Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
So... on 56 "regular" 51 "exploit" is just fine.
Do you hear yourself?

Sorry, this isn't ES "all to 100", you need to make choices.
Also, you got 4 characters, and you're supposed to spread out.

But do continue on with this humerous attempt of not having a clue... I'm having a blast!

Out of 27 skills we damn well better be able to max more than 3 over 20 level-ups. Do you realize how demented and retarded that is? Three fucking skills at the cost of all else....just think about how fucking retarded that is for a while. With the respawned books all combined you can max 7 out of 27....and that still seems oddly low. I understand choices but this is downright moronic.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 24/07/14 01:07 PM.
veteran
veteran
x4 for the party.
Then add skill bonusses from items.
Then add skill bonusses from traits.

Who's moronic now? Hmmm?

veteran
veteran
x4 for the party.
Then add skill bonusses from items.
Then add skill bonusses from traits.

Who's moronic now? Hmmm?

The party? What party? No, just no, you don't need to have four retards doing what one character should. Three skills per character over 20 levels if fucking demented and I couldn't give a shit less if we had a party of 20. What skill bonuses from items? You mean you get five or six points from garbage you otherwise shouldn't wear to get tiny bonuses here and there that amount to no more than one more skill...oooh my dumbass now has 4 skills instead of 3...that sure makes a difference....not.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
The party? What party? No, just no, you don't need to have four retards doing what two Lone Wolves can do.
Fixed that for you.

I must admit, the way the books work does make reducing the size of your party more appealing to consider.

You're still better off with two characters splitting the books than with just one character who gets all of them.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 24/07/14 01:32 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
The party? What party? No, just no, you don't need to have four retards doing what two Lone Wolves can do.
Fixed that for you.

I must admit, the way the books work does make reducing the size of your party more appealing to consider.

With Lone wolf you still get no more than 5 skills per character. Dude, stop grasping at straws....there is nothing you can say in the defense of the broke-ass leveling system this game has.

enthusiast
enthusiast
With Lone wolf you still get no more than 5 skills per character. Dude, stop grasping at straws....there is nothing you can say in the defense of the broke-ass leveling system this game has.
How about "you don't need rank 5 in every skill in order for them to be effective?" Because to me, 49 ability points is at least 5 abilities, sometimes more... and I can't even think of a build where I'd want rank 5 on three different abilities, since rank 4 or less would suffice for one of them.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 24/07/14 01:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
How about "you don't need rank 5 in every skill in order for them to be effective?" Because to me, 49 ability points is at least 5 abilities, sometimes more.

I don't care to do minimalist bulls***, I have no patience for it either. Three skills over 20 levels is demented and stupid, I couldn't care less if you could make it work under certain scenarios and so on.

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you don't care to do minimalist builds, you should spread out your ability points over more abilities. By insisting on five ranks in everything, you are not maximizing your potential, you are limiting yourself.

veteran
veteran
Stop trying to learn him how to RPG.

It's obvious he's of generation "I want everything, and do nothing in return to do so"
Ie. the generation that murdered RPG's.

That, or he's simply trolling...

veteran
veteran

It's obvious he's of generation "I want everything, and do nothing in return to do so"

It's a generation of I got a damn job and other obligations instead of bulls****ing around rebuilding my characters every half hour and repeating every encounter five f****** times. I could do a piss poor job at a lot of skills and all of them would be useless around late-game. I'm around level 15 and it's getting to the point where level three of anything is worthless. Could I put up with it an figure it out piece by piece, spread the skills, create diversities, exploit weaknesses etc. Sure, have I got the patience when proficiency is limited to three skills per characters or sucking at more? Absolutely f****** not.

I've got dozens of games I bought and never got around to playing, stacks of books, movies to catch up on, sports to watch and all around a life. I'm on vacation now but you've lost your damn minds if you think I'll waste a lot of time repeating combat encounters pointlessly, replacing my gear on and off every few minutes because the sneak boosters are worthless armor and on and on and on.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Think of skill ranks like this. I'll use swordfighting as an example.

0: Untrained. It's safe to say you don't know what you're doing. You learned your swordfighting skills from Hollywood action movies and Game of Thrones. Any remotely competent adversary would stab you to death with your own sword.

1: Familiar. You've read one or two books on swordfighting or had a fencing class and you know basic stances and simple maneuvers that would give you an edge over the average Joe. You can handle a sword without hurting yourself.

2: Knowledgeable. You know about swords and are beginning to appreciate the fact that an arming sword is not a broadsword is not a bastard sword. Reading the D&D books makes you giggle at the Arms and Armor section. You can handle swords with competence. You may be a re-enactor or an SCA member.

3: Experienced. You know swords. You've read manuals on swordfighting and can name and use several different styles and techniques. You have developed a natural feel for swords and can use even an unfamiliar blade with competence. If you were back in the Middle Ages you'd be a highly-valued man-at-arms.

4: Master. You're living in the wrong century. SCA members fear getting put against you in battle because you never seem to lose. You can quote the old masters of swordfighting and are familiar with almost every school and technique. The type of blade you're using no longer matters. In the Middle Ages, you'd be a well-known knight.

5: Legend. You can recite manuals of arms in your sleep. You can easily defeat a half-dozen people at once with a butter knife. You once performed an emergency appendectomy with a cavalry sabre and impressed even the EMTs. If you lived in the Middle Ages, you'd be a king's champion, if not the king himself.

Now ask yourself how many skills one could reasonably reach that fifth level in during a lifetime.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BobTheBard

Now ask yourself how many skills one could reasonably reach that fifth level in during a lifetime.

Worst argument ever, I don't care about real life....it doesn't apply for any of a trillion reasons but most of all I don't play games to be in any way reminded of real life limitations. We're supposed to play these ancient demigods of ass kicking.

B
stranger
stranger
B

It's a generation of I got a damn job and other obligations instead of bulls****ing around rebuilding my characters every half hour and repeating every encounter five f****** times. I could do a piss poor job at a lot of skills and all of them would be useless around late-game. I'm around level 15 and it's getting to the point where level three of anything is worthless. Could I put up with it an figure it out piece by piece, spread the skills, create diversities, exploit weaknesses etc. Sure, have I got the patience when proficiency is limited to three skills per characters or sucking at more? Absolutely f****** not.

I've got dozens of games I bought and never got around to playing, stacks of books, movies to catch up on, sports to watch and all around a life. I'm on vacation now but you've lost your damn minds if you think I'll waste a lot of time repeating combat encounters pointlessly, replacing my gear on and off every few minutes because the sneak boosters are worthless armor and on and on and on.

You have four party members, most probably. Use them! I'm on my first playthrough which I jumped into totally blind and haven't had too many issues yet despite only having 2-3 maxed skills per character. They just specialize and they complement each others' strengths and weaknesses, like a real adventuring party. Also learn what gear can do for you. My mage has only two blacksmithing and crafting but has gear to get both to 5.

You don't need to be able to do everything. Different skills mean different playstyles and different considerations. That's a huge part of replayability in RPGs - What happens if I'm a rogue instead of a fighter, or what happens if I specialize in this school of magic and not that one? If you want to do everything all the time perfectly, this isn't the genre of game for you.

Last edited by BobTheBard; 24/07/14 02:19 PM.
veteran
veteran

You have four party members, most probably. Use them! I'm on my first playthrough and haven't had too many issues yet despite only having 2-3 maxed skills per character. They just specialize and they complement each others' strengths and weaknesses, like a real adventuring party. Also learn what gear can do for you. My mage has only two blacksmithing and crafting but has gear to get both to 5.

You don't need to be able to do everything. Different skills mean different playstyles and different considerations. That's a huge part of replayability in RPGs - What happens if I'm a rogue instead of a fighter, or what happens if I specialize in this school of magic and not that one? If you want to do everything all the time perfectly, this isn't the genre of game for you.

Not on three fucking skills per character. That's fucking absurd. The end.

veteran
veteran
Sure, trying to make due with 49 ability points can be rough if you're actually trying to pay for the 4th and 5th point. That's generally why you try to use gear with ability bonuses on it instead. It's a lot easier getting multiple skills to 5 when it costs only 6 points instead of 15 points.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gyson
Sure, trying to make due with 49 ability points can be rough if you're actually trying to pay for the 4th and 5th point. That's generally why you try to use gear with ability bonuses on it instead. It's a lot easier getting multiple skills to 5 when it costs only 6 points instead of 15 points.

But then that gear is otherwise worthless more often than not and to keep rotating gear is a different pain...especially when the inventory system is the mess it is, filters only do so much.

B
stranger
stranger
B

It's working fine for me and I didn't even know what I was doing when I made the characters. It's all about the construction of the party and making sure those three skills and handful of off-skills all complement each other in a meaningful way. Perhaps, if you don't want to spend time figuring this out and need an easier experience where you can have all the skills forever, you can use a cheat utility?

veteran
veteran

It's working fine for me and I didn't even know what I was doing when I made the characters. It's all about the construction of the party and making sure those three skills and handful of off-skills all complement each other in a meaningful way. Perhaps, if you don't want to spend time figuring this out and need an easier experience where you can have all the skills forever, you can use a cheat utility?

Sure, but the point is there's absolutely nothing wrong with leaving the re-spawning skill books alone...I think they very well should and focus on patching real bugs and real problems without breaking things that aren't broken.

B
stranger
stranger
B
While I'm inclined to agree (especially for lone wolf characters) it's up to them to determine what is a bug or glitch and what is an intended gameplay feature. They made the game, so they make that call.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gyson
But then that gear is otherwise worthless more often than not and to keep rotating gear is a different pain...especially when the inventory system is the mess it is, filters only do so much.
And that's why God invented backpacks. And also the ability to put backpacks on your skillbar.

Seriously, if I had to list the top three benefits of using invisibility to sneak through Luculla at level 3, they would be:
1. Unlocking Teller of Secrets hellaciously early
2. Unlocking Tenebrium skill hellaciously early
3. Picking up 3 Pouches, which combined with 2 backpacks and Evelyn's Backpack gives you one for each character for a standard "item menu" of food/potions/gearswap, a "quiver" for your ranger's special arrows, and one for common craft tools like hammer, axe, knife, mortar and pestle.

I sometimes wonder why those pouches aren't as available during the early part of the game. Maybe the expect you to craft your own backpacks or something (it's leather scraps plus rope, if you didn't know). Easier if you don't have to track down the ingredients, though. Plus, having both backpacks and pouches makes it harder to confuse the contents of each.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 24/07/14 03:30 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard