Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
I think it would be best if they widened the hitbox to include the animations. And add a backstab cone or something that widens with your scoundrel abilities.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
+1 for backstab position indicators.

It's just ridiculous that mages - OP as they are - get tons of combat support. Max range hints. LoS hints. AoE radius circles. (BTW, it's a shame you can't turn at least AoE circles off in the options. Remember Baldur's Gate where you had to guess the radius of that fireball? And if you guessed wrong and hit your melee it could be a real "aw crap" moment. That was fun. Oh, and Lightning Bolt bouncing off walls and harming everyone in its path was great too. I wish Blitz Bolt in D:OS worked like that.)

Melee rogue is a tricky class to play. Not to mention that you basically have to pick a specific set of talents to be effective while other classes are much less talent-dependent. Larian, please. Make rogues' lives less miserable. It's much more reasonable to know which way your opponent is facing (and therefore where you need to be for a backstab) than the exact radius of a fireball before it explodes.

Last edited by prodigydancer; 20/08/14 03:17 PM.
B
stranger
stranger
B
+1 for backstab position indicators.

Greta idea!

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Larian, please don't leave us in the dark here. Just let us know if you acknowledge the problem and are planning to tackle it anytime soon.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Aramintai
So, I've been playing with a rogue type character and while backstab damage can be impressive it is very finicky.
My main gripes are these:
-Enemies constant animation more often that not made me miss a hit.
-There is no indicator for a backstabbing position. I've been wasting precious AP to find that one spot behind their backs that allows for a backstab and it's even more frustrating when they're knocked down.

So my suggestions are:
- improve enemies hitboxes so that their animation doesn't make you miss hitting them if you're in the right position.
- Create a colored cone behind enemies backs that shows you the correct backstab position angle. Allow it to be seen only by Scoundrels and make it more wide with more points invested into Scoundrel.

I don't agree on the cone, the current backstabbing design avoids a pointless hand guiding "click here" and involves a light learning curve.

I agree more on the animations of some enemies, and frankly on screen shaking too. Now increase the hit box can have bad side effects like totally hiding another enemy.

Last edited by Fend; 22/08/14 09:43 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
the thing is ,normally I can position quite well..but some things (plants ed) have no face! smile

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Exactly. I would prefer it if they make the current backstab cone a little wider, but they need not add a cone for backstabbing. Just increase the range to around 45 degree from the back of the character and I would be a lot happier. Along with the animation fix, though.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Aramintai

-There is no indicator for a backstabbing position.

Of course there is, the mouse indicator is changing to a knife to let you know you're on the right position.

It's more than enough to me, worst case scenario you're losing 1 AP to position properly but sometimes it costs 0 due to your quickness.
Widening the hitbox could be an option though.

The rogue is already VERY powerful making crits and all, mine is just very fine and does not need more indicator. And If I'm losing 1 AP, what are we talking about here...

The only thing I don't get with the rogue is the fact that the 50% +dmg talent does not seem to work when you're making backstabbing crits + invisibility.
I've tested it several time and my damage is quite the same when I'm invisible or not as long as I'm backstabbing.

Last edited by Aguilar; 22/08/14 02:04 PM.
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Aguilar

The only thing I don't get with the rogue is the fact that the 50% +dmg talent does not seem to work when you're making backstabbing crits + invisibility.
I've tested it several time and my damage is quite the same when I'm invisible or not as long as I'm backstabbing.

Are you talking about Guerilla? That does the damage while you are SNEAKING, not INVISIBLE.

On a side note, I just discovered the tactical camera and it makes it a lot easier(at least for opponents with a face) to find the backstab position. But I still think the backstab cone needs to be widened a bit along with the fix for character animations.

Larian, taking five minutes to put in a quick reply would be great. No need to propose a solution right now. Just let us know if you are considering it, or it's not on the cards.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Thanks a lot, this is where I regret to play in French and not English, the translation made the Guerilla talent unclear smile

addict
addict
Those minutes you think are no less than 5 actually involve carefully reading the whole thread, checking with the staff, fetching your best PR person (who's probably doubling as PR when not busy), get them to write a carefully worded reply.

Just saying that a company and those that represent it are not as free to post things as the common forum user is.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Those minutes you think are no less than 5 actually involve carefully reading the whole thread, checking with the staff, fetching your best PR person (who's probably doubling as PR when not busy), get them to write a carefully worded reply.

Just saying that a company and those that represent it are not as free to post things as the common forum user is.

I work in this industry and I totally second this.

Larian has seen the request of increasing the backstab box area, there's no need to be impatient.

I'm sure we'll see it in a future patch, in the meantime go and enjoy this amazing game!

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
Originally Posted by Aguilar
Originally Posted by EinTroll

I work in this industry and I totally second this.

Larian has seen the request of increasing the backstab box area, there's no need to be impatient.

I'm sure we'll see it in a future patch, in the meantime go and enjoy this amazing game!

Yeah, I work in software development as well(mobile apps, specifically) and I do understand it. And the main reason I am impatient for it is because I am enjoying the game a lot. Rogues are fun. rpg006

W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Originally Posted by Fend
and involves a light learning curve.

There is no 'learning curve'. One knows what one should be doing, but in a lot of instances the games itself screws up your efforts.

Rather than 'learning' a technique, it works out, in practice, hit and miss.

There needs to be some kind of 'hint'. Guess work isn't very effective when your enemies know exactly what they are doing and pull it off 100% of the time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard