Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
stranger
stranger
F
Random button in character creation akin to baldur's gate/might & magic/etc,

and a way to turn tutorial messages off (really major turnoff to starting new games for me... having to go thru all these messages again, even joining someones game if they reload, all messages restart)

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Etdashou
Of what I understand they do not plan to add features and improvment. They will fix some bugs and then work on something else to add content on the game if selling continue to go well. In the PCGamer interview nowhere they mentionnend interface improvment. Some stuff could be done to make this game a perfect gem but oh well., the game works.

Right, I know they don't plan to add new features, but I'd think fixing some commonly cited issues with the existing UI wouldn't really be considered anything "new." And from what I'm reading on the forums over the past couple days, the recent patch(es?) are in fact making changes to the UI (e.g. how inventory window locations are displayed on-screen). Anyway, I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't do at least a little more in this area with future patches (e.g. see some of the requests in my previous post in this thread, but there are of course lots of other similar requests on the forums).

Totally agreed the game is a lot of fun, and I'm happy I backed on Kickstarter, but with a little more effort to make existing UI features more usable, it could go from really good to great.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I think D:OS has a long life in front of it with all those MODs I expect will come. Larian has said they will support the toolset. So I expect the game will have a long tail in sales (meaning that sales will not drop rapidly quickly)

I do not expect Larian do all this for free. They have to make a living too.

So if we get a (paid) expansion pack at some point it would only be natural to see improvements to other parts of the game/engine/ui at the same time.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The constant recentering of the camera in combat is annoying. If I shoot an explosive arrow at a bunch of enemies far away, the camera will center on the SHOOTER before shooting the arrow, leaving the actual targets off-screen. I will then have to look at the very convoluted combat log (since explosive arrows set burning, the rolls for everyone are in there and so on) to decipher how much damage I did exactly, instead of just seeing it with my own eyes. The camera also centers on characters whose turn it is. I find this suboptimal. Most of the time I center on the enemies. If I have a melee character, he/she already is where the enemies are most of the battle. If it's a ranged character, I honestly don't really care where exactly he/she is. I only really care about his line of sight to the enemies and his proximity to the enemies. And I find both of these out by just staring at the enemies, not the character. Thus, I constantly find myself WASDing to interrupt the annoying camera auto-movements, which also is pretty annoying.

Originally Posted by Vedros
3. 20% higher zoom out. Seriously why is my face planted to the ground?
This is my biggest grip on the interface, it should be possible to zoom out more (though I'd like 100% more zoom out). Or alternatively, provide the option of an over-shoulder viewpoint like NWN/NWN2 (or Divinity 2 for that matter) which would make more sense for exploration.
Originally Posted by Zukuu
-Option to have all 3 hotbars visible or implement at least a shortcut to move through them (shift+1/+2 or something)
Being able to "stack" the hotbars so all are visible and to move/resize them would be a plus. Especially since they can now cover part of the combat log.
Originally Posted by Zukuu
-Save GUI position. I drag the combat log window down, only to find it reset upon reloading.
Agreed - I would also like to be able to adjust the size of text in the combat log since even small combats can generate dozens of lines. And please condense the damage reports to one line - so rather than saying "X receives 10 points Poison damage"/"X receives 10 points Fire damage"/"X receives 10 points Water damage" show "X receives 30 points damage (10 Poison, 10 Fire, 10 Water)".
Originally Posted by MikeAlpha
NPSc e.g. in Cyseal are shouting the same in short frequency. That nerves BIG time, makes e.g. concentrated reading of dialog texts very difficult.
The frequency seems OK given the context (a crowded marketplace) but more variety in content would be a good thing. I'm getting seriously tired of Gorgombert. wink
Originally Posted by Nanoloque
- Larger texts for descriptions of skills from the hotbar
- Larger texts for the combat log (or at least conversations)
- Larger portraits in the dialogue box
I'd argue for smaller text, but I'm guessing it scales with resolution and I'm playing at 2560x1600. Being able to adjust text size up or down generally would be a definite improvement though. And being able to set a different size for the combat log (which can produce reams of text) would be even better.
Originally Posted by Pimpollo
3- A truenpause button would be great, especially if you have pet pal and can't target a creature or if you want to plan out your tactics before battle
Another important feature - aside from animals, some NPCs (like the King Crab innkeeper) keep moving constantly, making it difficult to select them for conversation.

old hand
old hand
I have three complaints:
1) Loot later in the game is really bad. I can frequenlty buy or make items better than I find; and rather hard fights usually result in pitiful low level loot (i.e, boreas level 5 loot; I find the key to source king chest at level 20 and it has level 8 loot; so on). Personally I think you should be able to find or obtain loot that is better than what you can craft (though enhancing found loot via crafting is a plus) or buy.

2) I cannot get some quest to close and it is not clear at all.

Two examples:

I talked the imp to return to frederick and then the next step of the quest is to make a courage potion but since i already talked him into returning and he left the cave I have no clue where he is to give him the potion.

I managed to get the orc and humans to fight and I think all the orcs are dead but the quest fails to close.
-
I have 3 more open quets like the 3 above
-
3) I have arrived at the temple door and have 12 inert stones (btw only one portal in end of time has opened which seems odd for 12 stones) and the door won't open. THere is no real indication of how many stones I need or where I might find them and the world is fairly big for this sort of sorry you can't finish the game because you might have missed some corner of the map or maybe a secret exit somewhere and there are no clues at all where I should begin searching for this missing stone(s) (no clue how many are missing either).

Meme, if you're going to include spoilers please use the appropriate tag to hide them from public view. Better yet, remove those details and place them in an appropriate thread since they aren't UI issues (either the quests are bugged or you've missed a step in completing them).

V
Vedros Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Singbird
The constant recentering of the camera in combat is annoying. If I shoot an explosive arrow at a bunch of enemies far away, the camera will center on the SHOOTER before shooting the arrow, leaving the actual targets off-screen. I will then have to look at the very convoluted combat log (since explosive arrows set burning, the rolls for everyone are in there and so on) to decipher how much damage I did exactly, instead of just seeing it with my own eyes. The camera also centers on characters whose turn it is. I find this suboptimal. Most of the time I center on the enemies. If I have a melee character, he/she already is where the enemies are most of the battle. If it's a ranged character, I honestly don't really care where exactly he/she is. I only really care about his line of sight to the enemies and his proximity to the enemies. And I find both of these out by just staring at the enemies, not the character. Thus, I constantly find myself WASDing to interrupt the annoying camera auto-movements, which also is pretty annoying.

Good suggestion. I also find the constant centering of the camera in combat very annoying.

I don't mind the camera centering on my party member as much as when it centers on an enemy. Often when an enemy uses a ranged attack I have to WASD (SEDF for me) the camera to see who in my party the ranged attack hits.

I wish centering on enemies in combat and centering on party members in combat could be turned off separately.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Suggestions for new Talents

Jailbreaker
Prerequisites: None
Gives you a bonus point in Lockpicking and you do not need a Lockpick to pick a lock.
Reasoning: Lockpicking is kind of weak right now, especially early game. Taking this talent early allows you to get a jump-start on your Lockpicking character, if you're willing to commit. Extra useful if you actually do wind up in jail somehow.

Mind Over Matter
Prerequisites: None
Gives you 2 bonus points in Telekinesis but you lose a point in Strength.
Reasoning: Mostly for kicks... wondering if anyone would find a use for this one. Telekinesis, after all, is oddly handy at times.

Don't Fear the Reaper
Prerequisites: Witchcraft 5
You cannot die while you have a summon, even if you are reduced to 0 Vitality.
Reasoning: Each other school of magic has a powerful talent for reaching maximum ranks. This would give Witchcraft its own.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 17/07/14 04:28 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Thanks Hassat, that is a nice workaround smile
Man I wish I had the opportunity to have worked on this game. Would have spent evenings and weekends tweaking the inventory and some other junk. So close to greatness but the clunkiness gets in the way frown

My main one is that old (irrelevant) conversations options are either removed entirely or they are moved under another level

<New dialog option>
<new dialog options>
<Old Dialogs>
--------<Who are you>
--------<Tell me about cyseal>
<Exit conversation>

Otherwise it gets hard to see what is new when you go back to talk to someone.

Last edited by tarasis; 17/07/14 07:41 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by kallin
So close to greatness but the clunkiness gets in the way frown

My thoughts exactly - but there are still more patches coming, and the Larian people are no slackers; still hoping we'll see more UI tweaks/improvements soon.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Nanoloque
Conversation system (multiplayer)

- Keep the text above a non-playable or playable character (his lines) onscreen longer or until the player clicks on Continue or selects an answer.
OR
- If both players are close to a character talking, put the text on the usual dialogue box or a similar window.

I am quoting this because it was the most frustrating part about the cooperative mode for me. I took my first foray into it earlier this evening and my coop partner had to read some of the dialog to me so that I wouldn't miss out on what's happening.

V
Vedros Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
V
Identical items that don't stack. Fix please! Many items.. difficult to organize... many clicks... Items need to stack if they are the same.. item.

That Trap disarm tool everyone gets at the beginning of the game.. is the devil.

journeyman
journeyman
Identical items that don't stack. Fix please! Many items.. difficult to organize... many clicks... Items need to stack if they are the same.. item.

That Trap disarm tool everyone gets at the beginning of the game.. is the devil.

It's not that they don't stack, it's just that it's physically impossible to have more than 2 of them on a single stack (I know, it's a game and so on...)

But if you have certain items that you think must stack, you can always send a mail to supportdos@larian.com, you'll probably get an answer pretty fast smile [please keep the 2 week holiday in mind]

apprentice
apprentice
Please, a Ctrl+wheel mouse for switching from different skill bar.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Singbird

Good suggestion. I also find the constant centering of the camera in combat very annoying.

I don't mind the camera centering on my party member as much as when it centers on an enemy. Often when an enemy uses a ranged attack I have to WASD (SEDF for me) the camera to see who in my party the ranged attack hits.

I wish centering on enemies in combat and centering on party members in combat could be turned off separately.

In a future update, you will be able to turn the dynamic combat camera off in the config. Don't expect it in the following 2 week though, as there is a 2 week holiday at Larian Studios smile

I'd quite like to neuter the active mini map from the top right of the screen. It kind of makes sense to have it, but I dearly want to turn off that if I hover the mouse over one of the dots that it tells me the enemy/character names. There is no way my character should be able to know those having never met the person before. (Honestly I'd rather it didn't show me where monsters/animals/people are)

apprentice
apprentice
  • Golgorod mentioned this but instead of just minimized the option should be "mute sound if not in focus" so if the game is not in focus at all, sound would be muted.
  • (Silverglen) if you decline Brandon's quest, should be an option to either take it later or have an alternate way to gain Tenebrium training.
  • Should be a way to mark which player character (in single player) is the 'main', the game seems to flip between them more or less at random.
  • There don't seem to be any Marksman blank skillbooks, assuming this is by design and not a bug I'd like to recommend them to be added.
  • Since ESC doesn't seem to truly pause the game, I'd like to see an option that makes it a true pause. (At least in Single Player).
  • Gold, Tools and other items should be usable even if they are in a container (backpack etc).
  • As has been said, hotkeys to change hotbar pages would be very nice.
  • More versatile camera (zoom farther out, zoom farther in). I also find the 'locked' rotation for the main campaign to be kind of strange and it makes it really difficult to spot wall buttons and objects.
  • Like to see an option that has some kind of confirmation window appear if you click on an 'orange/red' item by mistake. (I've had to hit 'quick load' many times when instead of clicking and talking on someone, they moved and I stole something instead.)
  • There should be some indicator for when weapons/armor are at degrading levels (I know it highlights red if it's close to gone), maybe a light yellow at 75%, orange at 50%...
  • There should also be an indicator (maybe tinting the portraits) if a party member no longer has weapon/armor pieces equipped due to a debuff.
  • I'd like to see a new tab in the Journal where the player can write their own notes.

S
stranger
stranger
S
@OP: It would be a lot of work, but perhaps you could consolidate all of these suggestions into your original post. That would make it a lot easier to see what has been added.

Now my own two cents:

There are SO MANY empty containers, exploring a new area feels like a chore with how long it takes to open them, especially when your character is slowly moving around a large pile of boxes. It would be nice if they could either -
A. Automatically add "empty" to the item caption for all empty containers once a character is within a certain range
B. The first time an empty container is clicked on, rather than opening the container's dialog window, simply add "empty" to that container's item caption.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard