Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Normally try to avoid whining on game forums, but since I think the previous whining caused you to make the changes you did here goes...

Why on earth would you patch a non-mmo game base on 'Hardcore!!!!" complainers comments? 80% resist cap, henchmen not leveling after you hire them anymore...neither of these make any god damn sense. The game I paid you for is no longer the game im playing. And since I bought it on steam I cant even roll the god damn thing back again to play the game I was loving. Seriously, this is some horrible decision making! My only hope is someone puts out a mod to change these things back the way they were. Ya, maybe I suxor or whatever, but F-U I do not expect this kinda crap in a CRPG and it is exactly why I do not play MMO's.

For the love of god there were already mods out there to make the game harder for those whose self worth is based on their video game meta-achievments. I just want something to lose myself in for a couple hours a day and forget my soul chrushing job.

I was not born with enough middle fingers.

N
stranger
stranger
N
I agree, it is frustrating when developers change the software you already paid for and are using w/out your consent. I didn't realize Steam had removed the "don't autoupdate" option but they have. A strong reason to buy games in a manner that allows you the user to control when/if you get updates. People who bought the game on GoG apparently are able to choose to apply patches.

We should be able to choose if/when we apply the patches. It's simple. I can look at the patch notes and make that call for myself.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
I guess next Divinity game will be an MMO so D:OS (with its heavy emphasis on co-op) is just a testbed. And we're the testers. smile

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Then they would not get my moolah. MMO's are like hamster wheels for insanely bored people, which is evident by looking at their forums. I suppose they make money though and that is the end goal of any company.
Seriously lost respect for Larian at this point.

old hand
old hand
It truly pisses me off on what they've done with the game since beta. I used to play Larian games addictive threw all hours of the night. I no longer feel compelled to even start the damn game up it is that much of a mess. In beta it was so much better, I was up until 2 and 3 in the morning playing. Now I don't know what to think, keep coming here hoping for a decent patch and it only gets WORSE!

I'm sure the game will eventually be modded like plenty of others that either become out dated or the developers just simply ruin..I can't believe this is happening HERE of all places. It's only a matter of time before a fan cracks the main campaign to finally mod/fix it.

Honestly, if I wanted to play a game that does nothing but frustrate and piss me off, I would go and get Super Ghouls and Ghosts and play without cheats. Life is too damn short to be pissed off at a game that isn't fun to play any more.

Truly disgusted, even with the hot fix to make zombie and leech work again. What a bloody damn mess we got here frown

Last edited by LightningLockey; 22/08/14 08:24 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
addict
addict
Originally Posted by ncostes
I agree, it is frustrating when developers change the software you already paid for and are using w/out your consent. I didn't realize Steam had removed the "don't autoupdate" option but they have. A strong reason to buy games in a manner that allows you the user to control when/if you get updates. People who bought the game on GoG apparently are able to choose to apply patches.

We should be able to choose if/when we apply the patches. It's simple. I can look at the patch notes and make that call for myself.

You didn't buy the game, you bought the right to play it. There is a difference. The game's owners can change it anyway they see fit. It's their game, their vision.

veteran
veteran
Honestly, if placing a hard cap on resistances "broke such a great game" for you, you must have thought very little of this game to begin with. I mean, apparently your entire love for it hinged on the ability to buff your resistances to the point where elements like fire and lava healed you instead of hurt you, the rest of the game be damned. Right?

I think maybe you're blowing this out of proportion just a whee bit. And that's pretty much why feedback like this thread should be taken with a grain of salt.

stranger
stranger
I am going to hold my breath and throw a tantrum about it.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
It pisses me off because I was loving the variable strategies I could use and the fact that I wasn't pigeon holed into playing the game one set way. I realize some people enjoy marching they way they are told, the world needs janitors, but I do not. I had a heavy fire mage and a tank that I spent allot of time building a resist set up so my mage could heal him with a fireball while damaging baddies. I was absolutely happy and was working on a poison and ice set to do the same. Then they broke my f'ing entire game and hours of work with one patch that I cannot avoid or reverse.

I am not starting over, I will wait for a mod and warn my friends and coworkers against buying this game as I cannot guarantee next week swords will ot require you tap a simon-says type pattern 'game' before you swing them to "add difficulty and challenge!".

The henchmen thing was absolutely unnecessary and limits the usable pool of henchmen to whoever is in my current level range. I liked being able to hire a level 1 and basically create my own henchmen with the skill points they had after leveling to my level. This is a quality of life thing, but forces me to pick between 6 henchmen instead of 30something.

Most importantly, I did not want these changes in my SINGLE PLAYER game. I could care less how you feel about it as I am sure you could care less how I feel about it. For me it ruined my 30+ hours invested in my current game. So I am going to come here and vent in the hopes someone from Larian notices it and considers another option for those of us that agree. Random chucklenuts opinion, although respected, has no bearing on my current nerdrage.

enthusiast
enthusiast
That doesn't sound like you were using variable strategies. Quite the opposite. It sounds like you were pigeon-holing yourself into one specific, extremely effective (arguably overpowered/broken) strategy, even to the extent of "hey this works well for fire, i'll do the same exact thing with poison. and ice."

In any case, there's a simple mod out right now that reverts MaxResistance to 200%. You can use it and then you can still find some fun in this game.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
journeyman
journeyman
lol wtf

Maybe Larian should add a godmode talent

K
stranger
stranger
K
Sounds like some people want an easier difficulty mode wink So far, I like the changes and fully support them.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Danarchy may be raging a bit, but I think he's right on his points. The changes to make the game 'harder' are clearly bandaids stuck on to try and 'fix' problems with the system, but they do so by being diametrically opposed to the game. They don't feel like part of the game- the equipment and crafting system is clearly designed to let you get over 100% resistances, and there's portions of the game where you need 100% resistance to get to something/somewhere special. As for followers, frankly, I find it odd that each /character/ has their own XP in this game instead of party XP. The game is so much about the partnership that the fact that I level a fight or two faster than my partner (due to a few deaths over the course of the game) is always weird to me.

Really, I'd just like the option to opt out of these changes. Can they stick that in the settings somewhere and make everyone happy?

old hand
old hand
Max resistance to 100 shouldn't be too much to ask for. The healing effects argued here worked both ways. You can be healed if a fireball hits you and you've got 120 fire resistance, the same effect will happen if your opponent has 120 fire resistance. A perfect example was the "mushroom battle" to break the barrier and do the White Witch quest. I thought it was really cool and required only melee damage to kill them off. I actually wish most of the game functioned this way.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
There are numerous (damn near every boss) instances in the game where using an specific type of element will heal the enemy. Not allowing us to do the same in reverse seems to be....inconsistent really. But thats not the big issue. I have built my current characters around a now broken strategy and need to start over, minus one potential way to play for no reason whatsoever.

And the statement " extremely effective (arguably overpowered/broken) strategy" is an exact example of the problem I have with this. That's an MMO problem, not a single player problem. If I am playing a competitive game where I have an unfair edge using some specific mechanic then it can be sensibly OP/Broken/unfair. If I am playing a single player game, simply do not use the freaking OP ability in YOUR game, leave mine the fuck alone. That mindset is killing gaming for the rest of us that give 2 craps about balance.

I am really happy to hear there is a mod out there though, thank you very much for that I am looking for it now.

I never denied I was nerdraging, in fact I made a point of stating it outright as that is what seems to get noticed on message boards. Hell look at the response I have gotten already =P

H
journeyman
journeyman
H
QQ
QQ more
QQ some more
HEY HOW ABOUT I CAN SPLIT MYSELF IF HIT BY ELEMENTAL DAMAGES TOO! DA MUSHROOM CAN DO THAT. ITS ONLY FAIR AND MAKES SENSE!!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Danarchy
And the statement " extremely effective (arguably overpowered/broken) strategy" is an exact example of the problem I have with this. That's an MMO problem, not a single player problem. If I am playing a competitive game where I have an unfair edge using some specific mechanic then it can be sensibly OP/Broken/unfair. If I am playing a single player game, simply do not use the freaking OP ability in YOUR game, leave mine the fuck alone. That mindset is killing gaming for the rest of us that give 2 craps about balance.

You're absolutely entitled to nerdrage, and this is the ideal spot to do it. I don't mean to sound critical of your own playthrough tastes, the game is a means for user enjoyment, so you should absolutely go for what is enjoyable to you. As you mention, it's a single-player game and you using what I called an "extremely effective (arguably overpowered/broken) strategy" hurts no-one. I do, however, disagree with your point that balance passes only matter for competitive games. This game isn't yours, just as it isn't mine. It's Larian's. They're absolutely entitled to make adjustments if they think that they got their numbers or systems wrong on a first try, don't they? This game will be played for years to come I'm sure, it'll do well whenever it pops up on a Steam Sale. Taking all of our feedback and using that to improve the game in future patches is, overall, immediate inconveniences notwithstanding, probably for the best.

It would be wonderful for the game to have been released in a perfect (in the creators' eyes) state, but that's a pissy wishwash. Ain't happening. For a few years now, the reality of most month-1 players of PC games has been: welcome to the extended beta. I think it's still valid, and natural even, to rail against that when it causes yourself a headache, but I'd argue the practice isn't going to go away and it might be time to just get used to it. Better, more well-rounded games - overall, for the majority, or just for the creators, which is equally valid - are usually the end result.

EDIT: sorry, one last thought I forgot to include, then I promise I'll shut up :P

It's my view that when a dev puts a modding tool into their game - as Larian have done with D:OS - they then get that much more allowance to be headmistress-strict with offering their own intended designers' version of how the game is supposed to play, with the specific experience they want to provide for the player of their game. Hopefully I don't need to expound on the 'why' of that.

Last edited by Noaloha; 22/08/14 10:24 PM.

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
E
stranger
stranger
E
Originally Posted by Danarchy
henchmen not leveling after you hire them anymore

????? Seriously?

Ok, enough for me, I'm not gonna start a new game each time they completely change the rules
I'm fed up with the initial run on Cyseal before action really starts, i've already done it dozen of times during beta.
I like to plan my progression, but changing things this way got rid of my patience.
The time i'll be lvl10, new sets of rules may appear and i'll have to restart again? No thank you

Last edited by Exca; 22/08/14 10:29 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
I don't have a problem with that 80% cap! But did anyone noticed that resistance maniplated buffs/debuffs ignore the fact that you have over 80% resistance?

Let's have a look at my warriors fireresistance:

+115 from Equipment
+25 from Weather the Storm

effective I have 80% (thanks to the cap), but when i receive the status "warm" and surprise, surprise: I have 70% fireresistance, now. So i can throw away "Weather the Storm" and a lot of my equipment.

I see here two solutions:

1. give us back our old resistances (remove the cap) for having resistances like this, you have not the highes damage.

2. fix it that a reduction of resistances first get subtracted from your "over 80% resistances"

Example:

+115 from Equipment
= 140

effective I have 80%

now get "warm":

+115 from Equipment
= 140
-10 from "warm"

effetive I have still 80%

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Olitsch
So i can throw away "Weather the Storm" and a lot of my equipment.

As people have already pointed out the patch makes melee claracters even more miserable while mages are still kings of the battlefield.

P.S. Mage nerf incoming ca. patch 150 I suppose. smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard