Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#526448 24/07/14 08:47 AM
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hi!

I reached a point in the game where I just can't find the patience to sit though the fight sequences any more. I feel like everyone (including my party) has way too many HP and the combats don't really feel like fights... more like watching some guys taking turns trying to fell some really big trees in slow motion, maybe pausing a bit to sip some tea after each movement just to make it more painful to watch.

I've played a lot of turnbased combat games and honestly, I haven't been this compelled to yell "STOP WASTING MY TIME YOU IMBECILES YOU'RE NOT ACHIEVING ANYTHING!" at my screen since that one particular xcom (clone) mission ~10 years ago where I had ~20 civillians in a buiding slowly walk in circles & trying to cover behind each others each single turn while only one or two leftover aliens were hiding in an unknown location.

"AND STOP CASTING POISON SPORE ON MY ZOMBIE 4 TIMES EVERY SINGLE FREAKING TURN! ALL OF YOU!". Seriously, the last 3 combats, I started browsing the internet during my enemie's turn.

Anyway: HOW do I speed up my combats? Is there a mod that speeds up animations and reduces everyone's HP drastically? Couldn't find anything -.-

enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't agree. I think the fights are fine.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
There's nothing to agree or disagree about unless you're a psychic and accusing me of lying about wether I am bored during the fight sequences. I don't care if your experience with this is different. This isn't a poll, this is a problem I'm having with the game.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Just request for a mod in the forums. There are many who liked the combat and I've finished the game (planning on doing another playthrough). If you don't have patience for it then sadly just wait for a mod and hope someone makes it.

You'll get nothing discussing this in general forums.

addict
addict
This is one of the negative aspects of turn-based combat and why I love RTwP combat so much. This weird 2 or 3 second pause between casting spells doesn't make it any better in D:OS.

I can cope with it by minimizing the game and then browsing the forums while the enemy is taking his turn. smile

Last edited by dlux; 24/07/14 10:11 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by BugMeNot
There's nothing to agree or disagree about unless you're a psychic and accusing me of lying about wether I am bored during the fight sequences. I don't care if your experience with this is different. This isn't a poll, this is a problem I'm having with the game.

No need to get so butthurt because somebody posted his opinion which differs from yours.

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
Ouch, this is so very worrying because my experience so far is absolutely awesome!

The first area had some brutally difficult fights, and nothing was ever easy (except for a few fights we missed and then had to go back to).

Most impressive of all was the variation the different fights presented, and we've only gotten to one big fight (three levels above us) in the second area, but that again was completely new (with environmental effects and new monster behavior
sandstorm that slowed us all and spiders which actually ran away and tried to keep their distance
).

I mean, I give the battles in the first area and the second area so far an 11/10 score because they were fantastic and really exceeded my expectations.

Here's hoping Larian might patch some new behavior and balancing into the later parts of the game then, before we reach it...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by eobet

Here's hoping Larian might patch some new behavior and balancing into the later parts of the game then, before we reach it...

I think that depends on how you play it. If you maximize builds and generally power play then I am told it is way too easy the last half. Personally I am near the end of the game and I still find i challenging. So I think it is about how you play. For me the balance is fine so far.

Last edited by Jacob Marner; 24/07/14 10:24 AM.
S
S
Yeah, fights on normal became too easy for me at some point, started to be just an annoyance. It was better on hard, but mostly because my glass cannon 250hp mage, could be one-shotted by nearly any enemy.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Originally Posted by dlux
Originally Posted by BugMeNot

No need to get so butthurt because somebody posted his opinion which differs from yours.

Just wanted to make clear, that I'm not looking to get another discussion about the speed thing rolling, there's probably already been enough of that and listing all the different opinions (or fighting over who's "right") isn't helping to solve any problems. There are many factors to how combat is experienced by different players (like the choice of characters / combat style might matter a lot. I went all magic p.e. and after INT was maxed out, combats just started getting slower and slower. Especially with all those late game all-ellemental-immune creatures that are probably supposed to be beaten with "special" weapons that none of my chars can wield. )

this weird 2 or 3 second pause between casting spells

YES!!! I hate it so much -.- that's what I meant by "pause to drink some tea" laugh especially when enemies occasionally seem do it all while spamming one low-AP-cost attack after another, I just can't watch that any more T_T // so I guess there's no mod or anything to get rid of that?

Just request for a mod in the forums.

So that means there really isn't already one (that I can't find)? Guess that answers my original question, thanks!

If nobody made this already, my guess would be that there's just not an easy + balanced way to do it (with the engine) at this point and/or not enough demand... Now that I think about it: I had trouble with self-healing-loops mobs too (you know... the ones that walk trough fire, get hurt, bleed posion, which heals them, and explodes... and hurts them, which makes them bleed poison, which heals them and then explodes...) and a few other things like that would be much worse if max hp were less for everything with no further rebalancing. Probably I'll just have to wait for lategame hp / combat speed balancing etc to get some dev love.

Last edited by BugMeNot; 24/07/14 10:42 AM.
I don't see how people could have the time to browse the internet in the middle of a fight. I've played through the game and didn't experience long waiting times at all.
Sounds like impatience (or ADHD) to me. :S

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gotcha!
I don't see how people could have the time to browse the internet in the middle of a fight. I've played through the game and didn't experience long waiting times at all.
Sounds like impatience (or ADHD) to me. :S

Maybe you're just a slowpoke. xD

Anyway, waiting 30 to 60 seconds for a group of enemies to end their turns and the 2-3 second pause between casting spells/skills is annoying IMO.

I don't think the combat is boring, I really like it. It is just rather slow in D:OS and should be speeded up.

Last edited by dlux; 24/07/14 12:44 PM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
While you could wait for a mod to come out, another option is for you to tell us how you have statted up your party. Then we could tell you how to respec to make the fights MUCH faster.

Lord knows my 2 handed Man-At-Arms kills everything but a boss in 2 hits.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Incendax

Mine too. That doesn't solve the problem though.

Last edited by dlux; 24/07/14 04:20 PM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Mine too. That doesn't solve the problem though.
All of my fights except for MAJOR boss fights take under 2 minutes to resolve. It takes less than a second for my mage to cast any of her spells except very specific ones. The enemy round is usually over in under 1 minute.

If it is taking your characters longer than my characters to perform actions, maybe there is something wrong with your graphics card or the drivers? I know some games slow down for older graphics cards even if they supposedly meet the 'minimum specs'.

I had that problem with Might & Magic X. Every step took nearly 6 seconds until I bought a new graphics card, and then every step was a fraction of a second.

Last edited by Incendax; 24/07/14 04:27 PM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
While you could wait for a mod to come out, another option is for you to tell us how you have statted up your party. Then we could tell you how to respec to make the fights MUCH faster.

Thanks, but i'm not planning to reset the chars this late into the game - that's just too much work considering how little of the game I probably have left. As i wrote above: I went for an all magic build (damage was great - until int was maxed out and quite a bit further), so I didn't collect any str/dex stuff at all and revisiting all the vendors to find the stuff I sold them and sorting everything out would be a huge PITA.

It's not a graphics card issue... the delays between the skill uses just add up and the problem is multiplied with late game mages low damage... and again multiplied if the mobs have elemental immunity on top of that. An example: Fighting the 5 nightcaps + 2 infected took me about 20 minutes. Most of that time I stared at the mushrooms farting out poison projectiles (with delays in between) that did 0 damage against my summons. That wasn't very exciting. Fighting that one particular sturdy door I couldn't find a key for was more fun. I finally gave up a bit later on my second group of "special" knights when I realized that while there's no chance they could defeat my mages - the fight would probably take 15 minutes per group I encounter for the (small) rest of the game.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
The problem I have is that most fight currently for me are non-challenging, but they still take several minutes of waiting for animations to finish playing to resolve.

My suggestions for speeding combat up:
Take Glass Cannon on everyone
Set Difficulty to Hard

You now deal much more damage per turn, and have much less HP.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Sometimes enemies take SO long i literally went to the toilet, came back and they were still moving.
So annoying sometimes.
Combat speedup option is badly needed.

Maybe you're just a slowpoke. xD

Hmm... You might be right. opa

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Some more challenging combat would be nice, but doesn't combat also take a lot longer on "hard"?

I tried glass cannon once for a fight or two... didn't see much of a speed / challenge difference from that so I reloaded an old save.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard