Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Totex Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Well been playing a lot and it's a good game, the only gripe and major flaw that i have with the game atm and it made me quit playing is the skill/tenebrium system.

After leveling past lvl 14~15 i just found out that after i've invested a lot of points in all my chars in weapon skills that they are pretty much useless to use with tenebrium weapons ='(

veteran
veteran
So? You get the Tenebrium skill for all your party members so you no longer get infected with Rot from them and then they can use Tenebrium weapons....all the melee skills still apply, what's the big deal?

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
The big deal is that weapons with tenebrium damage on them only benefit from +damage from the Tenebrium ability, not the other weapon abilities like Bow, Single Handed, Two Handed, etc. So if you invested heavily into the latter, those ability points you've spent are essentially wasted once you reach the point in the game where you get access to tenebrium weapons.

But the real problem is that unless you've played through the game before or have read guides, there is no way you could know this beforehand and plan accordingly. So basically the game more or less tricks you into building your character sub-optimally unless u meta-game, which is just poor game design. Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if respeccing wasn't such a pain in the butt, but as the game currently stands people are right to complain about it.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Yeah, most people agree that it's bullshit. You're not alone.

Originally Posted by Darth Trethon
all the melee skills still apply, what's the big deal?

No they don't. When you are using a Tenebrium-enchanted weapon, ONLY Tenebrium skill applies.

addict
addict
I don't get what the big deal is, you will still receive more than enough ability points to skill your character with tenebrium weapons...

Anyway, you can redistribute your attribute/ability/trait points in the homestead if it bothers you.

Last edited by dlux; 23/07/14 05:43 PM.
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by dlux
I don't get what the big deal is, you will still receive more than enough ability points to skill your character with tenebrium weapons...

It makes the weapon skills completely pointless after the 2nd act. At the very least, that's bad game design.
Originally Posted by dlux
Anyway, you can redistribute your attribute/ability/trait points in the homestead if it bothers you.

Respecing also makes you forget every ability you learned, so you need to track them down and buy them again.

The weapon skills exist to make certain characters feel different from other characters. My 2-h warrior is great with 2-handers, but sucks with 1-handers.
Well Tenebrium throws all that out the window.

veteran
veteran
It's a badly designed setup, which few seem to be content with going by some of the other threads on this topic. Unfortunately this is one of those items that got zero testing during alpha/beta and came to everyone as an unwelcome surprise.

T
Totex Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
So? You get the Tenebrium skill for all your party members so you no longer get infected with Rot from them and then they can use Tenebrium weapons....all the melee skills still apply, what's the big deal?

Here says otherwise
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672174-divinity-original-sin/69598789

And i'm running with a party of two 2h guys + rogue + mage, i cannot respec my companions, so IMHO bad design flaw to introduce a late game skill making the invested point pretty much useless or barring some of my chars to use some type of weapon/upgrade frown

Last edited by Totex; 23/07/14 05:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Totex
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Here says otherwise
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/672174-divinity-original-sin/69598789

And i'm running with a party of two 2h guys + rogue + mage, i cannot respec my companions, so IMHO bad design flaw to introduce a late game skill making the invested point pretty much useless or barring some of my chars to use some type of weapon/upgrade frown

So respec. Beyond that I'm sure this will be patched in time. The game still has lots of issues but Larian is working hard to fix this so kick back and relax, all will be alright.

veteran
veteran
I agree. It sucks. And on top of it it's nowhere explained properly BEFORE you get the skill.

It just makes no sense.

Tenebrium skill should only enable to use Tenebrium weapons and increase the Tenebrium damage. Normal and elemental damage should still be dependent on traditional skills like man-at-arms imo.

WOOS
I haven't got that far, but I'm not sure I would be upset by the shift. If your are playing it like role playing your are leveling your character fitting to what you are doing at the time, not with some end battle of the game in mind. The progression you make fits what you doing, and then presumably something unusual happens that introduces this over element which turns everything upside down.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by tarasis
I haven't got that far, but I'm not sure I would be upset by the shift. If your are playing it like role playing your are leveling your character fitting to what you are doing at the time, not with some end battle of the game in mind. The progression you make fits what you doing, and then presumably something unusual happens that introduces this over element which turns everything upside down.

I can see that, but the problem is that it removes complexity instead of adding complexity.

Imagine if, partway through the game, all of your characters got a talent which made all abilities scale off of Intelligence, instead of Strength or Dex.

Not only would all the points you spent on Dex and Str have been wasted, but it would reduce the variation in your characters. There would be no reason to build a strong guy, or a quick guy. You might as well just make 4 smart guys. Which is less interesting than making a varied party, with characters who have their own unique skills.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
It really is fine. Actually regular weapons are still more powerful than tenebrium in many cases, especially because you can craft them, so they can be :-
- sharpened for lots of extra damage
- added tenebrium damage by adding a bar to them
- also have elemental damage
- add str and DX from tormented souls
- I probably forgot some other things.

I hardly used tenebrium. It doesn't require you to throw a hissy fit. You can still win, easily, every fight with regular weapons. That said, you get plenty of points, and there's so much levelling it's easy to get plenty of levels in tenebrium if you want to.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by tarasis
If your are playing it like role playing your are leveling your character fitting to what you are doing at the time, not with some end battle of the game in mind.

I don't agree with this, and I think lot of others would be in the same boat. While you may not play the game building a character specifically for the last fight of the game...many people do play RPG's with the mindset that "I'm going to make this character the best <insert job/class> I can". They have a general idea in mind about the direction they plan to take the character, with a little wiggle room built in for surprises along the way. I doubt a lot of people would play with a willy-nilly approach of just skilling up in whatever ability is the most relevant at any given moment, because that would leave you with a really random character that was ok at doing a bunch of different things, but likely not great at anything.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by Vandraman
It really is fine. Actually regular weapons are still more powerful than tenebrium in many cases, especially because you can craft them, so they can be :-
- sharpened for lots of extra damage
- added tenebrium damage by adding a bar to them

Okay, stop. When you add tenebrium to a regular weapon, that makes it a Tenebrium weapon. So when you add a T bar to your 2-handed sword, your 2-handed skill no longer improves your damage with it.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
No, I don't think that's true. Certainly there's no skill requirement that appears ( like Tenebrium 4 as on pure T weapons)

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Vandraman
No, I don't think that's true. Certainly there's no skill requirement that appears ( like Tenebrium 4 as on pure T weapons)

Dirigible is right. If you look at weapon damage on the character sheet, it will still say it receives bonus from 2h, 1h, bow, etc., but if you look at the actual number on the bonus it will follow the Tenebrium skill. Any weapon with tenebrium damage on it (whether it's part of the original weapon or it was upgraded by crafting) gets bonus from tenebrium ability, not the other weapon abilities.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Ok, sorry, I guess I didn't notice. I still toasted everything easily in the game on my first playthrough without needing to optimize. There's so much combat after Tenebrium comes in you still have at least 7 levels to gain so you've easily got enough to pump it to 5 or higher. You get one for free, after all.

There are lots of games with late-game specific skills which you could in theory save up for. You don't need to in DOS and you don't need to cheese the game using Leech or Stealth to get through either.

In that context, and with good in-game narrative to explain and introduce this dark matter, I don't have any problem with the introduction of tenebrium.

I should add I am a player of no great skill so my experience of the combat should be fairly typical.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Plus, my other points about crafting, and the wider availability of great regular weapons (that skeleton in Hunters Edge sells some real beauties!) still stand.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I don't mind the Tenebrium skill, but it really should only increase THAT damage, I agree it hurts the player (you can even add Tenebrium to existing weapons and the damage is the determined by that skill).

Aside from the silly weapon visual effects and the last boss destroying the npc before you act (occasionally) I have zero complaints about this game, and honestly I'm not ALL that frustrated with the Tenebrium skill - I just think it is a silly concept.

"Please make game more challenging for people like me" - Metagaming, Save Scumming, Playing Easy
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard