Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Cromcrom, I see you are always trying to reply under my posts but all I see is *** You are ignoring this user ***, just saying you should maybe stop lol....

addict
addict
Not because you can't read my posts, mean others can't.
I ignore nobody, because I have the "guts" to see what they have to say, even if I utterly disagree, and sometimes get insulted by people like you or brainiac. I am all for sharing, be it mods, opinions or blows. Refusing to debate is not a quality, in my view.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 24/07/14 08:50 PM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
P
stranger
stranger
P
You guys are right, that would increase the costs for larian, that is what the pricetag is for in the first place!?

You know to cover (+bonus) these costs...

Next on the agenda would be how larians reputation is linked to the mod, which is partially true, but it sounds so negative... You wouldn't forget the possibility, that the mod is great and people are happily paying 5$ to buy it? That is a link too, but we shall call it opportunity.

Oh and considering my style. There is a distinct difference. I came into this thread searching a discussion, what I found wasted my time debating stuff, that OP clearly made unlikely or outright impossible. So yeah, thanks for wasting my time.

Originally Posted by blazed
can talk the talk but can't walk the walk, Predictable and just as I thought, Calling BS, until proof, but walk away like you would do in real life. You can't stand up to jack s--t.

Heres the thing I'm 6.2 feet and 100kg with 2 years boxing training, but no I don't start fights, and no I don't approach people doing wrong things because from experience I know its not worth it. (I just call the police if required)

but I don't really do it online either 95% my posts on threads are either My threads and responses to my quotes.

I don't have an urge to go onto someone else's thread and start saying negative things about them because they asked a question I didn't like.

Sure, don't believe anyone would stand up to injustice being done, but expect others to believe you're some tough guy boxer.
This whole post made me laugh. Time to grow up. You aren't fooling anyone with your obvious immature behaviour projected through your insulting troll posts.

Anyway, this is pointless. I wish Hiver and blazed all the best during their trolling excursions. up
Seeing how there's not a moderator around to do something about it, I guess you have carte blanche to behave like a dick. Good luck with that. welcome

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Gotcha!
Originally Posted by blazed
can talk the talk but can't walk the walk, Predictable and just as I thought, Calling BS, until proof, but walk away like you would do in real life. You can't stand up to jack s--t.

Heres the thing I'm 6.2 feet and 100kg with 2 years boxing training, but no I don't start fights, and no I don't approach people doing wrong things because from experience I know its not worth it. (I just call the police if required)

but I don't really do it online either 95% my posts on threads are either My threads and responses to my quotes.

I don't have an urge to go onto someone else's thread and start saying negative things about them because they asked a question I didn't like.

Sure, don't believe anyone would stand up to injustice being done, but expect others to believe you're some tough guy boxer.
This whole post made me laugh. Time to grow up. You aren't fooling anyone with your obvious immature behaviour projected through your insulting troll posts.

Anyway, this is pointless. I wish Hiver and blazed all the best during their trolling excursions. up
Seeing how there's not a moderator around to do something about it, I guess you have carte blanche to behave like a dick. Good luck with that. welcome

Holy shit I'm a liar now for saying I have boxing experience under my belt hahaha...

I didn't say I'm a tough guy I actually said I avoid fights at all costs... what on earth are you talking about? What injustice are you talking about? Yeah if I see a group of men beating the shit out of some poor soul, theres no way I'm getting involved, I'm going to walk away and call the cops ASAP, which is what's actually recommended by the goverment/cops anyway.

When I get into a flight or fight situation I flight until there is no place to run and fight. It was afterall the first lessons in my taekwondo lessons when I was a kid... but yeah thats a lie too.

But yeah... bye!

Last edited by blazed; 24/07/14 11:21 PM.
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Theodore
TF2 and DotA2 both monetarily compensate content creators for their time and effort, and as a result get a constant stream of high quality submissions. Players that are worth caring about from a business perspective are more than willing to pay a fair price for new content, if a modder or team of modders want to produce this content and charge for it the more power to them.

However, Larian as a company has to provide appropriate support for this, including profit share and methods of resolution for the issues that will certainly arise. If Larian doesn't want to do that, which is understandable because despite it most likely being profitable for them and an encouragement to modding it's a lot of backend work and things that are pulling them away from their core business, then there isn't much choice but to rely on a donation system.

It's nice to see modders getting compensated for their time and effort, and implementing a system that simplifies the process would be great for spurring on larger, more interesting mods which are what people would realistically be likely to spend money on.

Every single extensive modding community I've seen runs into terrible drama issues, a good deal of it stemming from modders getting burned out after spending a ridiculous amount of time creating content for no compensation and having users become toxic. Modders particularly dislike having their content used in other mods without credit, because credit and the warm fuzzy feeling of accolades is the only thing they usually get for their work. This sort of situation where people feel highly possessive of their work, have no means to profit off of it, and have to deal with a super unpleasant userbase makes it a wonder anybody bothers publicly releasing mods at all. It's no surprise a lot of modders eventually have a meltdown and remove all their content from sites, this sort of stuff could drive anybody crazy.

Just the idea of people being compensated for their time and wanting to know if Larian would provide the means for it seems to absurdly upset some people here, which is an early indicator of the same unpleasant elements you'll find in most modding scenes. The tools aren't even in a state to realistically produce an entirely new scenario, but you're somehow killing the community by asking Larian's stance on it.

It's Larian's engine, their tools, their decision on what's acceptable for created content using them. They should definitely have a stance sooner rather than later though so people can decide if the environment is worth their time.

Nicely spoken and explained. All true.

Would be nice to get some feedback on this from the devs as soon as possible.

I have to be honest, I get paid far more per hour than what I would earn doing mods and investing time in paid-for-content. There is also the responsibility with free-mods is that if I really grow tired of it, I would happily leave my work in the hands of the community, to take and use as they wish. With paid-content, I would be obligation in doing the work even though the benefits of doing such would not be worth it.

TF and Dota are rather bad examples as they are pretty much 'horse-armour' mods. Selling recoloured skins for money, or some random hat. They are also exceptions to the rule because they are cult purchases.

As much as I enjoyed Divinity: Original Sin, it is no where in the same league in terms of popularity and activity as DotA or TF, and it appeals to an audience which is less likely to make impulse buys.

I do modding simply because I am interested in doing it and the reward for doing it is the satisfaction received from being able to do something with your own hands that you are proud of, and seeing others enjoy what you did.

Maybe I am simply too altruistic or not selfish enough to consider selling work. After all, companies do sell 'additional unit skins' and 'music pack' dlc for a couple of dollars, so why couldn't a talented individual simply do the same as them?

There are benefits for and against, but seeing statements from people suggesting: "I would mod with my elite 3D art skills but I want $5 for the model, lol freecontent n00bs gtfo" is really appalling.

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Nobody wants to stop you from doing whatever you want.
Wnat to make some free mods?

Well just do so.

Want to make something bigger, more serious that could maybe get accepted for some kind of actual sale - but then you want to give up halfway through and just leave it all to the community?

Just do so.

Who ever said that anyone would force you to do something different?

You would not be in any kind of "paying league" just because you would declare that you are making a big mod. Didnt you read what i have been repeating over and over?

Is it just easier to not read and invent whatever you fancy?

I repeatedly stated that what im suggesting is about whole new campaigns and such similar big conversions and the like, not any kind of hats, skins or other various smaller mods.

I am repeating that constantly in this thread so... what exactly is the point of bringing that up - again?

There are benefits for and against, but seeing statements from people suggesting: "I would mod with my elite 3D art skills but I want $5 for the model, lol freecontent n00bs gtfo" is really appalling.

Who exactly had said that? And where?

I havent seen it in this thread or the other one so... maybe you could point me to it.

Support
Support
Originally Posted by Cromcrom
If Larian said "Want to sell your mods on our marketplace? No problem, we take 10% of the sales and you get the rest" I can GUARANTEE YOU the result would be stunning and high quality mods.

And I guarantee you there would be no modding "community", only modding studios.

If anyone could guarantee anything, Larian would already have a policy in place regarding commercialization of mods. There are no guarantees, and there are no absolute facts in this regard. If you want to back up your opinions with examples of other games, etc, then do so.

Given the complaints about this topic, there may be a few deletions as I read through the rest of it...

Well that was kind of pointless. For those who complained:
- Some of posts did go off topic, but pretty much everything worth saying on topic was said before then, and the topic isn't completely derailed. It may or may not return to actual debate on the topic.
- The juvenile insults and condescending attitudes in some posts did not rise to a level requiring moderation.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Hiver
Nobody wants to stop you from doing whatever you want.

Who exactly had said that? And where?

I havent seen it in this thread or the other one so... maybe you could point me to it.

I think he's talking about the time I said charging people something like $5 for a whole new campaign, *sigh* I'm really bored of this now, if trolls are just going to change my wording and make up lies...

The quicker Larian makes some statement on the future use of their Divinity Engine the quicker I can leave this forum, or the quicker I can laugh at these people and take my Divinity Modding more seriously.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I dont care which any side anyone comes down on this i myself find the idea of paying upfront for mods distasteful asking for optional donations is one thing but you have many shifty people who make a donation a requirement for any and all content, also ill point out all legal precedence i can think of in regards to this issue Bethesda, Maxis, Valve, EA, Blizzard has pretty much set it in stone that you "DO NOT" allow people to charge for fan made mods end of story. If Larian wants to break with tradition and face the legal headaches tied to this issue it is up to them even games that once were mods had to then buy a license to make their games and the mods that spurred the creation of that game still exists Free of charge its just the cleanest most legal way to do it so if you feel its somehow morally or ethically fine that's your own business legally its been established as bad practice thank you.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Hickups
I dont care which any side anyone comes down on this i myself find the idea of paying upfront for mods distasteful asking for optional donations is one thing but you have many shifty people who make a donation a requirement for any and all content, also ill point out all legal precedence i can think of in regards to this issue Bethesda, Maxis, Valve, EA, Blizzard has pretty much set it in stone that you "DO NOT" allow people to charge for fan made mods end of story. If Larian wants to break with tradition and face the legal headaches tied to this issue it is up to them even games that once were mods had to then buy a license to make their games and the mods that spurred the creation of that game still exists Free of charge its just the cleanest most legal way to do it so if you feel its somehow morally or ethically fine that's your own business legally its been established as bad practice thank you.

You know they could just take the whole engine, rename it, change it up a little, maybe add some documentation to it, remove some art that identifies it as divinity keeping more of the landscape and vague props. Then release it as a Standalone Engine that may not even Require Divinity Original: Sin.

It will basically be another Game Engine in the market to compete with other engines just much more tailor to RPG games with turn base combat etc.

Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
No Hickups, thank you. For not reading and for just doing your part while declaring you dont care which any side anyone comes down on this.

We didnt have the idea of "paying upfront for mods" yet. I have to say its quite a spectacular notion.

btw, what some other companies decided in the past is not a legal precedence but their own personal take on the situation and im sure if you would look those companies over a bit better you would find many interesting things regarding mods.

Or maybe realize Larian studios does not have to behave like some other companies. And that times are changing, lately.

You may also take a look at Epic and the new Unreal Tournament.

-

Blazed, could i ask you not to continue with those exchanges? Lets try to stick to something more useful here?

H
stranger
stranger
H
As i pointed out in my post if larian wants to break with the already established notion that is entirely up to them you may have skipped over me already saying that.

Thus far all companies have upheld this as a bad practice i really don't care the arguments for or against i know which side of the fence im on and every-time this has been brought up it has been smacked down by devs.

as for the argument devs put forward it is a legal nightmare for them and they all avoid it some have specialized modding rules such as allowing back port form older games but not allowing outside content etc but but as far as it goes in terms of charging for them its always been the same response NO!!! NO!!! NO!! NO!!.

It comes up in every modding community some one sees a easy to use modding tool that essentially would allow you to manufacture a game overnight (obviously this is a exaggeration for effect i realize a good mod would not be done this quickly) and seeing this they want to make money off it i understand the path of least resistance motivation behind it but i myself have never liked it and for whatever their motivations developers have never liked it either and it seems from previous posts Larian has sort of pointed out they dont like this practice either thank god.

The route taken by epic is not new it has been done in Second life as-well and also highly unpopular i might add and will most likely be unpopular in UT. and that is still speculation the game isnt even near finished yet the times are not changing this is old rehashed attempts of a bad business model.

EDIT: also id like to point out something that the content for the new unreal tournament game will be created using the UT ENGINE 4 that costs a subscription fee so you will still be paying to use the engine.

Last edited by Hickups; 25/07/14 03:11 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze
If Larian said "Want to sell your mods on our marketplace? No problem, we take 10% of the sales and you get the rest" I can GUARANTEE YOU the result would be stunning and high quality mods.

And I guarantee you there would be no modding "community", only modding studios.

If anyone could guarantee anything, Larian would already have a policy in place regarding commercialization of mods. There are no guarantees, and there are no absolute facts in this regard. If you want to back up your opinions with examples of other games, etc, then do so.

Given the complaints about this topic, there may be a few deletions as I read through the rest of it...

Well that was kind of pointless. For those who complained:
- Some of posts did go off topic, but pretty much everything worth saying on topic was said before then, and the topic isn't completely derailed. It may or may not return to actual debate on the topic.
- The juvenile insults and condescending attitudes in some posts did not rise to a level requiring moderation.

Yes, "bloody moron", "twat", "Complete lunatic with garbage logic", you are right, thank you.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 25/07/14 09:33 AM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You started it cromcrom, as usual.

Dont cry about it now. If you want people to reply to you in a normal way learn to address others in a non insulting ways and without various invented strawmans and other assorted fallacies.

Going a bit back;

Let's say I work for hours, and come up we a pretty nice script, I share for free.
You take it and use it in the mod you sell.
Wtf ?
Are you gonna pay me for my generously shared hard work ? Are you the only one to take advantage of it? Why would I share anything if you make money out of it and I am the fool ?

Theoretically speaking: I would not pay you anything for that script you shared for free. And i will explain why exactly. What i would do is give you credit for it and i would share freely all my scripts and other tricks i discovered or made - for you to use as you want, provided you give me credit for them.

Now, if you can use any of those to create and construct a big quality campaign with all content that requires and then apply for Larian judgement on whether it could be sold - pass it - and then have players happy with it and deemed worthy of a few euros based on its internal quality - then you wouldnt need to pay me anything either.

Because sharing is caring.

And then we would be equalized.

A script, a hack, a trick or whatever any modder comes up with - is just a tool.
You dont sell those tools, because by themselves they are almost worthless in this sense.

You would sell your whole new campaign. Its story, gameplay, characters, dialogues, environments and quests - as a whole.

Because thats the only thing you actually created, the only thing that is actually yours.

The rest belongs to Larian studios.

So, this might be the death of sharing.
Just take Mount and blade.
Only the most prestigious mods got sold. EVERYTHING else is free, the community being very dedicated about that. Result is a very old game that still has masses of followers, because of the great spirit and mods behind them.

errm... ffs... sigh...

welcome

NWN2 toolset was free, mods were free, the community is still strong behind it.

Oh yes, NWN2 whole new games or campaigns. We are practically drowning in them and there are people still playing that, sure. All three of them. Strong. Right - e - o.

Smash hit that NWN2 was. Or should i say slam dunk.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by brainiac
errm... ffs... sigh...

Yes ? Something you don't understand ?

Dont cry about it now. If you want people to reply to you in a normal way learn to address others in a non insulting ways and without various invented strawmans and other assorted fallacies.

Coming from you... Nice "humor" you've got here. But makes me laugh, tx.

I would not pay you anything for that script you shared for free. And i will explain why exactly. What i would do is give you credit for it and i would share freely all my scripts and other tricks i discovered or made - for you to use as you want, provided you give me credit for them.
I agree, this is what a modding community is about.

Because sharing is caring.
Tell me, what have you shared so far, beside insults and arrogant wall of texts ? Easy words. Can't wait to see the major mods you have created and shared. I might get a nice surprise, tho hehe Bring the links.
I share to equally caring and sharing community. Selling is not about sharing and caring, it's about dealing.

All theory. Cant wait to see how all this would turn out. Not talking about DLCs or Stand alone campaigns, of course, but about selling mods.

Last edited by Cromcrom; 25/07/14 09:46 AM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Anyway, lets see if i can make a list to present how this would go - theoretically.

1. Larian studios make official rules about it.

2. Only whole new campaigns, standalones or total conversions would be considered for this kind of process.

Of course, Larian devs can and should specify this further, in specific details and requirements.

- Some of these mods can be sold as standalones, some as parts of a big community packs with many mods inside. Whatever would work best.

3. Only the best of the best would actually get accepted, by Larian devs, with possible partial addition of community voting.

- Devs have the final say regardless of community voting.

4. The process goes something like this:

A modder or modding team starts working on their big mod.

- When they have something playable they start releasing it to the community for testing and comments, bug and other quality assurance, maybe as sort of beta versions of their final creation.

- When they are ready and decide to go for it, they submit the mod to Larian devs for judgement.

- Larian takes in account community comments about it and then decides.

5. Any tools, scripts, hacks, tricks, or whatever else the mod contains must be shared freely.

- If the mod is non commercial this falls under usual personal rules of behavior.

- If the mod gets accepted and judged worthy by Larian studios, sharing all such tools, tricks and info becomes mandatory. Or else.

All your scripts, hacks, tools and info belongs to Larian studios.

6. The only thing that is truly yours is the content you created for such a mod. Its story, gameplay, setting, lore, characters and their dialogues - and ultimately how it plays - the gestalt of the whole.

Everything else is just you tinkering with Larian property and their creation. Which they let you to do, being nice guys as they are.

7. Since you are creating this creation of yours on their engine, the content you create, the gestalt of your game/mod is only theoretically "yours".

Its just a nice thing to say. Not anything actually legally relevant.

Larian studios is sharing their engine editor with you - therefore you will share back all you make and create with it.

Any eventual money too. Under rules and terms decided by Larian studios.

8. Dont like it? Dont apply for it.

Want to make such a mod and share it freely? Do so.

addict
addict
OMG lol brainiac:
"If a modding team makes an amazing mod, maybe Larian would consider endorsing it, and selling it, and sharing the profit with the modders..."

You simpleton really need to state the stupidly obvious...

I just can't believe it...

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Hiver Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard