Next Thread
Print Thread
#512244 07/07/14 07:51 PM
virumor Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I saw this mentioned by Lar in an interview with Eurogamer:

"Nobody believes us but we really don't have anything planned. This was all in for us. This was part of our plan when we started to go independent, that we'd make the biggest RPG we could with what we had in terms of money, and then we'll see what comes out of it.

"So we went all in. We have to pay back our debts now, because we made a lot of them. It looks like that's going to happen. And then we will see. But for sure we will make a big fuss of whatever it is when we announce it."

Vincke then said he plans to try to obtain the license for a mystery role-playing franchise - but stopped short of saying what it was.

"There was a certain license we tried to get, but they haven't replied to us," he said. "Maybe now they will reply to us! I'm not going to tell you, because that will ruin the chances of me getting it.

"We asked them a couple of months ago, so we'll ask them again now. Maybe they'll be interested. It's in the RPG space, that's for sure.

"If they refuse to answer this time I'm going to put it in the press and then hopefully something will happen. Or I'll launch a Kickstarter and say, this is the game we want to make, but we don't have the license yet. But maybe we can get it this way."

Could this license be Dark Eye? I would really love a sequel to Drakensang: River of Time by Larian.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by virumor
I saw this mentioned by Lar in an interview with Eurogamer:

"Nobody believes us but we really don't have anything planned. This was all in for us. This was part of our plan when we started to go independent, that we'd make the biggest RPG we could with what we had in terms of money, and then we'll see what comes out of it.

"So we went all in. We have to pay back our debts now, because we made a lot of them. It looks like that's going to happen. And then we will see. But for sure we will make a big fuss of whatever it is when we announce it."

Vincke then said he plans to try to obtain the license for a mystery role-playing franchise - but stopped short of saying what it was.

"There was a certain license we tried to get, but they haven't replied to us," he said. "Maybe now they will reply to us! I'm not going to tell you, because that will ruin the chances of me getting it.

"We asked them a couple of months ago, so we'll ask them again now. Maybe they'll be interested. It's in the RPG space, that's for sure.

"If they refuse to answer this time I'm going to put it in the press and then hopefully something will happen. Or I'll launch a Kickstarter and say, this is the game we want to make, but we don't have the license yet. But maybe we can get it this way."

Could this license be Dark Eye? I would really love a sequel to Drakensang: River of Time by Larian.

Maybe. I'd like that as I really liked River of Time (except for the clunky combat).

However, considering that Daedalic (Blackguards) and Noumena Studios / Kalypso (TDE: Demonicon) both have recently made games with TDE, I'd think Larian wouldn't have that much trouble getting it... Or maybe that makes it harder, I'm far from an expert on how this licensing stuff works. Unless they're actually trying to get the Drakensang IP from Bigpoint as well, but considering that the River of Time sold so poorly that Radon Labs went bankrupt, I'm not sure that Larian would be that interested in it.

Moreover, The Dark Eye isn't even all that popular in the US (or anywhere outside of Germany AFAIK) , I'm inclined to think it's something else. D&D?

I don't know, but if they make an RPG with gameplay similar to D:OS (tatctical turn-based) I'm definitely interested, no matter the setting. But I'd love if it's something sci-fi as they're aren't nearly enough Sci-fi cRPGs out there. Or steampunk or anything other than good ole medieval fantasy.

Last edited by daveyd; 15/07/14 02:31 PM.
stranger
stranger
Well I am big fan of Dark Eye as well as Divinity world, I do not see why Larian needs new fantasy world when they already have one, but it would not be bad if they do get TDE, one more good rpg for us players, still TDE series has not be ruined by changing dev studios, unlike D&D which has become a farse, so betweed TDE and D&D I would go TDE any time.

ps: what i wrote does not rly make sense to me.

veteran
veteran
I believe I've read somewhere on this forum or on Lar's blog that they will once make
"a RPG who dwarfs them all" ...
(or something like that ?)

But I don't know if they mean "Divinity :Original Sin" ?
(thinking of that RPG that dwarfs them all !)

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes, he did & looking back I think the funds raised from the sales of Dragon Commander and Original Sin would fund this 'RPG to dwarf them all'. If this next uber-RPG is Divinity 3 or not or something completley new I do not know but I have a feeling Larian will make some sort of statement about their next project(s) in the coming few months.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

virumor Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The more Dark Eye games, the better in my book.

A
veteran
veteran
A
I think that this would be great - TDE games by Larian - but I tend to believe that they are striving for something even bigger : Ultima.

But TDE games made by Larian ... A circle would get closes ... as we say here ...

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard