Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Although I haven't beaten the game yet I am playing it through on hard (please don't suggest otherwise). Nevertheless I find myself stuck unable to fight the party at the lighthouse.

My composition includes an elemental wizard and a marksman + the other two. I've used telekinesis to move the oil barrels closer to the ghoul, poison cloud arrows detonated by fire spells but I'm always overwhelmed by revived pets or the ghoul simply outright teleporting in and wrecking my party. Last time I attempted it, even the walking bomb skeleton didn't move and that didn't even help. I've positioned my ranged characters as well as I could behind the tank as well.

Rather frustrating at this point and I'm out of ideas. My characters are all lvl 4 as well. What am I not considering?

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Have you considered switching to an easier difficulty?

Alternately, there are probably some enemies and quests you missed - you can get some XP and level up.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Are you sure? I've been down the beach by orcs, I've gone north and east but everything there is lvl 5 and up. I'm pretty sure I've been thorough with the town including quests from elf and clearing the underground tunnel.

I suppose if I convince myself not to simply walk away from the game I might change the difficulty, but honestly it feels like a cheat to do so.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
You have a marksman in your party - attack the bomb skeleton with an arrow in your first turn. The skeleton will explode and do pretty damage to other oponnents.

Wolves do poison damage. As a marksman, you should also have a spider summon. It is great as a tank since it is immune to poison.

Which spells does your wizard have? You should try to blind/freeze/petrify the ghoul for a few turns. Madora has knockdown spell -> great to take out a wolf for a few turns.

A few tips: stay in the fight as far away from the mobs a possible. Attack from the distance. Give Madora an armour boost.

stranger
stranger
I had some difficulty to kill the ghoul as well, i solved this out by using Jahan's teleport ability, teleport the ghoul close to close-combat style characters and kill it first!!

Cheers!

Last edited by Arakatak; 01/08/14 06:29 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Hard fight because the ghoul is borderline cheesing the party with its bugged move "wolf portal". Some tips that may help:

As one stated previously, take out the skelly bomb first. For better efficiency, it's advisable to do so before battle engage, with a stealth character. A flame arrow between the archer and the oil/ooze barrel can trigger a chain reaction taking out the 2 archer and the skelly bomb as well as damaging one wolf.

Abuse the 2 oil barrel near the lighthouse wall. The torch in the area can set alight the oil from a broken barrel. A right placed teleport on either oil barrel can easily kill 1 wolf and damage the ghoul and another wolf.

If a wolf is dead, the ghoul will "waste" a turn reviving it. However if no wolf is dead during its turn, the ghoul will then do its wolf portal cheese combo, which is almost a guaranteed death for any character in hard difficulty.

Stack up poison res.

Engage the ghoul in melee range to prevent it from using its teleport move.

The revived wolf hit stronger and tank more. Its preferable to stun them and kill them last. If you want to kill them fast, avoid physical damage as they bleed poison which heal them. Despite the rain, any fire move is highly effective (flare, midnight oil etc...)

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Thanks for the replies! smile

@Mugu - how would a stealth character get to the skelly bomb? My first try at the game was with a rogue but I couldn't seem to ever get into position in battle without getting revealed a mile away and I switched. Is invisibility a necessity - it doesn't appear to last long enough to move around map.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
You shouldn't try to take out the skellybomb with a melee character - you'll get caught in the explosion.
I do recall that you can stealth to right behind the boss himself.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
With sneak 5, I remember I was able to go to the firing spot. The wolf are strangely not perceptive (very low detection cone).

Other solution is to do it with scoundrel skill "walk in the shadow" or with an invisibility potion. Either way, it lasts 5 turn which translate in at least 30 second of invisibility. This is plenty to either fire or go through the cone detection area to a safe firing area where you can sneak for as long as you need. After the initial hit, use tactical retreat skill or if you can, sneak again.

If not possible, the opening with the oil barrel teleport is just as good because the burning oil generate smoke , hiding you from their archer. You can't kill them instantly as the previous solution but they won't be able to fire at you on their first turn if you position yourself well. Then, they will move to a tiny spot where there is no smoke and will likely sitting near the skelly bomb due to the artificial bottleneck.

Either way, It should be easy to get rid of them.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
One last question if I may. I have Loremaster @ lvl 3 but I'm not getting detailed info on enemies...still needs more investment?

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Level 5 bring elemental resistance information.
Level 4 should be action point or maybe armor or damage information.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I just got to this point. You won't hit level 5 (which will help immensely) unless you get some more exploration XP, which you can do around Cyseal safely just outside the walls to the north and east, for example.

S
S
  • Use summons - fire elemental works wonders.
  • Make sure you set everything on fire.
  • Have your tank stand in fire / electricity so that if the boss does the warp attack, it sets itself on fire / stuns itself.
  • Taking out the archers & bomb is far more important than the wolves.
  • Opening with a small fireball will wreck a lot of the adds
  • Buy a few scrolls from vendors

But yes: the lighthouse fight is one of the hardest in-game at the level you reach it.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
o.o wow guys I did it. I actually did it on the next try. Thank you all. I did end up using a teleportation scroll as part of the solution. And lucked out on skelly bomb walking to the right spot. (Am I out of luck vendor buying as I've leveled and my only solution is to craft the teleportation skillbook to learn it?)

Going to keep reading through old posts in case these have been answered elsewhere -

1) Is speed investment more important than constitution and perception for having enough ap points each turn ( i feel starved atm)?

2) Are str/dex more important than bows/two arms/ etc for damage?

3) More skills into school of magic increase magic damage?

Last edited by please55; 02/08/14 01:52 PM.
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by please55

1) Is speed investment more important than constitution and perception for having enough ap points each turn ( i feel starved atm)?

Perception determines your APS during the very first turn. Speed determines your recovery APs during subsequent turns. Constitution determines the maximum APs during one turn you can have. So, if your speed allows for 12 recovery APs and your constitution limits your APs to 10, then 10 APs is what you get. The best solution would be to mouse over APs in the character inventory screen and look on how much recovery APs and maximum APs you have. However, my guess would be that at the beginning of the game your maximum limit of APs due to constitution is not reached and it is indeed speed which you should improve.

2) Are str/dex more important than bows/two arms/ etc for damage?

Str/dex determine your hit chances for strength and dex based weapons. The damage is increased by the weapons and by the skills (two-handed/one-handed/bows or something like that)

3) More skills into school of magic increase magic damage?

No, skills into school of magic increase the number of spells you can learn of this particular school and reduce the AP costs for higher-level spells. Pump intelligence in order to increase damage output.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Teleportation skill book is randomly available for sale whatever your level. Check the vendor at each level up for a chance to buy it. Crafting is another solution but require crafting 5 and is not really worth it cost wise for a common level 1 spell.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Grats! Did you use teleportation on the skelly bomb itself? It usually does enough damage to kill them outright, and its fun to watch!

I had a boss fight recently where on my 8th attempt a well placed Smokescreen Arrow made all the difference. A lowly smokescreen arrow... good times.

P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Well it seems I'm more of a noob than I imagined. Before even playing the game I had looked up a few mods and had installed and forgotten about the Source Difficulty 1.09.

No wonder I was getting wrecked - I was playing the game for the first time, with it on, on hard difficulty.

By chance I decided to start over and create a new profile so the mod wasn't activated (still playing it on default hard). Went much better. Default hard isn't too much of a challenge after you get past early level so I'll definitely go back to the mod on my second playthrough.

Just noticed that this morning. Still lots was learned here.

Thanks!

K
stranger
stranger
K
This fight is definitely cheesy thanks to it's completely filled with bugs and bad design spelljump.

Try to summon a fire elemental right next to the barrels and put them on fire - the wolves will walk to him and the bomberboy will explose on his way right near the skeletons.

If you can't do that then teleport the ghoul next to your party BEFORE using the fire.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C

By chance I decided to start over and create a new profile so the mod wasn't activated (still playing it on default hard). Went much better. Default hard isn't too much of a challenge after you get past early level so I'll definitely go back to the mod on my second playthrough.
Hey I have 2 questions.. why use a mod that make your game harder on your first play through and did you manage to overcome your struggle at the Lighthouse on your second play through?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard