Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Hiver
he himself said, rather emphatically and dramatically, that he would rather deinstall then restart

Saying something when you are frustrated by a problem, self inflicted or not, is a little different than just replying to say 'uninstall and go way', though.

he dropped a spell himself because he wasnt paying attention.

The skillbar is (currently) inconsistent, though. You can drag and drop spells off the skillbar and it merely removes the shortcut, which can be re-added. It wouldn't be unrealistic to expect the same thing for scrolls, and if there are multiple windows open or you are in a cluttered area, it is possible to miss the change in cursor or the actual item being dropped.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Sorry I was feeling a bit grumpy yesterday guys!

Originally Posted by Incendax
Originally Posted by Yosharian
I can get the item in my inventory by loading a previous save.
Please explain how to generate an item.
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505777 You can add items, remove items, change item values, add skills (even skills that are HARD to get), add talents, remove talents, etc.

Excellent, will try this out, thanks!

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
What do you need this scroll for? Because I seem to never had it in the first place and could continue my game just fine without it.

The game says I need it to gain access to Evelyn's lair?

Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Hello Yosharian,

Have you checked to see if you sold it to an NPC? All items you sell to NPCs remain in their inventories forever. Also to generate "lost items" I don't think any of those commands are publicly available. There are no ways to generate lost items in older Divinity games with the exception of the Divinity 2 the Developer edition.

Also ignore Hiver's purely negative comments, he is our resident 'unemployed' troll. The Troll King fired him since he can't count his money from his TROLL TOLL. People were giving him 15 gold instead of 150 to cross his bridge...rather embarrassing isn't it?

I checked quite a few NPCs and I couldn't see it. The problem is tenfold here - I've used practically every vendor I can offloading paintings etc, I also never sold any scrolls at all so aside from misclicking I don't see how it's possible that I sold the scroll.

Lastly I specifically remember removing the Reveal Spell from my hotbar after trying fruitlessly to use it in various places around town, such as the Mortician's Workshop etc.

I learned later, or maybe around the same time (can't remember exactly) that when you do that, your character throws the item on the floor (WHY OH WHY!). So it's almost 100% certain that I've thrown it on the floor without realising and gone on my merry way.

There is no actual such intent in my reply, and you just inventing it and implying it doesnt make you anything less then an actual cunt.

He is not halfway through but barely in the beginning, playing a game that is made for replays yet he himself said, rather emphatically and dramatically, that he would rather deinstall then restart and even added some super smart "great work devs!" comments - because he dropped a spell himself because he wasnt paying attention.

Even if he was half way through it wouldnt really matter. Sure it sucks, but you suck it up and relaod earlier save or start the game over. Thats what RPGs are for anyway.

Were, and now are again.

He wants to stop playing instead? Then he should.

Or you and gyson can go and croon over him because thats what really should be done for cases such as that.

Wow. Ok. A few things to address here:

1) 'At the beginning' - I'm about 20 hours in

2) 'Playing a game that's meant for replays' - no it's not

3) 'he dropped a spell himself' - the UI dropped the spell, I only removed it from my hotbar

4) 'wasn't paying attention' - I don't go around holding the ALT button everywhere I go, that's not 'not paying attention', that's a design flaw in the game

5) 'that's what RPGs are for' - some, yes. I just finished my 5th playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2, I've completed 3 playthroughs of Fallout: New Vegas, 2 of Fallout 3, I've completed FF7 5 times, the entire Half-Life series three times, Deus Ex at least 3 times, Skyrim three times, KotOR 1 at least 4 times, KotOR 2 twice, countless playthroughs of Diablo 2, completed FEAR twice, Homeworld twice, Jedi Knight twice, Neverwinter Nights 2 three times, Thief 1 at least twice, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines twice, and finally I've completed Warzone 2100 three times (I fuckin love that game!).

I won't be playing this game again - there's no reason to. There are no paths to choose from, no decisions that severely affect the game (other than wow you now have +1 to loremaster instead of something else!), no characters that think differently of you (in a meaningful way) or many deep NPCs to choose from to make up your party. The game is clunky, awkward and slow, and has many fiddly aspects like crafting and stealing that are like crack cocaine to OCD players but who wants to go through Cyseal stealing everything that's not nailed down twice? And I'm already playing on hard.

I really like a lot of things about this game, but claiming it's the second coming of CRPGs is a bit much. It isn't exactly Baldur's Gate 2 reborn. It's more like Icewind Dale II with a kooky flavour and a not-so-solid ruleset, wrapped in a clunky UI and an even clunkier battle system.

Furthermore, making elitist judgements about someone you haven't even met, based off a few off-hand comments made in a thread about a bug (yes it's a bug, and/or a design flaw), is pretty ignorant, and makes you come off as self-righteous and basically an asshole. My nerd-cred is solid, kid. You ain't got shit on me.

Originally Posted by dirigible
Question is: Is this even main-plot relevant? I donï½´t see how this blocks progress.

that was more in response to what I posted (and then removed in an edit).
Even so, items which exist only to be used in quests generally have that tag I was talking about.

In fact, i wish there was a 'quest item' ivnentory tab. I hate it when quest important shit gets put into the 'crafting' tab.

Music to my ears, couldn't agree more.

Last edited by Yosharian; 25/07/14 06:34 AM.

Hi, I'm Bob Henchman and a Knight by trade. I have this crappy armor, this lousy sword and I know how to apply a bandaid. No, I don't know how to charge or how to inspire or how to*SMACKSMACKSMACKSMACKDIEBOBIHATEYOU*
-Damar Stiehl
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Incendax
I can get the item in my inventory by loading a previous save.
Please explain how to generate an item.
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505777 You can add items, remove items, change item values, add skills (even skills that are HARD to get), add talents, remove talents, etc.

I've got the Divinity Editor open (LSTools thing) but I can't seem to figure out how to to edit character inventories (in other words how to add/remove items).

A simple explanation would be appreciated!

Hmm this is bad. My map has disappeared. And my party no longer wants to follow me around. Haha, I think I broke the game guys.

Update: the link you posted appears to have erroneous information in the original post. The thread creator tells us to unpack the .pak files into the Data directory, then later in the thread Norbyte states that doing this will break the game (which it has done for me).

Currently redownloading 6 gigs' worth of game files...

Last edited by Yosharian; 25/07/14 07:57 AM.

Hi, I'm Bob Henchman and a Knight by trade. I have this crappy armor, this lousy sword and I know how to apply a bandaid. No, I don't know how to charge or how to inspire or how to*SMACKSMACKSMACKSMACKDIEBOBIHATEYOU*
-Damar Stiehl
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze
he himself said, rather emphatically and dramatically, that he would rather deinstall then restart

Saying something when you are frustrated by a problem, self inflicted or not, is a little different than just replying to say 'uninstall and go way', though.

... its a reverse psychology trick to get him to try anyway.

Originally Posted by Raze

he dropped a spell himself because he wasnt paying attention.

The skillbar is (currently) inconsistent, though. You can drag and drop spells off the skillbar and it merely removes the shortcut, which can be re-added. It wouldn't be unrealistic to expect the same thing for scrolls, and if there are multiple windows open or you are in a cluttered area, it is possible to miss the change in cursor or the actual item being dropped.

In other words he was lazy and wasnt paying attention.

He should be shot.

1) 'At the beginning' - I'm about 20 hours in
2) 'Playing a game that's meant for replays' - no it's not
3) 'he dropped a spell himself' - the UI dropped the spell, I only removed it from my hotbar
4) 'wasn't paying attention' - I don't go around holding the ALT button everywhere I go, that's not 'not paying attention', that's a design flaw in the game

ergo ipso.

5) 'that's what RPGs are for' - some, yes. I just finished my 5th playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2, I've completed 3 playthroughs of Fallout: New Vegas, 2 of Fallout 3, I've completed FF7 5 times, the entire Half-Life series three times, Deus Ex at least 3 times, Skyrim three times, KotOR 1 at least 4 times, KotOR 2 twice, countless playthroughs of Diablo 2, completed FEAR twice, Homeworld twice, Jedi Knight twice, Neverwinter Nights 2 three times, Thief 1 at least twice, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines twice, and finally I've completed Warzone 2100 three times (I fuckin love that game!).

He should be shot repeatedly.

Then thrown under a bus full of buffalo's in a high speed chase with a circus elephant truck.

Then shot again, Just to be sure.

I won't be playing this game again - there's no reason to. There are no paths to choose from, no decisions that severely affect the game (other than wow you now have +1 to loremaster instead of something else!), no characters that think differently of you (in a meaningful way) or many deep NPCs to choose from to make up your party. The game is clunky, awkward and slow, and has many fiddly aspects like crafting and stealing that are like crack cocaine to OCD players but who wants to go through Cyseal stealing everything that's not nailed down twice? And I'm already playing on hard.

hahaha

I really like a lot of things about this game, but claiming it's the second coming of CRPGs is a bit much. It isn't exactly Baldur's Gate 2 reborn. It's more like Icewind Dale II with a kooky flavour and a not-so-solid ruleset, wrapped in a clunky UI and an even clunkier battle system.

hahaha

Furthermore, making elitist judgements about someone you haven't even met, based off a few off-hand comments made in a thread about a bug (yes it's a bug, and/or a design flaw), is pretty ignorant, and makes you come off as self-righteous and basically an asshole. My nerd-cred is solid, kid. You ain't got shit on me.

:lolcopter:

Quick guise, group massage!

hahaha

Dirigible, sorry but the only cunt around is you. A little, mewling judgmental cunt, to be sure.

Btw all quest items are tagged as such and cannot be sold, but the game should not hold the hand of players who dont pay attention and dont want to think with their heads.

So dropping such items is not a bug at all. Its a feature.
You need it for several quests.

- Apocalypse, you need that spell to enter Evelyns lair. Unless they changed that in some recent patch.

Your Jake killed Evelyn?

How does that happen?

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I give you 6/10, no more.

-Damar Stiehl
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Gyson

Well in all honesty that is a big part of the problem: the beginning. The murder investigation, while initially interesting, gets to be a bit of a drag once you know "who done it" on subsequent play-throughs, and the idea of going through it all again to get back to the better parts of the game doesn't really excite some people.

There's just a lot of talking to be done in the town, and not many people are going to enjoy reading it all again second, third, or forth time. And just clicking through it as quickly as possible can be just as monotonous.

The "slow start" is a frequent complaint for new players and it makes the prospect of restarting very unappealing.

Actually, you do not have to do any talking at all to investigate the murder.... Fight your way through to the mortician's hut and read Thelyrons diary, break into Evelyn's house and read her diary + various conduit letters: problem solved.

To the OP: I am sure you have already considered this solution, but don't you have a save game with the reveal scroll where you would lose just a few hours of game progress (instead of 20)? Alternatively, you can go and try to speak to Aureus and/or Arhu about Evelyn's diary? Or even just leave Cyseal area when you are high enough leven and go to the Luculla Forest (where you have to go to further investigate the murder anyway)? I think it might be well possible to proceed the game without going to Evelyn's lair at all...

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Elwyn

To the OP: I am sure you have already considered this solution, but don't you have a save game with the reveal scroll where you would lose just a few hours of game progress (instead of 20)? Alternatively, you can go and try to speak to Aureus and/or Arhu about Evelyn's diary? Or even just leave Cyseal area when you are high enough leven and go to the Luculla Forest (where you have to go to further investigate the murder anyway)? I think it might be well possible to proceed the game without going to Evelyn's lair at all...

Unfortunately the most recent save where I still have the scroll is a good 5-7 hours behind where I am currently.

It's not just the time investment anyway, it's boring as fuck to redo 5 hours of stuff you already did.

Skipping one of the most important quests in the game... hmm no, I don't think my OCD could cope with that haha. I'll try the things you mentioned if I'm unable to get the scroll by other means - thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Yosharian; 25/07/14 08:44 AM.

-Damar Stiehl
L
stranger
stranger
L
I had lost the reveal spell and
leandra's spell
and the option I had is to reload earlier save file. The second item is the most crucial one and you can't finish the game without it!

Also, I noticed that some spells are not shown on the last tab (others?)books and stuff or whatever that is.

A
A

- Apocalypse, you need that spell to enter Evelyns lair. Unless they changed that in some recent patch.

Your Jake killed Evelyn?

How does that happen?

Simple. I never did pick up that scroll, so I never went to her lair, I just progressed with the game without searching for Evelyn, assuming that she and the doctor left the town because they noticed that I am on their tracks.

The game reacts to that with the Doctor proceeding with his plans, when you finally met him, Jack was able to free himself and arrives at the place as well. Jack than tells you that Evelyn underestimated him, etc

Quite logical progression of the game if you ignore Evelyn. As it was mentioned from many people, you do not need the amulet from her, because all other high-ranking members of the cult have the same amuletts.

A
A
Originally Posted by L0ngshot
I had lost the reveal spell and
leandra's spell
and the option I had is to reload earlier save file. The second item is the most crucial one and you can't finish the game without it!

Also, I noticed that some spells are not shown on the last tab (others?)books and stuff or whatever that is.

As far as I know you can finish the game even without the second spell. The targets of that spell might be a pain in the arse without the spell, but the game can be finished without it. At least that is what I have read.

The first spell is definitely not needed, I am entering the final stages of the game and have met Evelyn only once. And I am quite sure that even this meeting was unnecessary.

Skipping one of the most important quests in the game... hmm no, I don't think my OCD could cope with that haha. I'll try the things you mentioned if I'm unable to get the scroll by other means - thanks for the suggestions.

You just skip one quest step, the informations you get from her are not unique. There are other sources and your journal will update fine without ever meeting her. Besides that: The Quest is not important at all to begin with.

Last edited by Apocalypse; 25/07/14 11:23 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hm. Ok.

I've actually found the scroll using LSTools but I can't figure out how to move it into my inventory.

http://s23.postimg.org/6qeqx1grv/FOUND_YA_YA_BASTARD.jpg

Last edited by Yosharian; 25/07/14 11:25 AM.

-Damar Stiehl
old hand
old hand

Simple. I never did pick up that scroll, so I never went to her lair, I just progressed with the game without searching for Evelyn, assuming that she and the doctor left the town because they noticed that I am on their tracks.

The game reacts to that with the Doctor proceeding with his plans, when you finally met him, Jack was able to free himself and arrives at the place as well. Jack than tells you that Evelyn underestimated him, etc

Quite logical progression of the game if you ignore Evelyn. As it was mentioned from many people, you do not need the amulet from her, because all other high-ranking members of the cult have the same amuletts.
[/quote]

Oh right, that off screen thing.

What amulet? Jake gives you one, not her, if you meant that one.
Besides, last time i went through Cysael nobody else had it. In later parts of the game they do, true.

Although not having it doesnt prevent you from finishing the game.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Yosharian I wonder if Translate could be the standard X,Y,Z parameters. Where the scroll lies...

journeyman
journeyman
He is not halfway through but barely in the beginning..

Well in all honesty that is a big part of the problem: the beginning. The murder investigation, while initially interesting, gets to be a bit of a drag once you know "who done it" on subsequent play-throughs, and the idea of going through it all again to get back to the better parts of the game doesn't really excite some people.

There's just a lot of talking to be done in the town, and not many people are going to enjoy reading it all again second, third, or forth time. And just clicking through it as quickly as possible can be just as monotonous.

The "slow start" is a frequent complaint for new players and it makes the prospect of restarting very unappealing.

Yup.

I've re-rolled several times now and playing through the first few hours of Cyseal looting everything, and picking up all the quests is getting more painful with every playthrough.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by EvanNotIvan
Yosharian I wonder if Translate could be the standard X,Y,Z parameters. Where the scroll lies...

As in the ones on the map display in-game?

Holy crap I think you might be onto something.. checking it out now...

Update: Aaaaand we have a winner!

http://s16.postimg.org/nkuu12tol/Sigh.jpg

EvanNotIvan you get +1 internets. You're a genius my friend.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, you guys are great. <3

Last edited by Yosharian; 25/07/14 01:06 PM.

-Damar Stiehl
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Elwyn

Actually, you do not have to do any talking at all to investigate the murder.... Fight your way through to the mortician's hut and read Thelyrons diary, break into Evelyn's house and read her diary + various conduit letters: problem solved.

That doesn't really change anything, unfortunately (and not really viable for someone looking to regain all the XP available during the investigation). All the other quests need to be picked up (many completed within town), which requires a lot of legwork through the town. A whole lot of dialogue needs to be clicked through in the process. And an insane number of containers need to be searched through while in the town to help finance your adventures.

The town of Cyseal is a very large time-sink placed right near the start of D:OS, like a hurdle players must get over before they can start enjoying the meat of the game. And it's all fine and enjoyable the first time through when the experience is fresh, but it starts to wear thin on subsequent playthroughs. The pacing in the beginning could have been a lot better, and I can easily understand how it can put players off from starting all over again.

Originally Posted by EvanNotIvan

Good job, guys. smile

Last edited by Gyson; 25/07/14 03:04 PM.
A
A

That doesn't really change anything, unfortunately (and not really viable for someone looking to regain all the XP available during the investigation). All the other quests need to be picked up (many completed within town), which requires a lot of legwork through the town. A whole lot of dialogue needs to be clicked through in the process. And an insane number of containers need to be searched through while in the town to help finance your adventures.

The amount of XP is highly irrelevant, constantly trolling and provoking a certain woman in a certain village later in the game will give you more XP for your charm than you can get in whole Cyseal. (4500XP, each time you talk to her, one of the few characters in the game that is worth alive more xp than dead)
Actually, killing whole Cyseal will give you more XP than doing the quests there most likely ;-)

So the argument that it is all about XP optimisation is moot, this special case gives you most likely less XP than one mistake when sneaking through the blizzard of spoiler.

veteran
veteran

The amount of XP is highly irrelevant, constantly trolling and provoking a certain woman in a certain village later in the game will give you more XP for your charm than you can get in whole Cyseal. (4500XP, each time you talk to her, one of the few characters in the game that is worth alive more xp than dead)
Actually, killing whole Cyseal will give you more XP than doing the quests there most likely ;-)

So the argument that it is all about XP optimisation is moot, this special case gives you most likely less XP than one mistake when sneaking through the blizzard of spoiler.

How is XP gained post-Cyseal helpful when you're looking to earn XP *in* Cyseal so you can be level 3-4 by the time you leave the city gates?

Trust me, as someone who likes my companions to be the same level as my main characters (rather than higher level), I know exactly what kind of hoop-jumping is required to get my two heroes up to level 3 within the town without blowing through the main storyline.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I

Sorry I did not get back to you in a timely fashion, I was doing some tabletop roleplaying. EvanNotIvan pointed you in the right direction, and it looks like you got back on track! Congratulations! I hope you enjoy the rest of the game and put this frustration behind you, sir!

Last edited by Incendax; 25/07/14 06:30 PM.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Not a bug then like all those other people suffered. Possibly <grin>

You find yourself playing an amazing game

Use knowledge of geometry

Something clicks far away

Colossal Adventure <runs away>

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard