Print Thread
#535699 02/08/14 11:53 PM
D
DDK Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I'd like to start a playthrough with two lone wolves, one who focuses on Fire/Water & the other Air/Earth. The problem I'm mostly seeing with this is that I know there are some bosses and mobs that can only really be hurt by non-magical means.

I really don't want to build a "battle mage" style character as part of the reasoning for doing this is to avoid spreading my points/talents/abilities too thin. Is there any way to build around this issue that doesn't require putting a ton of points into physical weapon stats/skills?

stranger
stranger
You can use summons if needed, buff them like crazy and let em do the work for you (at least this worked for me if needed till now), otherwise you can get some needed points into dexterity on one of your guys to use a crossbow (or you store some equip and use it if needed): buff his damage, stun/blind/freeze/knock down your target and become a sniper.

I highly recommend putting some points into hexes as well, good buffs and skeletons!

Last edited by Turbo Torsten; 03/08/14 12:10 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Note that in Lone Wolf, you get a lot of points, enough to max more than 2 schools. Even assuming you get stuff like crafting/blacksmithing and some random points, it's very easy and highly recommended to have all schools at 1 or 2(depends on the school) to get various early buffs:

Witchcraft: Oath of Desecration, Blind, Absorb the Elements(need lvl 2 to remove AP penalty)
Air: Teleportation, Blitzbolt, Become Air(lvl 2), Invisibility(lvl 2, mostly useful for stealing stuff and doing the sneak stuff without actually sneaking so lvl 1 is fine since no AP is required out of combat)
Earth: Fortify, Midnight Oil, Summon Spider, Bless(for your pets, otherwise useless), Boulder Bash(lvl 2, insane control spells since it's an aoe knockdown on low cooldown that isn't blocked by smoke and such), Earth Shield(lvl 2)
Fire: Wildfire, Flare, Fireball(lvl 2), Summon Fire Elemental(lvl 2, useful against fire mobs and there's a lot)
Water: Minor Heal, Rain, Ice Shard, Slow Current, Ice Elemental(lvl 2, useful against water mobs but not that common).

It's better for both mages to be able to buff themselves than have one buff both, especially since you'll probably want to buff your summons too so they don't get crushed too hard.

Haven't seen a mob immune to all spells yet. There's a lot of mobs immune to specific magic damage types but they're generally weak to something else so you just use that. That's why having all schools is useful for at least having a nuke that works. Otherwise yeah just rely on summons, Spider, Wolf and Bloodswarm do physical+earth damage(like weapons that have earth dmg so mostly phys and a bit of earth) and Skeletons from Witchcraft do pure physical, while the elementals do their own elements so they wouldn't be good if you wanted neutral damage.

D
DDK Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Originally Posted by PyrosEien
Note that in Lone Wolf, you get a lot of points, enough to max more than 2 schools. Even assuming you get stuff like crafting/blacksmithing and some random points, it's very easy and highly recommended to have all schools at 1 or 2(depends on the school) to get various early buffs:

Well, part of my reason for wanting to do this is that I have a lone wolf pair at 15th-level where I went with 3 skills, one physical and two magical. I'm finding the split between them has watered down their overall power and requires juggling stats, skill points, etc. to maintain effectiveness in all areas.

I had thought of doing a pure physical (strength) and pure magical one but the magical one then suffers from not having enough skill points since there are far more magical skills to devote points to.

D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Witchcraft has a few non-elemental skills, so that can help with those bosses.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Witchcraft has non-elemental damage and Teleportation also deals physical damage. If you have access to crafting, you can create some consumable high damage items as well. In addition to that there is a witchcraft debuff that can lower an enemy's resistance to everything by 50%.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Drop Geo and pick up Witchcraft instead. That will give you some very powerful spells and physical summons for those rare situations where that kind of damage is more advantageous. Also, consider Man-At-Arms 1. Rage works with spells.

Last edited by Incendax; 03/08/14 09:03 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard