Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
Post your weird, random, or stupid ideas here. Comment on other people's weird, random or stupid ideas.

-Casting spells should trigger attacks of opportunity
-Intelligence is too powerful. Geomancy should scale off of Strength and Aerothurge should scale off of Dex to balance the stats out.
-Breaking chests should give a chance of smashed items. This would make lockpicking more valuable.
-There should be a vendor who only sells crafting items
-You should be able to drag any 'Fortify __' potion onto any equipment or weapon, to enchant that item with that effect. This would make alchemy more useful, and crafted equipment less boring.
-Food should regenerate lots of health, but over a very long period of time. This would essentially mean that your HP regenerates slowly as long as your character is well fed.

Last edited by dirigible; 27/07/14 04:28 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm down with spellcasting triggering AoOs.

Geomancy and Aerotheurge are both spellcasting schools and should remain Intelligence-aligned. The change which should be made instead is that Strength reduces the cooldown of Man-at-Arms skills, and Dexterity decreases the cooldown of Marksman and Scoundrel skills. There's no good reason to give Intelligence the cooldown reduction monopoly.

Damaging chests should do something to the durability of items within. For this reason, almost every item in the game should have a durability value, even those which aren't wearable. (Gold pieces and quest items should be unbreakable, that's about it.)

There is a vendor who only sells ingredients. He's in the inn at Silverglen. The Enchantress at the Cyseal market also sells ingredients, in addition to the Hydro and Aero skillbooks.

I would like to see food heal at the start of every turn during its effect, much like Minor Heal does. I'd like to see the various food items better balanced against each other, going for a variety of effects rather than strict superiority situations. I'd also like to see a variety of durations in food, so that one dish might be like "Restoration," while another type might be like "Strong Regenerate," etc. I don't think any duration longer than 4 rounds would be appropriate. I think it's important that food remains relevant even into the endgame, at least for Five Star Diner characters.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 27/07/14 05:03 AM.
stranger
stranger
Don't agree with the dex + str bonuses for a mage. Keep it to int only.

Items which destroy are a good idea, I had the same idea myself. This would actually make points in lockpicking worth it. Food regen over a large time scale I also agree with.

The world should also have smiths and crafter who can build items for the player. Less powerful than when you take these options. But I don't know any RPG where you can't actually buy crafted items.

D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by Pvt_Booger
The world should also have smiths and crafter who can build items for the player. Less powerful than when you take these options. But I don't know any RPG where you can't actually buy crafted items.

I like this. A crafter who charges you money, but will make whatever crafted item you supply them the mats for (or they use their own mats, even). Would also be cool if they taught you recipes.

Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
There is a vendor who only sells ingredients. He's in the inn at Silverglen. The Enchantress at the Cyseal market also sells ingredients, in addition to the Hydro and Aero skillbooks.

Both of them suck, then, cause there were lots of ingredients I could never find.
I actually would like it there was at least one merchant in the game, for each class of item, who would sell every type of that item no matter what. None of this randomness bullshit.
Like, the elementals at the end of time. I think they should always carry every single tome. Sucks coming across a tome 8 levels beneath you that you never even knew existed.

Last edited by dirigible; 27/07/14 05:36 AM.
W
stranger
stranger
W
hay

this is my first post here smile

Game is quite good but there are some annoying things:
- some glitches when talking and moving the rest of team - you must abandon some members and recruit them again
- equipment view should remember old setting - sort by new stuff or smth..
- when you switch the person you should see his / hers skill bar - this is really annoying
- why the poison surface not burn ? -it should explode I think

btw game is good as hell smile and I drunk :p

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dirigible

-Intelligence is too powerful. Geomancy should scale off of Strength and Aerothurge should scale off of Dex to balance the stats out.

Oh god no.

This would just be way too good for warrior builds. Way, way too good. Especially considering the Zombie and Bully talent's synergy w/poison spells and of course Midnight Oil. And you get summons on your warrior, and Bless, and another knockdown that does..poison field. Wow.

Actually it'd be really strong for scoundrel/marksman as well of course, but I'm not sure extra invisibility methods are needed there considering sneak 5 is all they need most of the time.

I would pretty much stop playing pure mage if this change happened, and roll face with two LW/GC Zombie Warriors w/Geo.

F
stranger
stranger
F
1. Stealing is too easy. Either change the difficulty of the stealing itself of lower the price of stolen things. Paiting for example should cost 1/5 of the current price.
2. Somebody already told but when not using lockpicks you should have a chance to destroy item inside. I really dont know how this went unnoticed for the whole beta tests?
3. Dialogs/conversation in Co-op. Already stated in some other topics. At the moment its very annoying.
4. Add Very Hard and Insane difficulties
5. It would be nice to have some kind of book/option especially for crafting. Once you experiment with ingidients and craft something it should be saved and easily recreated.

D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
@Fellgnome
That's kind of the point - to add synergy for the Warrior / Rogue / Ranger classes. Currently the only build which actually synergizes with itself is pure mage, and it synergizes SO HARD. Being able to use more than half the skills in the game, AND combo off of your own abilities, able to do it all at range, and you only need to rely on a single stat? What the hell.
The other point is to make it harder to combo with yourself. Poison would rely on Str, but fire would rely on Int. Water would rely on Int, but Lightning would rely on Dex. Gotta multi-class or rely on your team mates to pull off them sick combos.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by fxluk

2. Somebody already told but when not using lockpicks you should have a chance to destroy item inside. I really dont know how this went unnoticed for the whole beta tests?

This is something I hate in many RPGs, the need to have a thief in the group or specific skills to open doors, chests and detect the traps. In DoS I can detect the traps thanks to the perception of my warrior and open the doors with fireballs without spending points in any thief specific skill and it's a good idea. I can play without thief and I like that. So I don't want to spend skill point just for safely open a chest but I admit this is a logical idea.

But I don't like when items can break randomly in RPG (like fail a craft or a weapon upgrade...) this is not fun and anyway many players will reload.

For me, difficulty must be in fight, not in random things.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Currently the only build which actually synergizes with itself is pure mage, and it synergizes SO HARD.
Um, everything halfway decent has a cooldown of at least one turn. So it has to synergize; otherwise, it would always feel like you're using your AP in a suboptimal way after you blow through your best cooldowns. This effect is felt a little anyway, but a feeling of synergy is the thing keeping it from feeling like shtuff.

The advantage of the other classes isn't synergy, it's raw power. It's about taking a relatively simple concept (attacking), making it awesome, then repeating that awesome multiple times in one turn. Synergy is overrated.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 27/07/14 07:56 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by Zorgi

This is something I hate in many RPGs, the need to have a thief in the group or specific skills to open doors, chests and detect the traps. In DoS I can detect the traps thanks to the perception of my warrior and open the doors with fireballs without spending points in any thief specific skill and it's a good idea. I can play without thief and I like that. So I don't want to spend skill point just for safely open a chest but I admit this is a logical idea.

But I don't like when items can break randomly in RPG (like fail a craft or a weapon upgrade...) this is not fun and anyway many players will reload.

For me, difficulty must be in fight, not in random things.

I like the idea of destroying doors and chests but whats the point of taking rogue with lockpicking skills if it makes no difference at all (beside some time)?
I can say that it forces me to not invest point in it.

You want to play without thief/rogue, thats fine but I think that you should not be able to have the same possibilites as somebody who takes rogue with lockpicking.

From what I remember it worked pretty fine in neverwinter.

Last edited by fxluk; 27/07/14 08:43 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

I like the idea of destroying doors and chests but whats the point of taking rogue with lockpicking skills if it makes no difference at all (beside some time)?
I can say that it forces me to not invest point in it.

You want to play without thief/rogue, thats fine but I think that you should not be able to have the same possibilites as somebody who takes rogue with lockpicking.

You're right but you can't open a chest/door my way if a NPC is near. That's the real advantage of this skill in my humble opinion. This is intended to steal.

D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Currently the only build which actually synergizes with itself is pure mage, and it synergizes SO HARD.
Um, everything halfway decent has a cooldown of at least one turn. So it has to synergize; otherwise, it would always feel like you're using your AP in a suboptimal way after you blow through your best cooldowns. This effect is felt a little anyway, but a feeling of synergy is the thing keeping it from feeling like shtuff.

The advantage of the other classes isn't synergy, it's raw power. It's about taking a relatively simple concept (attacking), making it awesome, then repeating that awesome multiple times in one turn. Synergy is overrated.

Except there is lots of redundancy in mage spells. Already used Lightning II? Then use Lightning I. Used both of those? Use Lightning Strike.
Not to mention that you can say the same of man-at-arms, too. Any turn you spend 'just attacking' is suboptimal, since you could have been flurrying, or whirlwinding.
The difference is that Mages are hugely better since they can reduce their cooldowns so that they can throw out ridiculous spells EVERY TURN, while a warrior cannot.

I really disagree that synergy is overrated. The idea of a warrior who had synergy with Earth made Fellgnome flip his shit. He wouldn't have done that if synergy was no big deal.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Not to mention that you can say the same of man-at-arms, too. Any turn you spend 'just attacking' is suboptimal, since you could have been flurrying, or whirlwinding.
Really not true. Basic attack is actually pretty solid and surprisingly strong in many situations.

I've been doing a lot of melee this playthrough, and how it pretty much works is that you have a pretty strong pressure to use cooldowns as movement bypassers. I'm never, ever annoyed by the CD on my Whirlwind, I don't even really use it that much (about as often as I'd use Mass Weakness on a caster -- definitely not "never," but it's not a common occurrence). However, Battering Ram and Tactical Retreat (it never fumbles so you don't need Dex) get used early and often, and in some cases it sucks being on cooldown for those and not being able to use them. When you're in close, yeah, Flurry, but if Flurry is on CD normal attacks tend to do the job just about as well; Flurry is normally overkill, a lot of the time the fourth attack don't even hit because the enemy is dead already.

Battering Ram is so much better than Whirlwind. The knockdown chance easily makes up for the damage difference, there is built-in mobility, it's also AoE, and if you're not healing off of burning ground as a warrior late-game you are doing it wrong. It's my legitimate pick for most powerful skill in the game; it doesn't need to synergize with other things, it does it all by itself.

The point is, I do tend to use a lot of these movement skills early in fights, which is admittedly a form of cooldown spam. But once I get the melees next to their targets, I'm fully content to just beat them down with normal attacks; those do the trick just fine.

I feel you're simply underestimating how much damage a two-handed sword actually does. It's ridiculous. And it's not something ridiculous you can throw out every turn; it's something ridiculous you can throw out multiple times per turn.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 28/07/14 06:08 AM.
W
W
Also, other playstyles can have synergy.

Using special arrows you can create any kind of synergy a mage can internally.

Knockdown arrow/crushing fist/battering ram/crippling strike + bully is self-created 'synergy' but in a different way.

Venomous Strike + fire enchanted weapon auto-attack = explosion

Hit a zombie then phoenix dive = explosion

Scoundrel exploskeleton + poison = explosion (using this one quite a lot at the moment)

Also does bleeding + air damage stun?

enthusiast
enthusiast
You can definitely electrify blood. I seem to remember to check for water before throwing out Chain Lightnings, but I just lost to some of the level 18 Immaculates because my own spell stunned three of my characters who were all standing on blood.

What I don't know is whether weapon damage can pull it off or not.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 28/07/14 02:45 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
@Fellgnome
That's kind of the point - to add synergy for the Warrior / Rogue / Ranger classes. Currently the only build which actually synergizes with itself is pure mage, and it synergizes SO HARD. Being able to use more than half the skills in the game, AND combo off of your own abilities, able to do it all at range, and you only need to rely on a single stat? What the hell.
The other point is to make it harder to combo with yourself. Poison would rely on Str, but fire would rely on Int. Water would rely on Int, but Lightning would rely on Dex. Gotta multi-class or rely on your team mates to pull off them sick combos.

Mages have the most synergy and versatility, sure, but the least raw damage and survivability. You give Warriors or Scoundrel/ Marksman builds a hefty chunk of the mage versatility and a pure mage becomes obsolete.

Mages rely on combining spells to build up control and damage, warriors and scoundrel/marksman can simply autoattack for better damage using a small selection of CDs for mobility/control when needed. Giving them some of the best mage spells may solve the gap in diversity between them and mages, but it makes mages pointless in doing so.

It's not like it's that hard to include some key-spell skills for non-mages either, even just 8-10 int can give anyone a good selection of utility/mobility/buff spells for not-too-much trade-off(at least at higher levels).

If they want to improve the skill selection for man-at-arms(via new skills or allowing easier hybrization somehow), marksman, scoundrel, and lower their CDs they're going to have to nerf autoattacks to balance it. Which I am all for as I find them boring compared to mages right now.

W
W
I'm pretty sure that staff of magus can proc stun on wet targets (even without % stun on the staff). Not sure about bleeding.

And I haven't actually tested it with auto-attacks.

What I do know for certain is that hitting a poisoned enemy with fire, or a burning enemy with poison, creates an explosion (just with auto-attacks).

And of course, blood has a lot of Iron in it!

D
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
D
@Scrotie
At the end of the game, my 2-handed warrior did more damage on average than my mages, per turn. But my mages could summon elementals to boost damage, heal the team, put shields on anyone, cc the enemy, or just focus on damage and do about the same overall damage as the warrior - more, if the enemy had elemental weaknesses.
That level of versatility should make you a jack of all trades, master of none. But in fact, Mages have the best healing, best cc, best team buffs, best enemy debuffs, and best aoe damage in the game. All that leaves for man at arms, scoundrel, and ranger to fight over is 'best single target damage'. Mages are jack of all trades, master of all but one.

@Fellgnome
I would say that mages easily have the highest survivability in the game. All of the shield/heal/escape/fortify spells that they have allow them to become unkillable.

Other suggestions
-you should be able to break armor down into scraps
-Scale armor feels kind of pointless. It seems like it's just plate armor, but with no movement penalty. Problem is you can remove the movement penalty on plate for free, if you are a blacksmith. I'd change it so that blacksmithing to improve plate armor only increases its armor, doesn't affect its movement penalty.

Last edited by dirigible; 28/07/14 05:28 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
@Scrotie
@Fellgnome
I would say that mages easily have the highest survivability in the game. All of the shield/heal/escape/fortify spells that they have allow them to become unkillable.

By raw I mean passive. Mage survivability heavily relies on spending AP, while a man-at-arms build will be able to wear plate and just always have high mitigation.

Link Copied to Clipboard