#536209 03/08/14 10:17 PM
U
ulric Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Hi,

the reloading of a stored level needs always a long time: 3min ... 5min (typically) ... >10min.

I have such poblems with no other game.

a) Are these load times normal for original sin?
b) Have anybody a solution?

I have Win7 64bit and I have bought the DVD of Original Sin (german Version).

ulric #536353 04/08/14 06:00 AM
Support
Support

Those are a tad high. How are your others specs, compared to the minimum recommended?

For me, saves load in 10-12 seconds, and switching levels takes 4-9 seconds (4-6 for the homestead and Black Cove, 8-9 for Cyseal and Lucula Forest).
Core i5 3570K, 16GB RAM, ATI HD7870, SSD for Windows/programs, HDD for games/media.

During the Early Access a few people reported long load times fixed by updates, or sometimes load times increasing from one version to the next (I had a small increase with one of the versions, but if I wasn't timing it I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference). I'm not sure what the high end of normal load times are in the latest version, though.

Did you try verifying local files? In the Steam library, right click on Divinity Original Sin and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game?

You can email supportdos@larian.com, with a description of the problem and the report.zip file generated by the D:OS support tool (for the PC version). The report will contain system and game information, any crash dumps, and your saved games. If file size is an issue, you can delete all saves but one from the zip file, since the slow load times are consistent.

ulric #536832 04/08/14 09:31 PM
U
ulric Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Hello Raze thanks for answer.

Steam has detected one defect file. Unfortunately, the repair has no influence to load speed.

My Hardware: Core2, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS, HDD for Windows/games.
This is lesser than the hardware recommendation and probably the cause.

But I don't understand why I have only problems if I loading a stored Level (or switching Level). The play performance is ok.

Last edited by ulric; 04/08/14 09:43 PM.
ulric #536845 04/08/14 10:33 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
If you think you have a good hard drive then try de-fragmenting it (except if it's an SSD, you DON'T want to de-fragment an SSD!).
Divinity uses quite a lot of files so if you're HDD is quite active, this can help a lot.
Also, be sure to have enough free hard drive space and a large system swap file which should also be de-fragmented (single blob).

Still, this game does have some quite long start-up loading times. So, if you ever get your hand on an SSD, it could be a good idea to put the game files on it.

ulric #537297 05/08/14 05:57 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ulric

My Hardware: Core2, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS, HDD for Windows/games.
This is lesser than the hardware recommendation and probably the cause.

Yes, running the game with hardware below required specs will cause all kinds of problems. Very simply, if there's not enough ram the game has to page to hard drive (instead of ram) and that takes much longer, then it has to be able to clear enough room in ram to load what you want loaded, but at the same time the game cannot simply clear that because then the game would instantly fail--so, back to the hard drive we go with game info the program needs to run, but then that needs to go back into ram again--rinse and repeat--it's known as "thrashing"--and it'll slow you way,way down--it's a minor miracle the game is running at all for you. Besides the game itself, then there's the OS that requires its own ram so that the game can run--which also has to be written to the hard drive when ram gets very low, etc.

There is *no shortcut*--if you don't have the hardware resources
required don't expect the software to "make an exception in your case"...;) Lol! Just upgrade your hardware ASAP. Then enjoy the game.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
ulric #537360 05/08/14 06:51 PM
Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
Try unplugging all your network stuff. Wi-fi, ethernet, turn steam to offline mode.

Is it much better now?

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard