Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#539712 08/08/14 03:49 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hello,

I'm trying to build a good archer, but I got no clue how to start.
How to spread ability points?
Is it worth to go side-tripping in Rogue or even some basic magics?
Is crafting worth it for the arrows?
Are the long skill cooldowns a problem?

Thanks in advance!

addict
addict
DEX then Per

You need crafting for other things anyway so you might was well have your archer be your crafter so they can make arrows also.

Cool downs are reduce if you increase your Marksman skill.

To be honest, in the end I seldom used the Marksman skills except for a couple of the higher level ones. Also the special arrows were all but useless. I always did more damage with just plain arrows and anything like charm, freeze, etc. the enemy would always save against anyway, so those became pointless also.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
So, basicly focus on damage? Would it be a good idea to dabble a bit in magic? Like basic healing?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Here is some general information that I have posted elsewhere regarding ranger builds:
Originally Posted by eidolon
The damage only seems to be garbage early, because skeletons have a high resistance vs piercing attacks (bows) and poison.
As far as the Ranger Skills go, there are relatively few that you will use on a regular basis: Ricochet, Precision and Rapture. On the other hand you get access to ~30 different arrow types , which gives makes your char very flexible.

When it comes down to planning your chars, the big question is how difficult do you want your game to be?
There are some mechanics that either don't work as described or are just op:
1) leech + comeback kid
instead of getting killed by physical damage, you will be drop down to 1 HP, bleed a lot and heal back from leech so that ck will trigger again for the next attack.
2) sneak/invisibility after you are done attacking
Enemies will skip their turn if they have no targets in sight
3) crafting
Other than massively upgrading your gear, the biggest upside is adding elemental resistance to your equipment. Depending on your level you can add up to a total of +125% (+100% for chars without shields) elemental damage resistance to your gear, meaning that elemental damage will heal you.
Or you can craft ~3 Voodoo Dolls/level, which deal massive long range physical damage for 0 AP.
4) Seller of Secrets
There is one char in the game that will sell you a +1 attribute and a +3 skillpoint book. This is supposed to be a one time deal, but it will restock every level.
5) Elemental Shield Spells
In addition to their listed effect, these spells will absorb damage from any source equal to your life total.
6)Glass Cannon
The talent works as intended, but is far more powerful than you might first think:
The life adjustments are additive not multiplicative - so on normal you start with +15% HP and GC will decrease your HP to 65%, which is only 43% less than you would have without it. (This is a drawback for hard difficulty though, because it will reduce your hp from 75% to 25% or 1/3 your value without GC).
Also double AP will result in way more than double damage, because you also need AP for stuff like (de-)buffing, summoning, moving, healing.
With the high initiative, archers get a lot of value from a few points in INT, since that allows them to attack fully buffed before your opponents can act. Low level spells that are interesting are
Lvl 1 Geo gives you Midnight Oil (100% chance -saving throws of Slow for Bully), Summon Spider (stats are only affected by your level not your INT), Bless (30% chance to hit)
Lvl 2 Geo gives you Boulder Bash/Fortify and Earth Resistance Shield(doubles your HP)

Lvl 1 Scoundrel has Fast Track, Walk in Shadows and Cloak +Dagger

Lvl 1 Witchcraft has Oath Of Desecration, Blind (close to no immunities) and Bloodletting(Leech) or another summon.
Without essence stacking Absorb the Elements becomes useful and you get a post combat Resurrect on top of it.

and to a lesser extend
Lvl 2 Air could be Invisibility, Become Air, Teleport, Shield and Elemental/Featherdrop(with penalty)

Lvl 1 Water offers Elemental(with penalty), Slow and Water of Life/Freezing Touch

The "jump", teleport and invisibility variants become even more interesting when you are taking the talent Guerrilla for double damage while in Sneak mode.

Since many enemies bleed their own element, Elemental Ranger can become more of a drawback than a bonus. Imo you are better off reducing the variance by not taking this talent.

The dmg/AP of the special arrows is relatively low, so the only ones that I have used on a regular basis were the Silver Arrows to debuff heavily armored opponents.

Archers have a 100% chance to hit vs immobilized targets, meaning that they are best in a party with a caster.

R
R
Hi,

Get a beverage and some cookies, as I will try and help you while I will share my vision. I repeat this is my vision on a character that will strongly focus on a bow. I do not claim that it is the best build or the only build in any way shape or form.

Before starting I want to share that I personally am not a huge fan of lonewolf glass cannon combination or any leech/zombie shenninigans so I will refrain from combining any of them, however I did take up glass cannon. The second thing you might want to take note of is the fact that in act I your ranged dexterity based character will mostly play a supportive role, using crowd control (CC) via special arrows or using the 1st aid or doctor skill. Piercing damage deals less damage versus undead so that further decreases your archers damage output.

With my own archer type of build I noticed that around level 8-10 depending on how strong the gear you have found is, you will start to notice the attack potential of this build.

So let's start of with assuming we're in the character creation screen.

First thing I did was getting dexterity to 8 and perception to 7, there is merit in saying if you take glass cannon you want constitution or if you want more AP/turn then take speed. My choise take up on perception is based on the following:

- Perception increases chance to hit, attacks that miss deal 0 damage so it is important to have atleast some to hit covered.
- It will likely be your only character that will invest in perception so it is nice to be able to spot traps and find hidden treasures rather easily. (This can be overcome by resummining a spider, since it seems to have high perception but that is kinda tiring)
- Perception also increases the number of start AP (it is based on the following formula 2+(Speed+Perception)x0,5 *rounded down* You will see that you will start with 8 AP every combat, which translates into 2 auto attacks. Or you can alternatively, shoot a knockdown arrow, pass the turn and then next turn you 2 auto attacks with a 100% chance to hit and +50% damage bonus.

After setting the attribute points I was looking at the talents for a while and was looking at what my goal was and how I wanted to reach that, Taking up good starting is kinda hard and for me there were only 2 starting talents to take (keep in mind I dont use lone-wolf nor any zombie/leech shennigans) when looking at it from a point which would improve overall damage by your archer.

- Bully, +50% damage done to targets that are crippled, slowed or knocked down. As an archer you can actually apply two of three status effects yourself. Those are knockdown and slowed and both use a special arrow, both have a 100% chance to apply the effect (before target saving throws) Keep in mind that when you choose this talent the knockdown arrow becomes one of your best friends, buy every knockdown arrow you can get your hands on, or knockdown arrowhead or anthler. The knockdown arrow provides you with a lot things. Namely CC and either in the same round or a round later you can actively use your +50% damage bonus.

The other talent I somehwat reluctantly took was:

- Guerrillia, another +50% damage bonus but this time ONLY when you are sneaking. Keep in mind that I took this talent only because I know it will be a powerhouse midgame-lategame however early game it is a huge huge faillure due to how the stealth mechanic operates in this game. Out of combat you can go into stealth and there is no cost involved. Once you are in combat going into stealth has an AP cost of 6-rank_sneak. So basicly you will not be using this in combat untill you have 5 ranks in sneak which will roughly be level 12 (or earlier if you buy items that give you extra skillpoints.) The idea is to let sneak be at a maximum of 2-3 depending on how much + sneak you have found on gear. It is thus wise to actively search for decent pieces of gear that offer +1 sneak. (alternatively you can use void essences to increase the sneak level on your gear.) Taking up this talent requires you to have atleast 1 rank in sneak so I went and bought 1 rank in sneak leaving me with 4 of my 5 skillpoints.

Lone wolf is also a really good talent to take, however I would not recommend it for a first playthrough or a playthrough on easy. The talent is very strong and wehn combined with the glass cannon talent you will get calls from Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger if you want to star in their next movie: Army of one. But on a more serious sidenote, take it instead of guerrillia if you want it.

Why no arrow recovery? 20% is too low and we will only shoot special arrows if we deem the situation in need of it, the idea of the build is to fire as many auto attacks as possible from our starting position. A moving archers shoots less; that is another reason why high perception is not a terrible choise as it will decrease that to hit pentalty for targets far away. With enough perception and + sight there will be times that you will shoot 19m+ and still have like 94%+ chance to hit.

Ok so as I stated earlier only Bully and Guerrillia I deemed worthy, next up are our skillpoints.

My take on the archer is a pure dexterity based class that will straight up fire a "barrage" of arrows and will acts a support class if the situation demands it.

My total of 5 skillpoints were divided as followed:

Expert marksman - 2 (3 points)
Scoundrel - 1 (1 point)
Sneak - 1 (1 point)

Why no points into bow/crossbow? Well because at some point in the game there is a fairly huge chance they will become copletely redundant. If that wasnt the case then yes I would have loved to points into bow/xbow. However due to this we can use either bows or crossbows without feeling that we are not using full potential. However I lean towards a bow and not a crossbow. (personal preference or legolas syndrom)

Why no points into geomancer or withcrat? Well, I like to do stuff and make sure that what I do has a close to 100% to work and casting Oath of desecration with a success chance of 70% is not to my liking, I have little of no need for other witchcraft spells, absorb the elements come to mind but fairly high action point cost and not a 100% success rate with 5 intelligence. On the geomancer spells... well, since I tend to favor the perception type of build I have less need for bless, I don't want a spider with gimped stats either. (Yes summon spider is good even with 5 int, however it's chances to hit are horrible so it only functions as a meatshield.) In my playthrough my other character started out as a wizard and that character took summon spider and also took a point in witchcraft however I did not take oath of desecraton. (I bought it from the vendor on top floor of Cyceal inn the first chance I got with my wizard.)

Why take scoundrel? Well that should be fairly obvious at 4 action points a self haste (Fast Track)is a very big damage increase earlier in the game and if you expect encounters you can actually use it right before the start of an encounter and start hasted. The second skill Walk in Shadows I took for two reasons.

- Steal stuff from under peoples noses; cheesy, corny but it gets the job done.
- It gives you an escape mechanism in combat for just 3 AP.

As marksman skill I took Tactical Retreat just because it is another escape mechanism and not only that in combination with invisibility you can do a few fun tricks aswell. It's more or less fancy play syndrom but nonetheless pretty fun. I will give an example. Tactical retreat in between all enemies, use Walk in shadows, when Madora get's her turn make sure that you have max. AP the next turn, so use what you can but make sure to have as much AP as possible. -Important- In my playthrough my archer held one of the pyramids and the other pyramid was held by madora (she was the only melee in my group of 4, if you have a better melee give it to that one instead.) On Madora's next turn use her pyramid and then dust devil and whirlwind away. Like I said fancy play syndrome but it's fun. However Tactical retreat also works with some support skills we will take later on, if a character really is in dire need of some sort of cure, we can allways TR and then 1st aid, doctor, scroll or w/e.

After this you basicly have gotten your archer playready, however it does not end yet.(did you refill your glass yet, now is a good time)

We have the basics but we have to make sure we go to correct route so we can be that action hero later on.

As far as attribute distribution goes, I can not tell you how to distribute them, as you will end up with different items then I did. I can only tell you that by the end of chapter I, which should roughly be around level 9-10 you want to have the following stats: (keep in mind this is BUFFED)

STR:5, DEX:8+, INT:5, CON:9, SPEED:9, PER:11

You can alternatively switch SPEED and PER, however then you have to make sure that CON = SPEED.

The reason as to why we took these stats I will explain a bit later, let me first tell you, how I decided on what talents to take and how to distribute my skillpoints.

Starting with talents, we will get a talent at level three, however we will NOT use it untill we are level 5, we will then buy glass cannon with that talent point. (at level 5 your unbuffed stats will look something like: 5,8,5,5,5,9)

Our next talent point is gained at level seven and we will NOT use it, we will wait untill we have 5 ranks into Expert Marksman and then we will buy Quickdraw.

Skillpoint distribution is fairly simple, you will put everything into Expert Marksman untill it is maxed, after that you might want to throw some points into sneak (depending on your total sneak) you might want to invest 1 point into bodybuilding and willpower and then max out tenebrium skill.

Regarding the talents on level 11, 15, and 19 take what you want or save them untill you can trade them for ability points.

Ok back to the 5 8+ 5 9 9 11 (BUFFED), this should be accomplishable somewhere between level 8-10. Atleast on my playthrough without using cheatengines, tormented soul or sextant I managed to get 5 12 5 9 9 11 on level 10. Once again, just make sure to distribute your points that synergizes with the items you find.

CON: 9 = Max AP: 16, 7+con=Max AP
SPEED: 9 = Ap/Turn 16, (Speed-1)x0,5 rounded down)+4)x2=Turn AP
Perception: 11 = Start AP 12, (SPEED+PER)x0,5 rounded down)+2)= Start AP.

So in other words you will start with 12 AP, have a max of 16 ap and will gain 16 ap per turn, this relates into the following:

12 AP = 4 auto attacks, it is also roughly 2 special arrows, with enough sneak it is a total of 3 sneak attacks.

Without glass cannon it is still roughly 2 special arrow attack but only 3 auto attacks.

16 AP = 5 auto attacks, with enough sneak a total of 4 sneak attacks, 2-3 special arrow attacks. Since 16 can not be divided by 3 I suggest using ranged power stance with the 5th auto attack so you will not lose any AP.

Getting near the end, just hang on ;),

What Expert Marksman skills did I take? Well there are a total of 14 Expert Marksman skills and I think roughly 9 are a must have.

I ended up with the following:

- Tactical Retreat - 1
- 1st aid - 1
- Ricochet - 1
- Ranged power stance - 1
- Doctor - 4
- Treat poisoning - 4
- Ranged precision stance - 4
- Barrage - 7
- Mute - 7
- Rapture - 10
- Arrow spray - 13

This is also the order in which I obtained them and the number at the end is the level required to learn the skill. As you can you see I take all 3 debuff skills, mostly for versatility, mute and rapture are just plain insane. I use tactical retreat for versatility aswell. I rarely use the stances, only when I have an action point spare will I use power stance. Power stance is also better for crossbow then it is for bow, due to % of damage gained per % of action increased. I only use ranged precision stance when my chance to hit is 80% or lower and even then I usually change tactics and will use barrage, ricochet or arrow spray because they have no chance to hit, however they also don't add any elemental damage from the bow to attacks.

I did not take Infect, because it is a 3.0 meter cast and the whoel idea of this built is to stand still adn shoot things from afar. I did not take Survivor's karma because well.. it is the worst Expert Marksman skill as it is only usefull outside combat and the bonus it gives is so small it is just not worth it, very flavorful ability but that is where it stops. I did also not take minor charm due to having rapture.

Tip/advice: If you are trying to mute or rapture a target with a decent amount of willpower make use a scroll of drain willpower to increase the odds in your favor.

I guess this is where it ends, the post has become somewhat elongated, however you can not say that I have not tried to help you. :P

As a last bit of advice, buy any scroll of Oath of desecration and drain willpower you can get your hands on. Same goes for teleportation. Make sure to buy/craft knockdown arrow every chance you get. Slowdown arrows are a nice backup but don't expect to use them a lot. Make sure to have water arrows (yes I am aware they really suck damage wise.) but depending on how many characters have blitz bolt it can actually be a great setup for a stun, wet characters have a 20% or 30% chance (not sure) to get stunned. In terms of arrows being able to apply debuffs, don't use or craft str dex, int or perception. If you want to debuff something use the con or speed debuff arrow or ofcourse the curse debuff. The con debuff arrows works un such a way that the damage dealt by it is useless however once the effect wears of the hitpoints are NOT retroactively added, so depending on the maximum health and constitution of your target those arrows can indirectly deal hundreds of damage. Your next special bread and butter arrow should be stun arrow, followed by freeze arrow, make sure not to use physical damage or fire damage on a frozen character as it has +40% fire res and +65 armor, so when you use freeze arrow, do it because your mage(s) will bombard that target with water spells. Buy a sextant if you see one, but with using it untill you have a level 14 weapon (that is the level the bonus changes from +1 perception to +2, later it will become +3 however that is so late that game might have alrdy ended.) If you have multiple tormented souls (+str and +dex on weapon) you can use one early on if you find a decent legendary bow, however it will give a better bonus once you find weapons that are level 14.

Since you are a bully make sure to give your melee battering ram and crushing fist depending on your setup mages can use either slow current or midnight oil, although I prefer midnight oil because it will have your fire arrow have more use.

I also suggest turning in all other talents past 11 for attribute points, however if you like you can take up elemental ranger, however this is more often then not a pain in the bum. If your poison immune target is standing in posion you really don't want to heal him. If you did pick up lone wolf then you will end up with a lot of ability points, if that is the case I recommend grabbing atleast willpower and body building 3 higher. Or instead you can get Intelligence to like 10 eventually and then you pick up some "wizard" spells to boot aside from that the best sarongs ingame require an intelligence of 10 to be worn aswell. However my personal opinion is that it is not worth sacrificing 4 attribute points just for some extra spells or wearing a sarong.

Well if you actually read all of this, props to you as boy did I ramble on... It was not my intention however I played an archer in my 1st playthrough and absolutely loved it.

Have fun giving it your own twist!

With kind regards,

Rashar.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Good grief, Rashar. That was spectacular.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yup, that's the kind of answer I was looking for! Thank you! Can't wait to try this advice out. (I started as a Mage, but gameplay felt unrewarding.)

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I was planning making my other character a Mage with Charisma, then get Jahan for crafting and Madora/other henchman as a tank. Would that be a viable party? Wouldn't I spread my maincharacter-mage too thin by adding points to Charisma? Is a 2H tank viable, or is a shield a must? I read that you're best off using your maincharacters for crafting. Is that true?
Finally, I'd like to take Pet Pal (not sure about the name, the one that lets you speak to animals) on my Ranger. Would that diminish my combat potential?

enthusiast
enthusiast
You can get a lot of Charisma points from items, so you don't need to invest many hard points into that ability. Your Charisma char should have the Pet Pal talent as well, or otherwise you are missing out on a lot of XP on the second map.

If you really need to tank something, just use some summons. You are sacrificing way too much offensive power by running around with a shield.

You need less ability points by making one of your main chars a crafter, because only main chars have access to traits (passive boni, including the option to get +1 to crafting). However you can just as well hire a 5th party member just for crafting/blacksmithing and leave him/her back at your homestead.

If you have a mage as one of your main chars, I would give that char pet pal, because there are only few good talents for casters. You can trade 1 talent point for 2 attribute / 10 ability points later, so don't pick stuff like All Skilled up or Know It All.

R
R
I was planning making my other character a Mage with Charisma, then get Jahan for crafting and Madora/other henchman as a tank. Would that be a viable party?

Yes, but in that light, on easy and normal difficulty you literally can not go wrong. Play hybrids, experiment, try stuff out. Jahan is air+water so you might want to put the emphasis a bit more on fire+earth on your main mage. Pet pal on a mage is perfectly fine (if that character will also be the barter bot then skip know-it-all just as Eidolon suggested.)

Wouldn't I spread my maincharacter-mage too thin by adding points to Charisma?

As Eidolon suggested you can keep some +charisma gear around, however I haev to admit that in my 2 playthroughs I haven't thrown a single point into charisma on my main characters, I used a charisma hired henchmen and more often I could just not be bothered to go through the proces of picking henchmen up, removing a party member, throwing henchmen out, picking party member back up. So I "missed" a lot of gold, yet I did not ran into any gold issues. If you do aim to have your mage be mister or misses charisma then you might want to give him/her a few of those +3 abilitypoint books as in all fairness a mage uses a lot of skills on elemental schools and personally I used those books to give my 2nd main leadership 5, as that is is a huge increase to well... roughly everything combat related. Leadership 5+ is probably best on Jahan as your own mage will deal more damage that way, however just make sure it is not on melee characters or ranged physical damage dealers as endgame mages are not that impressive and will basicly act as paramedics with some aoe/single target damage spells so you want to maximise the effect of leadership on non casters imo.

Is a 2H tank viable, or is a shield a must?

On easy and normal, yes it is viable, so is a shield a must? No.
Even on hard a shield is not a must, aslong as you know what you're doing. You're basicly allways weighing surviveability versus damage and killing opponents faster means less damage aswell. On hard that is a bit trickier as they have more hitpoints so sometimes having a shield+1hander can be convenient. Also keep in mind hitting with 1hander is 3AP and 2hander is 4AP (as long as the item is equal or lower level then your character.)

I read that you're best off using your maincharacters for crafting. Is that true?

Basicly... yes, since your main characters can get the pragmatic trait and therefore allways have 1 crafting more. You can look at it this way: Crafting to 5 costs 15 ability points, if you have 1 from pragmatic it will only cost 10, if you also happen to have scientist it will only cost 6. That being said because Jahan has scientist he is a pretty good crafter and without any mods crafting higher then 5 is not really needed. I found a mod somewhere that fixed missing recipes and some other stuff without being horrible imbalanced and in the players favor, with that mod crafting 5+ matters as there are some minor bonusus for having crafting 5+. However with crafting 5 you can make all that you want and you probably want to look for bracers and a belt that give +crafting/blacksmithing and use them on your crafter so that you're not spending tons of points in crafting. Jahan with 2 points in crafting + scientist and belt/bracers can do all that you need.

Finally, I'd like to take Pet Pal (not sure about the name, the one that lets you speak to animals) on my Ranger. Would that diminish my combat potential?

Depends on the level you are taking it, basicly upto level 7 I think all ranger talents are fairly locked up (when not taking into account lonewolf otherwise they are locked up till 11) So I suggest taking pet pal on the mage because as the game progresses mages get kinda whacked with the balancebat and aside from know-it-all, far out man, glass cannon mage talents are kinda iffy... so you can easily take pet pal with a mage and not lose any damage potential.

Hope it helped, remember play and do and take what you like, I tend to try and min-max things upto a certain point which is not allways the way of the most fun. The journey is part of the adventure and you can learn a lot of things by failing and in the worst case scenario you can use a savegame editor if you feel really unhappy with your choises so you do not have to start over.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Very interesting thread. I haven't tried an archer yet but now I'm tempted. BTW, how many DEX points do you need for the best bow? TIA

R
R
Well it depends, you could make a bow from absolutely scratch which requires dex 13 to use and still be up to par with endgame bows you're able to find. Crossbows have a 14 or 15 dex requirement not sure, however since I suffer from legolas syndrome for me xbows will not be an option. Xbow AP cost is higher, damage is higher, range is lower and dex requirement is higher aswell. However since weapon damage scales with abilities, using abilities like, ricochet, barrage and arrow spray are way way way better with a crossbow.

When you hit act 2 you can literally pick up a great bow it is tricky to "find" the spot (bow is a level 14 weapon however), but it is there every game and it will be good atleast to level 18. Bow is called Heartseeker and it's a level 14 bow, so great for sextant and tormented soul aswell. (due to +1 bonusus becoming +2) It was from that point that my archer went from pretty decent damage to being Rambo.

With kind regards,

Rashar.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Rashar
Well it depends, ...

With kind regards,

Rashar.

Thanks, that was helpful.

R
R
Well there are a lot of variables, what is best for you does not have to be best for me, do you want loads of damage from the bow, do you think added elemental is good? Do you play with a tenebrium bow, or did you take ranks in bow or crossbow and therefore having less benefit from a tenebrium weapon. Are you looking for particular status effects that can be applied...

"Best" is rather relative, but if you want to be absolutely safe, then my answer will be dex 15 and you can equip the strongest crossbow you can find, it will have the highest base damage a (cross)bow will have. Will it also be useful, no... but it is the best.

Rashar.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by Rashar
Well there are a lot of variables, what is best for you does not have to be best for me, do you want loads of damage from the bow, do you think added elemental is good? Do you play with a tenebrium bow, or did you take ranks in bow or crossbow and therefore having less benefit from a tenebrium weapon. Are you looking for particular status effects that can be applied...

"Best" is rather relative, but if you want to be absolutely safe, then my answer will be dex 15 and you can equip the strongest crossbow you can find, it will have the highest base damage a (cross)bow will have. Will it also be useful, no... but it is the best.

Rashar.

OK, I probably will stick to bows and use the extra points to add a little INT for more CC.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by eidolon
Your Charisma char should have the Pet Pal talent as well, or otherwise you are missing out on a lot of XP on the second map.

You can trade 1 talent point for 2 attribute / 10 ability points later, so don't pick stuff like All Skilled up or Know It All.

With or without Pet Pal I always end at 22 level so it doesn't really matter, only for the extra content.

Know it All adds 1 point even on maxed base (15) INT so Moloch can't give you that extra point.

When it comes to crafting bows the archers are in the worst situation- to make and boost a bow you need 4 sinew (very rare material) and a sextant (pricy), this is not the case with melee weapons- plentiful ore and knives.

Last edited by xiery; 10/08/14 09:28 PM. Reason: add content
R
R
When it comes to crafting bows the archers are in the worst situation- to make and boost a bow you need 4 sinew (very rare material) and a sextant (pricy)

Sextant is like 5000 gold depending on bartering/charisma/attitude, so far I ended one of my games with a lot more gold then I could spend/need. That leads me to believe that gold should not be an issue, especially not that late in the game, since you will have heartseeker for free untill level 18.

As far as sinew goes, I personally found enough to make a few bows, if you need sinew, you can allways go deer hunting in Hiberheim, in my case I just go vendor shopping every level up and the enchanter in cyceal market and the guy at cyceal docks have them every now and then, making it a gold sink but not so impossible.

But yeah you are right when pointing out that making bows is a lot more annoying then crafting swords. Better to be lucky then to craft 'em. smile

With kind regards,

Rashar.

apprentice
apprentice
Didn't know deers drop sinew, I killed 4 and only saw antlers. Vendors not always have sinew until you reload unknown times and around level 15 it becomes boring to check all that vendors. The whole crafting process of a bow is more tedious in my case with two archers in the party.

I wonder why they didn't make raw meat to be the source of a sinew like ore is for the steel and iron.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by xiery
With or without Pet Pal I always end at 22 level so it doesn't really matter, only for the extra content.
Without petpal, my team came pretty close to level 24. I am pretty sure that it is possible with that talent.
Since mages are so easy to respec you can always get rid of that talent later.
Know it All adds 1 point even on maxed base (15) INT so Moloch can't give you that extra point.
Does it really matter if you have 30 instead of 29 INT? Imo mages get far more value from an additional turn action point (since Glass Cannon chars get +2 TAP for +2 SPD but have to increase their CON by 2 as well, 1 TAP effectively costs 2 attribute points = how much you get for trading the talent away).

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Nice too know that I won't be spreading my Mage too thin. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard