Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted by Armakoir
Now I'm hungry... could someone please explain to me the chance of hitting the Wendy's drive through?

From here the chance is 0%, the nearest one is probably thousands of kilometers away. *scratches head* actually there may be one or two in the UK. If you go can you post me a pic of a juicy bacon cheese burger wink

E
stranger
stranger
E
At the moment of firing the missile, 100% chance of hitting

Oops she ducked

Aagh it bounced off his mobile

There are no rails that the missile runs on, time ticks and events happen

Bit like an M.O.T. yes, all good when we looked at it smile

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Originally Posted by Elwyn
Again, quoting from the game's manual:
Offense rating:
Determines your character's chance of hitting an
enemy.

Yeah FOR MELEE NOT ARCHERY

Here is what what determines your characters chance to hit with Archery:

[Linked Image]

Now quit applying non-dexterity aspects to dexterity.

Originally Posted by Snaphane
A few pointers which I fail to see mentioned, but I suspect a certain individual wouldnt listen anyway wink

* Archery has good range, at my current lvl its 26m. quite a bit more than Jahan's magic. Sure I might miss, but range is range ...and combined with controleffects ranged firepower rocks.

First of all the whole point to archery IS to deal damage from a distance. If you're missing a lot then you might as well not even use it because it totally defeats the purpose.

Secondly: Stop taking higher level aspects and saying well when you get to this level. That is 100% not even relevant to this. If Archery is only stable after certain a very high level, then that proves my whole point about how bad it is.

Finally, if you're missing a lot then control effects and firepower are barely possible.

You want archery to be just as effective early on just like every other class is. Since it's not, it's just a really bad class and needs to be fixed so it operates the same way every other class in the game operates.

Last edited by tx3000; 06/08/14 01:15 AM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by tarasis
Now I'm hungry... could someone please explain to me the chance of hitting the Wendy's drive through?

From here the chance is 0%, the nearest one is probably thousands of kilometers away. *scratches head* actually there may be one or two in the UK. If you go can you post me a pic of a juicy bacon cheese burger wink

Well, ooobviously, you need more perception. smile

At the moment of firing the missile, 100% chance of hitting

Oops she ducked

Aagh it bounced off his mobile

There are no rails that the missile runs on, time ticks and events happen

Bit like an M.O.T. yes, all good when we looked at it

Translation: it's always someone else's fault?

Last edited by Armakoir; 06/08/14 01:21 AM.
addict
addict
If you think archer builds are a bad, then you don't know how to play the game. Simple as that really.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Why has this forum allowed a tx3000 thread to get 5 pages long?
You're supposed to PAY the troll, not FEED the troll.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I still want to know where my chance to hit percentage is on my character sheet! Maybe I should create a thread titled, "The reason the devs suck!" and hope they'll fix my obviously bugged character sheet with a chance to hit percentage! Oh and you are all idiots! wink

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by Mirza
I still want to know where my chance to hit percentage is on my character sheet! Maybe I should create a thread titled, "The reason the devs suck!" and hope they'll fix my obviously bugged character sheet with a chance to hit percentage! Oh and you are all idiots! wink

It's called 'Offense'.
As far as I know, your chance to hit is equal to your Offense - the enemy's Defense.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by dirigible
Originally Posted by Mirza

It's called 'Offense'.
As far as I know, your chance to hit is equal to your Offense - the enemy's Defense.
I was providing satire. I suppose it was poorly done. wink

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
tx3000 broke me. I can't tell what's real any more.

addict
addict
Ooh, a recipe thread. Good idea. Here's one I've been doing for years, and I've always got great responses from it.

Coca-Cola Cake
Ingredients
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350ï½°
Combine Coca-Cola and buttermilk; set aside.
Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat until blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat at low speed until blended.
Combine flour, cocoa, and soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture; begin and end with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake at 350ï½° for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes.

While it's still warm from the oven, you can mix up this frosting for the top.

Coca-Cola Frosting

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup Coca-Cola
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Garnish: 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preparation
Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla.
Pour Coca-Cola Frosting over warm cake; garnish, if desired.

Note: Don't make the frosting ahead--you need to pour it over the cake shortly after baking.

tx3000 broke me. I can't tell what's real any more.

Nothing, we're all inside the machine. (I wish the f'ing digger next door wasn't real. 6:30am is far too early to begin digging).

Why has this forum allowed a tx3000 thread to get 5 pages long?
You're supposed to PAY the troll, not FEED the troll.

We were trying a different tack? Or we've just gone insane.

Originally Posted by tx3000

Secondly: Stop taking higher level aspects and saying well when you get to this level. That is 100% not even relevant to this. If Archery is only stable after certain a very high level, then that proves my whole point about how bad it is.

You continue to ignore our questions. Plus level 7 isn't particularly high. What level is your archer when he/she has managed to have 11 Dex? What is your build stats wise and skill wise? What is your offense rating? Where is the the field on the inventory sheet you mentioned? You've been asked by a few of us but you refuse to answer.

Well, ooobviously, you need more perception. smile

You sure? I was _positive_ that Dex would be enough. Dang. wink

Btw I like your sig. smile

Originally Posted by Jito463
Ooh, a recipe thread. Good idea. Here's one I've been doing for years, and I've always got great responses from it.

Coca-Cola Cake

Ooo not heard of that sort of cake before. I do drink Coke (though I've swapped to Fritz Cola for the last few months) and this looks very interesting and odd all at the same time. Cheers, I've added it to my list of recipes to try.

I just like to chime in and thank the people explaining how archery works. There have been a lot of good explanations in this thread, and I now fully understand the difference between Dexterity and Perception. In my first play-through I over-focused on Dexterity. Now I can create a more balanced build for my archer.

I will probably be shot for the statement below, but I am trying just the same. The following simplified formula is applied when calculating a chance to hit a target:

ActualChanceToHitTarget = MaxInnateChanceToHit - Modifiers

where

MaxInnateChanceToHit is your absolute maximum chance to hit without taking care of any modifiers. It is like standing next to a door and shooting arrows at it. This number depends on the character sheet of your PC and nothing else. Moreover, it is not affected by Perception since its effect is built into the Modifiers section of the formula.

Modifiers are all the situational effects that have to be taken into consideration before the actual hit chance can be calculated. The range penalty is one of them. It can be reduced by increasing Perception. Environment factors, like smoke, etc. is another one. Your offensive rating and the enemy's defensive rating is another one.

ActualChanceToHitTarget is the actual chance that your arrow hit when you fire the arrow. This is the number the game displays on the enemy when you hover your mouse over it.

To me the discussion in this thread only makes some kind of sense to me if tx3000 is taking about MaxInnateChanceToHit, while the rest of you are talking about ActualChanceToHitTarget.

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
@Ivra, yes, you are right, although I would write the formula a little bit different:

ActualChanceToHitTarget = YourOffenceRating - Enemy'sDefenceRating - modifiers.

You can not see the MaxInnateChanceToHit anywhere in the game - or better to say it is encoded in your offence rating and is not really a percentage number.

@tx3000, regarding the offence rating and its application to melee or archery. Please read the description of dexterity AND strength AND offence rating. I am quoting this again from the wiki webpage (since I have no time right now to launch the game). You can read the description of the strength attribute when hovering over it in the character screen (as you did with dexterity):

Strength
Boosts Man-at-Arms skills
+20 Weight per point (base 10)
+6 Offense Rating per point for Strength-based Weapons

Dexterity
Boosts Expert Marksman skills
Boosts Scoundrel skills
+5 Defense rating per point above 5? (base 4xLevel)
+6 Offense Rating per point for Dexterity-Based Weapons

So, both strength and dexterity determine your offence rating: strength for melee weapons, dexterity for ranged weapons (and daggers). Your offence rating is the parameter which is (together with enemy's defence and other modifiers) determines your chance to hit.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
FYI, you can get 16 perception without putting a single point in it.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
9/10. Would enjoy being trolled again!

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by ivra
To me the discussion in this thread only makes some kind of sense to me if tx3000 is taking about MaxInnateChanceToHit, while the rest of you are talking about ActualChanceToHitTarget.

Good observation. I think you're exactly right. I think I might have mentioned that (less clearly than you) in one of my post, but at this point I can't really remember.

I have a feeling tx3000 is fighting against creatures a couple levels higher than him, and possibly playing on hard mode. Assuming that's the case (since he didn't answer my questions), his MaxInnate is actually around 80-90% with Dex 11, and its being reduced ~10% per dexterity increase of the creatures above him, and 10% for the hard difficulty setting. That would put his ActualChance at around 49%, so I think that all makes sense.

Since dex increases a creatures/players defense rating, and that reduces ActualChance, it makes sense that more dextrous creatures are harder to hit (eg Immaculate archers and assassins), and that's something I've oberserved as well. And it wouldn't surprise me if tx3000 was using the worst case example.

Also, another possibility: tx3000 is mistaking his Offensive Rating for an Offensive Percentage. But even if that was the case, there's no way his Offensive Rating would show 49 with dex 11 and a bow equipped. Which leads to yet another question: has he actually equipped a bow?? Since he talks about special ammo damage, we could assume so.... but since he also thinks that dex goes into Offensive Rating, while str does not, it's entirely possible he looked at his Offensive "Percentage" without a bow equipped and got frustrated.

Now the (un-tx3000-related) question that still remains for me is: does the level of the creature ITSELF reduce ActualChance to hit, apart from an expected increase in dex as creatures "level"? I think it does, but haven't really confirmed that.

T
tx3000 Offline OP
banned
OP Offline
banned
T
Now the (un-tx3000-related) question that still remains for me is: does the level of the creature ITSELF reduce ActualChance to hit, apart from an expected increase in dex as creatures "level"? I think it does, but haven't really confirmed that.

No it cannot REDUCE the chance, it adjusts the chance based off you're current %.

An adjusted lower total is not the same thing as an actual reduction in the % itself.

W
W
Does the level of the creature ITSELF reduce ActualChance to hit, apart from an expected increase in dex as creatures "level"? I think it does, but haven't really confirmed that.

Pretty sure it does, but no numbers to prove it.

Does offence rating scale with level as well as defence rating? That could be it.

The test would be trying the same fight at two different levels, without changing stats, and comparing your offence ratings. If offence rating doesn't change but % hit chance does, then it is a purely level-based thing.

I would prefer if it wasn't, as having things readable on the character sheet and less hidden from the player is more favourable for me personally.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard