Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by SteamUser
<SNIP> A load of horse shit.

- Just posting horrendous information that doesnt directly relate, is unclear in direction, and generally ambiguous.

- Makes false claims about the articles I linked, they dont necessarily specify if its a whole game remake or a mod remake. Frankly it doesnt matter, if you think being an add-on mod relieves you from all IP copyright infringement responsibilities you are sadly mistaken. In fact if you read the terms and conditions of most game engines they usual have sections denying responsibility for any contents created by users that may violate any laws.

- Looks down at perfectly fine websites such as gamasutra.com, kotaku.com, so childish.

- Links an article himself that has a whole section of problems of Blizzard Vs Modders.

- Talks a lot about Mods Copying Blizzard games using a Blizzard Engines. Lets see why blizzard might not want to sue a Blizzard Fan, Creating a Blizzard Remake on a Blizzard Game/Engine yeah I can see why blizzard might not to want to go to court when the copyright infringement is contained within in its own copyrighted shit benefiting the copyrighted owner, which again is Blizzard!

- SteamUser is going to be the first person in the world to write an article on how to remake a game and avoid all future legal problems, not even a lawyer could guarantee you this but sure if you can decipher this fools grey area he talks about then go ahead and make your remake. Otherwise all he talks about are games which have given explicit information allowing people to remake it or has expired Copyrights, at which point hes just leaning on my side of the argument.

Last edited by blazed; 03/08/14 12:32 AM.
S
S
Originally Posted by blazed
<SNIP>

You made a huge song and dance of putting me on ignore. What happened? Lying or just delusional?

And no: Kokatu, Gamasutra etc are not valid sources. Your arguments are wrong, and you've no idea about the actual legal stuff.

It's cute. Like anime. And like anime portrayals of women, totally fucking delusional.

For the record: I've now linked to four total remakes that have existed for 5+ years and are still available to play. I mean, I was just giving advice, but if you want me to advertise some of the best total conversion mods around, I'm happy to:

Aliens TC - Aliens TC is a total conversion based on the movie Aliens, created in 1994 by Justin Fisher and Richard Love.

Putting some history into this stupid thread, filled by an ignorant troll.

Mount & Blade - Last days of the third age of the Middle Earth - does what it says on the tin.

Wait.. they *didn't* get a cease & desist? I wonder why...

Star Wars: Requiem - Sins of a Solar Empire total Remake. Proving that if you're sneaky, even Lucasarts (TM) can be ok with it...

Babylon 5 for FreeSpace II - one of the most famous total conversions, due to just how damn good it is.

I'd list more, but hey. This thread is about using the D:OS engine to mod with, and how to do it, not some anime fan's ignorance of the PC modding scene & history.

I've never played a remake of game in mod form

Just fuck off. Special snowflake, can't admit when he's both wrong and reality doesn't agree with him.

mage

Last edited by SteamUser; 03/08/14 01:15 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
<SNIP>

You made a huge song and dance of putting me on ignore. What happened? Lying or just delusional?

And no: Kokatu, Gamasutra etc are not valid sources. Your arguments are wrong, and you've no idea about the actual legal stuff.

It's cute. Like anime. And like anime portrayals of women, totally fucking delusional.

Putting some history into this stupid thread, filled by an ignorant troll.

Just fuck off. Special snowflake, can't admit when he's both wrong and beaten.

Pathetic.

Oh oh someone cracked. Not cool... Not cool at all... Definately a call for a Moderator.

I don't want to go anywhere, I actually love you and you are spending so much time here with me, it's special and cute like "anime" you fairy!

Stop insulting every anime fan with such disrespect you're the hero of this thread remember, don't let people see the vile thing you really are, even though I truely love you for what you really are.

More to add why your points, conlusions and arguments are just plain bad:

Not every copycat game will be Taken down, it's literally impossible to shut down every little copycat game that pops up, the companies dont have the man power or need to shut down every IP copyright infringment.

Not Every Theif in the world is Caught.

Not Every Murder Case is Solve.

Not Every Illegal activity get's shut down.

Not every Fake DVD seller gets caught.

There are millions of torrents and illegal download stills at our finger tips regardless of how aggressive the industrie shave been to shut them down.

Doesn't make it OK or RIGHT or Legal, understand? My little Muppet you.

Last edited by blazed; 03/08/14 01:22 AM.
S
S
<snip>

Yeah, we're done. You've proven that you know nothing about the modding scene, apart from what the large aggregate gaming media tells you.

Well Done.

don't let people see the vile thing you really are

Case closed inspector. Sprinkle some crack on him...

meatfucker - someone doesn't understand the concept of "Grey Area", nor do they have the class to know an Iain M Banks reference when it's used.

rolleyes

p.s.

And another one...

EUOtopia -- an Ultima V mini-MMO remake. Has shrines, lore, entire depth and so on. Well worth an hour or two.

Last edited by SteamUser; 03/08/14 01:28 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
<snip>

Yeah, we're done.

don't let people see the vile thing you really are

Case closed inspector. Sprinkle some crack on him...

meatfucker - someone doesn't understand the concept of "Grey Area", nor do they have the class to know an Iain M Banks reference when it's used.

rolleyes

But I have a valid reason for not wanting to play a Mod which is an unofficial remake of another game... They Blow...

Unique Original mods, and new storylines are always interesting and I've played many of those smile

Dota, Dayz, Etc all good examples of what can happen when you make a truely good mod, tell me one MOD that wasn't original completely a remake of another companies game that has made a shitload of popularity and cash now?

Last edited by blazed; 03/08/14 01:31 AM.
S
S

But I have a valid reason for not wanting to play a Mod which is a Game Remake, They Blow...

Never go full retard

B
journeyman
journeyman
B

But I have a valid reason for not wanting to play a Mod which is a Game Remake, They Blow...

Never go full retard

I never watched: Avalanche Sharks

Never will, and I will always think that it blows. Because you know why it probably does?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2622826/

Your argument is null.

EUOtopia -- an Ultima V mini-MMO remake. Has shrines, lore, entire depth and so on. Well worth an hour or two.

Yeah I never played any Ultima game. My friend once tried to get me into it (Ultima online), I said "bro it looks like shit", and WoW was coming out so I waited on that instead, needlessly to say he left Ultima online for WoW and said WoW was Revolutionary as an MMO.

Last edited by blazed; 03/08/14 01:46 AM.
S
S
I said "bro it looks like shit", and WoW was coming out so I waited on that instead

Well then. A moment of clarity. And with that, we shall all ignore you. I hate thinking that a singular experience defines a generation, but, really: You're the cancer that ruined modern games.

And, unlike your fake "I've ignored you but I'm going to respond to all posts", I'm a woman of my word. Ignored.

Ciao. I only hope that one day you'll have the self-awareness to look back on this and think: "Yeah, I was an immature fucker back then, I knew nothing, damn if I'd only played some of the greats...".

You won't, but that's not because I'm evil, it's because you're a fucking tool. Enjoy wallowing in your own mediocrity and being a slave to an ego that's very limited.

The Monkeys, they're laughing at you

Last edited by SteamUser; 03/08/14 03:17 AM.
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I said "bro it looks like shit", and WoW was coming out so I waited on that instead

You're the cancer that ruined modern games.

And, unlike your fake "I've ignored you but I'm going to respond to all posts", I'm a woman of my word. Ignored.

one day you'll have the self-awareness to look back on this and think: "Yeah, I was an immature fucker back then, I knew nothing, damn if I'd only played some of the greats...".

because you're a fucking tool. Enjoy wallowing in your own mediocrity and being a slave to an ego that's very limited.

The Monkeys, they're laughing at you

So much rage. Where are you going? I though we were having fun? Please come back, I'm sorry.

Listen we don't have the time, resources and patience to watch every Movie out there, Play every games out there. etc...

We ALL use our judgement when we are deciding if something is worth it, there are many ways of doing this, own personal preference, what your friends are doing, Media advertisement, User Reviews, Popularity, etc...

Do you pay to see every movie in the cinema or do you go to specific movies?

Do you buy every steam game you see? No?

It's my own personal perference not to download mods that are a REMAKE, I'd rather play something else, a new game with an original content. Because I think the whole idea of Mod Remake is Balls...

I loved your Planet of the Apes video... really, but as we know APE started this war, and that ape was you Koba.

Adios Amigos!

Support
Support

If anyone is still actually following this topic for the original purpose, I think rather than trying to salvage this topic, it may be easier to create a topic called 'What older games would be good inspiration for a mod?' with a short legal disclaimer and notice that any such debate is off topic and will be deleted.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Raze

If anyone is still actually following this topic for the original purpose, I think rather than trying to salvage this topic, it may be easier to create a topic called 'What older games would be good inspiration for a mod?' with a short legal disclaimer and notice that any such debate is off topic and will be deleted.

Sounds like a great idea.

Support
Support

Well, even if someone started off intending to do a remake to get stared with moding, once they got a little experience they may decide to add or change things to make it more of their own, or even cut back and rewrite the plot if an entire remake is too much work.
In any case, there have been plenty of remakes that have not run into legal issues, so as long someone is aware of the potential problems from the start, they can make their own decisions.

D
Doz Offline
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Raze

Well, even if someone started off intending to do a remake to get stared with moding, once they got a little experience they may decide to add or change things to make it more of their own, or even cut back and rewrite the plot if an entire remake is too much work.
In any case, there have been plenty of remakes that have not run into legal issues, so as long someone is aware of the potential problems from the start, they can make their own decisions.

110% agree!!!
This was the idea behind the other thread (and to remove this petty crap from actual threads with a purpose)

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Yes this has clearly turned into a pissing contest. I would like to hear from people who have actual plans or ideas, rather than from people who cannot seem to agree to disagree. smile

Join #TheDivinityEngine at irc.gamesurge.net, help build a live modding community! Related forum topic here.
B
stranger
stranger
B
My vote is for the Gold Box games (Pool of Radiance, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, etc.). They're from like 1988 and onwards, well before Baldur's Gate.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
As a lawyer, i was very interested in this thread.

The way I see it is that if these two things happen:

1 - No money is involved.
2 - No posing as new version or as the original.

it's very likely that you will never have problems or, at most, you will be asked to take your project down with no other demands.

From what I read from both sources, all cases where people got sued were deviations from what a mod is, which, if i understand correctly, is:

A modification made to a game (with tools provided by the game itself or not) to attain effects that the unmodded game didn't have or couldn't do.

Also, a clone game could can be defined as this:

A game which is intrinsically identical to the other one, which includes more than main elements (usually a judge decides the criteria used to define closeness and other ways of finding if there is a copy and who copied who)

Both definitions can intersect as one can argue that with too much modifications a mod becomes a new entity, different than the original (It's the same principle we used for songs which use samples from other songs)

SO, if you do not monetize, do not use direct assets and do not pose as the original, you will have a rock solid defense in case someone get angry and try to sue you for your mod.

In my experience as a lawyer I've seen a lot of people suing for stupid things and getting absolutely nothing. My colleagues that work with intellectual properties are adamant that only when things are glaringly copied or when two big companies are fighting it out on court is that they actually do something, the rest are not even good cases.

Finally, i'd like to thanks both SteamUser and Blazed, this heated discussion was bad in a sense, but it would be interesting to have all of their tips stickied in a thread, like DO's and DONT's of MODDING.

stranger
stranger
I'd love to see a re-make of TOEE, though if you were thinking of going to such lengths to create a new game, why not create your own game? hell I may even pay for it if the mod was that good. smile

''And so it was, that the herald of Cthonian war mastery stormed the burning violet fields of Kerrul'thar, enraptured in glorious twilight as he reigned destruction upon the brave Atlantean heroes!''
K
K
___DIV_DIV
__DIV DIV
_DIV DIV
DIV DIV
IV___V
V

Last edited by Kriss; 05/08/14 05:12 PM.
F
stranger
stranger
F
So bottom line, people can create mods cloned from other games and no matter how hard Blazed rages, he can't do a damn thing about it and we can all just ignore him.

I wonder how hard he will rage when some of these remake mods get released? And how much more he'll rage when they don't get shut down? Haha, can't wait to see.

Last edited by Forge; 11/08/14 08:24 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Baldur's Gate + ToSC was already done as Baldur's Gate Reloaded for Neverwinter Nights 2, and they're currently working on BG II: SoA Reloaded. They aren't being sued, nor were they issued any cease and desist letters so do whatever you want. Follow their format "Disclaimer: non-profit fan made / Important: buy the original / Originally developed by.." and you should be fine.

Last edited by demise; 12/08/14 06:27 AM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard