAL cards, which aren't exactly free as well.
You also got a soundtrack on an actual disc
You also got a cloth map, sure you can debate the quality, but you honestly weren't expecting a 3 foot map to be in such a small box were you?
And all other goodies

So I think that you were not screwed over at all my friend, I think you are just looking for some attention

To be completely honest... you're the one coming off as looking for some attention...

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Maphyr
Originally Posted by Styno
You got 2 copies of a game costing 40$ each, which comes to 80$ (digitally that is).
You also got 3 other games, costing 30$ together
You also got PHYSICAL cards, which aren't exactly free as well.
You also got a soundtrack on an actual disc
You also got a cloth map, sure you can debate the quality, but you honestly weren't expecting a 3 foot map to be in such a small box were you?
And all other goodies

So I think that you were not screwed over at all my friend, I think you are just looking for some attention

To be completely honest... you're the one coming off as looking for some attention...

You should just stop trolling, kiddo.

We're all on the internet for such a long time. up

Now playing: Earthbound | Last Game: The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker HD
MAL | MML
enthusiast
enthusiast
Personally I am happy with everything I got for the money I pledged ($600).

But looking at Steam I do think 9.99 for a the source hunter DLC is pretty steep. You get a few in game item and then a few goodies next to the game like a digital art book. I would expect much more for 9.99. As a consumer I would feel ripped off for that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Jacob Marner
Personally I am happy with everything I got for the money I pledged ($600).

But looking at Steam I do think 9.99 for a the source hunter DLC is pretty steep. You get a few in game item and then a few goodies next to the game like a digital art book. I would expect much more for 9.99. As a consumer I would feel ripped off for that.

You also get the digital soundtrack with 22 tracks and the design documents.

You usually pay up to $1-2 for a digital song on iTunes or Amazon so the price is imo not that bad IF you are a fan (everyone else shouldn't buy the DLC anyway)... wink

Last edited by LordCrash; 20/07/14 08:23 PM.

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by LordCrash

You usually pay up to $1-2 for a digital song on iTunes or Amazon so the price is imo not that bad IF you are a fan (everyone else shouldn't buy the DLC anyway)... wink

True. What you get is clearly marked on the DLC at the point of purchase. So people can just not buy it.

However, I still think the price is too steep. On GOG for instance a OST is included with many games for free.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by LordCrash

True. What you get is clearly marked on the DLC at the point of purchase. So people can just not buy it.

However, I still think the price is too steep. On GOG for instance a OST is included with many games for free.

Actually it's not though it's easy to see why you'd think it is since it's in the same spot with the rest of your goodies. In reality it's part of the Source Hunter DLC, look at this page, not on your own game shelf to see what people who only buy the game get: http://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin

The artbook, design notes and soundtrack are part of the Source Hunter DLC, and don't go with a regular copy of the game.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 20/07/14 09:15 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
On GOG for instance a OST is included with many games for free.

Actually it's not though it's easy to see why you'd think it is since it's in the same spot with the rest of your goodies. In reality it's part of the Source Hunter DLC, look at this page, not on your own game shelf to see what people who only buy the game get: http://www.gog.com/game/divinity_original_sin

The artbook, design notes and soundtrack are part of the Source Hunter DLC, and don't go with a regular copy of the game.

To be fair, he said "many games", not necessarily this game.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard