Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545055 18/08/14 12:56 AM
R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
When there seems to be a consistent factor in the threads turning into an abuse flinging catastrophe isn't very productive. It's becoming quite clear what certain individuals are out to do but nothing is being done but limiting the places others can voice their opinions. I believe punishing all for the actions of 1 is the incorrect way to run this forum.

RtM #545059 18/08/14 01:41 AM
Support
Support

Posts were edited, topics locked, warnings given (and ultimately ignored), and a temporary ban given. Another temporary ban may not be enough to make a difference, but this one is double the length of the last. If his next return is similar, the next ban will be a couple months (at least) rather than a couple weeks.

RtM #545060 18/08/14 01:57 AM
R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Maybe it's just my impatience for idiots but I don't see what multiple temp bans can accomplish. I understand you're trying not to jump the gun so to speak but you ban spam accounts which are less damaging IMO. Don't ever ale me a mod up

RtM #545070 18/08/14 02:27 AM
Support
Support

Most people can learn from experience. I may be unrealistically optimistic in this case...

RtM #545072 18/08/14 02:28 AM
R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
hahaha

RtM #545073 18/08/14 02:29 AM
D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
Hey, 2 weeks is 2 weeks, I won't complain.
I doubt he's going to change his attitude, but if he doesn't - and he keeps getting banned - then maybe he'll just stop posting.

RtM #545099 18/08/14 03:17 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by RtM
When there seems to be a consistent factor in the threads turning into an abuse flinging catastrophe isn't very productive. It's becoming quite clear what certain individuals are out to do but nothing is being done but limiting the places others can voice their opinions. I believe punishing all for the actions of 1 is the incorrect way to run this forum.

I hope it didn't come across as punishing everyone else, I was attempting to contain the initial unpleasantness. As I'm only a forum moderator I can't warn or suspend users, so that was the only means at my disposal. As it turned out, my attempt wasn't a success anyway.

I figure there's no reason the topics can't be re-opened for more polite discussion, though I think both got so far off track as to have been rather ruined...

J'aime le fromage.
RtM #545203 18/08/14 06:16 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey you gotta fight with weapons at your disposal, I for one am very grateful for any action taken.It was not language I like to hear and/or am accustomed to on Larian forums.

Thank you mods, but I fear you will be receiving this kind of notifications again when his ban is finished :s

And yes I know we shouldn't react, but at times it was just getting..too messed up for words.That dude/girl has a serious attitude issue.

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
addict
addict
Let me guess, while I wasn't paying attention, Sir tx3000 got banned again?

Well, aside from that, I think nothing is stopping anyone from opening a new thread on the same topic if they feel there's still room for discussion (which there probably is if the discussion got derailed before it even came to any conclusions).

And if closing threads is such a problem, why not resort to deleting posts, trimming a thread back to its relevant content, if it gets out of hand.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
RtM #545242 18/08/14 07:55 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
The problem why a few threads had to be closed was because someone was re-editing the posts to their original state AFTER we tried to remove the most offensive wording.

RtM #545322 18/08/14 09:12 AM
I completely support the actions of the moderators on this forum. There has to be a limit to what is acceptable. I really do not care that much about bad language. It normally tells you more about the person doing the swearing than the person it is aimed at. I do, however, care when somebody attacks another forum user. It is ok to argue. The argument might even be heated with a lot of yelling. It is still civilized in my view. But when somebody cross the line and starts to attack his/her opponent instead of his/her arguments, then it is time to put a stop to it. That is just unaccepted behavior. If allowed to continue it will create a toxic atmosphere that will damage this forum.

ivra #545396 18/08/14 11:16 AM
addict
addict
While that is mostly true, or at least something I agree with, I do have to disagree with two things into one point:

A devolved conversation that hasn't yet reached blatant fallacy stage is still beyond what is normally considered a civilized conversation.
If we want to get really pedantic about it, a proper argument is something I spent half a year studying during a course in my first year and involves a lot of things to get right. Slip up one too many points on the checklist and your seemingly nicely layed out argument is actually closer kin to nonsense.

And yes, I know all this, and I still make fallacies and false statements.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
RtM #545412 18/08/14 01:03 PM
addict
addict
I hadn't been reporting him, but I did set him on ignore about two weeks ago so it was no longer an issue. Unfortunately even while on ignore he disrupts threads as other are trying to respond to him (WHY?) and such, and then the threads get locked.

Hope the ban works but with all the spam we see here I know it's all to easy to make and account here.

Elwyn #545440 18/08/14 02:17 PM
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by Elwyn
The problem why a few threads had to be closed was because someone was re-editing the posts to their original state AFTER we tried to remove the most offensive wording.

At that point, I would have banned the guy until 3000 AD....

recluce #545485 18/08/14 09:23 PM
R
RtM Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by recluce
Originally Posted by Elwyn

At that point, I would have banned the guy until 3000 AD....

up

Originally Posted by EinTroll
Let me guess, while I wasn't paying attention, Sir tx3000 got banned again?.

I had wondered, i had seen Raze's comment that that was enough for 2 weeks and figured he might be banned. I'm surprised he hasn't appeared as a different user / got someone else to post for him, as that seems to have been his M.O. on Steam.

Regardless, I'd vote to reopen the old threads, possibly deleting his and our follow up posts if they are too off tangent from the thread itself.

Link Copied to Clipboard