Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Durmir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hey guys,

I am French, so I use the French translation. I'd like to give you a feedback on the matter, because it obviously needs one...

I think you (Larian Studios) have been hugely scammed by the company you asked the translation to. Here are some points:

1/ There are many things that are simply not translated yet. When I say "many", I mean that you cannot play for more than 30 straight minutes without encountering at least one non-translated sentence.

2/ The translation ripped off most of the humor. That is really a shame...

3/ The translation is often impossible to understand, for it is obviously a "google translate" pile of crap. The sentences make absolutely no sense and you have to think hard to "google-translate" it back in english to understand it.

4/ The people who translated the game obviously didn't play it. At all. The contexts make some translations extremely wrong. The most obvious example is the english work "Key". In French, when you're talking about the item to open doors, it's "clé". When you talk about the keyboard, it's "touche". And of course, they translated the key tab in the inventory (for keys to open doors) as "touche", which is ridiculous. That's the most obvious example, but it's the same song for many other things in the game. When you can speak english, you can find the correct word, but when you don't... And even if you can, you shouldn't have to translate something back to understand the meaning of a word in its context...

Overall, I cannot recommend someone to play the game in French, but I cannot recommend someone who cannot speak english to play it english... I know you lacked of time for many things, but translations, especially for a common language used by many players, should be some kind of priority. I don't know how much you paid the company that translated the game, but I think you should ask your money back. Because it was obviously not worth it.

Cheers

Last edited by Durmir; 30/07/14 10:48 AM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I'm French but I always use English versions of the games I play. I hope they improve the translation, this kind of game is basically ruined without a proper one. In the meantime, if you run into problems and need more info from the English side of things, I'll be glad to help.

addict
addict
actually yes the french translation sucks (the most obvious evidence of it is the translation of Cecil misunderstanding, I can guess the english version 'coz of the play on words, just by reading the french translation). But even if the french translation is crappy, I am glad that we have one because it opens the market to the (many) french players who do not understand english or just do not wanna play in english. I want to finish the game a first time in french just to see but then I will probably switch to english.

and yes there are still part of the game which are not translated yet, personally, I don't give a damn but some people might feel concerned about that

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
apprentice
apprentice
strange

I'm french, and for now except for rare missing dialogs and minor bugs it's functional for me. I speak with absolutely all people I meet and it's 99% good for me. Only some scripted voices between the main characters when you enter somewhere are missing (blank text).

maybe a file corruption ?
If you are on steam, try to check the local data using the dedicated fonction.

Edit : maybe it's because I'm on the steam version ?

Last edited by Zorgi; 31/07/14 11:34 AM.
I
stranger
stranger
I
I second Durmir (although I will be more clement).
There is still lots of improvements to be made on the French translation:
- Some conversation are half-translated (last one I caught is with the Oracle), and others are simply missing.
- Current translations are often clumsy, and sometimes they miss the point as the context is clearly not known or not understood by the translators.

(Note: I'm on the steam version)

T
stranger
stranger
T
GOG version here.
Same feeling here. The french localization is bad, especially if Larian had paid for that.
Blank lines are not file corruption. The french localization file (french.xml) holds blank reference i.e something like that : <content contentuid="unique UID"> </content>. Remove these lines to see the english version. One exemple :
French (Ligne #68) :
<content contentuid="h00c0fad4g384bg4321gb90egeb71dd6d087b"> </content>
English (Line #71) :
<content contentuid="h00c0fad4g384bg4321gb90egeb71dd6d087b">Aahh! Damn you, Hunter! You failed me!</content>
We can't see that ingame. Furthermore there are lines in the french.xml that don't exist in the english' one (old beta leftovers ?). And a lot are missing in french. English.xml holds 20254 (!) lines whereas French.xml has "only" 19362 lines (diff : 892 lines without reference to those blank lines). And last, some sentences are mixed between french and english (wrong translation for the same UID).

For me, french player it's a problem - my english is not as good to enjoy this great game in shakespear language smile

As Durmir said : get your money back guys !

Last edited by To_an; 31/07/14 10:45 AM.
addict
addict
not only the context, but the grammar is also sometimes wrong... such a shame !! (and I noticed grammar mistakes more than once so it is not 1% of the translation which is crappy...)

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Durmir Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
By the way, I'd like to add some other issues that seem common to other translations as well (not specific to French):

- heroes are usually hailed with their wrong gender ("hello, Huntress!" when you have only men in your team for example)

- items translation is pure garbage, the order prefix/base/suffix is a mess (essentialy because this order is true for english but wrong for most other languages)

There are many other things and examples. I suppose in the future there will be fans who will develop an unofficial patch with a decent translation. Meanwhile, if you can speak only French.... I pity you ^^

addict
addict
Ok Larian you definitely got scammed !! The French translation is more or less ok for Cyseal and Luculla but once you've reached Hiberheim this is unadmissilbe, 1/3 of the dialogs are missing !!
So I will finish the game with english version...*

at least when the dialogs were not translated before we had at least the english version of the dialog, now we don't even have it, we have... nothing... blank...

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

stranger
stranger
Actually, since the last update, even in Cyseal, there are French dialogues missing, and not always the useless ones. When my friend and I speak to Esmeralda, the dialogue box is blank except for the lines of my character. Same thing for other non-playable humans or animals, and sometimes, opening the journal doesn't help because it doesn't show the missing lines. Hopefully, this will be fixed as I was told.

addict
addict
yeah at least before you had the lines in english... now you just have a blank

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

M
addict
addict
M
I switched back to English, as translation was many times either bad, wrong or missing.

Support
Support

How is the translation in the most recent update? Specific examples of any remaining issues would be very helpful.

L
stranger
stranger
L
There is a way to change the order prefix/base/suffix for the items? Via translation or via modding?

E
apprentice
apprentice
E
I have nothing to complain. But if I see some issues; I'll post it here (I play tonight and in French)

Link Copied to Clipboard