Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
I'm just saying, if the dev have decided to remove this 'feature' as a glitch in future patch, then sooner or later one will not be able to do this by whatever means.

It would be best to find other ways to enjoy the game. smile

I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by SpaceHamster
I'm just saying, if the dev have decided to remove this 'feature' as a glitch in future patch, then sooner or later one will not be able to do this by whatever means.

It would be best to find other ways to enjoy the game. smile
Well, you could still get it early on so that you have the benefit for a longer period of your playtime. But at least then there would be no rush if you did not mind. My OCD could handle that laugh

Last edited by Incendax; 25/07/14 04:24 AM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by ScrotieMcB
Just to clarify, by "steal the Blood Stones from Loic's office" I mean... after crossing the river to make it to Sacred Stone (near the 20:00 exact mark in the video, coincidentally), take a small detour to climb the mountain and take the portal into the Silverglen chapel cellar the opposite direction in which you normally would. 2 Blood Stones there; use them on nothing to get 2 Star Stones. After that you proceed to steal the ore at Sacred Stone. That's how you can skip both the Coves and the Trials and get the Teller at level 3 (Sacred Stone WP = still level 3, entering Sacred Stone = level 4, so just visit the Teller first, since you already have 5 stones at that point). You could probably complete the entire setup in under 30 minutes.

edit: Also, invis past the Immaculates is important to avoid both the Charisma XP or a fight. If you get the Charisma XP I'm pretty sure you make level 4 and lose out on a pair of books. I noticed in the video that you actually Charisma your way past them -- suboptimal. Less speaking, more sneaking.

One last comment on the video: Although you obviously want to steal as much ore as you can while you're there, you want to dump all but one piece on the ground before talking to Brandon. He'll take all the ore you have on you when you claim your reward. Then go back to where you dropped the ore and scoop it back up.

Exactly what detour? the path that goes to the prison? (do note i never got to this part on my main playthrough, so i don't know my way around).

Or are you referring to talking to Loic about joining them, waiting till everyone leaves and then picking the lock on the trapdoor?

Last edited by kurausu; 30/07/14 04:47 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kurausu
Exactly what detour?
1. Start watching this video at about 18:45. (Tactical Retreat also works.)

2. After crossing the river, at about 20:00 in the video, instead of proceeding directly to Sacred Stone, climb up the mountain and enter the portal (unlike the fellow who made the video). It takes you to the chapel cellar. Be warned, however, that this breaks the Immaculate Trial quest and you'll never be able to complete it afterwards; however, this gets you books at level 3 instead of 4, which is a better reward.

I can't think of any way to word it more clearly than that.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 30/07/14 09:14 AM.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Thanks for the additional info i had watched the video already and stopped by the 20 minute mark like you said on one of your previous posts, but i guess the instructions are not that clear to someone who didn't get to that point in the main game, I'm kinda dumbfounded because I just jumped over the river using the pyramid (one of my characters is a knight, so he has the str to throw it) and right now the only clear options I have are:

To the north is an area full of traps where some Immaculates keep walking in a queue (they even activate the mines, but never die). This is close to the monument of life.

To the east is Sacred Stone and its prison, a bit down from its entrance is the entrance to the dark forest.

Could you please take a screenshot of that detour or from your map to point the direction? I don't really mind spoilers as in my main game i'm about to go to that direction anyway.

However, have you tried buying some tools to unlock the trapdoor by the chapel in silverglen or do you need a high picklock for that? You could also go to Arhu's house and get his magical unlock spell and use it there or steal a disarm kit (on top of a piece of furniture right in front of Thelyron at his house).

Last edited by kurausu; 30/07/14 11:36 AM.
stranger
stranger
I will not buy any of these silly books.

I
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I
You should buy at least one set. That much seems to be clearly intended.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I've found an alternative method to buy more Skill/Attribute Books. Just hire a new henchman at every lvl-up. As long as you don't remove him from the party he will retain his current lvl. Give him a few barter and charisma trinkets and go buy the books. Then buy them again with your main. Repeat when you lvl-up again. Simple and quick!

R
R
Originally Posted by NimeeAime
I've found an alternative method to buy more Skill/Attribute Books. Just hire a new henchman at every lvl-up. As long as you don't remove him from the party he will retain his current lvl. Give him a few barter and charisma trinkets and go buy the books. Then buy them again with your main. Repeat when you lvl-up again. Simple and quick!

Hi, while I grasp the general idea would you care to elaborate it in steps?

With kind regards,

Rashar

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by Rashar

Hi, while I grasp the general idea would you care to elaborate it in steps?

With kind regards,

Rashar

OK, maybe my post was a bit short and unclear. I wrote it assuming that everybody read the 3 forum pages before it. smile
I was just saying that you don't need to rush at the Teller of Secrets at level 4 or to micromanage a level gap between your party members in order to buy more books. Apparently, the shops restocks every time someone reaches a new level.
Now, let's say your party is level 14 and you didn't buy the books at that level. Go in the Hall of Heroes, trow someone (Madora) out and hire a henchman. That henchman (let's say Claresta) will be level 1 until you dismiss/rehire her. It's how the game works.
Now go at the Teller, buy with Claresta a pair of books, leave the conversation and start it again with another (lvl. 14) character. Buy the books again. Kick out Claresta and take back Madora. Continue your play. At the next level-up, repeat (of course, with another henchman, since rehiring Claresta will make her the same level as you).
As a side note, at this moment you should already have a spare henchman with Barter 7 (5 base + 2 gear: boots, amulet) in order to buy and sell at the base price.

P.S. I'm running GOG 1.0.81 version. I will update later and see if this method still works.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I believe this was fixed as of version 1.0.107.0

Me and my friend just went there after leveling up and teller is not selling any books.
A shame, i wish that they limited to 4 books, at least two player can have 2 books each.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by kurausu
I believe this was fixed as of version 1.0.107.0

Are you saying that she didn't sell you any books? Not even a pair?

This game is weird... I've patched to 1.0.107 last night and I was able to buy 2 sets of books as explained before. I don't know how this function, it may have something to do with hiring/dismissing henchmen. I'm just happy that it does, for me, at least.
It would be good to know if this works for someone else as well.

And no, I didn't install any mods or altered the game in any way.

stranger
stranger
I installed the latest patch 1.0.107, leveled from 21 to 22, and no more books. I think its fixed now finally

D
stranger
stranger
D
Dudes, I make it there with both of my character still being Lev 1. Just avoid as many xp as possible.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I admit I do not fully understand why someone would want to make all fights even easier than they are today. But to everyone his own ...

Regards,
Thorsten

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Regarding money, if you give the Teller gold for free you will increase her attitude permanently, up to a max of 100. That means it will no longer be necessary to invest in Charisma to reduce prices. If you plan on buying many books, it's more than worth it in the long run, since a 15k-20k investment can save you over 100k in gold. It also means that she will give you the best possible prices when you sell stuff. So unload your pricey items on her until she's out of gold, because she'll give you the best deals.

But like Thorsten said, this seems like major overkill...even on Hard mode, the game is easy enough that you don't need to make your characters god-like to get through it. Seems like this would make the game really boring!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard