Next Thread
Print Thread
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Puhhlease?

I am waiting to resume playing until global chat is restored. I know there were some idiots in there, but it was still very fun to share triumphs with other players.

Any idea if/when it will be turned back on?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by botfly10
I am waiting to resume playing until global chat is restored.

You're going to be waiting for a loooong time. Maybe it will return someday, but I doubt that it will happen.

The chat would have to be moderated if it did return. There are just way to many retards, trolls and whiners out there.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Where is that info coming from?

There was a commentary from Larian devs somewhere, although I'm afraid I don't have the link handy. You might be able to find it with a forum search. The level of trolling and... well, worse than trolling was so bad post-release (as opposed to pre-release, where global chat was reasonably productive) that they had to kill it.

journeyman
journeyman
The thing is, during the early access, only people who actually cared played the game, so the global chat remained fairly clean.

Now with thousands of people playing at the same time, not all even friendly and helpful, the global chat got messy.

Moderating that would be a full-time job of itself, and a 24/7 task as well :-/

Last edited by Styno; 07/08/14 08:33 AM.
old hand
old hand
Even if everyone behaves I do not believe that 'global' chat scales well beyond a few dozen of people. They would need both a filter and a room feature to control the pure noise (filter I was thinking of player X being able to ignore anything player Y sez as well as a language filter setable by the user). These features are nice I think but I rather they first fix some of the bugs in the game as well as add new content - though my preference might not match yours.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I just like the added social component. And its optional anyway. Can always turn it off. All they need is to add a profanity filter and ignore list.

Also, according to steam charts, the number of players on at one time has already dropped a lot.

veteran
veteran
If you miss it, I would suggest joining a hub in a MMO.

Playing The Old Republic, I know any global chat is seriously horrible, more so the one in the meeting place called Fleet, which is what you would see here too.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
go join an mmo... burp.

I played swtor for a long time and liked it. But we are talking about D:OS a game I also like. Why would you tell someone who is asking about a feature they like to go play another game?

Maybe they can just enable it for the people that like it and people that don't can disable it. What is so bad about that? They can even make the default setting off. Or even zone it to particular maps.

If some people don't like it, fine. Turn the feature off. But that is no reason to force your preference on the people that DO enjoy it.

Last edited by botfly10; 16/08/14 10:44 PM.
R
RtM Offline
R
You're not really asking about a feature though are you? You are letting us know you wont play the game until a chat feature is returned when in fact its just an added on feature (no more) that has no impact on the game at all. Pretty strange if you ask me.

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Thanks for clarifying my intentions for me!

old hand
old hand
botfly it was a lot of fun, but my gut is saying it isn't coming back.

I'd love to see a controlled chat system, several chat channels with a max player limit just so it doesn't go into insano land.

Things like:
Cyseal Help
Cyseal General
Cyseal Roleplay
Cyseal Crafting
... then each area.

And say a 50 player max, when hit another instance opens up, so like: Cyseal Help 1, Cyseal Help 2 etc.

This would add additional life to the game and age well with age, 5 years from now, saddling up again and talking to some other old grizzled vets.

Last edited by Horrorscope; 22/08/14 12:52 AM.
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Yeah, was just checkin in to test the waters. Seems like the answer is not any time soon. Guess I will stop waiting smile

Link Copied to Clipboard