Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I've been working the last couple of nights on pet summons that support the character's backgrounds I want to play. Mine are built OP as I plan on using their skills sparingly but you can certainly tone them down. I more wanted Guardians that accompany my team.

NOTE these are all fully editable and/or you can easily create your own using the template files (for stat changes, you only need Notepad!).

WIZARD: dabbles in the dark arts and draws forth slaves from the Void
- Grimm the trickster. Shadow Whisperer. Healing, buffs/debuffs, and lightning magic
- Grendel the brute. Shadow Shrike. Physical skills, higher strength

RANGER: uses Pet Pal to request the services of woodland beasts
- Gwendolyn the loyal. White Wolf. Air/Water. 2x size because Bigby, Sif, Direwolf, etc.
- Edison the majestic. White Deer. Fire/Earth

Pets are permanent in/out of combat until death (one per char at a time). 200 Vitality. 1 AP summon cost, 1 round cooldown.

Feel free to download my presets here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e99gc95ncak46zd/divnitypets.rar

[Linked Image]

DIRECTIONS
- Download a mod. Not sure how it interacts with all. I'm using BlazeDragoon's 4 Player Mod since it's pretty lightweight.

- Unpack the divinitypets rar and place the files and folders in \Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\[mod name]\ Make sure you keep the folder structure intact

- You can edit any of the text files to your liking (I recommend Notepad++). For example, you can reduce the amount of pet skills or change the linked class (e.g. from Wizard to Battlemage) in "SkillSet.txt". You can also edit their STR/DEX/INT/VIT/ETC stats in "Character.txt"

- Start the game. You may need to uncheck mod, activate, check mod, activate for the changes to take effect.

- Select the same classes in Character Creation as set in SkillSet.txt. If the files are unedited, they are Wizard and Ranger.

- That's it! When you load, your pets will automatically be in your Hotkey tray.

KNOWN ISSUES
- You will likely have to start a new game for the changes to take effect since it's triggered with starting skills for the Wizard and Ranger classes. You MAY be able to create a skillbook for each summon and define who it is sold to but I never got that far. Rhidian has more investigation here.

- You will be able to edit character visuals/name but you will NOT be able to edit the stats/talents/abilities. Going into that screen throws an error that there is a selected skill you aren't leveled for. You can't delete the pet summon so it gets stuck.

- If you have a Kickstarter code with the pet perk, all pet summons will inherit that name. You can work around this by creating a new profile in the game. Otherwise, you can define custom names in the lsb

- If you want a pet that is floating (like my Shadow Whisperer) make sure they have the Floating value in the lsb checked or else they won't be able to walk/move. That was a head scratcher.

Also, I wish there were bears in this game... smile

EDITING/CREATING YOUR OWN
- Download Norbyte's LS Tools by following the instructions here.

- Open LS Tools and unpack \Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Main.pak to a reference folder (NOT Mods or Public)

- Optionally you can download the DOS Editor from Steam. I found this useful primarily to look at creature models. Just load a level, open the Character pane (the little stick figure) and double click through the list to center the screen on that creature. Copy the MapKey/Template to find later in the lsb files

- In the unpacked files, navigate LS Tools to Data\[unpacked folder]\Public\Main\RootTemplates. Enemies.lsb is a good place to start. These lsb files have the properties and values we need to re-create these units. Find the unit you want to summon

- Open an additional LS Tools so they are side by side. Navigate to Data\Public\[mod name]\RootTemplates and open one of the existing lsb files I created

- Copy the values from the \Public\Main\RootTemplates\ version to the Public\[mod name]\RootTemplates\ version. Copy/paste them all but the most important ones I think are MapKey, PhysicsTemplate, and VisualTemplate.

[Linked Image]

- If you plan on updating skills and stats, I change one number in MapKey in the mod version so that enemies/NPCs in the game don't accidently inherit those characteristics. I also create unique values for Name, Display Name, and SkillSet. So far no problems. SAVE the new lsb in Data\Public\[mod name]\RootTemplates

- Open SkillData.txt in Data\Public\[mod name]\Stats\Generated\Data\ in an editor like Notepad++. This is where we will create a custom spell. Edit the values as you like. Template is the MapKey value from your custom pet lsb. You can change the visual effects when you cast the spell by referencing all the current spells in Data\[unpacked folder]\Public\Main\Stats\Generated\Data\SkillData.txt.

- Open Character.txt in Data\Public\[mod name]\Stats\Generated\Data\ to update pet stats. Make sure the entry name is the same as in your custom pet lsb.

- Open SkillSet.txt in Data\Public\[mod name]\Stats\Generated\ to add the Summon spell to your preferred class's starting set and to customize your pet's skills. If you want to attach the pet to something other than Wizard/Ranger, copy the preferred class's entry from Data\[unpacked folder]\Public\Main\Stats\Generated\ and past it into the mod version.

- You can change the pet name and summon description in Public\[mod name]\Localization\superpets.lsb. Make sure these are the same references to DisplayName as in your custom SkillData.txt and your custom pet lsb.

Once you understand the relationships between the files, editing and creating is easy. Just make sure the reference names you are using match up! Let me know if something needs more clarification.

RESOURCES
Tools and tutorials:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=505777

Rhidian's Boss Summons:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=521920

Last edited by robotbananabread; 20/07/14 02:14 PM.
R
addict
addict
R
Right, so a quick glance through the files and I see several issues (without running the mod, so I might be wrong).
1) The Localization folder should be located in Data/Mods/Mod_Name/ folder of whatever mod you're sticking the mod into, rather than the Data/Public/Mod_Name/

2) The Character.txt file in the Stats/Generated/Data/ folder has several entries that use "_Hero", but "_Hero" is not defined within that same Character.txt file above those entries. This is likely what's preventing the editing of their skills/talents.

Last edited by Rhidian; 20/07/14 02:50 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Nice job man! Im gonna get to work on my Giant spider!

stranger
stranger
Nice, especially providing the templates for us.

K
stranger
stranger
K
I dont know what Im doing wrong, but this is not working.

I downloaded the presets, unrared them and put the divinitypets folder in several directories none of which seem to work.

I tried:
- Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\Main
- Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\Main
- Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods\

and basically the only change that occured was that I got an error message when I loaded up the game about files being corrupted and I had to verify the game cache via steam (there were no voice-overs in the game, companions would not follow me, etc)

Could someone please tell me where I need to put the divinitypets folder in order to get this to work? Ive been looking for a permanent combat pet ever since the beta release smirk

R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
@khatmar - You need to install a mod first, THEN put these files in that mod's directory. I recommend installing the 4 Player Mod. Any time a file is out of place, the game will throw that error.

A little wonky but I didn't get far enough to figure out how to "pak" it by itself.

@Rhidian - fixed your name! I have the "_Hero" stack in my version of character.txt (since I wanted to edit starting stats) but still got that error. Double checked to make sure skills are lvl 1 as well but can't figure it out. Head scratcher.

What's the reason for moving the Localization folder? The game is inheriting the names/descriptions correctly and the file is a unique name so it won't get overwritten. What do you think?

enthusiast
enthusiast
When Gwendolyn dies, the death animation (and resulting corpse fragments) for Braccus Rex is triggered. It's a little startling.

Grimm and Grendel take themselves off properly to wherever they came from, and Edison just dies and falls over.

That last is probably correct, but still annoys me with the accumulation of dead pets. I mean, you summon them *from* somewhere; why don't they go back *to* wherever that is? It's not like you can resurrect them: you just summon them again. Untidy, really.

Also, if I wanted to make these pets somewhat less gigantic, this would involve unpacking the files first, yes?

Last edited by PeteNewell; 26/07/14 04:07 AM. Reason: added information
W
stranger
stranger
W
When I try to install it, it doesn't appear in my mods section in the main menu. I put it in Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public
Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Mods
Divinity - Original Sin\Data

E
stranger
stranger
E
I am frustrated as well, I can't figured out where exactly it needs to be installed. After installing the 4 Player mod and activating, I have tried many locations. Nothing.

- Unpack the divinitypets rar and place the files and folders in \Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\[mod name]\ Make sure you keep the folder structure intact

What do you mean by [mod name]? After Public I see [Main]. I have placed divinitypets inside \Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\Main nothing.

I have placed divinitypets inside \Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\ nothing.

I have created new folder under Public and placed it in there... nothing

Okay maybe it doesn't like [divinitypets] folder but all the other stuff...... Error (dependencies missing)

I even tried placing the mod in same folder as the 4Play mod.. nothing.

Only thing I can think of are either version issues since I have 1.08 DOS or steps missing or something else. If anyone got it working, please enlightened us.

Last edited by Elvenwolf; 03/08/14 02:26 AM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
The install instructions assume you have a mod to merge it with. The first step even specifies you have to download one, followed by a suggestion. [modname] then refers to the mod you choose to merge this one with.

I just checked the suggested mod but it seems that updated to a .pak file instead of a Mods and Public folder, so you cannot merge it with that one anymore.

If needed, you can always create a blank mod to merge this one with. Just open the editor, select create new module, make sure Main is checked on both sides for dependancies and give your mod a name. Then you can close the editor again.

Edit:
So if you create a mod called "Blank mod", you need to extract the rar into /Steam/steamapps/common/divinity - original sin/data/public/Blank_mod_(some-hex-stuff-here)/

Last edited by ck06; 04/08/14 01:59 AM.

-ck06
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Yes, ck06 is correct. I wanted to leave the files "un-pak-ed" so that people could easily edit the files with Notepad.

Here's one method I got working that gets around the pak issue...

1. Download the 4-player pak here:
http://www.blazemods.com/Mods/Divinity4PlayerModv105Pak.rar

2. Place that pak file in \Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\ (there should already be pak files in that directory like Main, Textures, Engine, etc.)

3. Create this folder (it's specifically linked to that 4-player mod):
\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\

4. Place all the files from the rar into that folder. So:
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\RootTemplates\superpets_deer.lsb
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\RootTemplates\superpets_ghoul.lsb
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\RootTemplates\superpets_whisperer2.lsb
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\RootTemplates\superpets_wolf.lsb
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\Stats\Generated\SkillSet.txt
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\Stats\Generated\Data\Character.txt
Data\Public\4Player_-_Test_1ddd6993-6d9b-4e71-a437-1195dd217cf6\Stats\Generated\Data\SkillData.txt

5. Start Divinity, go to Mods, make sure 4 Player mod is turned on, activate it, and start a new game!

Hope that helps. Let me know if there's an issue with that method.

Last edited by robotbananabread; 06/08/14 01:03 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by PeteNewell
Also, if I wanted to make these pets somewhat less gigantic, this would involve unpacking the files first, yes?

Apparently the answer is "Read the thread." My bad. Excellent work.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard