Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
It would be nice if there was a skill to regenerate health like in Divine Divinity, and in towns or non-hostile territory this would be boosted 4x.

In all honesty, one can just take their characters to a bed to heal manually. But out of sheer convenience, just to have it done gradually would be nice. Things like this would keep you more into the game then doing "maintenance" work. Though I think this would be most useful in early levels prior to the learning of healing spells/skills.

Now with my example, lets say it takes a good two minutes out of combat to heal 100% with regeneration (like 1 second = 1%). In town, 1 second = 4% HP. If this was an MMORPG, or if someone made a mod that turned the game into an MMORP (would be awesome) then I can see no auto-healing in town.

@Hivers comments -
Guys and Gals, please stop trolling him. I know he's a troll, he's already verbally attacked me for being in the military. It is best to just report his negative comments to the moderators and keep the thread going. This thread is owned by a new user, scruffyotter, not Hiver!

When the mods get sick of all the reported posts, he'll be gone. Don't get your posts reported on. This is a friendly forum and it is up to all of us to keep it that way smile

Last edited by LightningLockey; 26/07/14 04:01 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
Its kinda almost funny that you choose to come blaring here, where your clone is having exactly same cognitive failures as you did lockey.

Im not sure how you figure that i "attacked you for being in the military" hahaha but you could prove that idiotic lying statement, surely? Give a link or something, yes? Want to remind us what mass market feature you were demanding there?

The only thing that actually happened is that you embarrassed yourself by trying to win some completely unattainable argument by claiming you are in the military hahaha

Which automatically makes you a screaming embarrassment for any military that employed you.
Not to mention how ironic it is and what a good material for some Dave Allen sketches.

You are a prototype reason for every joke about brainlessness of military ever made.

Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Here's what I believe:
1. There isn't really a right or wrong answer on the whole "heal out of town" thing. There are preferences. I'm looking at this whole argument and it's about as silly to me as one person claiming the provable superiority of chocolate ice cream versus someone claiming the provable superiority of pistachio ice cream.
2. Games should be made to accommodate the various preferences out there. There should be someone who makes chocolate ice cream, and someone who makes vanilla. It would really suck if every game was made according to the same set of preferences, and no one could find a game which catered to their "eccentricities."
3. I like me some pistachio ice cream. I also like it when there's no automatic healing in my RPGs.

What is most hilarious to me is when third parties see an argument and then somehow accept that an issue is a matter of "personal preferences" - despite clear and numerous very big internal reasons to the contrary.

1. There is already a surplus of various healing items in the game. - I trust i can leave the resulting logic causation effect to you.

2. The fact that nobody heals just by themselves in the game world is actually used as a feature and part of some quests and story itself.

3. This fact is clearly a part of the inner game world logic and the setting. Any health regen would be completely alien, outside feature that is forced onto the game specifically for personal convenience of a few quite mindless drones - exhibit one and two above - who cannot form two coherent thoughts in a row.

Convenience issue that is based on literally overblown unrealistic complaints from those same people.

Why would you even think its a matter of personal preferences? Why fall for that cheap trick?
Ofcourse that laughable brainfarts like lightninglockey and that spinning mental failure above would like to make it seem so.

After all they dont have anything but their "personal opinions" to spray around.

It does not feel like i accomplish anything, it feels, to me, like a combersome task i have to repeat over and over again.
It is not a false anything presented, its an explanation why its a poor gameplay feature.

See? How something makes him "feel" is the reason why something is a poor gameplay feature.

journeyman
journeyman
Everyone do the board a favor and just report Hiver's posts from now on rather than feeding the troll. He's long overdue for a ban.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Probably should have added
4. He who begins arguing the provable superiority of a particular flavor of ice cream is very unlikely to cease trying to prove the superiority of said flavor.

That said, it's a preference, but it's also one which influences a lot of other factors in a game's design. Hiver did a decent enough job of going over how the initial decision to "go pistachio" has had effects on other game design decisions within D:OS. Changing the flavor now would mean the extra developer work of redesigning those affected systems, and thus it isn't likely to happen at this point. Game's already released, after all.

There's about zero chance of Lockey getting what the specific thing he wants from this game. He should realize this and stop beating his head against a wall. However, if you're a game developer, you should probably realize there's an audience for people like Lockey (I doubt he's the only one who thinks the way he does) and consider making a different game to appeal to them, something that's a little similar to D:OS but has some important differences as well. There's a market out there for the chocolate ice cream lovers too, after all.

Just, um, we're doing the pistachio thing here, Lockey. We're going to keep doing it. You're not wrong, per se, but it doesn't matter because we're not changing. No offense, hope you can understand.

@Fellgnome: He actually had some good points, in his own way; I reference them above. He's not stupid and he's not a troll, he's just very, very arrogant. I don't have a problem dealing with some bad attitude if there's some degree of intelligence behind it; your opinion may differ.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 26/07/14 09:23 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Probably should have added
4. He who begins arguing the provable superiority of a particular flavor of ice cream is very unlikely to cease trying to prove the superiority of said flavor.

That said, it's a preference, but it's also one which influences a lot of other factors in a game's design. Hiver did a decent enough job of going over how the initial decision to "go pistachio" has had effects on other game design decisions within D:OS. Changing the flavor now would mean the extra developer work of redesigning those affected systems, and thus it isn't likely to happen at this point. Game's already released, after all.

There's about zero chance of Lockey getting what the specific thing he wants from this game. He should realize this and stop beating his head against a wall. However, if you're a game developer, you should probably realize there's an audience for people like Lockey (I doubt he's the only one who thinks the way he does) and consider making a different game to appeal to them, something that's a little similar to D:OS but has some important differences as well. There's a market out there for the chocolate ice cream lovers too, after all.

Just, um, we're doing the pistachio thing here, Lockey. We're going to keep doing it. You're not wrong, per se, but it doesn't matter because we're not changing. No offense, hope you can understand.

@Fellgnome: He actually had some good points, in his own way; I reference them above. He's not stupid and he's not a troll, he's just very, very arrogant. I don't have a problem dealing with some bad attitude if there's some degree of intelligence behind it; your opinion may differ.

If this weren't their official forum I wouldn't mind. But it is, and it reflects badly on their moderation to allow such blatant disregard for their forum rules regardless of whether we define it as trolling or flaming or whatever.

Trolling as defined their board rules fits Hiver's behavior -

Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.

Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=boardrules&v=1

enthusiast
enthusiast
While I am definitely a fan of game developer property rights -- which means I believe this is their house and they can do pretty much whatever they want which isn't criminal, to include deleting posts or banning users purely on whim, much less with good reason -- in terms of what I tolerate from other forum users, I'm pretty easygoing. I mean, if I was running a forum, trolling wouldn't be against the rules, because I think some of the more genuinely interesting debates become genuinely interesting because you have one or more participants who believe what they believe with a passion, and some of that passion would be stifled if expressing it was strictly forbidden. I'd consider the intent behind such antagonization to be far more important; there's a difference between someone "doing it for the lulz" and someone with perhaps too much conviction.

And it genuinely bothers me that I'm not allowed to swear here. I feel I do so rather effectively, and having one of my rhetorical techniques denied to me sometimes feels like having my hands tied. I'm having a surprising amount of trouble finding the ESRB rating (perhaps there isn't one due to Larian's location), but it's a game with sufficient adult material, so I don't see the need to be family-friendly in terms of language. They're still the boss, I respect that, but it's a decision I don't understand.

But I digress. Hiver obviously isn't in it for the lulz here.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 26/07/14 09:53 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
While I am definitely a fan of game developer property rights -- which means I believe this is their house and they can do pretty much whatever they want which isn't criminal, to include deleting posts or banning users purely on whim, much less with good reason -- in terms of what I tolerate from other forum users, I'm pretty easygoing. I mean, if I was running a forum, trolling wouldn't be against the rules, because I think some of the more genuinely interesting debates become genuinely interesting because you have one or more participants who believe what they believe with a passion, and some of that passion would be stifled if expressing it was strictly forbidden. I'd consider the intent behind such antagonization to be far more important; there's a difference between someone "doing it for the lulz" and someone with perhaps too much conviction.

And it genuinely bothers me that I'm not allowed to swear here. I feel I do so rather effectively, and having one of my rhetorical techniques denied to me sometimes feels like having my hands tied. I'm having a surprising amount of trouble finding the ESRB rating (perhaps there isn't one due to Larian's location), but it's a game with sufficient adult material, so I don't see the need to be family-friendly in terms of language. They're still the boss, I respect that, but it's a decision I don't understand.

But I digress. Hiver obviously isn't in it for the lulz here.

Doesn't matter if he's in it for the lulz. I don't believe he is, but then again I also don't see how most of it is at all necessary to get his points across. What matters is it's obviously against this board's rules. Which also means you can't properly respond in kind to him without worry of a ban yourself.

Doesn't matter how you'd run your own board. I'd run a board more casually myself, but I'm not a game company and my forums would not be official. Hiver can go post on reddit or something where his "style" is tolerated.

As for ESRB, it's a Euro game so it's PEGI, and I think it's 16+.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I wouldn't respond to him in kind even if I could. You do realize one can swear without being antagonistic, right? smile

But I feel we're on a derail of a derail at this point. To reiterate my on-topic point: nothing wrong with a game doing healing in town, but this isn't going to be the game to do it.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 26/07/14 10:29 AM.
N
apprentice
apprentice
N
I have no problem with swearing or harsh language, Hivers behavior is pretty toxic tho, running around insulting people left and right, for no other reason than disagreeing with him, is not a socially acceptable behavior, especially when you cry "foul" when someone calls him out.

What he does is basically "You are not allowed to call me "xy", thats not an argument" and then 2 lines later "you are an idiot, i hope you get cancer". See the problem here? He just packs it in better sounding language, trying to fool people with it.
Basically he is doing everything he accuses others of and failing to see that makes it laughable or to put it in his words, makes him a simpleton. I spare you the repetition of his other more colorful descriptions. He is allowed to say those words, others not apparently. Quiet stupid, no?

Using many adjectives does not make one intelligent, it fools people into thinking that. Its a pretty common tactic.
He has some points that make sense, sure, since nothing is black and white in the world, and a forum is there to discuss it, but his failure to even acknowledge that there are other valid opinions, besides his own, thinking that he holds the absolute truth makes him the opposite of intelligent.

If you read his posts and replies carefully you can see that 90% is inflammatory language without any meaning, sometimes the replies do not even make any sense, or match the thing he replies to.
It seems that he is, on purpose, not understanding simple lines or has a problem comprehending, maybe that's why he is masking his replies in intelligent sounding, meaningless, insulting phrases.

Troll or not, lulz or not, its socially unacceptable behavior and goes against forum rules as others have pointed out.
Don't fall for it.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Fellgnome

If this weren't their official forum I wouldn't mind. But it is, and it reflects badly on their moderation to allow such blatant disregard for their forum rules regardless of whether we define it as trolling or flaming or whatever.

Trolling as defined their board rules fits Hiver's behavior -

And thats because you say so?

So... you just claim something and thats true? No need to explain that and support it with anything, right? Isnt that another funny coincidence?

Its not because we had one single argument before, somewhere about something and you lost it i guess?

It wouldnt be that, really? right?

Originally Posted by Fellgnome

Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.

Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=boardrules&v=1

You might notice i never called for anyone to be banned so far, nor have i stooped so low to invent such accusations against those that dont agree with me or those i have argued with, as you do here.

But if we are going to consider flaming and trolling then lightninglockey and that incoherent kid above should be the first on the line.

Mind you, i believe accusing others of being trolls, especially when that is not the case is considered flaming.

Not to mention how pathetic and laughable calling for mob lynching makes you look. As if you need any extra amount of that.

Continue sucking up to me like that and we could become best friends.

btw, im sure you wont believe me, but thinking i am very arrogant is so ridiculously far from any reality it feels like im in some twilight zone episode, when seeing it.

Of course, it is the sign of the times when common sense and logic is called arrogance, is it not?

Then again, one might point out your term of "some degree of intelligence" as interesting and telling in the context of talk about arrogance.

Also, if its simple to do i might even make a auto regen mod for people... no wait, i wont. But someone could request it and some modder might take pity and do it.

So whoever wants to ruin the game for personal reason can do it
personally to himself.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by namealreadytaken
I have no problem with swearing or harsh language, Hivers behavior is pretty toxic tho, running around insulting people left and right, for no other reason than disagreeing with him, is not a socially acceptable behavior, especially when you cry "foul" when someone calls him out.

There we go again. Loses the argument - cant provide anything to support his declaratory statements and laughable lies - returns with more declaratory statements trying to establish some kind of ad hominem as his "proof" by just declaring it is so.

And more complete blatant lies.

While this is how it started:

Originally Posted by Hiver
It makes the verisimilitude of the setting stronger, coherence and internal logic of the game world greater and more divested from the players like you.

You have no idea what old school means and just throwing declaratory statements around means nothing.

Your personal subjective opinions are not truths of the universe and reality.

Try to act and talk/write like a grown up please, since you seem to know "oldschool" you should be old enough, aren't you?
No need to get all butthurt if someone disagrees with your opinion.
No need to attack the person or their knowledge of terms, that is usually a sign that you are out of loical arguments and makes you look childish.

So... who is going for personal attacks here?

hm?

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Lose the argument? Because you say so? Because you just declared it. Again, doing what you are accusing others of, as pointed out earlier.

You went into a nerdrage and spewed incoherent gibberish to the point were you made a fool of yourself and started insulting in every second sentence. You dont win by wishing someone cancer, that is usually the point were you have proven to everyone around that you are a complete morron. You can see that behavior in multiplayer games, losing team of children always wishing the winning team cancer or aids or death by fire or some idiotic things.
But you call that winning? Ok, guess you won then. Congratulations your are the new Charlie Sheen.

As you posted it, this is how it started you threw around a declaratory statement and your own opinion, and then saying declaratory statements mean nothing and ones personal opinions are not the truth. This is indeed childish and using lines like "and more divested from the players like you" comes of as incredibly butthurt, which was proven even further by your nerdrage wall of texts where you had nothing better to do than use 90% of the text to insult with as many adjectives you could think of and making guesses about what i eat and trying to "win" an argument with that and hating on supermarkets. That was pretty funny. Sad, but funny.

I pity you.

Last edited by namealreadytaken; 26/07/14 11:33 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Try not to respond directly to him, just notify and move along. He likely posts like he does because he craves attention and you're giving it to him.

old hand
old hand
Lose the argument? Because you say so? Because you just declared it. Again, doing what you are accusing others of, as pointed out earlier.

You are repeating yourself again. Just spewing unfounded declaratory statements without anything to support those. And then more ad hominems and other ridiculous laughable assertions.
It will probably surprise you but just using simplest reverse psychology schtick isnt actually working if you cannot support it with anything.

You lost all the arguments about the feature you demanded since you failed to provide anything real to support those desires except your personal feelings about it.
Weve been over it, the discussion is above for everyone to see. with detailed quotes and answers.

You just keep it on some personal level - and you seem physically and psychologically unable to talk about the feature that is the point of the discussion or anything relevant to it.
I guess thats because it is a false factually wrong demand in its core and there isnt anything factually true to be said about it, except how it makes a simpleton like you feel.

If you think you can just claim it somehow isnt so, then you are delusional and obviously have some serious mental issues. Which is only to be expected from a mass market drone like you and which you exhibited repeatedly in this discussion.

Its probably a consequence from all those things youve been eating in supermarkets.
Although genetics play a big role too.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
What you are saying makes no sense. You are making that stuff up.
You are reiterating the same untrue stuff you have been saying over and over again. We are not in kindergarden, repeating untrue stuff does not magically make it true.

I lost the "arguments" because you say so, because you make it up to be so. How convenient charlie. Thinking this is an argument when people are exchanging view points and ideas and thinking one can win it in the first place is pathetic and childish. Shows your character and why you are really here, your post history is further prove to your character, or lack of.
Like kids arguing over who would win, Batman or Superman and getting in a fight about it, same shit.

Do you think devs will come in here and say "huch, hiver won/lost that argument, lets implement/not implement it"
One does not lose anything because you say so. You make yourself a fool because of the things you say.

I am keeping it on a personal level? That is rich coming from the guy wishing me cancer. And in the next line calling me simpleton, mental issues, mass market drone and then again making guesses about food i eat and my genetcis. Thats a pretty idiotic thing to say. And again the big bad supermarketthat haunts your dreams.

Its impossible to discuss anything with you. When someone brings something up you say "no, thats your subjective opinion" or simply declare it wrong while you say your opinion is valid. Thats not discussing, thats not bringing arguments, thats not refuting arguments, that is simply childish behavior of a kid that feels threatened that their favorite toy is being taking away from them.
That is exactly how you act. And no, not because i say so, because you do so as seen in many of your posts.

That is probably a consequence from bashing your head against the keyboard when someone says something you can not agree with.
Although genetics play a big role too.

Anyhow, since you are acting like a child and therefor making it impossible to communicate with you, i am taking the advice of Fellgnome and stopping that. You think whatever you wanna think in the little head of yours. Your behavior and incoherent logic stands for itself am not gonna enable your complex driven trolling any longer and give you the chance to come down from your little nerdrage.
No one is taking your toy, dont worry.
Have a nice day.

V
stranger
stranger
V
I don't like the idea, because in this game you are allowed to fight NPCs within the cities. Besides, there is not a real need to do so, because you can use potions, scrolls, spells, food, beds... to regain health.

Tip: Click on Hiver's name, click on Profile and click on Ignore. Trolls b'gone.
Any arguments send to that guy will just bounce off his massive ego. It's pointless.

On-topic: Auto-healing is never a good idea in my opinion. It makes games far too easy. I like old school games, where you couldn't hide in a corner to avoid danger and healing over time.
Modern shooters are the worst. Get hit, hide behind a rock, regain full health. Old school shooters had you turn a level upsidedown for that one medkit that would get you through the rest of the level.

Most classic rpg's are hard and do not forgive errors. I think Larian wanted to capture this trait in this game. Still, without the need for mana, resting or any other spellcasting limitation, it's still too easy.

Anyway, this game in particular has plenty of healing spells and potions. Just use those potions as much as you need them, because you'll be finding lots of them, and ofcourse you can create more yourself.
Give one of your characters 1 point in Hydro and take a healing spell with you. Man-at-arms has a nice healing spell too. You'll be able to start every fight at full health, every time.

You're also free to sleep in any bed you come across. I suggest Mayor Cecil's bed. It's really fluffy. smile

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
@Gotcha!

I get where you are coming from, latest Wolfenstein had no autolife regen, that was nice smile
The problem here is not getting healed up, that is doable by plenty of ways, as you have pointed out. The problem is that it is, imho, a pointless exercise when you have unlimited resources anyway, as in unlimited healing spells or way too many potions.
It just costs you time, you don't have to weigh your options, consider resources, its just maintenance you have to do.
A powerful (out of Combat) AE Healing Spell would solve the problem aswell, maybe there is one, i dont know, i have not come across any till now.

Last edited by namealreadytaken; 27/07/14 05:20 PM.
A powerful (out of Combat) AE Healing Spell would solve the problem aswell, maybe there is one, i dont know, i have not come across any till now.

Admittedly, I do miss a mass healing spell too, if only to speed things up. Yeah, there currently isn't one. But who knows. Maybe if enough people make the suggestion, Larian will put one in.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard