Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#526860 24/07/14 08:42 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello, I've just realised the Reveal Scroll is no longer in my inventory for some reason. Evelyn's house is completely looted, I definitely picked it up, but the scroll is nowhere to be seen.

Checked an old save from Day 3 (I'm on Day 4 atm) and the item is in my inventory, so I definitely DID pick it up.

I've checked most of the vendors in town and they don't appear to have it in their stock, not that I'd be stupid enough to sell the damn thing anyway...

Am I stuck?

No offence but please don't bother writing stuff like 'restart your character' because I am not doing that. I'll probably just uninstall and not bother playing it at all rather than do that.

Update: ok I think I realise what I have done. When you remove an item from your hotbar, your character physically drops the item on the floor. That's what's happened, I'm sure of it.

So now I must ask: do items that are dropped ever 'time out' or do they stay permanently?

Last edited by Yosharian; 24/07/14 08:52 PM.

Hi, I'm Bob Henchman and a Knight by trade. I have this crappy armor, this lousy sword and I know how to apply a bandaid. No, I don't know how to charge or how to inspire or how to*SMACKSMACKSMACKSMACKDIEBOBIHATEYOU*
-Damar Stiehl
veteran
veteran
Items dropped on the floor remain there. So, if you dropped that scroll somewhere in the world it will still be laying there. Hold alt while you retrace your setps, I suppose.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
That's what I'm trying to do now. Stupid, badly designed UI!

Hi, I'm Bob Henchman and a Knight by trade. I have this crappy armor, this lousy sword and I know how to apply a bandaid. No, I don't know how to charge or how to inspire or how to*SMACKSMACKSMACKSMACKDIEBOBIHATEYOU*
-Damar Stiehl
addict
addict
Dropped items stay on the ground permanently. Walk around where you think you might have dropped it while holding ALT and see if you can find it. High perception will be very helpful.

You aren't stuck though, you can still finish the game without entering that hideout.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I think they are permanent. A right pain trying to find it again, stuff you place in containers remains, and dead bodies from previous battles you have fought also remain, so I don't see why it should not still be there.
I am surprised by your statement of just giving up if you might have to restart, I have had 2 starts to get used to characters and how they work in combat and have a Co-op to lvl 4 (now stopped) a co-op game to lvl 5 and a solo game to lvl 2, its too much fun to just give up this early in the game.

Also each time you start again you know whats coming and can blitz the conversations and get down to looting and killing to get back to where you where pretty damn quickly smile

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Luckily my main character has a high perception

update: been searching for nearly an hour, can't find it

I can't believe there isnt a console command of some sort to generate the item. I mean this is shit that the Infinity Engine had decades ago.

SICK OF HOLDING DOWN THIS ALT BUTTON WHAT THE HELL

2nd update: f- this, the item is gone. I've been everywhere across the damn map twice and not found it. What a great UI design to have items get thrown on the floor, well played devs.

Last edited by Yosharian; 24/07/14 09:40 PM.

-Damar Stiehl
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
You can generate the item if you know the item ID.
Generally you do not know the item ID without having the item in your inventory.
And the game it too new for there to be a giant list of every item ID.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I can get the item in my inventory by loading a previous save.

Please explain how to generate an item.

Is there a way to use multiplayer shenanigans to get the item from one save to another?

Last edited by Yosharian; 24/07/14 10:06 PM.

-Damar Stiehl
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by Yosharian
I can get the item in my inventory by loading a previous save.
Please explain how to generate an item.
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505777 You can add items, remove items, change item values, add skills (even skills that are HARD to get), add talents, remove talents, etc.

A
A
Originally Posted by Yosharian
Luckily my main character has a high perception

update: been searching for nearly an hour, can't find it

I can't believe there isnt a console command of some sort to generate the item. I mean this is shit that the Infinity Engine had decades ago.

SICK OF HOLDING DOWN THIS ALT BUTTON WHAT THE HELL

2nd update: f- this, the item is gone. I've been everywhere across the damn map twice and not found it. What a great UI design to have items get thrown on the floor, well played devs.

What do you need this scroll for? Because I seem to never had it in the first place and could continue my game just fine without it.

old hand
old hand
The best solution would be if you uninstalled the game and went away.

veteran
veteran
ouch

old hand
old hand
What? He said he wants to do that himself, him being a player that doesnt play games or RPGs twice, let alone more times.

He may just as well do it.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Edit: I am dumb

Originally Posted by Hiver
The best solution would be if you uninstalled the game and went away.

No need to be a cunt, dude. It kind of sucks when your playthrough essentially gets axed halfway through.

Last edited by dirigible; 25/07/14 02:08 AM.
old hand
old hand
There is no actual such intent in my reply, and you just inventing it and implying it doesnt make you anything less then an actual cunt.

He is not halfway through but barely in the beginning, playing a game that is made for replays yet he himself said, rather emphatically and dramatically, that he would rather deinstall then restart and even added some super smart "great work devs!" comments - because he dropped a spell himself because he wasnt paying attention.

Even if he was half way through it wouldnt really matter. Sure it sucks, but you suck it up and relaod earlier save or start the game over. Thats what RPGs are for anyway.

Were, and now are again.

He wants to stop playing instead? Then he should.

Or you and gyson can go and croon over him because thats what really should be done for cases such as that.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
No offense, man, but even if you weren't trying to be a cunt, you kind of were. Telling someone to uninstall a game and go away isn't what I would call constructive. It doesn't matter if you don't like the way he plays RPGs, he's got as much of a right as you to get his money's worth from this game.

Hey may well not have dropped the scroll. If you bother googling the problem, there are several bug reports of people losing items from their inventory / having them disappear.

Most rpgs flag certain items 'plot important' meaning they can't be destroyed, sold, or dropped. I can remember this being a standard even before Baldur's Gate 1. It's essentially a genre standard. I consider the fact that you are able to permanently lose plot-important items to be a bug.

Last edited by dirigible; 25/07/14 02:08 AM.
old hand
old hand
Hello Yosharian,

Have you checked to see if you sold it to an NPC? All items you sell to NPCs remain in their inventories forever. Also to generate "lost items" I don't think any of those commands are publicly available. There are no ways to generate lost items in older Divinity games with the exception of the Divinity 2 the Developer edition.

Also ignore Hiver's purely negative comments, he is our resident 'unemployed' troll. The Troll King fired him since he can't count his money from his TROLL TOLL. People were giving him 15 gold instead of 150 to cross his bridge...rather embarrassing isn't it?

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
A
A
There is no actual such intent in my reply, and you just inventing it and implying it doesnt make you anything less then an actual cunt.

He is not halfway through but barely in the beginning, playing a game that is made for replays yet he himself said, rather emphatically and dramatically, that he would rather deinstall then restart and even added some super smart "great work devs!" comments - because he dropped a spell himself because he wasnt paying attention.

Even if he was half way through it wouldnt really matter. Sure it sucks, but you suck it up and relaod earlier save or start the game over. Thats what RPGs are for anyway.

Were, and now are again.

He wants to stop playing instead? Then he should.

Or you and gyson can go and croon over him because thats what really should be done for cases such as that.

I am asking again: Why he even need that scroll? Evelyn seems not to be central to progress the game in any way.
In my game she simply vanished and will not return because Jack killed her on his own. Her amulett is not essential either, I have already 4 of those from other followers of the conduit anyway.

Originally Posted by dirigible

Most rpgs flag certain items 'plot important' meaning they can't be destroyed, sold, or dropped. I can remember this being a standard even before Baldur's Gate 1. It's essentially a genre standard. I consider the fact that you are able to permanently lose plot-important items to be a bug.

Question is: Is this even main-plot relevant? I donï½´t see how this blocks progress.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 25/07/14 03:33 AM.
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
Question is: Is this even main-plot relevant? I donï½´t see how this blocks progress.

that was more in response to what I posted (and then removed in an edit).
Even so, items which exist only to be used in quests generally have that tag I was talking about.

In fact, i wish there was a 'quest item' ivnentory tab. I hate it when quest important shit gets put into the 'crafting' tab.

veteran
veteran
He is not halfway through but barely in the beginning..

Well in all honesty that is a big part of the problem: the beginning. The murder investigation, while initially interesting, gets to be a bit of a drag once you know "who done it" on subsequent play-throughs, and the idea of going through it all again to get back to the better parts of the game doesn't really excite some people.

There's just a lot of talking to be done in the town, and not many people are going to enjoy reading it all again second, third, or forth time. And just clicking through it as quickly as possible can be just as monotonous.

The "slow start" is a frequent complaint for new players and it makes the prospect of restarting very unappealing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard