Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Make your mod, put it up for download, smack a Donate button under it.
I can guarantee you that people will donate if it's obvious a lot of time and resources went into your project. Combine that with Adfly and there you go. You can buy new sneakers in no time.

Discussing this further is pointless, thanks to an insurmountable difference in opinions. But I can guarantee you that even if Larian only had half a brain, they'd never allow mods to be sold for money and they sure wouldn't participate and earn money in/with a business like that. No self-respecting company would.

addict
addict
+1

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Pappus
You guys actually forced me to create an account just to tell you guys how incredibly lacking your reading skills are.

How hard is it? OP stated, that Larian would be the only instance that actually could decide what is sold. So if some horse armor mod came along - guess what would happen? Nothing. 50 mods created out of greed? Most likely only a couple of them would actually be sold and guess what - there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If you make a script for the community and give it up for free and someone uses it - you somehow become jealous afterwards? As already explained - either state non-commercialization or deal with it.

Or how about this? You offer a script package to modders for 5$, which they can use in their vision of creating a mod that will turn in a profit. Helping them, helping your bills. There is nothing wrong with it.

You know if modders want to do it for free - nothing in this idea is stopping them.
This idea is for those mods, that might be created when $ might flow, which we would be missing out on otherwise.

I could go on with this list, but before you post at least try to grasp what the OP is saying.

Well thanx. But these few special cases actually cant, because it would ruin their dislike about something they invented and misunderstand.
Its a cancerous internet retard loop.

I only considered cromcrom few points as a way to explain some specifics better but, as you see he is a bloody moron who just intentionally doesnt want to understand anything and just intentionally keeps spewing some kind of halfbrained insults, some laughable strawmans and attempts at kiddy ad hominems, which is his schtick on these forums since i started posting here and long before that.

He usually spends his time screeching about how Larian devs are out to cheat everyone and how they dont know how to make games and... some such nonsense.

And then he would like to make it look as if he is called a simpleton just because he disagrees with something... tsk, tsk, tsk... such fantasies. Cromcrom, In your case a simpleton would be a compliment serving as a pitty excuse but i dont feel like awarding you with that.

Gotcha... are you even able to comprehend that your directions on what i should do or dont are just laughable? I mean, do you seriously go around believing that you will just order someone over the internets, let alone me ... to do something and that it will be seriously considered?

ffs... hahaha

Also, since you think "discussing this" is pointless then just stop spamming your nonsensical declarations and orders and just go do something else. Right? Not that you were actually discussing anything from the start, instead just splurging your ignorant opinions and proclamations as if anyone will actually consider those as relevant to anything.

now,...

Originally Posted by Rhidian
The real problem with "Official Support", as I see it, is that it would add to their overhead costs/work which would take time away from doing other things.

How do you figure that? Isnt this kind of a thing actually their work anyway, considering their support for the editor and the game? Wouldnt this benefit them too? No reason why community shouldn't be included at some stages of it either.

Say Larian wanted to sell the Cow Simulator mod for money (hypothetical scenario).

smile Such a nice hypothetical example youve chosen. Bravo. That was really sly and stealthy.

Where might people go to buy it? There would have to be space made somewhere on either their site or another site which they link to. They would have to make sure the payment system is set up correctly. When things go wrong in e Cow Simulator mod, they have to take time to help with Technical Assistance. All of these issues are relevant even if it's a third party mod they're endorsing.

Steam?

Ever heard of it? Man its awesome, Its this strange company Valve, you know... they had some kind of a game or two long ago and...

Look, they actually would not need to help with technical assistance or buggs anymore then what they are doing for the editor anyway.

It would be responsibility of mod creators to fix the specific mod buggs (which would be discovered best by giving the mod for playtesting to community) and provide any assistance to any eventual players. In fact, most of these kinds of efforts would be down to the community. Not Larian studios.

You know why?

Because it is better.

And then there's the dark side/thorn of the Gaming business, Pirating.

oh, please... ffs... Non sequitur, adhoc fallacy and slippery slope all in one. Probably a few more.

If that had any relevance in reality then nobody would ever publish any game.

R
addict
addict
R
Steam isn't the end-all-be-all for digital distribution; Divinity Original Sin was released on GOG as well. Patch fixes have been going to both places.

By officially supporting a mod, Larian Studios' reputation would be affected by how well such a mod does. Especially if they go as far as providing the Steam/GOG DLC setup and streamline whatever patch processes those entail.

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Nobody claimed Steam is ... the end-all-be-all for digital distribution; - so its pretty pointless trying to argue against that.

Steam is just currently the easiest option to achieve all the things you mentioned with the least hassle.

You know that as well as i or anyone else does, so its quite pointless to pretend otherwise.

I guess GoG presumably wants to do something similar but until they set it up and make it work there is no need to talk about it.

Patch fixes have been going to both places.

errm... so?

By officially supporting a mod, Larian Studios' reputation would be affected by how well such a mod does.

In what exact way would their reputation be affected? And why specifically according to "how well the mod does"?

Do you mean financially or some other way?

Is this the spot where you go into some tirade how some mod will be so terrible (in who knows what ways) and then it would "ruin" Larian studios reputation... because nobody on this planet would consider that a mod, despite it clearly being a mod developed by community?

We are still talking about huge, seriously done whole campaigns and new stories and stuff, that Larian would have an executive and absolute power over, right?

Especially if they go as far as providing the Steam/GOG DLC setup and streamline whatever patch processes those entail.

How is that a problem?

R
addict
addict
R
Originally Posted by Hiver

We are still talking about huge, seriously done whole campaigns and new stories and stuff, that Larian would have an executive and absolute power over, right?

It would be responsibility of mod creators to fix the specific mod buggs (which would be discovered best by giving the mod for playtesting to community) and provide any assistance to any eventual players. In fact, most of these kinds of efforts would be down to the community. Not Larian studios.

Control over the distribution of a mod and/or its patches costs time/effort. Time/effort for companies costs money. If the money made from supporting/selling a well done campaign mod made by a third party is worth it for Larian, then not much else needs to be said about that.

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Exactly.

And Steam lowers all such costs the most, currently. And partially enforces anti-piracy measures too.
Larian has to work with Steam devs to setup up the usual modds distribution anyway - and this will be just an extension of it.

Which, taken altogether, is why i suggested my idea about it all as it is in the Op and other subsequent posts.

T
stranger
stranger
T
TF2 and DotA2 both monetarily compensate content creators for their time and effort, and as a result get a constant stream of high quality submissions. Players that are worth caring about from a business perspective are more than willing to pay a fair price for new content, if a modder or team of modders want to produce this content and charge for it the more power to them.

However, Larian as a company has to provide appropriate support for this, including profit share and methods of resolution for the issues that will certainly arise. If Larian doesn't want to do that, which is understandable because despite it most likely being profitable for them and an encouragement to modding it's a lot of backend work and things that are pulling them away from their core business, then there isn't much choice but to rely on a donation system.

It's nice to see modders getting compensated for their time and effort, and implementing a system that simplifies the process would be great for spurring on larger, more interesting mods which are what people would realistically be likely to spend money on.

Every single extensive modding community I've seen runs into terrible drama issues, a good deal of it stemming from modders getting burned out after spending a ridiculous amount of time creating content for no compensation and having users become toxic. Modders particularly dislike having their content used in other mods without credit, because credit and the warm fuzzy feeling of accolades is the only thing they usually get for their work. This sort of situation where people feel highly possessive of their work, have no means to profit off of it, and have to deal with a super unpleasant userbase makes it a wonder anybody bothers publicly releasing mods at all. It's no surprise a lot of modders eventually have a meltdown and remove all their content from sites, this sort of stuff could drive anybody crazy.

Just the idea of people being compensated for their time and wanting to know if Larian would provide the means for it seems to absurdly upset some people here, which is an early indicator of the same unpleasant elements you'll find in most modding scenes. The tools aren't even in a state to realistically produce an entirely new scenario, but you're somehow killing the community by asking Larian's stance on it.

It's Larian's engine, their tools, their decision on what's acceptable for created content using them. They should definitely have a stance sooner rather than later though so people can decide if the environment is worth their time.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Spot on with cromcrom, I blocked the twat yesterday... His logic is that if you ever learnt anything from a free source such a forum post or YouTube video you should no longer charge for your services because someone gave you something for free.

Complete lunatic with garbage logic.

Gotcha... are you even able to comprehend that your directions on what i should do or dont are just laughable? I mean, do you seriously go around believing that you will just order someone over the internets, let alone me ... to do something and that it will be seriously considered?

Point out to me where I am telling you what to do? What would I care if you continue this crusade?
I just said that it's pointless to discuss this further, both due to people's unchangeable opinions and Larian's lack of feedback. I did not tell you to stop posting here, did I? Would be quite silly if I did, wouldn't it? I am not the one with the ego here, believe it or not.

Calling people moronic, simple and ignorant for no apparent reason?
Opinions are like arseholes. All people have them and they all stink. People will have opinions, even when you don't ask for their opinions. This goes double on forums. It's a much better idea to learn to live with that fact than to start calling people names for no reason. Really immature.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Gotcha!

Point out to me where I am telling you what to do? What would I care if you continue this crusade?
I just said that it's pointless to discuss this further, both due to people's unchangeable opinions and Larian's lack of feedback. I did not tell you to stop posting here, did I? Would be quite silly if I did, wouldn't it? I am not the one with the ego here, believe it or not.

Calling people moronic, simple and ignorant for no apparent reason?
Opinions are like arseholes. All people have them and they all stink. People will have opinions, even when you don't ask for their opinions. This goes double on forums. It's a much better idea to learn to live with that fact than to start calling people names for no reason. Really immature.

Yeah but in the real world if someone was trying to sell something that you thought was wrong I don't think you would open your gob, for example i see fake DVD sellers and drug dealers yet I don't see the general public go up to them and express their shitty negative opinions, I guess it because the nerds know that's how jaws get broken but everyone on the internet has Balls of steel!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by brainiac
I only considered cromcrom few points as a way to explain some specifics better but, as you see he is a bloody moron who just intentionally doesnt want to understand anything and just intentionally keeps spewing some kind of halfbrained insults, some laughable strawmans and attempts at kiddy ad hominems, which is his schtick on these forums since i started posting here and long before that.

I can't wait to see what your little society(brainiac, blazed, and obviously theodore) is going to come up with, beside insults and arrogant wall of texts.
Actually, I don't really give a shit about you sellers. I have been giving, sharing mods, advices, codes, for a long time, even lost money keeping servers running so people could play on my NWN2 PW, and will keep doing so, and try to do the same thing for DOS.
And if I see peole selling mods, I will stop, because this is not my conception of a modding community. Simple as that. Not a big deal, really.
Originally Posted by 3D artist
I guess it because the nerds know that's how jaws get broken but everyone on the internet has Balls of steel!

lol...

Last edited by Cromcrom; 24/07/14 07:03 PM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Originally Posted by blazed
Yeah but in the real world if someone was trying to sell something that you thought was wrong I don't think you would open your gob...

I've stood up to people thrice my size, because of their attitude towards others and/or me. Sure, some day I might be on the end of a huge fist, but so far I'm doing great. And even if I get a hit, I'm made of flesh and bones, not wet paper. I'll get over it.
Anyway, my point being: Someone who visits forums isn't automatically a coward; you shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know. It can bite you in the arse one day.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Yeah but in the real world if someone was trying to sell something that you thought was wrong I don't think you would open your gob...

I've stood up to people thrice my size, because of their attitude towards others and/or me. Sure, some day I might be on the end of a huge fist, but so far I'm doing great. And even if I get a hit, I'm made of flesh and bones, not wet paper. I'll get over it.
Anyway, my point being: Someone who visits forums isn't automatically a coward; you shouldn't make assumptions about people you don't know. It can bite you in the arse one day.

Get a cam or recorder record yourself and say you are Gotcha! from the forums, go around your local area where there is trouble and approach someone doing something dodgy and express your opinion about what they are doing is wrong etc.

Post it on youtube and send me a link.

Words are cheap mate, no need for the BS. With those claims you have everything to prove, taking on people thrice your size!

addict
addict
Originally Posted by 3D artist
His logic is that if you ever learnt anything from a free source such a forum post or YouTube video you should no longer charge for your services because someone gave you something for free.

Actually, what I said is that in YOUR world, with YOUR logic, you would have paid for stuff you mention and on the other hand got free from nice sharing people. But that was stinging, so you prefer to call it "garbage logic" and insult me. Talk about courage hehe

Last edited by Cromcrom; 24/07/14 07:21 PM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Get a cam or recorder record yourself and say you are Gotcha! from the forums, go around your local area where there is trouble and approach someone doing something dodgy and express your opinion about what they are doing is wrong etc.

Words are cheap mate, no need for the BS. With those claims you have everything to prove, taking on people thrice your size!

Firstly, you act it like it's an enormous achievement standing up to someone who's bigger than you. Really, it's not. When you know you're in the right, you just go for it.
Don't be a fool. No one needs to proof anything to you and no one is going to create videos for you. Get yourself a reality check and grow up.

Sidenote: I am dropping this subject, because it's completely off-topic.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B

Firstly, you act it like it's an enormous achievement standing up to someone who's bigger than you. Really, it's not. When you know you're in the right, you just go for it.
Don't be a fool. No one needs to proof anything to you and no one is going to create videos for you. Get yourself a reality check and grow up.

Sidenote: I am dropping this subject, because it's completely off-topic.

can talk the talk but can't walk the walk, Predictable and just as I thought, Calling BS, until proof, but walk away like you would do in real life. You can't stand up to jack s--t.

Heres the thing I'm 6.2 feet and 100kg with 2 years boxing training, but no I don't start fights, and no I don't approach people doing wrong things because from experience I know its not worth it. (I just call the police if required)

but I don't really do it online either 95% my posts on threads are either My threads and responses to my quotes.

I don't have an urge to go onto someone else's thread and start saying negative things about them because they asked a question I didn't like.

Last edited by blazed; 24/07/14 08:13 PM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Hiver I'm sorry for diverting your thread, I will stop now.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Karate Kid
Heres the thing I'm 6.2 feet and 100kg with 2 years boxing training,

Thou shallst be enceforth known as: Karate Kid.
I can hardly believe you just wrote something that stupid about yourself.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
journeyman
journeyman
Wish I didn't subscribed to this thread.
Hiver completely missed the irony in my last post. Talk about being a simpleton?
I haven't seen some solid, well thought-out arguments coming from the 'pro' side in this thread.
I'm not going to spend energy in trying to educate these fools.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard