#531819 29/07/14 11:59 PM
A
Aldric Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Hello

Looking for guidance on how to place small patches of water on my farmland. Also, if possible how to place a small patch of poison down in my crypt area. I know how to put a poison cloud but haven't found a poison surface that my heroes have to take action to remove the poison to move forward. Thank you.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
In the ai panel, there's a little drop down box that allows you to "paint" your terrain with stuff like smoke, blood, water, etc. Hope that's what you're looking for

A
Aldric Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
That was helpful. I didn't realize the AI grid had those additional options.

Thanks docalypse.

stranger
stranger
In a related question, let's say I have a hole I want to fill with water (not particularly AI water, just any water type allowed). Presumably I'd just have to make the surface look like water and not actually fill it. I'm trying to add water squares but it's a size that can't be filled by just one square, and I'd have to utilize 4 but it'd stick out the side of terrain.

Is there any way to 'paint' over the top of the hole, or utilize squares (resizing isn't a thing, right) in a different way other than placing them side-by-side?

In an unrelated question and to not make a new thread, is there any way to create caves with terrain? Like, cut into a mountain but still have terrain above that juts out?

Last edited by Vivikain; 30/07/14 04:13 PM.

"Sorrow - How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."
-Vivi
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Try creating a new terrain (try same size terrain as your mainland, or you can make multiple smaller terrains to fill certain spots), use NAT_water bases from resource manager.

Create the "holes" you want and put in the water terrain, move it down slightly and you have your water holes.

Note that when you generate AI, your character will walk on water. use the ai paint "block" to disallow your characters to walk on water. Unless you're making a Jesus mod, then thats cool I guess.

old hand
old hand
As far as ive seen through the tutorials, as one way of doing it by a dev, is :

Put water surface asset under the ground, as a square of material you lowered a bit under the ground. Then use height map lower terrain tool to lower the specific shape or a spot of the ground bellow that. That will make water surface seemingly fill the space you "dugged out" or actually lowered beneath height of the water surface.

Of course you need to choose appropriate water surface type, so its a standing still water or waving or rushing one.

- I think you can actually increase or change the size of the water surfaces, just as you can manipulate other tool or assets sizes. But im not sure about it or how much can you change those pieces without distorting something in them.

all that and some other pieces in this video.
Its not on Larian youtube channel, btw.

http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios/c/4542850

16:00

- its done by using the NAT_Water_Lake from the root templates, here. Not sure about the other water surface templates.

Last edited by Hiver; 30/07/14 04:52 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Hiver
As far as ive seen through the tutorials, as one way of doing it by a dev, is :

Put water surface asset under the ground, as a square of material you lowered a bit under the ground. Then use height map lower terrain tool to lower the specific shape or a spot of the ground bellow that. Have water surface seemingly fill the space you "dugged out" or actually lowered beneath height of the water surface.

Of course you need to choose appropriate water surface type, so its a standing still water or waving or rushing one.

- I think you can actually increase or change the size of the water surfaces, just as you can manipulate other tool or assets sizes.

But im not sure about it or how much can you change those pieces without distorting something in them.

- all that and some other pieces in this video.
Its not on Larian youtube channel, btw.

http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios/c/4542850

Thanks. First question involves the reshaping. What's the hotkey he uses in the video to increase the radius of paint/terrain/etc.?

Second, in terms of water squares (if you can't resize them): If there's an overlap, there will be a graphical glitch/unsynced water. The surface I want to cover needs a resize or to overlap waters in order to fit (I didn't plan for this limitation, haha). It looks like I'd need 4 of the squares if I can't resize them.

-Edit- I see how to raise water now, thanks. Secondary hidden terrain to raise (or just a custom terrain size, lol). Simple. Thanks!

Last edited by Vivikain; 30/07/14 04:52 PM.

-Vivi
old hand
old hand
I think it might be the brackets.

][

Atleast thats the word i got about it in other thread. I had to reinstall my editor so i havent yet tried myself.

I would like to know myself since im planning a bit bigger map with a lot of streams and rivers and canyons and cliffs, generally similar to eastern parts of Luculla Forest and Phantom forest areas only more rugged.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Hiver
I think it might be the brackets.

][

Atleast thats the word i got about it in other thread. I had to reinstall my editor so i havent yet tried myself.

I would like to know myself since im planning a bit bigger map with a lot of streams and rivers and canyons and cliffs, generally similar to eastern parts of Luculla Forest and Phantom forest areas only more rugged.

Yep, perfect. Thanks!

Regarding the custom size squares, it seems a quick workaround is just a new terrain at whatever size fits (as doc said, it just didn't register fast enough -_-; thanks doc!). In my case, 15x15 worked. Though I'm not sure why the blood water has a green reflection (can't recall if that's part of it or the mountain affecting it..). And as doc said, make sure to AI Paint block it. Is there a way to update the AI grid without having to copy/paste every time? It keeps saving outside of the levels folder frown..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Vivikain; 30/07/14 05:16 PM.

-Vivi
old hand
old hand
It would be nice if we could bend those templates so they would follow the curves of the terrain.

Just makes me appreciate the skills devs used to make the game world environments all the more.
Now i load a game and just look at all that finesse, how some stones and trees and canopies above create some specific place, or an atmosphere, or how smaller assets combined just so create those running streams around Hunters Edge,
- while i swing my sword behind me with one hand and cast some elemental magic absentmindedly, as some louts sometimes try to disturb my enjoyment of the Original Sin environments or smaller pieces of nature architecture, design and world building.

Plus, i gave in and turned on 360 camera and i cant notice any loss in overall quality of environments.

Last edited by Hiver; 30/07/14 05:16 PM.
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Try playing with your atmosphere settings (probably diffuse light settings) to get rid of that green reflection. If that doesn't work, it's part of the diffuse material map which could possibly be solved with the materials editor- but that materials editor is way beyond me. Norbyte has a small tutorial on it that you can access through the wiki, but it wasn't enough for me to fully grasp it.

Edit: ai save location is a bug. Have to manually move that file every time you make changes until it's fixed.

Last edited by docalypse; 30/07/14 05:45 PM.
stranger
stranger
Since this is still about surfaces, thought I'd ask again real quick. Anyone know if there is a way to make tunnels, perhaps out of terrain surfaces? The limitation with terrain exists that you can't "cut out" a section, at least from what I've seen. The cut tool removes terrain altogether. And if you're inside terrain, it's hollow. I haven't touched anything of the engine except terrain (making a mountain or something), so would like to know if anyone has figured this out. I need a ceiling! Thanks!

Last edited by Vivikain; 31/07/14 12:35 AM.

-Vivi
C
stranger
stranger
C
If you mean tunnel as in actually traveling through the ground, you could make a second terrain and place that over the dug out hole. I don't know how this would work with the AI seeder though. If you mean actual roofs for like houses, I believe those work similarly to wall placement. There's a tutorial video about it

-ck06
ck06 #532960 31/07/14 01:45 AM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ck06
If you mean tunnel as in actually traveling through the ground, you could make a second terrain and place that over the dug out hole. I don't know how this would work with the AI seeder though. If you mean actual roofs for like houses, I believe those work similarly to wall placement. There's a tutorial video about it

I just mean like..a quick cave on the side of a mountain or big enough indent to look like one. For some reason you can only cut terrain oer the entire vertical axis, but can't do it per pixel independent of that axis.

I just want to select a portion of terrain and get rid of it. Can't figure it out, if it's possible.

-Vivi
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Vivikain

I just mean like..a quick cave on the side of a mountain or big enough indent to look like one. For some reason you can only cut terrain oer the entire vertical axis, but can't do it per pixel independent of that axis.

I just want to select a portion of terrain and get rid of it. Can't figure it out, if it's possible.

If you look at the D:OS campaign you will notice that Larian does this nowhere, so I would guess it is not possible. You can trick the player by doing a second terrain and connecting it with stairs or other walkable stuff and sorrounded it by mesh geometry. And then building cave walls and "occlusion" (via AI tab)

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
Originally Posted by Vivikain

If you look at the D:OS campaign you will notice that Larian does this nowhere, so I would guess it is not possible. You can trick the player by doing a second terrain and connecting it with stairs or other walkable stuff and sorrounded it by mesh geometry. And then building cave walls and "occlusion" (via AI tab)

Yeah seems odd. Hmm. Is there an invisible terrain I can use? If nothing else, I'll make a bridge xD.

Seems using a separate terrain does nothing for the AI grid. Even if you cut a terrain, the AI grid will generate based on the original size terrain square created and be combined with the other terrains anyway. Hmm...still testing feasibility.

I can't find a way to create what I'm trying to accomplish, which is to have a bridge above an area you can already walk on. Since the AI grid is rendered vertically despite the height, and rendered in the original size square despite cutting, it doesn't seem possible. Will continue to test though, I guess frown.

-Edit-
Also wondering if there's a way to have water terrain un-traversable until made into ice, become a bridge if frozen, then disappear back to water (probably not possible)

Last edited by Vivikain; 31/07/14 04:13 AM.

-Vivi
old hand
old hand
I would think the easiest way to make a tunnel or a cave in, is to:

- lower terrain in appropriate shape and size.
- make sure the floor of it is ok.
- make a roof over it by using different appropriate templates, like rocks or similar.
- paint it over with trees and stuff to hide as needed.

Either that or making a small separate map and linking it to the bigger one.

- btw, is Ai grid now working alright?
Or do we still need to move the file manually?

Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Still bugged, tested this morning. Larian guys are on vacation, which they deserve.

old hand
old hand
Ok, so copy the Ai folder or file to /mods/(your mod name)/levels/(your level name)/Ai folder then, from the wrong - main game/mods/(your mod name)/Ai - folder.

- roguelike fix.

Last edited by Hiver; 31/07/14 08:59 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard