Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Damar Stiehl
Train Simulator mods are being sold in quite a lively fashion

There will always be some exceptions to the rule.

stranger
stranger
Have you any examples of your UDK/Unity work that you're monetising, blazed?

F
stranger
stranger
F
(WARNING! The below is my opinion on how people think in terms of games, mods and tendencies on spending money)

When it comes to mods or DLC, I think people are more willing to spend money if it's optional, or as a donation, rather than "forcing" it via a price tag.

If I buy a game, and it has tons of paid DLC (Dungeon Defenders),I rarely (if ever) will pay for those, and will probably stop playing because now I feel "left out".

If a game is good enough and allows modding, people will make awesome mods (Starcraft, WarCraft3). That in turn will draw in even more people. Before you know it, you have a huge modding community, lots of awesome mods and maybe even ones that spark something new (DoTA).

Now here's an interesting hypothetical question. Do you think DoTA, LoL, DoTA2 would exist now if Blizzard charged for modded maps in Warcraft 3? We can speculate of course in either direction, but it is interesting to think about. I might be inclined to say no. Or at the very least, might not be as successful.

I just remember playing Warcraft 3 for hours on end simply because I could play this map, and then go play another map which was a completely different play style than the first one. If those maps had cost extra money, I certainly would not have spent it, and I would argue that Starcraft or WC3 might not have been as popular as it was. Maybe only as a niche eSport, but not for casual player that wants to check out all the cool and different maps people have made.

Anyway, this is just how I see it.

TL;DR

I think games which allow modding are more successful when the mods are free, and donations optional. Seeing a price tag on a mod (or in the proper term, DLC) is enough to drive most people away after playing through the original game.

Mods keep people around. And if they cost money, people are less likely to stick around, thus dispersing the modding community.

Last edited by Forge; 25/07/14 04:56 PM.
You cannot sell mods. It's illegal, because you are using assets that belong to someone else.

Think of it like building a house. There's nothing wrong with building a house, so long as you don't do it with someone else's bricks.

It's fine to accept donations, however.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I made an account to do two things, tonight.

To petition Larian to add custom sound resource support to the DE2, and to tell everyone that three years later, this post is still being read. And here are my thoughts.

Just because something is hard work does not make you entitled to compensation for it. The modding community is, and always has been, about sharing ideas, stories, narratives, keeping the lifeblood of a game whose heart has slowed flowing, out of mutual passion. Capitalism has no place there.

It was mentioned how UDK has free assets. Yeah, and you know what we call games that use the bare-bones assets? Asset Flips. And they do not have a good reputation. They say "I wanted to do the bare minimum effort, and I expect your hard earned money for that." That kind of shit has RUINED Steam, so we can all just look at that fucking mess when we want to remind ourselves why we do this shit for the joy of it, and not to make a quick buck.

Also, there are a fair few well known modders out there that have systems set up through Patreon, so if people want to donate, they can. If you don't think your work will be good enough that people would seek out your Patreon, take the time to donate, and give up their cash to you of their OWN volition, then your mod is shit anyway. And a shitty mod made to give someone else a laugh is FAR more respectable than a shitty mod with a price tag.

And if the thread would please take a look out the left hand window, we see Bethesda's Creation Club, a paid mod service currently in full swing that has a tenth as many likes as it does dislikes on it's announcement video. That's going absolutely awfully.

Modding is not game dev. Game dev is game dev, and that industry has been ruined by people that are more interested in skimming a buck than creating something. Keep that shit quarantined on Steam.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard