Print Thread
S
Spiker Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
I started with Warrior and Witch.

Now that I am outside of the town fighting enemies I found that it is almost impossible to use melee.

I have to get close and get hit, burnt, and posioned.

True there is a knockdown and a big heal but it really sucks compare to all the CC abilities on the witch (witchcraft/earth/fire). Plus they never get hit.

Now I fight the 2 warrior basically do not do anything and only use knock down. My wizard and mage will CC everyone and slowly kill them.

I usually dont take any damage at all. Is this going to take better or worse?

I spent like 20 hours on this pair. I dont want to keep going and only using half of the chars.

addict
addict
Warriors are extremely powerful and do more damage than any other build if properly buffed. I wouldn't leave home without them. ^^

W
stranger
stranger
W
I've been playing with a friend (he's got primarily Ranger/Hydrosophist) and Madora, and I took Lone Wolf early with a 2H warrior (Man-At-Arms/Geomancer/some Hydro). Early on, melee was comparatively more difficult for me. Toward the end of the game now, there's not much of anything that can kill me, so it definitely picks up.

For a while in the beginning, we were more reliant on environmental effects -- he'd set off explosions or we'd even in some cases use objects (boxes, barrels, and so forth) to stack fights in our favor with better area control. Use the environment to break line of sight among enemies as much as possible. We had to do a lot of that, like forcing some enemies around a corner, maybe setting an explosion to split their group, and I'd battering ram down the nearby ones or something.

Beyond the stuns and so forth that your wizard has, having area control will be a huge thing, but eventually your melee character will become incredibly strong.

EDIT: To add to that (since you noted witchcraft), having Oath of Desecration cast on your warrior is insanely powerful. Later, with Man-at-Arms abilities like Flurry, it's borderline unfair for the NPCs.

Last edited by Wraith249; 03/08/14 12:29 AM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
Eventually you get enough resists that you can basically stand in stuff and get healed/take no damage and you get immunity/high rolls to most CC so you pretty much ignore everything but physical damage which doesn't do a whole lot, while at the same time doing 3times the damage mages do per round due to Rage and Oath of Desecration(which is a mage spell though but still better spent on warriors).

Use 2H weapons though, they should do equal damage to mages even early on. Especially Scythes once they start dropping have crazy damage ranges, you can increase the damage of every metal weapon at Whetstone wheels with 1pt blacksmith(the dmg increase is static so 1pt is enough, can use an item to give the point when you do it). Also helps a lot if you use your mages to buff your warriors with Oath of Desecration/Bless.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Important: are you on Hard difficulty?
If so, enemies will have a much greater chance of dodging your attacks, but your magic will be unaffected.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Melee = Weak Early Game, Decent Middle Game, Awesome End Game.
Mage = Decent All Game.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Incendax
Melee = Weak Early Game, Decent Middle Game, Awesome End Game.
Mage = Decent All Game.

Quoted for truth

A
addict
addict
A
I started the game with a Cleric and a Wizard. I think the best party composition would be something like a Ranger and a Wizard. Perhaps on my 2nd playthrough laugh

S
S
In most RPG games, mages are weak early, and insanely powerful in end game. And warriors are very strong early, but later become weaker than mages. In D:OS this is the other way around, warrior sucks initially, but near the end of game they turn to gods of war, annihilating anything on their way without problems, and mages are very strong on the beggining, and still pretty decent later, but at some point become considerably weaker than warriors.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
Actually melees are OP all game long. Playing 2 lone wolf 2handers now. The only thing that changes in my strategy from early to end game was my movement speed. Now I can run to the furthest enemy and kill him then go back in one turn.
For the beginning when I wasn't in god mode yet I just kept running to a corner to force the AI to chase me there one by one. Well, you know the rest lol.
End game consists of go invisible to the middle to a large group cast oath to start the fight then whirlwind and dust evil. Fights almost always ended in 2 rounds. The only exception was when I wanted to farm the boss. Then I have to gradually kill off everything first and the boss last. But ye if I want to nuke everything in this game in 1-2 rounds I can.
Only lvl 17 now. But I am better geared and kinda stronger than the lvl 22 melee-mage pair I made in the first play through. Glorious!

V
stranger
stranger
V
I'm playing a no-magic party (madora, dagger guy, 1h+shield guy, bow guy) and it's pretty funny how much utility the party has, especially the archer. If I want to bother, I can usually knockdown/stun/charm the entire enemy army on the first turn. Or just let madora kill everything.

Link Copied to Clipboard