Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by lowlife

Like i said, puzzles, quests and maps are overly complicated, i forget about what i'm doing all the time. I know it's too late for fixing something like this but i wonder, am i the only one who thinks like this?

Puzzles? They are too few of them and they are easy. It's basically just there, just explore, check everything and read books/notes/tombstones.

Maps? There is like... one or two maps? Take the key from A, go to B, use key to open hidden C (D person mentioned it's there somewhere along with 'muahahahaha' before he died). And there are waypoints.

Quests? Just explore. Talk to people, read stuff. It's like walk in the park. You cannot block/bug a quest or anything.

Game is perfect as it is! I wouldn't mind if puzzles were bit more challenging (but I'm not that picky)

veteran
veteran
@ LeBurns; Use locked door. It opens? You have key. It doesn't? You don't.
What's with manually dragging a hundred keys?

And I would agree about the pixel hunting, but you do have to inform me about the "random item in another area" part with examples... since I don't think that ever happens, but go ahead and prove me wrong.
If you mean the Star Stones, then I would say... duh, and slap you. I hope it's something better than that.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
@ LeBurns; Use locked door. It opens? You have key. It doesn't? You don't.
What's with manually dragging a hundred keys?

SNIP

That's how it is now. That's how I like it. Others seem to not want to know what key is for what, meaning you'd have to check every single one of them one at a time. Not what I want, and I doubt many would. But that was my point.

veteran
veteran
No it's not... you simply click a door/box, if you have the key it opens... you don't need to know it's that one, there's no manual dragging required. You can never look at the keys tab in your inventory EVER and nothing goes lost...

addict
addict
No it's not... you simply click a door/box, if you have the key it opens... you don't need to know it's that one, there's no manual dragging required. You can never look at the keys tab in your inventory EVER and nothing goes lost...

I KNOW! Others want it more complicated. I DON'T. Read the posts.

veteran
veteran
He's just saying he wants all keys to read 'key' instead of 'key for this specific location'... not manually having to drag keys over to a door to unlock them, while all are called key to boot.

stranger
stranger
As far as I can tell, it is all apart of the style of the game, it's made to be this way, and as a few other users have said, this is probably why it is so popular at the moment. Personally, I'm loving it and have only just put a few hours in. If you pay close attention to the details, what is happening and who is saying what, it really isn't too complicated that it becomes unenjoyable. It's all apart of the charm smile

''And so it was, that the herald of Cthonian war mastery stormed the burning violet fields of Kerrul'thar, enraptured in glorious twilight as he reigned destruction upon the brave Atlantean heroes!''
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
At times I feel like I'm playing the old kings quest games where you had to pixel hunt and combine random items to make things work. A few puzzles I just have to brute force my way through since there wasn't a enough info on what you needed to to in the area. Sometimes I can't tell if stuff is just bugged. I know the there was one switch near the winter king that you have to be at just the right camera angle in order to hit it even once your perception spots is. The immaculate prison is another I have multiple prison keys for it, but none of the doors will open.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Brian Wright
At times I feel like I'm playing the old kings quest games where you had to pixel hunt and combine random items to make things work. A few puzzles I just have to brute force my way through since there wasn't a enough info on what you needed to to in the area. Sometimes I can't tell if stuff is just bugged. I know the there was one switch near the winter king that you have to be at just the right camera angle in order to hit it even once your perception spots is. The immaculate prison is another I have multiple prison keys for it, but none of the doors will open.

Just remember that when you finally find the candle and head down stairs to already have the hammer and stake with you so when you open the casket you can kill the vampire. Man those games were such a headache.

And you're right, this game reminds me of that a lot. Too many times I find myself running to the forums for help with some area, quests, puzzle. Sure the second time I play the game all will be fine, but this first time it's very frustrating. I wonder if the first time I played BG1 if it was like this. I replayed that game so many times that I just don't remember. I'm sure 10 years from now I'll think this game was just perfect also ... if I haven't croaked by then.

T
T
for the puzzle, I don't think it's too complicated; all but one, for me, have more or less explicit clues, you just need to be thorough, checking everything that might give you info...rats are your best friends.

I do, however dislike button hunt (again and again~); high perception should make it easy though.

the only puzzle or "solution" I haven't find clues is the closing the rift: that only kind of weapon can destroy the bloodstone. well, maybe it's in some books or conversations somewhere?

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Originally Posted by LeBurns
Just remember that when you finally find the candle and head down stairs to already have the hammer and stake with you so when you open the casket you can kill the vampire. Man those games were such a headache.

Speaking of which, you can craft wooden stakes in D:OS, but there isn't a single vampire in the entire game.

What gives, Larian?? Way to be a tease.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by teardropmina
the only puzzle or "solution" I haven't find clues is the closing the rift: that only kind of weapon can destroy the bloodstone. well, maybe it's in some books or conversations somewhere?

Spoiler alert;
Pretty sure Zixzak explicitely states that upon entering the area

T
T
Originally Posted by teardropmina

Spoiler alert;
Pretty sure Zixzak explicitely states that upon entering the area

yeah, I picked it up on my second playthrough, the first time I didn't pay attention. s

P
stranger
stranger
P
IMO the pixel hunting for random switches is a bit unnecessary, since at that point, you obviously know what you're supposed to do, but have to pour over every square inch of the screen. There should be a perception check that just highlights them.

G
stranger
stranger
G
Originally Posted by PandaCatapault
IMO the pixel hunting for random switches is a bit unnecessary, since at that point, you obviously know what you're supposed to do, but have to pour over every square inch of the screen. There should be a perception check that just highlights them.

It would be nice if ALT highlighted containers, switches and doors in addition to loot (like it did in BG2) but oh well.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by gritz
Originally Posted by PandaCatapault

It would be nice if ALT highlighted containers, switches and doors in addition to loot (like it did in BG2) but oh well.

I've thought about that, but I fear some rooms would just light up the whole screen. It can be pretty bad just highlighting the items you can pick up. Besides where would all the fun be in the button hunt if the button got highlighted. laugh

stranger
stranger
I like it, how it is. I donï½´t like ideas like quest items should be not droppable etc. Why? This game is hard and old school and I love it this way. You just have to use your brain, read books and conversation. And there could be a option in game settings, if you want to highlight also switches etc. But I would not use it smile

R
journeyman
journeyman
R
Originally Posted by tarasis

Please show me the other players that love having important quest items mixed in with everything else in their inventory to be sold, lost, etc. You said there are lots of them, so go ahead.

I'm one. I'll take it one step further, I'd rather the game didn't tell me what the key I just picked up is for. Seriously how the hell does my character know that that particular key is for an ornate chest?

I can see myself trying a door and finding it locked. Then I open my inventory and move each of 100+ keys from my inventory one at a time to see if any of them will open the door. Then after 20 minutes of completely wasted time and frustration I push myself away from the PC and my chair runs over the cat, killing it. Why do you hate cats?

I believe the frustration sometimes also stems from the fact that the game only checks the keys in the character interacting with the door. Meaning if Rodeerick picked up the key 5 mins ago, and Scarlett tries the door, it will remain locked.

Player would be fooled into thinking they don't have the key, when in reality they do.

But usually I just fireball locked doors. Easier that way.

pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Some men aren't looking for any keys... Some men just want to watch the doors burn... grin

S
stranger
stranger
S
I have to agree somewhat. There's at least one reason modern games have these features that us "old school" gamers don't like: the removal of frustrating game mechanics.

In a way, it's like buying a classic car. Nobody buys a classic car for their daily commute because they prefer it "old school". It's great to look at and talk about, but in practice it's a huge pain in the butt to use.

One example, the "respec" feature wasn't around in the 90's and early 2000's. If you messed up your character's specs, you had to re-roll. That could mean losing dozens or hundreds of hours of gameplay, and it's extremely frustrating.

Nobody can honestly say they enjoy developing a character for months, only to restart over again because you reach a point where you can no longer progress (if you put points into the wrong skills).

Eventually, everyone just uses the same template that's known to work, and innovation goes out the window.

My point is that all this "hand-holding" everyone keeps talking about was integrated into games over many years in order to reduce frustrating experiences. Eventually these became the standard. Some of it I don't like, but most of it I do. A game that is less frustrating is more fun.

Last edited by Soylent; 18/08/14 07:08 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard