Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
They said on Twitter yesterday that they are working to improve the co-op dialog stuff. I guess we'll need to wait and see what they are changing.

journeyman
journeyman
Could you link the tweet?

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/496575756152352768

@BlondeNerd Happy to hear you're having fun! One of our coming updates will make following dialogs in co-op a lot easier btw

(Note I'm not BlondeNerd smile )

old hand
old hand
Great to see the tweet!

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Wish they would have taken the time to post in their OWN forums rather than resorting to twitter. Either way, still good to see they are working on it. Just hope its the right solution to the problem, and not another awkward work around that leaves people still struggling.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Glad to "hear" about that tweet!

Last edited by Elminster; 06/08/14 09:05 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Glad they have at least let someone know they are working on it. It is too bad they have not hired somebody to follow each of them around and document things like productivity, lunch choices, and the composition of their bowel movements. It is truly unfair that they don't let the forums know the consistency of their stool each day.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I really hope the solution they implement resolves the problem fully. All that's desired is for the option for the non-dialogue player to see the full dialogue in the same way that the person in dialogue does, that includes seeing what dialogue options are available.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Heroic_Spur
I really hope the solution they implement resolves the problem fully. All that's desired is for the option for the non-dialogue player to see the full dialogue in the same way that the person in dialogue does, that includes seeing what dialogue options are available.

Agreed. Even with the dialogue logs it seems like a poor solution. The dialogue box should pop up on both players' screens with maybe only the non-active player's screen only showing the npc's dialogue and the active player's selection.

old hand
old hand
One issue I can see of an identical dialog screen popping up for all players is trading. That would need to be reworked so trading isn't part of the dialog screen and entering trading outside of going into conversation.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I for one absolutely do not want the "same dialog window" solution many seem to. The second party should not be forced into the dialog if they don't choose to open it.

The primary advancement this game had made in turn based party based RPGs is to break the "follow the leader" standard which reduces every player other than the "leader" to an observer. My friend and I only play Divinity together and usually do our own thing in town until somebody says "hey, you should listen to this conversation", at which point the other opens the journal and follows along.

Yes, this system needs improvement so as to be smoother. A simple on screen notification that the second player cab click on or not would be best. But to force the old standard of every party member being handcuffed to the " talker" is a step backwards.

Z
apprentice
apprentice
Z
Originally Posted by jfunk
I for one absolutely do not want the "same dialog window" solution many seem to. The second party should not be forced into the dialog if they don't choose to open it.

The primary advancement this game had made in turn based party based RPGs is to break the "follow the leader" standard which reduces every player other than the "leader" to an observer.

Right, easy solution to BOTH things, to make everyone happy:

1. When one player starts a dialog, the 2nd players is given the option "Watch Dialog? Yes / No"

2. If Yes is selected, they proceed to see the dialog as if they had initiated it. If No is selected, they can continue playing as they currently do now in the game.

This isnt rocket science, nor is it a functionality that is hard to program. Its something that just wasnt concidered, or had time allocated to doing it.

Last edited by Zewks; 09/08/14 12:00 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M

The primary advancement this game had made in turn based party based RPGs is to break the "follow the leader" standard which reduces every player other than the "leader" to an observer. My friend and I only play Divinity together and usually do our own thing in town until somebody says "hey, you should listen to this conversation", at which point the other opens the journal and follows along.

Yes, this system needs improvement so as to be smoother. A simple on screen notification that the second player cab click on or not would be best. But to force the old standard of every party member being handcuffed to the " talker" is a step backwards.

This actually sounds like the perfect solution.

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Yep, the latest patch did not have a fix for this, so they are sure taking their time on this, which gives us hope that it is something this elaborate. Maybe next week we shall see..

H
stranger
stranger
H
@jfunk, I don't seem to recall asking anything to be forced in my post. It's pretty clear that an option is what has been requested at all stages.

D
stranger
stranger
D
When the game first came out, a friend and I got through about an hour of playing COOP Multiplayer before giving up; we couldn't stand to continue due to the coop dialog clunkiness.

There is so much conversation and exposition in the dialog system that it was exceedingly painful and immersion-breaking to have to keep opening the journal and read the active conversation as it progressed.

No, the work around of using the journal is not one we can live with. It completely spoils the mood of the game.

Despite the co-op dialog, we both liked the short bit of the game we saw. We'll get back to playing it if/when they implement a way for us to both be able to start, follow, and contribute to a conversation without having to jump through hoops. Until then the game is shelved. Hopefully they make a very clear announcement regarding this fix (if it ever happens) since I only have so much patience of coming back here to check if they've addressed it or not.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Even the system in NWN2 worked better for us playing co-op. It was annoying that we all got forced into dialogs when one person was forced in but it was better than struggling with the journal or chat window.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zewks

The primary advancement this game had made in turn based party based RPGs is to break the "follow the leader" standard which reduces every player other than the "leader" to an observer.

Right, easy solution to BOTH things, to make everyone happy:

1. When one player starts a dialog, the 2nd players is given the option "Watch Dialog? Yes / No"

2. If Yes is selected, they proceed to see the dialog as if they had initiated it. If No is selected, they can continue playing as they currently do now in the game.

This isnt rocket science, nor is it a functionality that is hard to program. Its something that just wasnt concidered, or had time allocated to doing it.

Seems wonderfull, although I must admit scalable UI fixed a lot of my issues since my screen with talk/combat log is bigger now

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
E
stranger
stranger
E
Will the co-op dialogs be fixed? There a lot of advices from players how the problem could be solved, it is better then nothing. Bought 2nd copy for my friend in Germany, but for a new player it is hard to follow the story without normal dialogues. Please, tell us about the progress in fixing the dialogue system

Support
Support

As mentioned above, the next patch will include improvements to the co-op dialogue system. Last week there was a tweet saying it was planned for release probably this week, but unforeseen circumstances could delay that (and it wasn't a firm estimate to start with).

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard