Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Throughout Rivellon skills are passed from Teacher to Pupil with the help of Skillbooks, wondrous tomes of power. But some choose to not spread their knowledge, and don't offer Skillbooks for certain skills.

This status quo is about to be changed... For better or worse, only time can tell.

This mod makes it so that Skillbooks that were only sold once (or not at all) are now purchasable at all vendors that sell that type of skillbook.

For example, without the mod, the Walk in Shadows skillbook is only buyable via the Elemental mid-to-late game, who only sells a single copy of that skillbook. With this mod...

[Linked Image]

It's available at any Scoundrel Skillbook vendor (and can be found randomly throughout the world as part of a random drop).

Download link-
Current version (with Dust Devil added in)-
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ecs0nvybyc2lkwt/PurchasableSkillbooksV2.zip

Installation-
Merge the contents of the Zip file into the corresponding folders in your Divinity - Original Sin installation location.

If you just wish to use the functionality of this mod, transfer the PurchasableSkillbooks.txt file from the Stats/Generated/Links/ folder to your desired mod's Stats/Generated/Links/ folder.

Compatability-
This mod should be compatible with everything. This only changes existing Skillbooks within the game. Notably, this should be compatible with my Infinite Skillbooks mod if they're both in effect.

Full list of Purchasable Skillbooks via this mod-

Note- This mod also makes it so that the specified Skillbooks aren't unique (some of them were previously). There might be unintended effects...

Note on the formatting- this lists the name of the skill, followed by the average level required to actually find/buy it. By convention, this average level is two levels lower than the level necessary to actually use the skill (like every other Skillbook).
Code
FIRE SKILLS
Burning Blaze- Level 5
Immolation- Level 11
Lava Core- Level 18

WATER SKILLS
Ice Wall- Level 8
Mass Slow- Level 14
Hail Attack- Level 16

EARTH SKILLS
Boulder Dash- Level 2
Petrifying Touch - Level 5
Magical Poison Arrow - Level 5
Summon Wolf - Level 8
Earthquake - Level 16

AIR SKILLS
Lightning Bolt - Level 8
Make Invisible - Level 14
Storm - Level 16

WITCHCRAFT SKILLS
Create Undead Warrior - Level 5
Finger of Death - Level 14
Invulnerability - Level 16

WARRIOR SKILLS
Dust Devil - Level 1 (I had to add in a new skillbook for this skill, since it didn't have one)
Whirlwind - Level 5
Phoenix Dive - Level 5
Terror - Level 14

RANGER SKILLS
Barrage - Level 5

ROGUE SKILLS
Walk in Shadows - Level 1
Eye Gouge - Level 5

Edit:
Updated to version 2, which now includes a Dust Devil skillbook. There might be unintended side effects with skills getting mixed up, since the new addition technically overwrites the existing skill to add a Skillbook entry for it.

Last edited by Rhidian; 30/07/14 07:42 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Bravo Rhidian! This is the most wanted mod that people have been asking for. You've just won yourself a whole heap of friends smile

Well done!

S
stranger
stranger
S
Brilliant smile

Few questions.

-When you reload/level up I presume all skillbooks are restocked?
-If I play with a friend does he have to have the mod also?
-Yes is it current savegame compatible?
-Does it include ALL skills books for that specific school?

Big Thanks.

Last edited by Shiu; 30/07/14 12:00 PM.
Tva Offline
stranger
stranger
Is it savegame compatible or I need to start a new game?

stranger
stranger
Please include Dust Devil skill for added epicness.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Originally Posted by Tva
Is it savegame compatible or I need to start a new game?

Mods that don't corrupt the Main folder (ones that don't prevent multiplayer) are inherently incompatible. The way around this (getting it to work with your I progress saves) involves meta.lsb swapping of save games as I described in my other thread Main Campaign Modding.

This mod should be making the originally unsellable Skillbooks sell like any other Skillbook. Which means they will populate a vendors inventory for the first time you talk to a vendor each level (note the minimum level to even be able to see it though).

Was Dust Devil a rare book? It's possible I missed one, since the Links file I looked through is cluttered. I'll look into that later when I'm able to.

Edit:
For your edited questions-
I actually don't know how mods work with multiplayer. I presume all players need it (those are the anecdotes I've been hearing).

All other Skillbooks not touched by this mod are as purchasable as they have always been. Vendors will eventually sell any book within their respective schools; you just need the appropriate level to see the higher level books.

Edit #2:
If your current playthrough uses another mod, then all you would need to do is move the PurchasableSkillbooks.txt from my mods Public/(Mod Name)/Stats/Generated/Links/ folder to the corresponding Links folder for the mod you're using.

Last edited by Rhidian; 30/07/14 12:38 PM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rhidian
Was Dust Devil a rare book? It's possible I missed one, since the Links file I looked through is cluttered. I'll look into that later when I'm able to.

As far as I know Dust devil can only be obtained at the start of the game through character creation (or a savegame editor). The skillbook is not present in the game world nor any warrior vendor sells it. Maybe the skillbook itself doesn't even exist in the Divinity Engine Editor, we'll see.

Last edited by Magus; 30/07/14 12:58 PM.
old hand
old hand
Dust devil sells but rarely, thats true.
Ive bought it a few times in different playthroughs.

There are a few spells that seem to appear very rarely like that.
But this should take care of that completely.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
After looking through the Main Stats folder, I now know why the Dust Devil skillbook cannot be found.
1) The skill in SkillData.txt doesn't have a Skillbook entry listed for it
2) There is no Dust Devil (or WhirlwindStart) object in the RootTemplates
3) There is nothing in the Links folder to link the nonexistent Skillbook entry to the nonexistent Dust Devil Skillbook RootTemplate. This is why I didn't see it when I was going through the Links txt file; it's not there in the first place.

This leads me to the conclusion that Dust Devil is the only skill in the game only obtainable via Character Creation.

Which means that to fix it, I'm going to have to create my own Dust Devil skillbook object and link it properly. The potential issue I see is that the original Dust Devil entry itself doesn't list a Skillbook data, which will probably mean that I'll have to create a near-identical copy of the skill and have my Skillbook point to that instead.

stranger
stranger
This is what I feared. It looks like devs forgot about Dust Devil altogether. Thanks for the info though.

old hand
old hand
Shrug. I bought it a few times anyway. smile (I think)
Although, i probably restarted the game thirty times by now, including all the beta repeated starts, of course.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Since I fully expect Larian to fix the Dust Devil Skillbook sometime in the future (eventually), I'm going down the route of adding a Skillbook entry to the existing Dust Devil skill. That being said, this route may have unintended side effects (like Skills getting mixed up in their effects); I didn't see this in my test run with this new version of the mod, but it's happened to others before when the SkillData entries were overwritten.

New version with a Dust Devil Skillbook added in is here-

I also noticed in my test run that Phoenix Dive appeared at Aureus for my Level 2 party, so I'm probably mistaken about the minimum level thing to some degree.

old hand
old hand
There is simply too few skills for the game as it is, so they had to separate them into specific level tiers. I think only adding more, specifically the various smaller versions of the spells already in, would nicely fill up the skill tree without overblowing everything out of proportion more then it already is.

Or could be seen as, at higher levels certainly, due to all of the super high fantasy epic angle of the setting and the story itself.

D
stranger
stranger
D
This might be an odd request, but is it possible for this to add Boulder-Dash as a spellbook? Currently boulder-dash is impossible to get as a spellbook, only boulder-bash. Boulder-dash however is able to be gotten as a scroll, but if you try to make it into a skillbook it turns into a boulder-bash skillbook. Both abilities are completely different almost, but earth really lacks that high end AoE that won't cause madora/jahan to leave (Earthquake I'm looking at you).

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
When you say Boulder Dash is impossible to get, do you mean with my mod active? It should be one of the Skillbooks that my mod makes purchasable (I listed it in the first post).

D
stranger
stranger
D
When you say Boulder Dash is impossible to get, do you mean with my mod active? It should be one of the Skillbooks that my mod makes purchasable (I listed it in the first post).

Oh! Derp on me, I completely missed over it. Thanks laugh

D
stranger
stranger
D
Since I fully expect Larian to fix the Dust Devil Skillbook sometime in the future (eventually), I'm going down the route of adding a Skillbook entry to the existing Dust Devil skill. That being said, this route may have unintended side effects (like Skills getting mixed up in their effects); I didn't see this in my test run with this new version of the mod, but it's happened to others before when the SkillData entries were overwritten.

New version with a Dust Devil Skillbook added in is here-

I also noticed in my test run that Phoenix Dive appeared at Aureus for my Level 2 party, so I'm probably mistaken about the minimum level thing to some degree.

I've been messing around with the mod, and I really like it so far! But... the skill messup happens quite a lot. It seems like if you start the game with dust devil it happens immediately, and if you load a save with someone who has dust devil (I think madora starts with it?) It will also mess up. It is amusing though, since fire-fly becomes lava-core despite still costing the same as firefly. And the summoners at the start summon the wrong enemies instead of the low level skeletons (Cause their skill got messed up?) and summon burning skeletons of death (Guessing it flipped with the fire totem).

Do you have a version without dust devil? Honestly I can go without to avoid this bug even if it is funny at times.

R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
ouch

The Dust Devil-less version is the old version listed in the first post. You can also just delete all of the DustBook files from within the Stats folder of the existing mod.

I suppose this means that I should go the Psuedo-Dust Devil route then.

Hellz to the yeah. Thanks, Rhidian.

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."
R
Rhidian Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
I have replaced the Version2 of this mod with one that uses a Psuedo-Dust Devil instead of overwriting the old one.

The Psuedo-Dust Devil is basically the same as the normal (except it has a Skillbook entry), it just uses a different skillID. Character creation and the Skillbook have been changed so that they point to this psuedo-dust devil instead.

The link for Version 2 in the opening post works to download this updated version.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard