Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#539233 08/08/14 01:17 AM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I've found teleportation to be necessity in completing a puzzle or two (not I don't doubt that there were other ways to complete them.) One way required me positioning one of my mages with teleport and then using that mage to teleport my whole team to a seafe area.

Now the problem, I see Teleport as much a utility as a damage ability, but does it really need to hurt allies, or at least hurt them outside of combat? I find it alittle annoying that I use it on a ally to complete the puzzle, just to lose attitude with them afterwards.

Also How important is attitude? I assume it needs to be high to do the quest for madora and johan. What are some ways of raising it, because its starting to lower and I don't want them leaving me.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
re: teleport
You don't need teleport. Usually you can get the same results from throwing your Pyramid around, or by finding an alternate route.
There is a spell "Feather Fall" which is identicaly to teleport, except the target doesn't take damage.

You don't need high attitude to do J & M's quests, they just need to be in your party. I don't know how to raise it, but it goes down when you injure them. Try to avoid friendly fire.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by dirigible
re: teleport
You don't need teleport. Usually you can get the same results from throwing your Pyramid around, or by finding an alternate route.
There is a spell "Feather Fall" which is identicaly to teleport, except the target doesn't take damage.

You don't need high attitude to do J & M's quests, they just need to be in your party. I don't know how to raise it, but it goes down when you injure them. Try to avoid friendly fire.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly when do vendors refresh since they've had the same skillbooks for sale for a while now while my characters continue to level up in skill and levels and what not. Friendly fire is usually easy to avoid, only time they get hurt is when im using teleport on them.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Every time you level up, they refresh their inventory.
Some skill books are very hard to find. On this playthrough, I'm at level 6 and still haven't managed to find one of the level 1 skill books.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by dirigible
Every time you level up, they refresh their inventory.
Some skill books are very hard to find. On this playthrough, I'm at level 6 and still haven't managed to find one of the level 1 skill books.

Mines haven't, they still sell items that were there at level 1. Literally everything I carry came from looting and not the save looting glitch either.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
They will frequently carry some of the same stuff, for multiple levels. But if NONE of their stuff changes, then you have a serious bug and should report it to Larian.

stranger
stranger
No, teleport is a weapon. I tried using on Madora but after about the 4th ot 5th teleport she left in a huff.

Don't you just hate it when you forget where you parked the dragon.
I
iru Offline
apprentice
apprentice
I

Self only movement skills:
Man-at-arms - Battering Ram
Man-at-arms - Phoenix Dive
Expert Marksman - Tactical Retreat
Scoundrel - Cloak and Dagger

Movement skills (cannot target self):
Aerotheurge - Teleport (includes a damage component)
Aerotheurge - Featherfall

Teleport can be used to move other characters or items such as chests and barrels but should not be used on friendly npcs or companions as there's a damage component. Your two PC characters can be teleported without other consequences than taking the fall damage.

----

Vendor refresh:

Vendor items will refresh the first time you have gained a new level and choose barter with a vendor.
Save-scumming vendors is a tactic that means you save before choosing barter and if the vendor doesn't sell what you want you reload and try again.

I've also built a mod that makes vendor items always refresh, but it isn't properly tested and will increase the time it takes to open the bartering screen. I would not recommend using it on a first playthrough. (can be found in the Mods-subforum.)

E
stranger
stranger
E
If you don't want to use teleport as a weapon then why don't you use Featherfall instead?

The usual reason is that you don't have it yet. It's around a level 10 spell IIRC, whereas Teleport is available from the beginning. Once you have it, Feather Fall is flat-out superior since it also costs fewer APs.

I suppose a corner-case situation might be that you need to move two friendly targets at the same time, since Feather Fall would be put on cooldown with the first one and you'd need to use Teleport for the second.

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
.......Tactical retreat. Drop pyramid.
Teleport. Teleport. Teleport.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I have noticed after you beat the last fight in the area vendors in the first city stop refreshing their inventories except for cash available. It was really obvious as I completely ran one out of spell books and have leveled twice since.

I also have heard if you edit certain loot tables vendors will stop getting new stuff or their inventories will show up as empty even though they show an amount of gold available.

Last edited by Danarchy; 08/08/14 04:25 PM.
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Really? Because then I must have missed a fight, the Cyseal merchant kept refreshing until I beat the game.

iru #539805 08/08/14 07:27 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Escadin
If you don't want to use teleport as a weapon then why don't you use Featherfall instead?

This was literally answered already; did you even read any of the post that came AFTER the original.

Originally Posted by NeutroniumDragon
The usual reason is that you don't have it yet. It's around a level 10 spell IIRC, whereas Teleport is available from the beginning. Once you have it, Feather Fall is flat-out superior since it also costs fewer APs.

I suppose a corner-case situation might be that you need to move two friendly targets at the same time, since Feather Fall would be put on cooldown with the first one and you'd need to use Teleport for the second.

I'm level twelve right now, I tend to check vendors everytime i level with the exception of this one since I hit twelve right before fighting king Boreas and went straight for him. It might hve changed at 2, or 3 but i saw no changes up to twelve.

Originally Posted by iru

Self only movement skills:
Man-at-arms - Battering Ram
Man-at-arms - Phoenix Dive
Expert Marksman - Tactical Retreat
Scoundrel - Cloak and Dagger

Movement skills (cannot target self):
Aerotheurge - Teleport (includes a damage component)
Aerotheurge - Featherfall

Teleport can be used to move other characters or items such as chests and barrels but should not be used on friendly npcs or companions as there's a damage component. Your two PC characters can be teleported without other consequences than taking the fall damage.

----

Vendor refresh:

Vendor items will refresh the first time you have gained a new level and choose barter with a vendor.
Save-scumming vendors is a tactic that means you save before choosing barter and if the vendor doesn't sell what you want you reload and try again.

I've also built a mod that makes vendor items always refresh, but it isn't properly tested and will increase the time it takes to open the bartering screen. I would not recommend using it on a first playthrough. (can be found in the Mods-subforum.)

Sorry but I don't fully get the purpose of telling me information i already know. I don't use savecumming or any of the other exploitable glitches in the game and I honestly don't plan to start. If I do that I might as well just open up editor and go crazy on my characters. Not trying to sound like a ass here, but still.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I dont think anyone could possibly know what you do or do not already know. Being a d-bag is not going to make others want to add to the information already given.
Use google if social skills are not your strong point.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Danarchy
I dont think anyone could possibly know what you do or do not already know. Being a d-bag is not going to make others want to add to the information already given.
Use google if social skills are not your strong point.

The fact I'm using the ability should make one assume I have at least some basic understanding of the ability and I didn't ask; How does x ability work or what are y abilities so I saw no need for it to be explained and I stated as much. If someone didn't know then you inform them end of story. I didn't try to sound like a d-bag but when you come at me with ish like you just did I'm more then willing to become one.

R
R
Let's join the fun here....

Dear Dragon Wizard, to answer your questions in your original post:

No, teleportation is not intended to be a way to transport allies. (featherfall will do that @ level 10 and yes I am fully aware you have already adressed that...) Even though I am sure you have as you yourself so gracefully described some basic understanding of the game throwing allies and letting them plunge into the ground is usually something that they will frown upon. To be atleast somewhat constructive, I would assume that it is highly likely that you might have to use the pyramids more. You can get to a certain point by using tactical retreat and then send a pyramid to character b and port him up and repeat said process. Or can you just throw the pyramid and then port towards it.

On the notion of importance of attitude, well once it drops below 0, your party members will leave, npc's will become hostile and lower attitude means higher prices when buying items and lower income when selling items.

On a later asked question regarding, how do vendor resets work, they do indeed work on the level up of the main character with the most xp. However there are certain tricks to reset them more often, although I have read and understand that you feel that is cheating, so I respect that. However if your vendors truly did not change their items, it is time to call Larian dev. team. After two playthroughs I have not encountered an issue yet regarding vendors not resetting. (Ofcourse this does not mean that is not possible, just from my pov highly unlikely.)

Might I end this with wishing you a great day/night and please be gentle to people who are trying to help you.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

Rashar #539843 08/08/14 09:09 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Rashar
Let's join the fun here....

Dear Dragon Wizard, to answer your questions in your original post:

No, teleportation is not intended to be a way to transport allies. (featherfall will do that @ level 10 and yes I am fully aware you have already adressed that...) Even though I am sure you have as you yourself so gracefully described some basic understanding of the game throwing allies and letting them plunge into the ground is usually something that they will frown upon. To be atleast somewhat constructive, I would assume that it is highly likely that you might have to use the pyramids more. You can get to a certain point by using tactical retreat and then send a pyramid to character b and port him up and repeat said process. Or can you just throw the pyramid and then port towards it.

On the notion of importance of attitude, well once it drops below 0, your party members will leave, npc's will become hostile and lower attitude means higher prices when buying items and lower income when selling items.

On a later asked question regarding, how do vendor resets work, they do indeed work on the level up of the main character with the most xp. However there are certain tricks to reset them more often, although I have read and understand that you feel that is cheating, so I respect that. However if your vendors truly did not change their items, it is time to call Larian dev. team. After two playthroughs I have not encountered an issue yet regarding vendors not resetting. (Ofcourse this does not mean that is not possible, just from my pov highly unlikely.)

Might I end this with wishing you a great day/night and please be gentle to people who are trying to help you.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

I like how you put the last bit, I wasn't really trying to be anything but straight forward. Anyways thanks you and everyone else who responded, my questions have been answered.

Link Copied to Clipboard